Hockey might be played tonight. Bruins @ Bell Centre, 7:30PM (SN360, RDS)

I own a sports bar here in Connecticut..

For the first time in forever all my male (and female) customers were quiet during the anthems.

While drooling.

Nuf said.

It made me think of steelworkers. Riveting!

That said, I don't mind when she uses the fake emotional tugs and trills with the US anthem like all the Americans do. It's never sung as a national anthem, but more like the old Frank Sinatra song, "I did it my way.". Exactly what one should never do with an anthem. They are to be sung exactly as the author penned it. It is a national anthem.

If she starts to do the same thing with our national anthem however, blazing... awe inspiring beauty notwithstanding, I will scream bloody murder. Anthems are songs that are specifically intended NOT to be "All About Me". Leave that to the other anthem.

Personally, I don't think Beaulieu's playing on the wing is going to hurt his development as long as it doesn't become a permanent arrangement. After all, Ice time is ice time and dressing is better than sitting in the press box. I do not see it as a permanent move...I think it was simply what was stated: they wanted to dress Gonchar, but they didn't want to end up with 5 D against Boston if he couldn't cope due to travel fatigue or other issues.

Like Weise, in very limited minutes he made a monster impact. In particular, if NB can consistently make the kind of move and pass from the back end that he used to set up Sekac's goal, he wont have to worry about D ice time for that long.

All in all, I am not that worried about the development of our young D men...Numerous young players struggle mightily when promoted to the show when they are not 100% physically or mentally ready for the role that is thrust on them---usually on a bad team. When was the last time you heard: " Team X ruined that young player by bringing him along too slowly and giving him too much time to develop"?

Overall, I am still basking in the afterglow of the team's best performance of the season and a comprehensive smashing of the Ruins in every possible respect. As an added bonus Gonchar actually looked pretty good and Weise buried the penalty shot. I couldn't have asked for anything more---except a couple o' more PP goals :rofl:

I'm with you. I think we caught a glimpse of our team in that game, and I have the conviction that we are going to see a lot of that team showing up, especially in the second half of the season and playoffs. An 82 game regular season is of course utterly insane so there will be flat spots when the unnatural and money driven schedule kills all natural human enthusiasm. Of coure ... I still want my 3 games per week though.... I know... .. I know..... :bonk:

For the first time in forever all my male (and female) customers were quiet during the anthems.

While drooling.

Nuf said.

God Quebec girls are beautiful! I'm moving back.

Guest Stogey24

God Quebec girls are beautiful! I'm moving back.

We were in Montreal a couple months ago. One the best cities I've ever partied in! The women are on another level.

While drooling.

Nuf said.

She was something to look at, but her rendition of the Star Spangled Banner belonged at a high school game. Women in general (except Ginette Reno) don't make the grade as anthem singers. The Anthem isn't the time to get your moment in the sun, and if I hear another twenty-something songbird change the melody to the SSB, I might throw a beer bottle at my television set.

That said, I don't mind when she uses the fake emotional tugs and trills with the US anthem like all the Americans do. It's never sung as a national anthem, but more like the old Frank Sinatra song, "I did it my way.". Exactly what one should never do with an anthem. They are to be sung exactly as the author penned it. It is a national anthem.

If she starts to do the same thing with our national anthem however, blazing... awe inspiring beauty notwithstanding, I will scream bloody murder. Anthems are songs that are specifically intended NOT to be "All About Me". Leave that to the other anthem.

100% agree. The worst part is when they hold that note at the end to get their applause. Save it for karaoke!

If you're a bubble-gum pop singer - 99% of which have very ordinary voices and vocal ranges, and very little genuine technique - you simply have no business singing national anthems, which are designed for a formal operatic delivery. This whole thing of allowing American Idol-type pseudo-singers (for whom a pointless profusion of grace notes are the sole marker of "great singing") to warble and mangle their way through the anthems is pathetic. Hell, it's practically a marker of cultural decline: from Roger Doucet to...this??

