Proposed 2014-2015 Lineup

JGC21

So Don just to clarify, Wayne Simmonds is not on your team? Cause he goona fight when necasary

If the NHL implements stronger punishments for fighting, Simmonds is gonna keep his fists in his gloves.

It's not about stopping the players from fighting. If a player wants to fight? Go for it. But it's up to the NHL to have proper punishment for players delaying the game to incite violence. At the very least, a fight should lead to five minutes of four on four hockey. The NHL could then go further by implementing fines for fighting (which would quickly cull out the goons who make $600K to scrap. If they lost $10K per fight, they'd stop fighting and coaches would stop calling them up). Instead of an instigator penalty, any player that fights another player who doesn't take off their gloves and is no way a willing participant is immediately given a five game suspension for intent to injure.

Do that and maybe the game will stop this nonsense about "policing the game". That said the referees too need to start stepping up and getting immediately involved instead of letting players go. That's so stupid. Yes officer, just let the gang fight go on. Only step in when one of us gets shot. Thanks buddy.

"When necessary", shouldn't happen but obviously does, as it does in NFL. But even NFL testosterone-steroid laden player rosters don't fight often and fans don't even expect a fight to happen and dosent hurt the popularity one bit.

And those guys are a tad more physical than NHLers are, but why don't they have a Untalented No-skill Goon Lineman or Linebacker on their rosters to clean up when a cornerback lays out a wide receiver with blindside hit?

I don't want to get rid of the Wayne Simmonds, however I do see the point of getting rid of the goon. Staged fights are bullshi, and do nothing for the game. However there will always be the player like Chris neil and Lucic who can actually play hockey but like to play the intimidation game. We will always have fighting in the nhl but toning it back and getting rid of the goons is a good idea.

Gotta say that CC's point about the point of this conversation, like of fighting in the game, vs the need of players who can and will make a fight a part of their game.

I fully believe every team needs some grit, but I do agree with Don about liking the fights or watching the fights, it makes me uncomfortable these days as CC said, with the severe injuries and our knowledge these days about concussions. I would prefer to have never seen the Parros incident, that's for sure.

The policing the game thing is real also, like it or not. The players need to respect each other, and in this day and age of big career threatening hits, in place of a hit to separate player from puck, and the stick work that goes on instead of a scrap, and the hits from behind, and the Chris Neil's of the world still out there playing, you're never going to see the NHL PA agree to no fighting over night, and you would be delusional to carry on thinking that way at this point....

and there is very much intimidation factor in the NFL, the difference is the way the league is run, with the cut and so is your contract.....

Think Ndamukong Suh ...

Guest Stogey24

This subject is all about opinion, it could go on all day. The thing is most teams in the NHL at this very moment have a security guard player, that's just the way it goes. I also read somewhere that fighting was down about 20% from last year, so maybe the NHL is beginning to change, but for the time being, the goon is still very much alive. So, sure; a team can take the high road with not acquiring a certified fighter, but be aware, because 95% of the other teams out there have a guy on their roster that is going to look to get under the talented players skin and give them a rough ride all game. I just read an article where Hartnell actually stated he can't wait to play Crosby and Malkin so he can drive them insane this year.... I know Hartnell is more than a goon, but at times you need a player who can take control of situations on the ice. Its the way she goes folks rather you like it or not.

It sounds as though we all agree on one thing: we'd all prefer to see players like Neil or Lucic, who can genuinely play hockey AND be impressively intimidating when dropping the mitts, than pure goons. In a way, a team that carries a pure goon is simply admitting that it hasn't been able to develop one of those bona-fide hockey players within its system. It's a confession of organizational deficiency, like a team that is forced to sign a one-dimensional M.A. Bergeron because it has no defenceman who can shoot the puck on the PP.

