Home Opener: Oct. 15, Rangers vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

I'm still not convinced Beaulieu's ready. He's been their second-worst d-man in five games so far, looks utterly lost out there. (Emelin is a bigger issue). Every time they get hemmed in their own zone for any extended period of time, it seems Beaulieu is on the ice. I'd rather see Tinordi in.

I have NHL Gamecentre. I've watched every game so far this season.

I think, part of too many people's problems, is they base their opinions on how they feel players play. They watch the game, and they assume that because they like how a guy looks when he touches the puck, that he's doing well. This is why useless turds like Oleg Petrov had so many fans, even though he contributed very little to the success of the team. In the end, the numbers tell the only tale that matters.

I hate Emelin, but I'm not afraid to say he's a had a solid start to the year.

Tinordi has the same offensive upside as Beaulieu? Your lost my friend

Beaulieu lost?

You lost me there. His positioning on the puck has been good and he gets pucks put of the zone. The offensive ability is there, it just hasn't brought returns yet.

Eller and Beaulieu have been excellent contributors to our recent success. The only guy I think hasn't contributed is Gilbert, who should be pushed aside for Pateryn.

Tinordi has the same offensive upside as Beaulieu, haha. Your lost my friend

That's kinda the opposite of what I said.

"Beaulieu has more upside than Tinordi, sure."

Defensively, Tinordi is more trustworthy, but offensively, Beaulieu has far more potential. However, when all you've got is offensive potential, but aren't getting points, you're not really contributing.

• Upvote 1

Beaulieu has more upside than Tinordi, sure. However, in their own end, I'd trust Tinordi more. Also, Tinordi's going to lay more punishment on the opposition, something Beaulieu isn't built to do. Since right now, they'd both get about the same offensive totals (which is, basically, nothing), i'm more inclined to go for the stay-at-home, big punishing guy over the fast, potentially offensive guy who's not giving us offense.

At this point, I agree with playing Pateryn over Gilbert. I do think gilbert has some trade value, I'm hoping they're playing him to boost that.

lost indeed... beaulieu is not a small player, he's fast can make the first pass (tinordi has yet to show us even this at an NHL level thus far) nathan is on the 3rd pair and is actually quite physical, not afraid to drop the gloves and get's barely 30 seconds at the end of each PP time to hone his offensive skills. having tinordi over him is nonsense at this stage in their careers. tinordi in emelins spot on the 3rd pair left side with beaulieu promoted with petry seems bearable...

Guest Stogey24

That's kinda the opposite of what I said.

"Beaulieu has more upside than Tinordi, sure."

Defensively, Tinordi is more trustworthy, but offensively, Beaulieu has far more potential. However, when all you've got is offensive potential, but aren't getting points, you're not really contributing.

Beaulieu needs plays to fulfil his offensive potential.

Tinordi was awful in his preseason. As much as I like the guy I honestly thought there was a chance he might get waived because of his poor play in his own end( His bread and butter).

lost indeed... beaulieu is not a small player, he's fast can make the first pass (tinordi has yet to show us even this at an NHL level thus far) nathan is on the 3rd pair and is actually quite physical, not afraid to drop the gloves and get's barely 30 seconds at the end of each PP time to hone his offensive skills. having tinordi over him is nonsense at this stage in their careers. tinordi in emelins spot on the 3rd pair left side with beaulieu promoted with petry seems bearable...

Hey, I'd be happy if they tried this out. I see Beaulieu's potential, too. I just cannot tolerate "potential" that goes 2+ years without panning out. It stops being potential at that point and turns into "underperforming." So see if Beaulieu contributes with Petry.

As for replacing Emelin with Tinordi, the only reason we haven't already done that is Emelin has an NTC and is making 4 million a year. Tinordi can do Emelin's job better for under a million....but we still have to pay Emelin against the cap, even if you bench him. At a certain point you have to play a guy just to save face.

Beaulieu needs plays to fulfil his offensive potential.

