Deadline Day GDT

dlbalr

Well it would be nice if you non believers would stop stuffing how bad this 1st place team is down the rest of our throats, it's bullshit until it's otherwise..

I still believe Bergevin knows more than you crowing malcontents.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

1st place team

That would be 5th in the Metro. 

So? What place did the Kings finish last cup?

What place did Pit and Wash finish the year we eliminated both?

Means SFA bud...

Guest Stogey24
13 minutes ago, KoRP said:

Well it would be nice if you non believers would stop stuffing how bad this 1st place team is down the rest of our throats, it's bullshit until it's otherwise..

Watch a couple games. That first place means absolutely nothing.

The Atlantic is not a dominant division. 

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Two years later the team looks older, slower, and overall, worse. Now again, maybe this is just the calm before the storm. Maybe this has become a veteran team husbanding its resources for a long, hard playoff drive, or a team about to make a Julien-powered leap forward. But based on the season to this point, how can anyone be confident in that? How can anyone be convinced that the promise of 2015 has been realized?

I haven't done an analysis on DOB of the roster, but i don't believe the team has aged dramatically. Outside of Pleky, our entire group of forwards are in their prime. Ott is likely a spare part and Mitchell still brings his game, but everyone is 30 or younger.  On the back end, both key additions are relatively young and will have quite a few to many years ahead of them - if they do indeed stick around. Really, it's Pleky, Markov who are the old boots (or perform like it), and Mitchell, Weber are still going strong. 

I think a lot of playoff-potential analysis has been, rightly so, focused on the players. But let's not forget who is now behind the bench. Julien has 107 playoff games coached in the 7 years he got Boston to the playings, with a very respectable 57-40 record, .588 winning pct. Him and Muller will take this team to another level, that i am sure of it. 

6 minutes ago, KoRP said:

So? What place did the Kings finish last cup?

What place did Pit and Wash finish the year we eliminated both?

Means SFA bud...

One exception.

This team still has a problem of not enough offence. 

The scoring has dried up.  Everyone can see it, including Bergevin. 

Oh come on now. The 2015 team, everyone said was all about Carey Price. So much so that in the 15-16 season, when Price got hurt, Plekanec woefully stated the team wasn't all about Price after they won a handful of games without him. I recall very few people being really high on the personnel on the team. For YEARS people have said Gainey didn't get with the times. So many years after the lockout, it was back to a clutch and grab team and not about speed, and Gainey was slow to react. The Habs stay "small and speedy", and the complaint was the same under MT/Bergevin. CJ comes in, Bergevin acquires some larger players (maybe he would've anyway with MT...who knows?), and now the knock is that they aren't the right larger players. The team is too small, the 4th line is too worthless, Bergy loves to stockpile crappy defenders, blah, blah, blah.

What has happened in 2016-17 is the same as 2015-16, except for the Price injury. The team came out, rolled 4 lines because the secondary scoring is exemplary for the first couple of months. Secondary scoring dried up, bodies move in and out of the lineup, Gallagher gets hurt again (not that he was producing), Markov gets hurt, Galchenyuk gets hurt. People expect the injured players to step back in and start producing immediately at pre-injury levels. Plekanec's decline is immense. DD, who had at least some value, becomes completely worthless. Excuses? No. Reality? Yes. Chucky, Gally, and Markov are all top 6 and top 4 players. NO team just has multiple spare top 6 players and top 4 defenders sitting around waiting to get plugged in. That doesn't happen in a cap league. I also don't think the MT was a good enough coach to work around the injuries. People have said he wasn't good at in game adjustments, and was especially exposed on the road. By all account, Julien is a better tactitian. Yes, Bergy's fault there for not addressing the situation sooner, but at least this year, he resolved it. And I believe he did it in time before the entire season went in the crapper.

I'm not trying to excuse the weaknesses the current team has, which falls on Bergevin. I still believe in the top line. Everyone says things happen in duos. Patches-Radulov, plug in a center. Galchenyuk-Gallagher, plug in a LW. Plekanec-Shaw seems to be working well. There isn't a team in the league where their top 6 is infallible.

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

1st place team

That would be 5th in the Metro. 

And 8th in the NHL overall, so when was that bad or ominous?

11 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Watch a couple games? What does that mean?

22 minutes ago, KoRP said:

I have no doubt in my mind that Bergevin can do the job better than I would.

But I also bet that he can't see the forest from the trees and his own biases have got the best of him.

He used to be an alpha, ready to fight anyone for the team. Now he sounds passionless and has since Therrien was fired. I'm sure when he's done he'll talk about how the job isn't fun for him anymore. He surrounded it with his friends like Lapointe and Mellanby and is now expected to do real work. You can tell it's wearing him thin.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

For weeks we've talked about this team needing to either get some more scoring, or to get a partner for Weber.  They did neither of those things, and you guys are confident in the moves made?

Confident about what? He did the best without breaking up a lineup that has led its division for months and mortgaging the future, seems a big Yes.

Sweet Jesus...you were the one who wouldn't part with dear old Sergachev for a top six centre? Now you are complaining that he didn't do something like that...impossible to please some I guess.:wall:

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I have no doubt in my mind that Bergevin can do the job better than I would.

But I also bet that he can't see the forest from the trees and his own biases have got the best of him.

