Deadline Day GDT

dlbalr

I gotta say I'm a little surprised with all the hate directed towards MB in this thread! Let's face it, there wasn't much out there in terms of bonafide 1st or 2nd line goal scorers. And if there was (cough, cough Duchene and Ladescog) Colorado was asking way too much for them.  MB did what he thought was the best he could, and that is add some much needed size and grit to this team. The Habs have been known to shy away from the rough stuff in the past few seasons. The additional grit and size will help us in the playoffs for sure.

Am I disappointed we couldn't get a legit goal scorer? Yes, but I think MB has a better chance of landing one in the off season than at the trade deadline. Too many GM's have made huge mistakes at the trade deadline because they thought they HAD to make a big move. More often than not, they ended up overpaying for someone who would go on to play 20-25 games for them.

• Upvote 2

I like his moves, 

I would actually give him a B+, 

He didn't get rid of the 2nd rounders, as you mentioned the team is bigger, tougher and harder to play against. They will also start winning some board battles, crash the net and be more physical in the d zone

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Habsfan said:

I gotta say I'm a little surprised with all the hate directed towards MB in this thread! Let's face it, there wasn't much out there in terms of bonafide 1st or 2nd line goal scorers out there. And if there was (cough, cough Duchene and Ladescog) Colorado was asking way too much for them.  MB did what he thought was the best he could, and that is add some much needed size and grit to this team. The Habs have been known to shy away from the rough stuff in the past few seasons. The additional grit and size will help us in the playoffs for sure.

Am I disappointed we could get a legit goal scorer? Yes, but I think MB has a better chance of landing one in the off season than at the trade deadline. Too many GM's have made huge mistakes at the trade deadline because they thought they HAD to make a big move. Most often than not, they ended up overpaying for someone who would go on to play 20-25 games for them.

There was nothing. There's a good chance Colorado wanted Sergachev, N8, Hudon, and a 1st for Duchene. At the draft, this price will come down at least one piece. This happened with Evander Kane a couple of years ago, and Ryan O'Reilly,

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

There was nothing. There's a good chance Colorado wanted Sergachev, N8, Hudon, and a 1st for Duchene. At the draft, this price will come down at least one piece. This happened with Evander Kane a couple of years ago, and Ryan O'Reilly,

there's no doubt in my mind that Colorado was asking for Sergachev, our 1st round pick and two other pieces for Duchene. That's way too much! I'm happy MB didn't pull the trigger on that kind of deal!

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Okay be real.

What's your confidence in this team winning the Stanley Cup?

I'm not asking your confidence in a few rounds.

Do you think this club is a favourite, or even a Top 5 favourite, to win the Stanley Cup?

If not, why are you fine with this?

Vegas has Habs at 7th best odds, 12/1...put some money down!;)

1 hour ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

MB is counting on Galchenyuk to become a stud C.  Let's pray he is right.  I know, i know..he scored two goals in two nights and that's great...those two goals BTW had nothing to do with him playing center.  I might be the only voice here that is not sold on him as a C.  As a winger sure..but not a C. This obsession with #27 as our top C is hurting us because it gives MB an excuse (time and again) for not pulling the trigger on a bonafide heart and soul centerman.

At this point WHY try to make him a C?  Just put him on the wing and let him score goals ...I would rather see Max at center with Rad and Chuck on the wings  Now wouldn't that be a line?  why not. 

As i am sure all fans are, I am really excited for the next game... can't say i have felt that in a long while..its great.  Is this a CJ surge...maybe.    but they have proven they don't give up like they used to  

Fixed for you and now agree 100% on the #27 must play centre bit.

17 minutes ago, Chris said:

I like his moves, 

I would actually give him a B+, 

He didn't get rid of the 2nd rounders, as you mentioned the team is bigger, tougher and harder to play against. They will also start winning some board battles, crash the net and be more physical in the d zone

You are likely in minority at the moment, but without actually any bargaining facts or offers, seems pretty hard to criticize Bergevin, except with wild ass guesses. So like said before am glad got some depth and character players and kept 1st, and all five 2nd round picks (which seem a common add-in on trades and for moving up in draft) and the 3rd this year also, so draft junkies have several picks to debate about.

