Jump to content

Sept. 17, Devils (SS) vs Habs, 7:30 PM


dlbalr
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is it possible for Kotkaniemi to play in the AHL this year.  He is 18 isn't he? or does he have to be 19 to play in Laval?

 

I think that he would really benefit from playing on North American Ice but he isn't ready for NHL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

 

He's played about 20 games at C last year and did well in garbage time for the Coyotes

 

That is essentially the only time he played C since the age of 17

 

Do you see any reason at all for thinking he'll be better as a C than Galchenyuk?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Davehab said:

Is it possible for Kotkaniemi to play in the AHL this year.  He is 18 isn't he? or does he have to be 19 to play in Laval?

 

I think that he would really benefit from playing on North American Ice but he isn't ready for NHL.

 

He could play in Laval

 

I send him to Finland, where he will be the number 1 centre on his team. His dad is the coach of his Finnish team, we don't have anything to worry about in terms of him getting jerked around for ice time. And there will be no temptations from the media and fans saying "call him up to montreal" everytime he has a good game. Let him develop, let him leave for a year, and not have that pressure from the fans and media in montreal. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Do you see any reason at all for thinking he'll be better as a C than Galchenyuk?

 

What am i thinking? No.

 

What do I see Bergevin and Julien thinking?  Grittier, more of a defensive game, wins more battles on the boards and helps down low in the defensive end 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

 

What am i thinking? No.

 

What do I see Bergevin and Julien thinking?  Grittier, more of a defensive game, wins more battles on the boards and helps down low in the defensive end 

I think that the gamble is to use Domi at center who should be as lukewarm at center as Drouin but more defensive-responsible. But the payoff would be on getting more production out of Drouin.

If in the pre-season it doesn't work, they go back to Drouin at center. Either way, they will be shielded as the second line IMHO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

What am i thinking? No.

 

What do I see Bergevin and Julien thinking?  Grittier, more of a defensive game, wins more battles on the boards and helps down low in the defensive end 

 

I’m not sure if he will be better but one thing Domi has over Galchenyuk is speed. And for a centre in today’s NHL that’s important, his dynamic skating along with Drouin seem to be what the team is looking for.

 

Hope it works out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

 

I’m not sure if he will be better but one thing Domi has over Galchenyuk is speed. And for a centre in today’s NHL that’s important, his dynamic skating along with Drouin seem to be what the team is looking for.

 

Hope it works out.

I don't remember Chucky being slow, but you may be right.

I think that one of the biggest differences is in how Domi understands what is expected of players in a market like Montreal: dedication, relentless work and playing to your full potential (not mailing it in)

I think some of the talented players took for granted playing for Montreal and just milked the situation to their advantage without doing all possible to win

 

This year, in to exhibition games, the team seems to have a hunger to win. I do not think Chucky showed that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dlbalr said:

 

It always boggles my mind when fighters feel the need to fight in the preseason.  Deslauriers is well-established as a fighter; he doesn't need to prove that part of his game to anyone so why engage with a minor league guy?

I think it's just how "fighters" do their thing.


Chris Neil fought Deslauriers in preseason in 2016,  Paul Laus did fight Neil in preseason as well in 2000. and on and on and on.

Baddock is not an idiot, he would not jump  Kotkaniemi or Victor Mete to make himself a name. 

He probably even asked Deslauriers if he would go at some point during/before the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2nd full game I’ve watched of koky... the WJC gold medal game and now this first exhibition game. I saw nothing wrong with his speed outside of his awkward/lanky stride which had zero effect on his ability to keep pace. He showed great vision and stick work. I thought he did really well... lots to be happy about thus far!

 

-Mete hasn’t missed a beat!

-juulson was good as well.

- Schlemko blows

-Despres is definitely on the outside looking in...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Deslauriers agreeing to fight in a preseason game is utter stupidity no matter how you look at it. The only way it would be merited would be for defending a teammate or himself.

 

The guy has a 2 year one way deal... why risk your preseason and spot on the 4th line for nothing... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't remember Chucky being slow, but you may be right.

I think that one of the biggest differences is in how Domi understands what is expected of players in a market like Montreal: dedication, relentless work and playing to your full potential (not mailing it in)

I think some of the talented players took for granted playing for Montreal and just milked the situation to their advantage without doing all possible to win

 

This year, in to exhibition games, the team seems to have a hunger to win. I do not think Chucky showed that.

 

Compared to Domi, Chuck is slow. It’s not just that either Galchenyuks overall skating game was never that good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Deslauriers agreeing to fight in a preseason game is utter stupidity no matter how you look at it. The only way it would be merited would be for defending a teammate or himself.

 

The guy has a 2 year one way deal... why risk your preseason and spot on the 4th line for nothing... 

 

Deslauriers is trying to make the roster. These guys aren't dumb. 

 

We've all looked at the number of wingers this team has, and its too many.... Deslauriers very well could be one of the players waived and sent to Laval if he doesn't impress at camp.  He is by no means a lock to be on the roster.

 

If we know that, he also knows that.  He has to impress to make this team. 

 

If Shaw was healthy, I wouldn't want Shaw fighting in the preseason, cause he will be on the roster, there is no reason for it. 

 

For Deslauriers, its unfortunate what happened but I can't blame the guy.  He knows what his spot on this roster is, and how it is not guaranteed. Despite 10 goals last year, he hasn't earned a spot on the fourth line yet.  Just check the opening night roster thread. 

 

All of De la Rose, Scherbak, McCarron need waivers to go to the AHL... so he doesn't even have that benefit. 

 

This is even assuming Kotkaniemi and Suzuki are cut, and Shaw is IR. 

 

Here is a possible forward group... its not set in stone, but i can see a scenario where these are the forwards, and Deslauriers is waived.

 

Drouin - Domi - Armia

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Byron - Plekanec - Lehkonen

Hudon - Peca - Scherbak

 

Extras: McCarron, De la Rose

IR: Shaw

 

That's 14 forwards + one IR spot... and that's a realistic roster, and doesn't include Deslauriers.  He needs to perform better than some of those players if he wants a spot. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DON said:

Why are they hanging onto McCarron? Waste of a contract isn't he? He looked same as ever in Red/White game, simply 1/2 second or step too late to be effective.

 

I didn't say they were. 

 

I said Deslauriers doesn't have a guaranteed spot.  He can't refuse fights to protect his spot on the fourth line, cause if he doesn't try in training camp, he'd find himself beat out for a job by a guy like McCarron. 

 

Deslauriers had nothing guaranteed, and thats why he can't just turn down fights to protect his job. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

I didn't say they were. 

 

I said Deslauriers doesn't have a guaranteed spot.  He can't refuse fights to protect his spot on the fourth line, cause if he doesn't try in training camp, he'd find himself beat out for a job by a guy like McCarron. 

 

Deslauriers had nothing guaranteed, and thats why he can't just turn down fights to protect his job. 

Dont care about Deslauriers, is another fringe NHLer and didnt mention him. I asked why McCarron is even still in a Habs jersey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DON said:

Dont care about Deslauriers, is another fringe NHLer and didnt mention him. I asked why McCarron is even still in a Habs jersey.

He's a first rounder that Beregvin is high on. 

 

I read an article last year that quoted Bergevin saying he still think Mccarron can be a cornerstone piece for the Habs 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...