He used to be an alpha, ready to fight anyone for the team. Now he sounds passionless and has since Therrien was fired. I'm sure when he's done he'll talk about how the job isn't fun for him anymore. He surrounded it with his friends like Lapointe and Mellanby and is now expected to do real work. You can tell it's wearing him thin.

He does not know what to do, he knows he needs offence but can't find any' He is right when he says that most moves turn out to be sideways moves. The little offence he had is drying up. He now has 4 guys who are scoring. Mainly 3. That will give a GM grey hair. When he got here he was full of enthusiasm, hope. He laughed and joked. Now there is just excuses. Firing Le Genius was probably terribly difficult. The same as it was when Big Bob fired Carbo. I would not be suprised if this season ends badly to see Marc drop the keys on the desk and head out.

I think we're clearly on edge as a fan base because of a terrible February. 

Lets all take a breath and see what march brings? Julien, believe it or not, has a 4-2 record. Yes we need to score, but we also needed to reset. Regain confidence. 6 points in 6 games likely helped that. 

Hell, even adding some muscle probably did. 

Carey Price seems to be rounding back into form, and if this team can start getting some secondary scoring, we'll be a damn competitive team.

• Upvote 1

Everyone would've loved a top 6 forward and top 2 defender. Where were they? Vrbata? 15 other playoff teams passed on him, too. Vanek? Nobody Habs related wanted him. Shattenkirk? Didn't fit the need correctly, plays right side. Why acquire someone using future assets, and then play him out of position, more than likely resulting in his failure on the team. How would have acquiring those players now (the rental crop wasn't superb) have affected the expansion draft protection list?

Ultimately, we don't know what teams asked of the Canadiens in trades, who Bergy called, and about whom. Should he explicitly say what teams he called and what players they discussed? Heck, GMs in fantasy leagues won't publicly say such things. Apparently, Bergevin was active at the deadline, but not active the "right way".

I'm also speaking ONLY of what are typical deadline deals. Nobody expected top name players with term to be moved. And the available UFAs from non contenders was a pretty uninspiring list. Given what actually happened at the deadline, I'm confident that Bergevin did a pretty good job without parting with any significant assets. At worst, the team is out some lower tier picks and Andrighetto. I don't believe the trades made will have a significant impact of making/not making the playoffs. I do think the players acquired can be more useful in their appropriate roles than what the Habs gave up. And I have confidence that Julien will use those players correctly.

31 minutes ago, DON said:

Confident about what? He did the best without breaking up a lineup that has led its division for months and mortgaging the future, seems a big Yes.

Sweet Jesus...you were the one who wouldn't part with dear old Sergachev for a top six centre? Now you are complaining that he didn't do something like that...impossible to please some I guess.:wall:

I'm saying he should have got Vrbata.  Did Vrbata cost Sergachev???

Vrbata has 47 points this year.   Thats playing with no talent in Phoenix.  Its one more point than Radulov, and we love Radulov. 

If you think that doesn't help our sputtering offence, I don't know what to tell you. 

Guest Stogey24
3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Vrbata has 47 points this year.   Thats playing with no talent in Phoenix.  Its one more point than Radulov, and we love Radulov. 

If you think that doesn't help our sputtering offence, I don't know what to tell you. 

Amen 

Guest Stogey24
2 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

The Panthers were in first place in 2010-2011 the year before they were a lottery team. 

Exactly. Shit changes 

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Per Dreger on TSN1050, Filppula rejected two trades.... a deal to Montreal, as well as the deal to Toronto.

That's unfortunate. Filppula would have been a great fit. This team is sorely lacking someone who can carry the puck. 

47 minutes ago, Commandant said:

What if the ask was similar to Hanzal? Would you have done a 1st, 2nd, and potential conditional 2nd for Vrbata? Nobody knows what the ACTUAL price was that Arizona was looking for. It's all speculation. I'm sure teams other than Montreal inquired about Vrbata for additional offensive support. The fact that all 16 playoff bound teams passed on him seems to indicate the price was too high, or that Arizona simply said no after Doan expressed his displeasure with the Hanzal trade. Maybe Vrbata said "Please don't send me to that dysfunctional crap hole in Montreal." Unless Chayka publicly says what his price for Vrbata was, nobody knows.

Its true no one knows for sure. 

On the TSN Deadline show, i forget which insider it was, but he said that Chayka was asking for a second round pick, and told teams that he wouldn't sell Vrbata any lower than that.  You can take that for what its worth, but that was the reported price, and I know that isn't 100% confirmation. 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

It wasnt meant literally

No, it was meant to imply I am dumber than you about hockey, a backhanded insult...thanks brah, BTW I watch every feckin game, like I have for almost 50 years.

Let me ask you, did another GM do a better job addressing his team's needs? Did he mortgage the future?  Who knows I don't get to watch GM meetings.

What GM made the moves that will guarantee the 2017 cup? Guess we should still play it out instead of handing it to who? Washington maybe?

Let me also ask you this, did you think this team was better with Therrien, Ghetto, DD, Pateyn, Redmond, Nesterov, Hanley, Johnston, Terry, Carr and DLR? They have all been upgraded, and that's not the sign of a weak minded, or underwhelming GM. I maintain he did what he could, and it was significant.

Maybe you should watch some games, and think for yourself boyo :).