Annual Habs Top Shelf Prospect Report

Commandant

Lehkonen vs Reway

"Reway will play in N.A. this coming season, which will be his third on this side of the pond. Lehkonen will not,"

1) Do you have a crystal ball and know that Lehknonen won't make the NHL this year?

2) The last time Reway was here he publically feuded with his coach, and then quit on the team and returned to europe before fulfilling all his junior obligations and eligibility. So yeah, he's shown real commitment to play here.

"Finland is a nicer country to live in by most standards than Canada. "

False - http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/16/travel/undp-most-liveable-country/

This university you work at, do they do fact checking there?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shea got to spend an extra year in Junior due to birthdate.

FALSE

number of years eligible to play junior hockey... Shea Weber = 4; Brett Lernout =4; everyone else =4

A late birthday does NOT take away a year of eligibility. It only changes the fact that you have 3 years of pre-draft junior, and 1 year of post draft junior... vs 2 and 2 for someone with an earlier birthday.

The reason Lernout only played three full seasons... cause as a 16 year old he couldn't make the team; and needed another year of MMHL before hitting the WHL ranks. He even got in two games.

But the birthdate does not factor in to how many years he could have played junior.

So basically the only reason Weber played four years of junior and Lernout played three was that weber was good enough, and Lernout wasn't.

You really should give up.... you get embarrassed with every post you make.

------------------------------

Made it to the NHL in his first year as a pro. Those are enough similarities to me to rank him ahead of Scherbak on my list.

Yes, he played one game for a team that used every possible defenceman in their minor league system due to a sudden rash of injuries late in the year. ONE ING GAME FOR A TEAM THAT USED 15 DEFENCEMEN LAST YEAR.

This is your reasoning? This is your logic? My god man..... You really don't understand how this sport works do you.

The only reason Lernout made the NHL faster than Scherbak, is that the Habs were absolutely decimated with injuries on defence. Not because he earned the game, but because there was literally no other options on who to use.

I mixed up Rod Langway and Sheldon Souray in a post weeks ago, now that's the default reply. You guys are as dumb as dirt and less interesting.

Now you've gone too far, insulting everyone here at the site.

If you think the posters are as dumb as dirt, then get the off the site and don't come back.

You bring absolutely nothing of value to the discussions... so don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out

You guys are as dumb as dirt and less interesting.

Following up a wonderful first impression with a lovely compliment!

I gotta hand it to you though, you are interesting! Or at least these conversations are. I've been learning some lovely facts about Weber

Now you've gone too far, insulting everyone here at the site.

You've been insulting him since he got here...

But good to know that we don't go too far until we insult EVERYONE here.

If you think a member here brings absolutely nothing of value to the discussion, please put them on your ignore list instead of trying to browbeat them off the site.

• Upvote 3

He's training in Montreal right now, or was anyways with Plek, Emelin and a couple others. Probably old news though.

Hadnt heard, thanks and assume 90% of players hit the gym hard every summer (and then are the Kessel group). And I know Scherbak did put on a lot of weight over past couple off-seasons.

Well who else is in the system? Juulsen is basically the only D prospect this team had before Sergachev.

I still like Lernout (but felt same about ​Dietz), but has an obvious lower 'ceiling' than Sergachev and likely a bit lower odds of making it than Juulsen.

^ I agree with that ^ My list would have McCarron behind Sergachev as the #2 prospect. He`s going to play majority of the upcoming season in Mtl. I would put Brett Lernout ahead of Scherbak as well. Brett had a better AHL season, and made it to the NHL before Nikky. Lernout is very similar to Shea Weber at the same age, and will benefit immensely from watching Weber with the team. My fourth pick would be Martin Reway. He seems stronger and tougher than Lehkonen with similar skill level. I think that Lehkonen will end up back in Europe after a year or two in N.A., but Reway is in for the long haul. I would have Scherbak and Noah Juulsen in a deadlock for fifth spot. With Will Bitten right there with them.

Reway stronger/tougher, hmmm?