I'm sure i am, i also like watching the physical side of the game, winning board battles and crashing the net isn't exciting, but it helps you win. 

Watching smurfs the past 10 decade float around the perimeter drove me nuts, lol 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Chris said:

I'm sure i am, i also like watching the physical side of the game, winning board battles and crashing the net isn't exciting, but it helps you win. 

Watching smurfs the past 10 decade float around the perimeter drove me nuts, lol 

Agreed,  I think we are going to be a very hard team in a 7 game series.  

No team is going to want to play us with Radulov, Gallagher, Shaw, Ott, King, McCarron, Emelyn, Weber, Benn, and Davidson.  Each of those guys will wear you out (in different ways).  Dabble in a little bit of Lehtkonen and Biron's speed and a focused Carey Price and you better be prepared to go to war to win 4 out of 7.

Not to mention that CJ is soooooo much better at making adjustments than MT was.   We will be hard to play against

I see much more balance between speed and size and you literally can never have too many quality depth Defenceman in the playoffs.  If Emelin gets hurt tomorrow we will all be happy that we have a couple of extra bodies.

if one of the Puck moving Dmen get injured maybe Sergachev gets the call?!!

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Okay be real.

What's your confidence in this team winning the Stanley Cup?

I'm not asking your confidence in a few rounds.

Do you think this club is a favourite, or even a Top 5 favourite, to win the Stanley Cup?

If not, why are you fine with this?

54 minutes ago, DON said:

Vegas has Habs at 7th best odds, 12/1...put some money down!;)

When was the last time a president's trophy winner won the cup? Who picked Carolina to win in 06? The Kings in 12? All the low seeded teams that have made it to the finals? Even the Penguins last year at one point in the season were like 30-1 to win the cup but still won. 

So to answer your question, I am about as confident as the odds Don posted. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Winning battles and crashing the net is fine.

Dwight King does that.   Defensively Jordie Benn and Brandon Davidson win battles and protect the front of the net.  Andrew Shaw crashes the net, battles in corners.  No issue with acquiring this type of player.  None whatsoever.  I like all those pickups. 

Steve Ott is washed up as a player, he doesn't win battles.  He doesn't crash the net. He's a defensive liability who has 23 points in his last 160 games. 

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Steve Ott is washed up as a player, he doesn't win battles.  He doesn't crash the net. He's a defensive liability who has 23 points in his last 160 games. 

I don't care for the acquisition of Ott either. The best I can say is low cost, and gone at the end of the year. At least he got kind words from the Wings for his departure.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/03/01/detroit-red-wings-trade-steve-ott-montreal-canadiens/98567778/

• Upvote 1

Considering what other GM's did, I'm very happy about the depth Bergevin added, especially Benn, King and Davidson. Sergachev for anyone that was available, is just stupid, wouldn't trade Sergachev for Duschene straight up, Duschene wasn't going to guarantee a cup, but Sergachev is a good bet to be a great player for years.

Totally happy we didn't trade him, Julsen, Hudon or Scherbak frankly.

Anyone who thinks this team was going to win a series or 2 without any size is nuts, DD, Carr, Ghetto, all were useless.

The team was pushed down and around all too easy, and our top players had to be our physical players, and the smurfs couldn't score, and couldn't win a shift, which wore down our top 6 nightly.  We gained 9 goals, and 468 lbs to the lineup today.

This team may not be a favorite to win a cup, but with Price, Markov, Petry, Beaulieu, Weber, Patch, Chucky, Radulov, Gallagher, Shaw, Plekanec, and the depth we now have, this team is more built for playoffs than most of you naysayers think.