The only way to do it apart from the "operatic" style, IMHO, would be a very, very simple, unaffected, plain delivery. Someone like Nick Lowe or Jenn Grant could do it, maybe. It's certainly not going to come from these bubble-gum types who are the absolute negation of "unaffected."

They should have tried moving him before the season began - maybe they did. There may have been someone to bite after his playoffs, but MB should have known what to expect with Bourque.

It's a twofold thing. It's not just how they treated Bourque personally, but how his treatment would be perceived by the whole team and for any player considering playing for the Habs. They'd ask, "What does a guy have to do?", and rightly. The immediate facts were pretty obvious, but a very fair shot had to be given to him and it was. I think that's a sign of good management. If our results were worse, despite the bad overall play, then perhaps this might have accelerated the action, but I doubt it. I think it was exactly the right thing to do. We are dealing with human beings and justice is more than just a word.

If you're a bubble-gum pop singer - 99% of which have very ordinary voices and vocal ranges, and very little genuine technique - you simply have no business singing national anthems, which are designed for a formal operatic delivery. This whole thing of allowing American Idol-type pseudo-singers (for whom a pointless profusion of grace notes are the sole marker of "great singing") to warble and mangle their way through the anthems is pathetic. Hell, it's practically a marker of cultural decline: from Roger Doucet to...this??

The only way to do it apart from the "operatic" style, IMHO, would be a very, very simple, unaffected, plain delivery. Someone like Nick Lowe or Jenn Grant could do it, maybe. It's certainly not going to come from these bubble-gum types who are the absolute negation of "unaffected."

Personally I could care less about the anthems being sung. I don't turn the sound up until the nonsense is over. The NHL is not a patriotic thing. You have a whole bunch of players management losers and more from a bunch of countries all over the world. Mostly Canadians who are playing for American teams. I could understand the Canadian anthem being sung at a game with 2 Canadian teams. I have no Idea why the American anthem is sung. There are not that many Americans in the NHL. Yes I know there are more now than there used to be and yes I know patches is American, so now that I got that off my chest, you are free to FLAME AWAY. :flaming:

The U.S. Anthem is sorta made for that style, but though she sang it alright, she got the lyrics wrong a bit.

I can't comment on her Canadian anthem lyrics as she mostly sang them en français, que je ne parle pas. However, I wasn't commenting so much on her singing. Vancouver benefits most by having the person my ears adore most living there. When she sings the anthem she does it right.

We were in Montreal a couple months ago. One the best cities I've ever partied in! The women are on another level.

In Toronto a couple of years ago, someone observed... "In Montreal, men are men and women are women, and they're happy about that."

Vive la difference!

The U.S. Anthem is sorta made for that style, but though she sang it alright, she got the lyrics wrong a bit.

I can't comment on her Canadian anthem lyrics as she mostly sang them en français, que je ne parle pas. However, I wasn't commenting so much on her singing. Vancouver benefits most by having the person my ears adore most living there. When she sings the anthem she does it right.

Good old Sarah!

Wow.

That was amazing.

Personally I could care less about the anthems being sung. I don't turn the sound up until the nonsense is over. The NHL is not a patriotic thing. You have a whole bunch of players management losers and more from a bunch of countries all over the world. Mostly Canadians who are playing for American teams. I could understand the Canadian anthem being sung at a game with 2 Canadian teams. I have no Idea why the American anthem is sung. There are not that many Americans in the NHL. Yes I know there are more now than there used to be and yes I know patches is American, so now that I got that off my chest, you are free to FLAME AWAY. :flaming:

actually, you are not alone in that.....not by a long shot.

I don't want to hear a vocal range higher than a tenor, preferably baritone.

Personally I like a good soprano like when Lucic and Chara gets a stick in the knackers. I could name a few others but those 2 Aresholes are a good start.

• Upvote 1

Personally I like a good soprano like when Lucic and Chara gets a stick in the knackers. I could name a few others but those 2 Aresholes are a good start.

Unfortunately Lucic is usually the one sticking someone else in the "knackers."

• Upvote 1

Posted Yesterday, 05:30 PM

The Chicoutimi Cucumber, on 15 Nov 2014 - 3:58 PM, said:snapback.png

Beautifully put ChiCuke... I salute you... and I agree with the tenor / baritone comment too. Sarah's rendering was nice and respectful, but could have used a baritone standing guard over it.

