Penguins At Habs, 7 PM

having weisse-pleks on the 2nd pairing for OT is just dumb. playing not to lose in OT???

DD and Pax start ot again. Like last game ot game, DD falls while losing draw, opposition almost scores on carey 5 seconds in.

Pleks gave the puck away all night. Lucky to get a point. we'll take it. Pens a good team.

Tough loss and an even tougher break in OT with Plekanec breaking his stick on the PK. He played it as well as a player with no stick could but 4 on 2.5's usually wind up with a goal in the net.

Thought he dropped it, never seen it break.

Did anyone find out why the player who leads the nhl in face off wins was scratched? injury?

Yes, given their shootout record... I could see why they would play for the shootout.... Penalty was unfortunate.

You cant play to protect a tie 4 on 4 to get to the shoot out. Especially if the other team has Crosby , Malkin, Kunitz to take part in said shoot out................and the habs record is good because parent has almost every winner...............and he was not in line up.

Weiss and pleks going out in ot ahead of chucky, gally, sekac or even Eller was just what the man said........a stupid call. Wiess....bah

When Pleky gets his stick broken it becomes a 4-2 with less than 2 minutes left in overtime. Shouldn't a Habs player have charged a Pens player and get a penality? I know it would have been a 5-3 but still better IMO than a 4-2.

They didn't show the replay.. was it Letang who broke Pleky's stick ?

Who the hell is supposed to score on that line?

I think that line is more.. Plek, you molest Sid. You two will make it a line.

5-3 followed by a 4-3 in OT. I cant help but feel like the refs had too much influence on the outcome. BUT if it were the other way around...

I know this word get used a lot but Price has been OUT STANDING. Like, all alone in the middle of the desert at night setting off fireworks while playing an amped bass and ripping Les Claypool solo's.

Too many midgets on the ice,

They got rid of one following the game as Andrighetto was sent down. They've had a look at him, now it's time for Thomas to get a few games I guess.

Did anyone find out why the player who leads the nhl in face off wins was scratched? injury?

No, he's a healthy scratch. Therrien has been talking about how the fourth line isn't being offensive enough and Malhotra, despite his faceoff strength, is a bit of a black hole offensively. (I'd still have him in but I suspect wanting more offence was the reason for him sitting.)

Just reading through the posts, and now all of a sudden a bunch of people think the P/P is crap. We have now lost 2 games in a row that were winnable IF WE HAD A P/P. Of course that is just my opinion. The guys should have won this game. Taking Malholtra out was a coaching error. I understand why Le Genius did it. But you can't always rely on luck. When the chips are down and you are in your own end with an important face off is why you signed him. You did not sign him to score goals. It would be nice if he did but he can win a f/o so that may not lose you the game. These are the decisions by Le Genius that make me question his abilities. This game was winnable, the guys played hard, after they woke up. We should have won this game and everyone including Le Genius owes Carey an apology.

When the chips are down and you are in your own end with an important face off is why you signed him. You did not sign him to score goals. It would be nice if he did but he can win a f/o so that may not lose you the game. These are the decisions by Le Genius that make me question his abilities.

Exactly!

Just reading through the posts, and now all of a sudden a bunch of people think the P/P is crap. We have now lost 2 games in a row that were winnable IF WE HAD A P/P. Of course that is just my opinion. The guys should have won this game. Taking Malholtra out was a coaching error. I understand why Le Genius did it. But you can't always rely on luck. When the chips are down and you are in your own end with an important face off is why you signed him. You did not sign him to score goals. It would be nice if he did but he can win a f/o so that may not lose you the game. These are the decisions by Le Genius that make me question his abilities. This game was winnable, the guys played hard, after they woke up. We should have won this game and everyone including Le Genius owes Carey an apology.

I wanted Malhotra in, but I don't see how he would have prevented the goal from Malkin. He wouldn't have been on the ice for the 4 v 3, either.

Manny Malhotra has one point in 38 games this year. That's pathetic.

Derek MacKenzie, a fourth line center signed by FLA to play a similar role has 3-3-6 in thirty nine games. Even Marcel Goc has three points.

There's no reason not to try something different when the guy on the bench is on pace for one of the worst offensive seasons in history. (Seriously)

I don't think anyone doubts the PP problem. It is quite obvious. I think more people are just saying "hey look, we can win 5 on 5 and come from behind and win. These are things the habs could not do for 15 years. This pp is turning into a problem. No doubt.

Guest Stogey24

I don't think anyone doubts the PP problem. It is quite obvious. I think more people are just saying "hey look, we can win 5 on 5 and come from behind and win. These are things the habs could not do for 15 years. This pp is turning into a problem. No doubt.

I think we're going to see a trade very shortly. They need a true finisher. Can't always rely on Max.

As for Lars Eller, he's really come along defensively, but offensively its not there.

When Pleky gets his stick broken it becomes a 4-2 with less than 2 minutes left in overtime. Shouldn't a Habs player have charged a Pens player and get a penality? I know it would have been a 5-3 but still better IMO than a 4-2.

They didn't show the replay.. was it Letang who broke Pleky's stick ?

Good call. Never thought of that

I think that line is more.. Plek, you molest Sid. You two will make it a line.

5-3 followed by a 4-3 in OT. I cant help but feel like the refs had too much influence on the outcome. BUT if it were the other way around...

I know this word get used a lot but Price has been OUT STANDING. Like, all alone in the middle of the desert at night setting off fireworks while playing an amped bass and ripping Les Claypool solo's.