Playoffs is not a barn burning scoring fest, it's a monumental grind, and the Habs are stronger in all areas now, than they were in October when we were rolling, and certainly better than February when we weren't.

Add in the fact that Julien is coach now, and I think we can beat ANY team in a series... a little luck, and the Price his usual self, and we may win 4 series, and I'm full of hope, not negativity...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Winning battles and crashing the net is fine.

Dwight King does that.   Defensively Jordie Benn and Brandon Davidson win battles and protect the front of the net.  Andrew Shaw crashes the net, battles in corners.  No issue with acquiring this type of player.  None whatsoever.  I like all those pickups. 

Ott wins faceoffs and kills penalties, that is something MTL needs.

He's Manny Malhotra 2.0

Just now, JGC21 said:

Ott wins faceoffs and kills penalties, that is something MTL needs.  

He does not kill penalties well.  Just being on the ice 4v5 doesn't mean you do it well.

And he wins the faceoff, but still manages to give up a shit ton of scoring chances on the 45% of the faceoffs he loses, cause he is useless as a player.  So it doesn't help.  He still loses faceoffs 45% of the time and is not good enough in those occassions, nor after his team loses possession even on a faceoff win. 

Being under 40% in Scoring Chance Percentage, and xpected Goals is AWFUL... its george parros/douglas murray level.  Its not an NHL player. 

Manny Malholtra won a lot of faceoffs, and was still winnig a lot of faceoffs the day the Habs got rid of him. But he wasn't an NHL player cause that was the only thing he could do.  Faceoffs alone are not enough.  

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He does not kill penalties well.  Just being on the ice 4v5 doesn't mean you do it well.

And he wins the faceoff, but still manages to give up a shit ton of scoring chances on the 45% of the faceoffs he loses, cause he is useless as a player.  So it doesn't help.  He still loses faceoffs 45% of the time and is not good enough in those occassions, nor after his team loses possession even on a faceoff win. 

Being under 40% in Scoring Chance Percentage, and xpected Goals is AWFUL... its george parros/douglas murray level.  Its not an NHL player. 

Manny Malholtra won a lot of faceoffs, and was still winnig a lot of faceoffs the day the Habs got rid of him. But he wasn't an NHL player cause that was the only thing he could do.  Faceoffs alone are not enough.  

Well, Muller really likes him so that's good enough for me!

Coaches loved Maholtra earlier in his career too.  

Ott used to be a good player.  I have no doubt about that. 

I think after a couple weeks on the Habs roster, people will realize that he's not the player that they remember.  

Ott has regressed, even from where he was in St. Louis with Muller. 

With things starting to sink in a little, I think the Habs had one of the better trade deadlines this year. Hanzal, Shattenkirk and Vanek would have been nice but there wasn't too much exciting out there outside of that when it comes to people who actually got dealt. Bergevin remained one of the more active GMs and did what he could. My favorite move of the day was the acquisition of King. It's always nice to have that big body who can put the puck in the net out of the blue. I've watched him here in LA over the years and he's nothing special but he works hard an he'll stand out even more on the Habs than he did with LA.

Pacioretty       Danault          Radulov

King         Galchenyuk     Gallagher

Lehkonen       Plekanec         Shaw

Byron            Mitchell        McCarron

Martinsen          Ott                Flynn

Carr              Terry            Scherbak

Hudon         delaRose        Farnham

Emelin             Weber

Markov             Petry

Beaulieu            Benn

Davidson         Nesterov      

Redmond          Lernout

Nobody's mentioned the defense yet. One of their problems is a lack of a puck moving D on their the first pairing. They're either going to use Emelin and get smoker by the speed, or Markov and get smoked by fatigue. This isn't good. The three games they have vs Ottawa this month are going to be very telling. 

3 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Nobody's mentioned the defense yet. One of their problems is a lack of a puck moving D on their the first pairing. They're either going to use Emelin and get smoker by the speed, or Markov and get smoked by fatigue. This isn't good. The three games they have vs Ottawa this month are going to be very telling. 