I also agree with the comment that anthems are a little dated over an 82 game ethnic mishmash league, but while granting that , it's one of the few times in a year when I actually do get to hear our anthem in a sport close to our hearts, so I tip in favor of keeping them, while trying to settle my stomach at the Me-istic US renderings. I suppose one should measure one's moral outrage appropriately to a more profound metric, but the anti-national anthems really do signal decay.

On a more positive note.. we largely resist such debased crap in Canada, and may we continue to do so. It really is OUR anthem after all, and who else will defend it...or stand on guard for it?

Unfortunately Lucic is usually the one sticking someone else in the "knackers."

He sure does have the knack alright.....

Sorry....

Guest Stogey24

Post it as you would any picture (copy/paste the pic directly or copy the URL and post it in the image link - a little frame beside the blue < >).

Thanks

THE best anthem singer in all of pro sports is the guy in Ottawa. Now that's how it's done!!

As for the wider question of whether anthems should be sung at sporting events, I support it for two reasons:

1. It's part of the tradition of the sport. Why take away yet another longstanding practice that doesn't hurt anyone? Haven't we had enough pointless crapping on tradition in pro sport? Remember, corporate logos on the CH are not far off.

2. Although the players are international, and the franchises are businesses, the team nevertheless bears the community's name - these are the guys that Montreal, or Toronto, or Vancouver, etc., are symbolically sending out to do battle in their names - and sporting events are community events, rare moments when we come together and cheer for the same common goal. The city is a community, and it exists within the framework of a national one. Singing the anthem acknowledges that communal framework by referencing our highest point of political/civic allegiance. That's why it makes sense.

Because of (2), the anthem in Montreal has always been a fraught, and especially powerful, event. There have been times in the history of this fragile country when it was very moving to hear the Bell Centre crowd singing "Oh Canada." There have been other times when singing it was a powerful statement of allegiance in a context where many of your fellow fans refused to sing along. That's an important - because rare - opportunity for Montrealers to express their love of country.

Now there will be cosmopolitan souls who think all communal allegiance is stupid. Obviously those people will disagree with everything I say above. And then there's the rest of us - I daresay a sizeable majority - who recognize that allegiance and belonging matter, and have no problem taking two minutes to acknowledge that.

THE best anthem singer in all of pro sports is the guy in Ottawa. Now that's how it's done!!

As for the wider question of whether anthems should be sung at sporting events, I support it for two reasons:

1. It's part of the tradition of the sport. Why take away yet another longstanding practice that doesn't hurt anyone? Haven't we had enough pointless crapping on tradition in pro sport? Remember, corporate logos on the CH are not far off.

2. Although the players are international, and the franchises are businesses, the team nevertheless bears the community's name - these are the guys that Montreal, or Toronto, or Vancouver, etc., are symbolically sending out to do battle in their names - and sporting events are community events, rare moments when we come together and cheer for the same common goal. The city is a community, and it exists within the framework of a national one. Singing the anthem acknowledges that communal framework by referencing our highest point of political/civic allegiance. That's why it makes sense.

Because of (2), the anthem in Montreal has always been a fraught, and especially powerful, event. There have been times in the history of this fragile country when it was very moving to hear the Bell Centre crowd singing "Oh Canada." There have been other times when singing it was a powerful statement of allegiance in a context where many of your fellow fans refused to sing along. That's an important - because rare - opportunity for Montrealers to express their love of country.

Now there will be cosmopolitan souls who think all communal allegiance is stupid. Obviously those people will disagree with everything I say above. And then there's the rest of us - I daresay a sizeable majority - who recognize that allegiance and belonging matter, and have no problem taking two minutes to acknowledge that.

Exactly. ;)

Seriously, I would save national anthems for international competitions, when players represent/play for their country.

This tradition in pro sports is as stupid as if they were singing national anthem before a movie at the theatre.

I'd much more support "Team songs" like You Will Never Walk Alone sang in Liverpool before soccer games.