HABS vs KINGS March 5

Habs30/31

Well at Galchenyk's age;

Max had a whooping 3g 14points in 52games and was considered a bust.

So we shouldnt put cart before horse quite yet!

Gally went number 3 over all .............habs have not had a draft pick like that since when? 1980

Pacs went 22nd over all ...............habs draft one of those picks every year. Expectations were never as high for pacs as they were for Chucky.

Pacs has gone beyond expectations.

Chucky has not lived up to mosts...........yet.

Tell me, when Chucky was the talk of Montreal after draft day, and during his rookie season ("wow, he look special")................that two years later you expected him to be a 45 point WINGER, deemed not ready to even play center in the nhl by his own coach..............on a team that lacks top center men too boot. Just saying.

Would like to see the coach show some confidence in him and put the kid at center and let him grow as a player there............if DD got injured and was out for the season, all of a sudden MT would say "i think chucky is ready"

Give chucky forty games at center (starting now) and he'll blow dd out of the water as your number one center. Give him a hundred and forty games and we'll be sayng DD who?

Didn't somebody post a few weeks back that Chucky himself said he didn't feel comfortable at centre and preferred the wing?

Didn't somebody post a few weeks back that Chucky himself said he didn't feel comfortable at centre and preferred the wing?

Yea, I'm pretty sure Chuck is on the wing because that is where Chuck wants to be.

Galchenyuk listed as 6'1 203lbs now, on pace for 52pts.

I fully expect that after 3rd NHL off-season training, that he is gonna get stronger, confident and be a better player next fall.

As per normal some fans unrealistic expectations for a prospect shouldn't be how he is judged.

And of course he is playing under Therrien so he shouldn't be expected to develop as he well as he would in Detroit, Anaheim or Chicago... obviously.

I'm not really a Hartley fan, but you have to wonder how Galchenyuk would do if he got the same opportunities as Monohan and Guedreau have in Calgary. Monohan in his second year, already has 2 straight years of 20 goal years and Guedreau in on pace to top 20 goals.

I think Galchenyuk's main problem is he plays for the Montreal Canadiens, and the fickle fans take a shot at every player, at some point every season.

Even Price is not beyond the wrath of fans who have a new whipping boy after every loss.

Galchenyuk is as MoLG said:

Chuck wants to play. Period.

He's a top 25 left winger in the league as a second line LW. I would say that is pretty good.

And that is pretty damn good ya ask this satisfied + fan.

Kid is the best talent we have seen in our lineup for a long time, and NOBODY is going to put up huge points, in their second full year, playing with Plekanec, they will however learn how to play the game from both sides of the puck, from arguably the best all round defensive center in the NHL.

Maybe he would be putting up more points, as the first line center, with Patch on his wing, and that will come as it has before, I'm not worried, or disappointed one iota...

• Upvote 1

Chucky said "i am comfortable at center or wing, its not my decision. I'll play where ever they want me to"

Check the interview after he was moved back to wing.

MT wants Chucky,Pleks,DD all on the top six. Only two can play center.

As some one said on earlier post..........chucky will not be playing center as long as DD is around.

Chuck wants to play. Period.

He's a top 25 left winger in the league as a second line LW. I would say that is pretty good.

except that he is a natural centerman

Sean Monahan is a beast though..so please stop comparing AG to anyone else his age. Everyone is different ffs, it doesn't matter who the coach is or the city or the system. When AG tears it up you will be singing his praises, so be patient plz

• Upvote 1

MT claimed that Galchenyuk asked to be returned back to wing after he had begun to struggle. Unless Thrrien is lying, we can stop blaming either DD or Therrien for the fact that Galy is currently playing wing. This seems a particularly bizarre assertion given that MT did in fact move Galy to C for an extended stretch earlier this season.

And I don't hear anyone really criticizing Galchenyuk. It's more about expressing concern that maybe he won't become the major NHL star that many people hoped he would become based on his draft position and the fact that he was generally regarded as the best forward in his draft year other than Yakupov. I don't think anyone is denying that he will become a top-6 FW and probably a top-line one. The question, as I see it, is whether he'll be a "run of the mill" top-liner or whether he'll be more than that, an all-star calibre player. I don't especially care if it's a C or W myself, but I sure would like to see that type of player.