Lehkonen didn't bother to come over for the summer camp, and if he doesn't make the Habs is going back to Sweden this fall from what I've heard. But obviously he is more committed than Martin Reway who came over here without a word of English or French, spent two years in some God awful outpost in northern Quebec, then returned for the summer camps and will play in the AHL if he doesn't make the NHL.

The comparison between Lernout and Weber was in terms of size and style AT THE SAME AGE. I'm sure no one looked at 20 year old Shea Weber and said, "Yeah, he's a perennial All Star, Norris candidate, and staple of Team Canada defense.". Up to this point in the two players careers there isn't a huge difference in terms of what they've accomplished. Which speaks well for Brett Lernout as a prospect.

But explaining the obvious to you is an ongoing process, Herr Commandant, and it's not that much fun so I think I'll give it up.

"It is a good thing to follow the First Law of Holes: if you are in one, stop digging."

Denis Healey

I mixed up Rod Langway and Sheldon Souray in a post weeks ago, now that's the default reply. You guys are as dumb as dirt and less interesting.

Sorry, you lost me? What do this mean?

You've been insulting him since he got here...

But good to know that we don't go too far until we insult EVERYONE here.

If you think a member here brings absolutely nothing of value to the discussion, please put them on your ignore list instead of trying to browbeat them off the site.

Sorry i dont suffer with racists easily... but thats me.

Have i gone after anyone else in the same way? No

Why? Cause no one else started posting here by saying that Subban only made Team Canada as a "token" and for the "visibility" and "public relations.

Was that a mistake? okay maybe, lets give him the benefit of the doubt.

When confronted he doubled down, and spouted more racist shit.

Have I gone after him? Sorry, not sorry about it.

Sorry i dont suffer with racists easily... but thats me.

Might as well stay as far off-thread as possible.

It seems the guy only had one or two 'poorly-worded' posts that were race related at all and that seemed awhile ago. (not excusing, just saying)

And being the highly educated person you are, you do know 'don't suffer.." defines as: " being intolerant or impatient toward people one regards as foolish or unintelligent."

So it isn't like you are taking the high road on this, not that you have to; but is definitely an option.

(Of course bit hypocritical and pot calling kettle black, as I do similar with 29, not that think unintelligent at all and no-disrepect, just the negative or "grumpy" posts I cant wrap my head around; however, I do agree that same can likely be said for me at other end of spectrum :1gohabs: .)

Following up a wonderful first impression with a lovely compliment!

I gotta hand it to you though, you are interesting! Or at least these conversations are. I've been learning some lovely facts about Weber

He's been good for the dog days. And Ben has been too distracted to destroy my irrational trade proposals more feverishly. muhaha

Might as well stay as far off-thread as possible.

It seems the guy only had one or two 'poorly-worded' posts that were race related at all and that seemed awhile ago. (not excusing, just saying)

And being the highly educated person you are, you do know 'don't suffer.." defines as: " being intolerant or impatient toward people one regards as foolish or unintelligent."

So it isn't like you are taking the high road on this, not that you have to; but is definitely an option.

(Of course bit hypocritical and pot calling kettle black, as I do similar with 29, not that think unintelligent at all and no-disrepect, just the negative or "grumpy" posts I cant wrap my head around; however, I do agree that same can likely be said for me at other end of spectrum :1gohabs: .)

He had more than one or two...

He's also responding to my article with non-sense that Lehkonen has a bad attitude, and that Lernout is similar to shea weber, and that my rankings are wrong. Am I not allowed to point out the flaws of his nonsensical ramblings? I didn't even call him a name until he said that the posters on the site were dumber than dirt. I merely attacked the madness of his suggestions.

