Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

Off of today's crew:

Keith Aulie (EDM)

Mike Kostka (NYR)

TJ Brennan (CHI) - major offensive guy in the minors

Keaton Ellerby (WPG)

Even Steven Kampfer (NYR) would be a passable short-term #7 plug if the plan was to give Tinordi just a few weeks before bringing him back.

There should be a few decent ones on waivers tomorrow. I'm not looking at the training camp battles to see who those might be but I'm sure management is on top of that if they're pondering a claim.

If I had to guess, I'd say Montreal would be looking for someone with a two-way contract... the kind that Bouillon allegedly refused to sign. Also someone who can play on either the left side or right side. Also someone who is related to Carey Price.

Ellerby fits that bill.

If they wanted ellerby, they probably could have gotten him in the Budaj deal, no?

Could there be a second part to the deal? We will all know by Tuesday at five. What we can say for sure is that Montreal has talked to Winnipeg.

If Montreal was to go after a guy who can fight and play #7, I'd say go after Dalton Prout on Columbus.

He'd be nice. But I don't see him hitting waivers. Guys like Kostka and Ellerby aren't ideal but if they can be short-term stopgaps that allow Tinordi to rediscover his form in the minors, it may be worth adding one of them.

The Habs announced they have released Bouillon from his PTO. Does that mean Tinordi made the team, or is a waiver claim coming?

No Bouillon! Wouldn't break my heart one bit if both Beaulieu and Tinordi make 23 man roster (obviously a short stint in AHL may be better for the big fellow, but screw it)

That may not have been the worst idea, especially if he isn't going to play much at the start.

I was in favour of him going down. Looks like if he's up, we're working with:

Patches - DD - Parenteau

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher

Bourque - Eller - Sekac

Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Bournival, Moen

14 forwards, 7 d and 2 goalies is 23, what do most teams normally run with 22?

Most season-opening rosters are 23 unless teams are really tight to the cap. You'll see some curious AHL demotions from a few teams tomorrow to stay under the LTIR threshold (they'll then of course be recalled Wednesday).

Guest Stogey24

I was in favour of him going down. Looks like if he's up, we're working with:

Patches - DD - Parenteau

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher

Bourque - Eller - Sekac

Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Bournival, Moen

I have serious doubts about Parenteau. I wont give him shit yet, but he has dogger written all over him

I have serious doubts about Parenteau. I wont give him shit yet, but he has dogger written all over him

If he dogs it, he'll be down to the third line. Sekac looks great with Plekanec and Gallagher has chemistry with DD and Patches. We have some depth options there.

He's mostly offence. If he's scoring we'll be happy. If he isn't we won't be. He's basically our poor man's Vanek.

Bouillion: "I'll be a Canadien forever". Class till the end. I really would have liked to see him as a player- coach in Hamilton (although I know these arrangements are rare these days) but I am happy that Tinordi is staying up....unless of course, as dlbair speculates there is a wavier claim in the works.

Thanks Frankie B and happy trails