I've long felt Galy has a habit of defaulting to the individual play rather than seeing the whole ice and using his teammates to the fullest degree possible. Until the latter happens, he will remain a guy who sometimes makes stunning dekes (that seldom lead to anything) and sometimes gets a great shot off, but doesn't really project to be a star. But by no means is Galy a "problem" and it's far too soon to say he's a "disappointment." In fact, he has already been too successful to be called a disappointment in any normal sense (50 points as a 21 year old? Not too shabby for anyone EXCEPT a player for whom people have unusually high hopes).

An analogy would be Carey Price. The original hopes for Price were that he would become a franchise-defining, dominant goalie. After a long and winding road, he has finally become this. Now, what if, instead, Price had simply gone on to become a Niemi, i.e., a respectable NHL starter? One response would be to say, "well, great, he became a legitimate #1 goalie, that's not a disappointment." But it would be a disappointment relative to earlier projections. The concern with Galy runs along those lines.

• Upvote 1

Galchenyuk's offense #s better and more shots this year.

Just would compare again Pacioretty had 3goals at same age as Galchenuk will end up with 20+. And Max will end up close to 40 for 2nd straight year, so add a few lbs and more confidence onto Galchenyuk as Pacioretty did when he hit weight room/training hard and whose to say what Galchenyuk's upside will be in a year or tw

On a weaker or a more offensive team, no doubt Galchenyuk might of had more icetime the first couple years, who knows? But cant make assumptions he would likely be a 30 goal player under another coach just because this/that guy is.

Or start saying he is a disappointment, when he will end up with 20g+ as a 20-21 yr old, on a low scoring team.

Western Wake-Up Call. If there is to be a Stanley Cup parade in Montreal, the road must pass through south-western

USA. first. Granted, there are a couple of new guys in the lineup......that should really be helping things get better.

A better showing tonight in Arizona is a must. The LA game could have been a blow-out. but Dustin keept the Habs in the game.

Time to really get in gear for the playoffs and work the new players into the lineup. Don`t forget, we got knocked out last year

1-0.....it wasn`t Tokarski`s fault at all.

I dont hear anyone really criticizing chucky either. I dont hear anyone saying he is 60 pounds over weight either.

So chucky struggled at center (after he score his only hat trick) that is. He struggled for a few games ....so what. He has struggled at wing at times. DD has "struggled at center" Since when is "struggling" for a few games reason for changing a mans natural position?

I will repeat Chucky stated on record "i am comfortable at both positions, its not my choice i will play wherever they tell me to"

I am not criticizing chucky. Two things I am just giving my opinion on.

1. Would like to see him at center and struggle through it like every single other center in the NHL did before him.

2. Have the expectations dropped considerably on him being the dynamite number one center the habs have lacked for years. (as long as he stays on the second line playing wing, no way of knowing guess.

wait till next year on Chucky..........hey didnt i hear that all last summer?

• Upvote 1

There is no necessary contradiction between AG's feeling better suited for winger for the time being AND being "comfortable in both positions" and stating he will play where they ask him to play. The statements don't have to be read as mutually exclusive. I'd also be very surprised if this team with the great room didn't have pretty good and comfortable communication between coach and playes. I'll bet there isn't a player in the room who doesn't know pretty much where he stands, what's expected and what he's being encouraged to do. Our team nails defensive responsibilities down first as Sekac was stating. I think CCuke's comment about vision on the ice has a bearing here. With a really young guy who's doing well adjusting to the physical pace and skill of the best players in the world, it's a little much perhaps to expect instant comfort in a position with that much more responsibility when I think its fair to say, he could have a better all-ice perspective.

I think DD has that better than he does at the moment, much as I'd like to see the instinctive talents AG brings lighting it up.

Lastly, was MT misquoted as to AG's comfort at centre right now? If not, there's really not much to talk about here. We all see him as a top level player. Three years ago he wasn't legally allowed to drink in Montreal.

Now he's playing for the Habs.