I didn't say anything about Lehkonen having a "bad attitude", I just think he's the type of player/person who would be content playing in Europe. Nothing illogical about that, he could be a star there and probably not more than a marginal NHLer. So he could earn similar money and be more comfortable in his surroundings. I brought Weber into the convo about Lernout because I think he could be a great benefit to the kid's career since they play similar styles and come from similar backgrounds. Obviously the organization feels good about him since they dumped Ellis and Deitz who were his main competition on the depth chart behind Pateryn. But Lernout's career to this point is not that dissimilar to Weber or Sheldon Souray. They are all similar athletes. Shelly took awhile to develop his offensive game as well, but all three are big, tough, Western Canadian kids who can fire the puck and throw the mitts if necessary. I think the Habs specifically asked Lernout to limit his fighting because they know he can do it and don't want him to just be a goon.

Everything is an opinion, your assessment, my disagreements. If you don't want feedback or disagreement don't post publicly. Or put your thoughts up somewhere that doesn't allow comment. Otherwise deal with alternative viewpoints and don't be so defensive.

"Lernout's career to this point is not that dissimilar to Weber"

Why do you keep repeating this? Do you not read the reponses to your previous posts.

Here is the post you never addressed.....

1) At this point in their careers Weber was on team canada's world junior team twice. He was on the top pair twice. He won a gold medal and was a top pair defenceman on a team that was the greatest World Junior team ever assembled. He shut down two Russians by the names of Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin in the gold medal game. A team who was so dominant that they destroyed the tournament and the fact is that Jeff Glass rarely faced more than 15-18 shots per game.

Lernout wasn't even invited to try out for team canada.

2) Weber played 28 games and 4 playoff games on a playoff team. He took on a role of top 4 defenceman.

Lernout played 1 game for a team that used 15 defenceman as they were killed by injuries.

3) Awards and honours

Weber

- AHL Playoffs Most Goals by Defenseman 05/06
- CHL Memorial Cup All-Star Team 03/04
- CHL Memorial Cup Champion 03/04
- CHL Second All-Star Team 04/05

- U20 WJC Gold Medal 04/05
- WHL (West) First All-Star Team 04/05
- WHL (West) Second All-Star Team 03/04
- WHL Champion 02/03, 04/05
- WHL Playoffs MVP 04/05

Lernout .... Nothing since joining the WHL

4) Stats

Weber
27 points in 46 AHL games as a rookie.... 11 points in 14 playoff games
10 points in 28 NHL games.... 2 points in 4 NHL playoff games

vs
Lernout

12 points in 69 AHL games
0 Points in 1 NHL game

Yup, their accomplishments are very similar. I mean Weber had 12 points in 32 NHL games, and Lernout had 12 points in 69 AHL games. So very similar.

=============

Is everything an opinion? Sure.

But here is the thing, opinions can be wrong when there are no facts to support them. Your opinion that Weber and Lernout had similar accomplishments in their junior careers and first year of pro hockey is wrong. Its flat out wrong. There is no two ways around the mountain of accomplishments that Weber had, and Lernout just has none.

As for the Lehknonen stuff i take exception at you trying to read a players mind about whether he will be more comfortable in Sweden than the NHL with no proof of same.

I also state that even if he's a 2nd/3rd liner in the NHL he'd make way more than he would in Europe. You show little understanding of the economics of the SHL (where he's likely making better than AHL money, but below NHL minimum) and the NHL mid-tier player (which would be anywhere from 2 million to 4 or 5 million)....

So yeah.... I think your opinions are based upon some "facts you rely on" that are dead wrong. Just like the Langway-Brisebois comparison was. And you can say you meant Brisebois, but the fact is Souray and Brisebois were both right handed defencemen... they never played together as a pairing, so even there you were still dead wrong.

So quit while your ahead, cause i'm tired of showing why these facts you keep stating are false.

Yes, nicer country to live in = liveable...

And Canada is above. As per that link.

But great alter the goalposts and change liveability to happiness... still doesn't have any relevance to the discussion since he'd be living in Sweden, not finland.

Lastly the money isn't equal.

NHL midtier money is about 5-10x what he would make in the SHL.

Everything is an opinion

Except facts, which are you, know, facts, and not opinion. Every time you attempt facts you get called out and suddenly try to make it about opinion. Which even then, there's a big difference between an informed opinion and a feeling, and you have peddled in nothing but feelings.