Yeah. But how long do you give them? He's off his ELC now. He's had 3 seasons to break in, 1 full season of play. This should be his year. This should be where he starts to show he's an elite NHL defender.

I know, for Habs fans, it's early. We've given Eller 5 full seasons to do the same, and people are still saying he hasn't been given a chance and we should let him live up to his potential. But players do not become successes because they are gifted opportunities to live up to their potential. Players become successes because they use their potential, earn their spot by performing, THEN they get promoted.

(Meanwhile, Desharnais consistently performs great for us every single year and we want to run him out of town. I don't get it.)

Guest Stogey24

The Tinordi type player is a somewhat diminishing role in the Nhl. 10 years ago he'd be a roster player on this team at this point. It's all about puck moving D now

This is why useless turds like Oleg Petrov had so many fans, even though he contributed very little to the success of the team. In the end, the numbers tell the only tale that matters.

Petrov? There's a blast from the past. Growing up he was one of my favourite players for some reason or another. He had a couple of 40+ point years with the Habs, one of which came in a playoff season.

I sure hope Semin is just "not up to speed' yet, seems like is as bad as expected, bring on Byron, Hudon or any other option who can actually skate and keep up with Eller-Galchenyuk.

Should be another 'fun' game vs Wings coming up.

Semin was sat down in the third period, just four shifts for 2:27 total. Smith-Pelly replaced him and he played 6:07 in the final frame.

Petrov? There's a blast from the past. Growing up he was one of my favourite players for some reason or another. He had a couple of 40+ point years with the Habs, one of which came in a playoff season.

Yeah, but when Petrov was getting 40 points for a couple of seasons, with most teams you needed 70+ points to earn a spot on the second line. Different era.

Trivia: At 44 years old, Petrov is still playing professional hockey in Europe.

I know, for Habs fans, it's early. We've given Eller 5 full seasons to do the same, and people are still saying he hasn't been given a chance and we should let him live up to his potential. But players do not become successes because they are gifted opportunities to live up to their potential. Players become successes because they use their potential, earn their spot by performing, THEN they get promoted.

I'm sorry, but if you are saying that the first argument is weak then the second argument is just as weak.

Many players certainly are gifted chances. I won't even get into the details of that but the NHL isn't as robotic as that argument makes it out to be.

Sure, that argument usually sticks but Sekac was on the first line in Anaheim the other day. I wouldn't say he's earned that opportunity because of exemplary work ethic and execution throughout his career by any means. Coaches coach different, players get injured, and chances do come once in awhile to players who you wouldn't usually see in a specific role. Some seize that opportunity and some get relegated back to where they belong.

As for Eller, I was fine with him on the third line and was never dying for him to get an opportunity but it looks like he was "gifted" that opportunity this season based on his previous numbers. Let's see where he goes with it.

I bet Eller puts up 20 goals this year

I hope so. Being on a line with Gally should be more than enough to boost his production by 5 goals from the previous year where he centered the third line.

He's currently "on pace for" 32 goals. (Don't hold your breath.)

Nate has not even played a full season yet. We are five games into this one. His partner is Gilbert (who Florida did not want) He is going to be a top four on the habs in the future. MB giving 21 million a year to the top 3 D. Believe me, they want and need him to come along slowly. Other wise they wont be able to afford by his fourth season. I like the edge he has. Habs have one of the softest teams i have even seen them ice, need a couple of tough guys with that mean streak character. Its so refreshing to see a young drafted dman come up through the ranks. I was sick of the endless list of cast offs that have come from other NHL clubs to finish off their careers on the blue line in Montreal. Filler after filler. No more . Thanks

He's best on the second or third because 45-55 points isn't enough for the top line, and he's going to perform no matter where you put him, you might as well spread out your scoring. However, it's not true that he only outperforms Eller because Eller never gets the good assignments. DD outperforms Eller because he's better than Eller. Eller doesn't look any better playing with Gally and Semin than he did centering 3. DD looks awesome centering 3.