:rofl: Yes he has been that good.

They got rid of one following the game as Andrighetto was sent down. They've had a look at him, now it's time for Thomas to get a few games I guess.

No, he's a healthy scratch. Therrien has been talking about how the fourth line isn't being offensive enough and Malhotra, despite his faceoff strength, is a bit of a black hole offensively. (I'd still have him in but I suspect wanting more offence was the reason for him sitting.)

How about getting powerplay going. Manny is not playing because we have no power play? Trying to squeeze a goal or two out of a fourth line that plays about 6 minutes a night. Yea, good call. Manny is the only hab that leads the NHL in anything, yet is a healthy scratch because Thomas might get a goal? Brilliant.

I wanted Malhotra in, but I don't see how he would have prevented the goal from Malkin. He wouldn't have been on the ice for the 4 v 3, either.

Derek MacKenzie, a fourth line center signed by FLA to play a similar role has 3-3-6 in thirty nine games. Even Marcel Goc has three points.

There's no reason not to try something different when the guy on the bench is on pace for one of the worst offensive seasons in history. (Seriously)

Nope. No reason not to admit the results were the same either...................fourth line never came close to scoring.

Plek is due for some points soon. He hasn't been productive for a while. I have no issue with playing Plek in any situation. Weisse? Very strange. Must have been a hunch. Weisse gets the odd clutch goal.

You generally use eight forwards in OT. Drop the fourth line, you're down to nine. The other one to sit would then logically be one of Prust or Weise. As a result, Weise got one 40-second shift in overtime.

Indeed. Just once it would be nice to be able to score both at ES and on the PP. To me, the PP problems are on the coaching staff. We've got practically the same players as last year and last year it wasn't this bad. Whoever took over the PP is doing something wrong. Like the whole "two-lefty" pairings they kept trying. Not only does it not give you one timers at both points, but it took PK off the top unit, which is insane.

To be fair, Florida rolls their 4th line more than Montreal and has even given MacKenzie PP time, allowing him to net his 2nd career PP goal. We almost never let our 4th line out in anything other than a purely defensive situation and his average shift length is 15% less than everyone else on the team. Pretty much, they don't give Manny an opportunity to get points.

Indeed. Just once it would be nice to be able to score both at ES and on the PP. To me, the PP problems are on the coaching staff. We've got practically the same players as last year and last year it wasn't this bad. Whoever took over the PP is doing something wrong. Like the whole "two-lefty" pairings they kept trying. Not only does it not give you one timers at both points, but it took PK off the top unit, which is insane.

To be fair, Florida rolls their 4th line more than Montreal and has even given MacKenzie PP time, allowing him to net his 2nd career PP goal. We almost never let our 4th line out in anything other than a purely defensive situation and his average shift length is 15% less than everyone else on the team. Pretty much, they don't give Manny an opportunity to get points.

i don't think they ever gave the 2 lefty even close to a fair shake... last i checked its still marky and subban together. gonchar was used with markov for very few opportunities before they went back to the same old same old on the PP and just recently with the gonchar/beaulieau pairing have we seen the 2 lefties together mind you sparingly with the PP winding down on the 2nd wave

No they dont. Then bench him for not getting any goals. Wanting him to score...............giving him the slimmest chances of doing so. If you really wanted to get him involved offensively and had a brain for coaching, put him on the second or third line for a while. Maybe when you are up by a couple in the third. Maybe plop him on your pathetic power play for a half shift here and there. Could be he bangs in one or two goals, gets his own confidence going. Not rocket science, almost every coach has done that with fourth liners since they implemented the fourth line. But that might cut into DD's ice time and Uncle Michele cant have that.

It was almost as if they did everything they could late, to lose that game, coaches and players alike, outside of Price.

Glad Andrighetto is sent down. Whoever it was that said too many smurfs on the ice was right... DD needs a third skate to be able to stay on his feet.. Jesus.

Why can't we just make a defensive line for the third line, with Pleks the center, and if MT insists on Prust as 3rd liner, then put him at left wing, and another defensively sound player on the RW, Bournival maybe for his speed??

Plekanec simply doesn't have any offensive vision, never finds an open winger, and he shot the puck from bad angles every chance he got, and thus give up possession. He is defensively awesome, and offensively challenged mightily, and it's getting old with me... Malhotra could score if given same opportunity as Pleks.

Should have been able to win this game, and there were physical liberties taken on our best players all night, and nobody answered...

Grit needed as much as scoring me thinks.

It was almost as if they did everything they could late, to lose that game, coaches and players alike, outside of Price.

Glad Andrighetto is sent down. Whoever it was that said too many smurfs on the ice was right...

Why can't we just make a defensive line for the third line, with Pleks the center, and if MT insists on Prust as 3rd liner, then put him at left wing, and another defensively sound player on the RW? Plekanec simply doesn't have any offensive vision, and shot the puck from bad angles every chance he got, and thus give up possession. He is defensively awesome, and offensively challenged mightily, and it's getting old with me...

Should have been able to win this game, and there were physical liberties taken on our best players all night, and nobody answered... disgusting ya ask

me.

Well said Korp. Chucky took two major hits, one sent his head crashing to the wall. Nobody batted at eye.

Bruins flyers game yesterday after noon. 7 seconds after opening face off young bruin hit hard but clean open ice. 7.5 second McQuaid is punching the guy out for hit.