There is no necessary contradiction between AG's feeling better suited for winger for the time being AND being "comfortable in both positions" and stating he will play where they ask him to play. The statements don't have to be read as mutually exclusive. I'd also be very surprised if this team with the great room didn't have pretty good and comfortable communication between coach and playes. I'll bet there isn't a player in the room who doesn't know pretty much where he stands, what's expected and what he's being encouraged to do. Our team nails defensive responsibilities down first as Sekac was stating. I think CCuke's comment about vision on the ice has a bearing here. With a really young guy who's doing well adjusting to the physical pace and skill of the best players in the world, it's a little much perhaps to expect instant comfort in a position with that much more responsibility when I think its fair to say, he could have a better all-ice perspective.

I think DD has that better than he does at the moment, much as I'd like to see the instinctive talents AG brings lighting it up.

Lastly, was MT misquoted as to AG's comfort at centre right now? If not, there's really not much to talk about here. We all see him as a top level player. Three years ago he wasn't legally allowed to drink in Montreal.

Now he's playing for the Habs.

yes , ...........just that i cannot find an interview, line, comment, blog or tweet where chucky actually said that..............even when he was questioned about saying it.....he denied it. I believe that not only is he comfortable at center......he wants to play there. Never known a centerman who did not want to play center. jmo

I bet that nobody feels the blame more than Eller. You can just tell by looking at his face that he feels the weight that most are putting on him. His penalty at the end of regulation was unfortunate and unintentional. But the thing that made me happy and shows how close this team is, was when Therrien put Eller right back out there in the shootout for a chance to redeem himself. He made a great move but as true Lars luck would have it, rang the iron. So as much as most Hab fans have their pitchforks in hand ready to burn him at the stake, Therrien showed excellent leadership by giving a man a chance to right his wrong, rather than kick him when he is already down. I am quite certain that Eller will get through this rough patch and perform for us when we need him to.

Well it didn't take long for Mr. Eller to redeem himself. I'm happy for him and I'm sure his teammates are as well.

Well it didn't take long for Mr. Eller to redeem himself. I'm happy for him and I'm sure his teammates are as well.

That new line played very good last night. Maybe we will actually see them play together again some time soon.

That new line played very good last night. Maybe we will actually see them play together again some time soon.

Depends on how the blender is set. :)

Some fickle fans may complain about 1 road trip (sorry they only just picked up 20th road win of year); but what is important is 42 of 66 and 2nd of 30 teams (1pt behind Ducks with game in hand) :nuts:

Some fickle fans may complain about 1 road trip (sorry they only just picked up 20th road win of year); but what is important is 42 of 66 and 2nd of 30 teams (1pt behind Ducks with game in hand) :nuts:

Had they won three outta four on the road trip you would be posting that with glee.

They lose three outta four and its a "fickle fan" that mentions it. (shhhh)

Politician

But what have they done for us lately? I want the lines to stay the same every game, no matter if we are in 1st in the conference. Results? pffft, I want the same lines even though I have no knowledge of how to coach in the NHL. MT better whip these boys into shape, getting 3 out of 8 points on the hardest road trip is highly unacceptable! I demand perfection and am fully within my right to call the coach le genius because he isn't as smart as I am!

• Upvote 1

But what have they done for us lately? I want the lines to stay the same every game, no matter if we are in 1st in the conference. Results? pffft, I want the same lines even though I have no knowledge of how to coach in the NHL. MT better whip these boys into shape, getting 3 out of 8 points on the hardest road trip is highly unacceptable! I demand perfection and am fully within my right to call the coach le genius because he isn't as smart as I am!

Wayne Gretzky "you are only as good as your last shift" :thumbs_up:

byw, Some of us are new on here, and we forget that you only like analyzing the games we win. No talking about losses or play off improvements. Ellar is the only player that gets bashed. Michelle Therrien is the greatest coach of all time and is more valubale than Carey Price. Do i have it straight now ? :hyper:

Had they won three outta four on the road trip you would be posting that with glee.

They lose three outta four and its a "fickle fan" that mentions it. (shhhh)

Politician

You guys are still responding to this frigging idiot?

#boardkiller

1. Top right of Habsworld Forums is your name. Click it.

2. Click "Manage Ignore Prefs"

3. Add username to list.

4. Click to ignore their posts.

5. Click save changes.

Stop the digs, the complaints, all of that stuff. Just put them on ignore. You'll get reminders that they posted in the thread and unfortunately still see when they are quoted but then it's just a matter of your own self-control.