The Plan: One year Tank and Rebuild for 2016-17

Commandant

Weekend over and sitting with 11th pick.

Here are a few 11th ranked kids from various sources;

Julien Gauthier (RW); 40gms 36g 46pts (only 10assists?)

Clayton Keller (5'10" 165lb LW, USA); 60gms 31g 112pts (wouldn't matter if had 200pts, he would be hated by many as another Smurf pick no doubt)

Jake Bean (Hitmen LH d-man); 54gms 21g 50pts

Mike McLeod (6'2" Centre OHL); 50gms 19g 56pts

German Rubtsov (6'2" Centre MHL); 24gms 10g 24pts

I've read good things about Keller. Small players (by NHL standards) rarely get much respect in the draft rankings unless they have an elite skill level. I wonder if I'll see him in Windsor next year or if he will go the NCAA route. I'm guessing NCAA, but I know the Spits have been making a strong push for him.

Edited by John B

1st or 7th round, majority of HabFans don't care where drafted...he is simply too small and just another Smurf to be made fun of and not the "big'centre/RWer most are always clamoring for.

Vast majority of HabFans love McCarron because of his size, no matter that he will never be anything more than bottom six grinder.

Guest Stogey24

1st or 7th round, majority of HabFans don't care where drafted...he is simply too small and just another Smurf to be made fun of and not the "big'centre/RWer most are always clamoring for.

Vast majority of HabFans love McCarron because of his size, no matter that he will never be anything more than bottom six grinder.

You have no idea that he's only going to be a bottom 6 grinder.

Guest Stogey24

I know, even that is suspect... but gotta hope he at least can be that, don't ya?

And he is BIG so there's that.

He's a first rounder that has gotten better every year. Is that not what you want. Oh, I'm sorry he's not 5'9 180.

We need a seasoned pro in that role - a master, not a learner, to paraphrase Darth Vader. (Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind seeing Vader coach this bunch. 'I find your lack of effective shots disturbing...' Proceeds to strangle the guy)

This is an early candidate for 'best thing I've read on HW this year'...I have no doubts that it will be in contention 10 months down the road :)

• Upvote 1

Don't need to apologize for MM being big, slow and clumsy, Molson-Bergevin I am pretty sure are the ones to blame for that pick.

And we just saw what happens to BIG picks, that can skate well "for his size", shipped out for an AHL d-man because he cant match NHL speed (skating and making decisions with puck).

Guest Stogey24

Don't need to apologize for MM being big, slow and clumsy, Molson-Bergevin I am pretty sure are the ones to blame for that pick.

And we just saw what happens to BIG picks, that can skate well "for his size", shipped out for an AHL d-man because he cant match NHL speed (skating and making decisions with puck).

Completely different player and position

Molson-Bergevin I am pretty sure are the ones to blame for that pick.

It had every sign of a Timmins pick. American with potential to play in CHL, freak size (O'Byrne, Missaein, Tinordi) and strong character.

If the Habs ever forced a pick on Timmins he'd leave to one of the 29 other teams in the NHL who would swipe him immediately. Timmins is in Montreal because he has total control of our draft system. Don't like a pick? Blame Timmins and his staff. Like a pick? Credit Timmins and his staff. You can't have it one way and blame the picks you don't like on the GM.

OK, I would almost assume was Molson pressuring Bergevin moreso for McCarron pick; but, likely 5 or 6 of the Habs 7 picks taken after him may turn out to be better NHLers (Crisp was like McCarron and BIG & Fucale who knows).

If our window is open and we're going for it again next year AND we have a high draft pick with a stud still on the board, wouldn't we be looking to trade it for help NOW? Isn't this our most valuable asset? Maybe we could pair it with a bad contract and get a good NHLer back.

I think sitting with 9th pick now.

Maybe a francophone will be it; Pierre-Luc Dubois, who was stand out at top prospects game.

Big C/LW 53gms 32g 75pts 85pims.

Or maybe big Russian d-man Mikhail Sergachev?

Sure, I really do hope MM can become a half-decent player, but don't like his chances.

i dont get this one bit???? hes already better then half decent!!

kid is top 4 in scoring on this team, top 3 in goals, top 10 in rookie scoring. and thats after going on a huge cold spell after being named to oh ya "the all star game as a rookie"btw

he has played the vast majority of games as our #1 C in his rookie season on a very young and immature team, he plays the toughest minutes against the best lines, take the tough draws, plays special teams but he doesnt have a shot at making it???

and we are shi*ting on him... just dont get the logic.

hes played and scored multiple times already in the The NHL albeit pre season but again he's bottom 6 at best, brian boyle at best.... i dont get or understand all the hate...

Guest Stogey24

kid is top 4 in scoring on this team, top 3 in goals, top 10 in rookie scoring. and thats after going on a huge cold spell after being named to oh ya "the all star game as a rookie"btw

he has played the vast majority of games as our #1 C in his rookie season on a very young and immature team, he plays the toughest minutes against the best lines, take the tough draws, plays special teams but he doesnt have a shot at making it???

hes played and scored multiple times already in the The NHL albeit pre season but again he's bottom 6 at best, brian boyle at best.... i dont get or understand all the hate...

You go girl. Jk, I hear ya man. He's prospect who has progressed each year. Not sure what else people want from him.

oh and that reminds me Commandant.... pay your bets...

i believe original bet was he wouldn't even get 30 in a season. I believe he has 32 pts in less the 50!

also on a side note he broke into the top C spot from wing in less then 20 games as well. i think it took less then 10 to get him moved to Center from RW. he's been at C all season long minus a few games recently were he played RW during a showcase for MB in attendance, just to see if he could lend a hand to the habs at RW.....

oh and that reminds me Commandant.... pay your bets...

i believe original bet was he wouldn't even get 30 in a season. I believe he has 32 pts in less the 50!

also on a side note he broke into the top C spot from wing in less then 20 games as well. i think it took less then 10 to get him moved to Center from RW. he's been at C all season long minus a few games recently were he played RW during a showcase for MB in attendance, just to see if he could lend a hand to the habs at RW.....

sure, dm me where.

1 goal in his last 21 games.

good thing he had the hot start.

i did mention he's been on a cold spell... but he still has 25 games to pad those points...

you have to admit that he has impressed you even a little bit? thus far considering were you pegged him before the season started....

He put up some points... i haven't changed my projection that he's a third/fourth line forward similar to Brian Boyle.

Watching the games he's still held back by below average skating, and hands that aren't quite quick enough to be a big time NHL scorer.

A 25 game hot streak followed by a similar cold streak doesn't change that. Much like lars eller, he can score in bunches but if you don't show consistency you aren't a top 6 guy.

Again look who i've compared him too.... Brian Boyle had 31 goals and 61 points as an AHL rookie.... He's not gonna come close to those numbers.

- Boyle was 23 when he had that season. McCarron is 20 years old.

- The 31/31 was a complete anomaly to his future numbers since he went back to the AHL after a brief time with the Kings and could only muster 10 goals, 21 points in 41 games. He was then traded to the Rangers for a third round pick being considered a first round disappointment. It was in his second season with the Rangers he scored 21 goals and proved himself to be a valuable third liner. By then he was 27.

In other words, you need a way better example if you want to keep up the shade ;)