Further thought: that Zoot Suit still hasn't signed a goon, despite his stated belief in the need for pugilists, might suggest that Tinordi has a pretty strong inside track to make the cut as a regular or semi-regular this season. Certainly he fits the profile of a guy destined to take a regular shift while also being capable of beating the snot out of anyone out there. Odds are that Bergy is waiting to see if he can step up before wasting cap space on Parros II.

maybe crisp will be that lucis/neil type next year too. we definitely need an intimidating presence on d and another at forward. these guys must also be able to play hockey, yes. tinordi will handle the d, but who will the forward be? until we can develop a crisp or Nevins..we probably should pick someone up..who's available (and affordable?) because lets face it, we have nobody up front.

maybe crisp will be that lucis/neil type next year too. we definitely need an intimidating presence on d and another at forward. these guys must also be able to play hockey, yes. tinordi will handle the d, but who will the forward be? until we can develop a crisp or Nevins..we probably should pick someone up..who's available (and affordable?) because lets face it, we have nobody up front.

There's plenty of them available...Bissonnette, Barch, Kassian, Westgarth, Gillies, MacIntyre, Brookbank, and many others are all on tryouts somewhere. If they decide they want another Parros-type goon, they'll have no trouble finding one for at or near the minimum salary.

There's plenty of them available...Bissonnette, Barch, Kassian, Westgarth, Gillies, MacIntyre, Brookbank, and many others are all on tryouts somewhere. If they decide they want another Parros-type goon, they'll have no trouble finding one for at or near the minimum salary.

Poor george sure taking a kicking these days. Yes he is a goon, no real skill to speak of but boy can that guy do a face plant. :) We don't want a goon , we want a hockey player who can hit, fight if nec, and score goals. Where is the rocket when you need him?

Poor george sure taking a kicking these days. Yes he is a goon, no real skill to speak of but boy can that guy do a face plant. :) We don't want a goon , we want a hockey player who can hit, fight if nec, and score goals. Where is the rocket when you need him?

Simmonds or Kane would be the closest to something like that. When Evander Kane KOed Matt Cooke it reminded me of the Richard/Dill fight in The Rocket.

I don't remember anyone calling Big John Ferguson a goon (at least not to his face). Averaged 40 points a year and beat the crap out those that needed it.

They just don't make em like that anymore.

Guest Stogey24

Gillies is an animal

Remember how scary John Leclair was? By no means a goon, but man, you did not want this guy deciding you needed a punch in the face. That's the kind of players needed, just like the old days when Robinson and Lapointe were tougher than the goons in the league. Respect has to be taught, and someone has to do it.

Here's hoping Tinordi turns into a Robinson type guy, shut down the best, and shut up the pests....

yikes, that's a lot of pressure to be the next robinson! yes he did shut down and shut up, but man he had a hell of an offensive flair as well. the guy won the 78 conn smythe for good reason. tinordi should maybe compared to a craig Ludwig. defensive stalwart, played aggressive, cleared out the trash in front, kept it simple on the breakout, and held his own physically.

We don't need comparisons. Let Tinordi evolve into a bad-ass shut-down defenceman who can kick the crap out of anyone if need be, and I'll be happy. If he cracks the top-4, that'd be even better (imagine how intolerable it would be to play the Habs with both Emelin and Tinordi back there??), but if he tops out as a #5 defenceman that'd still be a valuable asset given his tools for keeping opponents honest.

One can imagine the physical punishment being doled out by Subban, Emelin and Tinordi - that sound you hear is me drooling. Sure hope this kid can do it.

We don't need comparisons. Let Tinordi evolve into a bad-ass shut-down defenceman who can kick the crap out of anyone if need be, and I'll be happy. If he cracks the top-4, that'd be even better (imagine how intolerable it would be to play the Habs with both Emelin and Tinordi back there??), but if he tops out as a #5 defenceman that'd still be a valuable asset given his tools for keeping opponents honest.

One can imagine the physical punishment being doled out by Subban, Emelin and Tinordi - that sound you hear is me drooling. Sure hope this kid can do it.

amen brother amen

Yes hope Emelin knee is 100% now and back to being the freight train he was prior to injury. He has to be a step or two ahead, even being at training camp this year and starting season healthy.

Jeez guys, wasn't suggesting we compare Tinordi with Robinson, just saying it would be nice to have Tinordi turn into that shut down guy, that can also fight in his(hopefully) 20 mins of ice time someday, like Big Larry did....