I certainly tend to agree. Our best hope here is that Beaulieu pulls a John LeClair or Eric Desjardins and picks the playoffs as the moment in which to finally emerge as an impact player. Otherwise, I just don't see how we can avoid crumbling on LD over four playoff rounds.

Then again, I find I'm having a lot of trouble believing in this group as contenders, in general, which is not where I expected to be back in 2015, when we looked like a team with a strong young core that just needed more seasoning and a tweak or two. Our D seems too slow and our FW unit too erratic. I guess a combination of last year's collapse, dubious managerial moves, and the midseason meltdown have conspired to diminish my faith in the Bergevin rebuild. Hopefully this is just the pessimism that precedes the triumph, as was the doom and gloom in '93.

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I certainly tend to agree. Our best hope here is that Beaulieu pulls a John LeClair or Eric Desjardins and picks the playoffs as the moment in which to finally emerge as an impact player. Otherwise, I just don't see how we can avoid crumbling on LD over four playoff rounds.

Then again, I find I'm having a lot of trouble believing in this group as contenders, in general, which is not where I expected to be back in 2015, when we looked like a team with a strong young core that just needed more seasoning and a tweak or two. Our D seems too slow and our FW unit too erratic. I guess a combination of last year's collapse, dubious managerial moves, and the midseason meltdown have conspired to diminish my faith in the Bergevin rebuild. Hopefully this is just the pessimism that precedes the triumph, as was the doom and gloom in '93.

People have come to accept mediocrity

Ever single hockey panel has no idea what Beregvin's plan is. This team was built for speed, now what?

This guy inherited one of the better core in the NHL, yet he's done nothing to push them into true contention. 

I love everyone's optimism, but I don't buy into what Beregvin is doing. 

20 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

People have come to accept mediocrity

Ever single hockey panel has no idea what Beregvin's plan is. This team was built for speed, now what?

This guy inherited one of the better core in the NHL, yet he's done nothing to push them into true contention. 

I love everyone's optimism, but I don't buy into what Beregvin is doing. 

That's what bothers me. Go back to that 2015 team that lost to Tampa Bay. It looked very much like a team on the cusp of entering that inner circle of feared NHL clubs, true, top-rank contenders. And everyone agreed that that was the goal.

Two years later the team looks older, slower, and overall, worse. Now again, maybe this is just the calm before the storm. Maybe this has become a veteran team husbanding its resources for a long, hard playoff drive, or a team about to make a Julien-powered leap forward. But based on the season to this point, how can anyone be confident in that? How can anyone honestly say that the promise of 2015 has clearly been realized?

The optimistic posters on this site are generally taking the tack that the Habs can 'go toe to toe with anyone in a seven game series.' I more or less agree with that, but I question whether we can go toe to toe with four teams in four series consecutively. I would also observe that we would NOT be favourites in series against Pittsburgh, Washington, Columbus or, probably, the Rangers; nor against Chicago, Minnesota, or San Jose. (I would be nervous about Ottawa too, for match-up reasons). In other words, we're still second-tier contenders, seventh or eighth in the hierarchy, crossing our fingers that all the question marks get answered in just the right way at just the right time. Just another version of the 2010 team, basically.

That isn't what I'd hoped we were building towards. But that seems to be what we've got.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Ya, your right.

I've only missed a couple Habs games this year and I have a pretty good understanding of hockey. 

I just do not see this team going deep. They have shit the bed REALLY bad in a ton of games this year. They just don't have the pieces to do it.

The defense is so leaky, I just cannot see how they can hold true contenders to 2 goals a game, in a 7 game series. It's the only way they'll win, because they don't score. 

The end of the road for me with Beregvin, was the Subban trade. He traded a guy who can carry the play and doesn't need a specific style of player to be his partner, in order for him the thrive 

Way too many holes, for a team that's apparently "all in" after trading Subban