Better smetter. Different players that contribute in different ways. DD is a better play maker no doubt. But he has to be, its all he brings to the table.That's his entire game. Eller can kill penalties. Play the wing or center. Give and take a hits. Even DD 's biggest fan MT would never put DD on the pk for one second. Just like he wont put Eller on the pp. Eller plays a big body game on the wall. DD nifty passes off the wall, when he's not falling down. Different roles. Both capable of 15- 20 goals. Who is "better" ? splitting hairs on totally different style of hockey players.

But have said it too many times to count. On a serious cup contender, DD is not a top six forward. Now he's on our third line, where he belongs. Ellers turn to have a crack a top six. DD has had what three or four seasons there? Larrys gets his shot now. Looks like he may actually get a prolonged opportunity at that spot, now that someone tossed MTs' blender out. 5 - 0 :thumbs_up:

we definitley have a really good hockey as quoted by carey price!

we've been underestimated and we underestimate ourselves!

i watched carey's on ice interview yesterday and get the notion that our habs have arrived!

this group is really strong and can't wait to see which one of greg pateryn or tinordi can force their way into the line up

Yeah. But how long do you give them? He's off his ELC now. He's had 3 seasons to break in, 1 full season of play. This should be his year. This should be where he starts to show he's an elite NHL defender.

(Meanwhile, Desharnais consistently performs great for us every single year and we want to run him out of town. I don't get it.)

play offs

we definitley have a really good hockey as quoted by carey price!

we've been underestimated and we underestimate ourselves!

i watched carey's on ice interview yesterday and get the notion that our habs have arrived!

this group is really strong and can't wait to see which one of greg pateryn or tinordi can force their way into the line up

:thumbs_up:

Its so refreshing to see a young drafted dman come up through the ranks. I was sick of the endless list of cast offs that have come from other NHL clubs to finish off their careers on the blue line in Montreal. Filler after filler. No more . Thanks

Most of Montreal's blueline are players who came up through the ranks as drafted and developed by the team. Markov, Subban, Emelin, Tinordi, and Beaulieu are all Habs' drafted/developed (Emelin did spend time in Russia but not another NHL team) while Pateryn, though drafted by Toronto (but traded to Montreal within a couple of weeks after the draft), has had his pro development solely with Montreal.

yES

Most of Montreal's blueline are players who came up through the ranks as drafted and developed by the team. Markov, Subban, Emelin, Tinordi, and Beaulieu are all Habs' drafted/developed (Emelin did spend time in Russia but not another NHL team) while Pateryn, though drafted by Toronto (but traded to Montreal within a couple of weeks after the draft), has had his pro development solely with Montreal.

Yes i realize that. What i meant by "refreshing" with Nate is recently. Should have stated that. Subban made the team 5 years ago. Its "refreshing" to see Nate get the job that has been given to the likes of Gilbert,Weaver,Allen,Gonchar,Murray,Boulion, Kaberale etc .

Tinordi I am a fan of. If/when they feel he is worthy of top six I will say same about him as Nate.

Markov for sure, but he was drafted when Gretz still lead the rangers in scoring. I'm was referring to this generation of Hab D "up and comers" that could be ADDED to Subban, Markov, and as you say Emelin.

Nate has not even played a full season yet. We are five games into this one. His partner is Gilbert (who Florida did not want) He is going to be a top four on the habs in the future. MB giving 21 million a year to the top 3 D. Believe me, they want and need him to come along slowly. Other wise they wont be able to afford by his fourth season. I like the edge he has. Habs have one of the softest teams i have even seen them ice, need a couple of tough guys with that mean streak character. Its so refreshing to see a young drafted dman come up through the ranks. I was sick of the endless list of cast offs that have come from other NHL clubs to finish off their careers on the blue line in Montreal. Filler after filler. No more . Thanks

I don't mean to diminish the impact of your comment or disrespect your opinion causing embarrassment but I agree with you on Beaulieu. He's been driving me nuts but I'm glad he's out there in the mix having to work it. I think he'll be really good. This isn't the result of careful analysis, but more of an intuition.

You're amazing.