2014-15 Scoring Predictions

dlbalr

I actually want to see Subban get more SH time. I think he's got the skills to do it, and it will turn him into a better overall defenseman to be occasionally used in a role where clearing the puck out of the zone is his only priority.

On the other hand, can you imagine our SH goal production if Subban and Weise are killing penalties together? Opponents would have to execute flawlessly, or 2 on nobody breakaways would be commonplace.

markovs workload will undoubtedly be lessened to try to keep him somewhat fresh..to whom will the minutes go?

I'm digging the idea of Subban - Gilbert being the top pair with Markov taking over for one of them if need be for the second PP pair.

SH minutes are completely open though. Weaver/Emelin/Tinordi when he's in the lineup, when he's not I'm guessing Subban will be playing some short handed. Same with Markov. Not sure if Beaulieu can. If he does that makes things easier.

If Price wants a good workout, yes put Beaulieu on the PK, or on the PP, because he basically coughed up puck for a breakaway/game in Hamilton, trying his fancy junior moves on the point, that dosent work vs pros..

If Price wants a good workout, yes put Beaulieu on the PK, or on the PP, because he basically coughed up puck for a breakaway/game in Hamilton, trying his fancy junior moves on the point, that dosent work vs pros..

Eh, I don't put any responsibility on him for his work in Hamilton. He always plays better in Montreal than Hamilton. I'll judge his Montreal work only.

I'm digging the idea of Subban - Gilbert being the top pair with Markov taking over for one of them if need be for the second PP pair.

That's not going to work. Half the reason for acquiring Gilbert was to get our defense pairings working on their natural sides. (Note that Murray, Bouillon and Gorges shoot left. Last year, the habs had only ONE right-handed defenseman the majority of the season until we acquired Weaver at the trade deadline. We always had two guys playing out of position.)

Subban shoots Right. (Team up with Markov, Beaulieu, or Emelin on the PP.)

Gilbert shoots Right.

Weaver shoots Right.*

Pateryn shoots Right.*

Markov shoots Left. (Team up with Subban or Gilbert on the PP.)

Emelin shoots Left.

Beaulieu shoots Left.

Tinordi shoots Left.*

*- will see no powerplay time (or time at all, in some cases.)

Guest Stogey24

Will it though? Subban will once again take around 25 while Markov should drop to around 22. The bottom pairing will be 15 minute guys at best (Weaver plus Beaulieu/Tinordi), leaving 43 minutes for Emelin and Gilbert to split. If those get split somewhat evenly (and they probably will be fairly close in ATOI), Gilbert's looking at seeing minutes around what he had last year. Even if Markov plays minutes similar to last season, Gilbert would only probably drop to the high 19/low 20 minute range.

If Beaulieu secures a roster spot and starts putting up numbers on the score sheet; this D core starts to look seriously dangerous in the offensive zone.

If Beaulieu secures a roster spot and starts putting up numbers on the score sheet; this D core starts to look seriously dangerous in the offensive zone.

Hopefully Beaulieu learns not to look seriously dangerous in the defensive zone.

Guest Stogey24

Hopefully Beaulieu learns not to look seriously dangerous in the defensive zone.

Lol, true dat.

I honestly think this could being beaulieu's breakout year. He has a perfect opportunity to quietly put up some numbers this year. Montreal's transition game could get a serious boost if Bealieu decides to find his game too.

Eh, I don't put any responsibility on him for his work in Hamilton. He always plays better in Montreal than Hamilton. I'll judge his Montreal work only.

Not sure how you can turn total blind eye to that?

Sure can be treated with grain of salt, but one PK Subban tore up AHL in his 1 year there and a lesser like such as Greg Pateryn was 2nd in AHL in defense goals on that crap team and Beaulieu was not a 1st star very often, when he should be skating circles around the Joe Finley's/Mike Commadores.

Most successful NHLers are 'driven and highly competitive', which I havent seen from Beaulieu yet. He seems to be more relying on god given talent and skill, than Gallagher-like work ethic.

But if he can put it all together he still should be a nice productive offensive d-man (but just never be a PK or shut down d-man).

Beaulieu plays better in the NHL than AHL. It's just a fact. It's why his demotion was so stupid last season. He's clearly the type who needs to be challenged and in the AHL he got bored. Beaulieu ain't Subban. Subban is a top NHL superstar and still has to work for respect. If Nathan puts up 45 points he'll be set for life.

Considering Beaulieu's play in the NHL thus far ...which on a good day can be described as "lackluster", I'm really glad I haven't made the short drive down to Hamilton to see him play more often.

I would still go see Hamilton, with lots of god very young pros to check out; like Dietz, Hudon, Bozon(maybe), de la Rose (likely), Thrower (not a lock), Tinordi?, Bennett, Carr, Pateryn.

Beaulieu is some fast/quick skater, good sized (still weakfish), nice shot and has super puck skills; but, can he be consistent, keep it simple (minimize his turnovers) and actually puts up some points.

But a Rene Bourque has all the parts to be a killer power forward, but is between the ears that seems lacking, hope NatetheGreat isn't similar?

Gilbert is a long haired kid from the NCAA. He's more likely to drive around in a van and solve mysteries than clear the crease.

lmfao

..and never a more worthy avatar!

If Parenteau doesn't hit 50 points, I'll be dissapointed and will officially call this summer a failure for not replacing Vanek.

Lately, it's quite a triumph for any Hab to hit 50 points. Only three did last year and two of those only reached that mark very late in the season. Three years ago there were four (the top line plus Plekanec) while the year before that only Plekanec hit that. A lot of offensive players see their numbers decline when they come to Montreal so I tend to ere on the side of caution when projecting newcomers now.

I'm thinking this is the year Galchenyuk goes off and scores a bunch. As far as a prediction goes, I'll say 23g 38a

I don't think that's outside the realm of possibility. He's going to get more minutes with Plekanec, and if Malhotra can take some of the defensive faceoffs, maybe a center that isn't named David Desharnais can play some soft minutes.

• 7 months later...

Pax - 41-29-70

PK - 18-38-56

DD -13-41-54

Plek -21-31-52

PAP -17-33-50

M79 - 7-37-44

G11 -21-22-43

G27 -17-26-43

Eller -15-22-37

G77 - 6-28-34

Sek - 13-19-32

W22 -12-15-27

BP8 -10-14-24

MM - 7-15-22

Nate - 2-16-18

Bork - 8-7-15

Price - 70gp 44-19-7

2.38 .933 8so

More importantly...

:halm:

Werd.

Now that our Fantasy Focus series is done, here are my own predictions:

2014ScoringPredictions.jpg

I did way better than usual this year although there were still some terrible projections in there...

I was one point off for Subban (60 points), Desharnais (48 points), and Gallagher (47 points) while being just two off on Galchenyuk (46 points). I was also one off on Sekac (23 points between his two teams) although that doesn't really count since he finished elsewhere. Being only 4 goals away from the actual team total isn't too bad either.

On the bad side of the picks, I didn't see Plekanec's offensive resurgence coming though and even though I thought I aimed low on Parenteau, I wasn't even close in the end. I also overestimated a lot of the lower blueliners.