Home Opener: Oct. 15, Rangers vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

That's kinda the opposite of what I said.

"Beaulieu has more upside than Tinordi, sure."

Defensively, Tinordi is more trustworthy, but offensively, Beaulieu has far more potential. However, when all you've got is offensive potential, but aren't getting points, you're not really contributing.

Tinordi showed nothing in preseason to suggest he is defensively trustworthy, or that he was close to Beaulieu in this regard.

Beaulieus ability to move the puck and contribute to our strong possession numbers is a huge advantage defensively

Watched both Tiny and Nate from the front rows in Hamilton many, many nights. Nate is a better D in every aspect of the position. Higher hockey IQ. More confident (i believe leads to most of his mistakes). But that will iron out as he learns from the likes of Markov and PK. Like all young D.

That is not a knock on Tiny, as i like him too. But in a different role. Having said that i think Pateryn would get the call ahead of him if an injury were to occur.

Tinordi showed nothing in preseason to suggest he is defensively trustworthy, or that he was close to Beaulieu in this regard.

Beaulieus ability to move the puck and contribute to our strong possession numbers is a huge advantage defensively

I don't know where some fans' ongoing love-in for Tinordi comes from. It seems to be wholly based in a fantasy about what he might become rather than what he actually is.

And yeah, the ability to facilitate the transition game is a massively valuable defensive contribution - often overlooked by those who cling to the idea of 'defence' as just winning battles down low.

Well, for my part, it was purely based on the needs of the Habs to overcome the best team in our division when he was drafted and progressing in our system : The Boston Bruins.

Now, they are not that dominant anymore and the East's best teams and gamestyle have switched over to speed and talent (NYR-Tampa).

I thought that Tinordi would have to become a top 4 with us to bring back a SC Final appearance, but not anymore.

Now, with that being said, I still believe that having a guy of his size, ready to defend teammates and handle the intimidation part of a game against tough opponents, would be an awesome asset to our team in addition to what more skilled/possession friendly players like Beaulieu and Petry bring to the game.

He just needs to become a reliable 6th dman. That would please me a lot more than seeing him hammer Gallagher in the board in two years in another jersey.

• Upvote 1

I don't know where some fans' ongoing love-in for Tinordi comes from. It seems to be wholly based in a fantasy about what he might become rather than what he actually is.

Heh. This is how I have viewed Beaulieu.

Tinordi already gives you what you want and expect from him...responsible play in his own end, respectable but unspectacular skating and passing, amazing size and thundering physicality.

Beaulieu does not yet give you what you want and expect from him -- NUMBERS ON THE SCOREBOARD. He also doesn't provide any of that aforementioned responsible play or thundering physicality. He can skate and pass better than Tinordi, certainly. I believe Beaulieu will eventually start to put up numbers, but Tinordi already can do what he is there for. Tinordi = Imagine a mobile version of Hal Gill.

Heh. This is how I have viewed Beaulieu.

Tinordi already gives you what you want and expect from him...responsible play in his own end, respectable but unspectacular skating and passing, amazing size and thundering physicality.

Beaulieu does not yet give you what you want and expect from him -- NUMBERS ON THE SCOREBOARD. He also doesn't provide any of that aforementioned responsible play or thundering physicality. He can skate and pass better than Tinordi, certainly. I believe Beaulieu will eventually start to put up numbers, but Tinordi already can do what he is there for. Tinordi = Imagine a mobile version of Hal Gill.

If Tinordi actually were the player you describe, he'd be in the lineup, instead of being a guy who is only on the team because Zoot Suit refuses to lose an asset on waivers.

If Tinordi actually were the player you describe, he'd be in the lineup, instead of being a guy who is only on the team because Zoot Suit refuses to lose an asset on waivers.

Yeah, the only thing I agree with was he has "amazing size" and "thundering physicality", since thunder is just noise.

I actually think Tinordi is an impressive skater. When there's nobody pressuring him he can take some huge strides and make huge room up the ice to move the puck up. It's that ability I thought he would develop into being a #4/5/6 guy but instead he panics any time someone comes near him when he has the puck. "Responsible play" is not a word anyone should describe him with.

Beaulieu is turning 23 this year and has everything about his game figured out except the scoring portion. And he's still on the third pairing for even strength, meaning his expectations to score should be low. He has a great first pass and doesn't get hemmed in the zone often. I'll be fine with Mattias Ekholm numbers: 7 goals, 18 points. Eventually I'll expect Ryan Ellis numbers of 27 points in 82 games once he moves into the regular top four. Beaulieu's 9 points in 64 games is fine for a 21/22 year old rookie defenceman. I don't know why the fuss about his low numbers.