Nothing To Do With Anything

Trizzak

please....

you're mr. private education

Which is why I do subbing at public schools also, I guess. Even if your comment meant anything, it has nothing do with what I was saying. It is not my opinion that remedial classes are far too common and largely ineffective, its reality. It is comparable to leaving students back in grade school - it might help in the short term, but in the long run there is too often little to no effect. Obviously that isn't true for all students, but it is true for far too many people. If schools were preparing students better for college, then there wouldn't be as big a need for remedial classes, which some studies show are used by 40% of incoming college freshmen. Fewer remedial classes mean lower costs to the school, leading to lower costs for the student population.

Plus, lets not forget the millions of dollars that are out there in the form of grants and scholarships, in addition to federal aid for low income students.

Which is why I do subbing at public schools also, I guess. Even if your comment meant anything, it has nothing do with what I was saying. It is not my opinion that remedial classes are far too common and largely ineffective, its reality. It is comparable to leaving students back in grade school - it might help in the short term, but in the long run there is too often little to no effect. Obviously that isn't true for all students, but it is true for far too many people. If schools were preparing students better for college, then there wouldn't be as big a need for remedial classes, which some studies show are used by 40% of incoming college freshmen. Fewer remedial classes mean lower costs to the school, leading to lower costs for the student population.

Plus, lets not forget the millions of dollars that are out there in the form of grants and scholarships, in addition to federal aid for low income students.

not everyone is meant for college, why do people have to go to college? You understand what will happen if everyone "went" to college? You would need a masters degree to get a job and then in some places a doctorate. You'd flood the system.

The idea that everyone must go to college is a joke.

If you really truly want to fix the schools abolish school's getting money from local property taxes. That way th inner city kids who happen to be minorities actually get a fair shake in the country. Instead you've got a system that keeps the poor down at the lower levels of society and the rich continue to soar.

but, no that will never happen in the u.s. because that would mean everyone starts at an equal playing field. Something that never will happen.

You're blaming the schools again. The problems of education in the United States has nothing to do with teachers and schools.

Edited by Pierre the Great

The idea that everyone must go to college is a joke.

I never said that. I simply said too many students who go to college are not prepared. If someone chooses to go to college, then they ought to have been properly prepared to do so.

You're blaming the schools again. The problems of education in the United States has nothing to do with teachers and schools.

I absolutely am not blaming teachers and schools, I am blaming the system. When I refer to schools, I don't just mean individual buildings.

I never said that. I simply said too many students who go to college are not prepared. If someone chooses to go to college, then they ought to have been properly prepared to do so.

I absolutely am not blaming teachers and schools, I am blaming the system. When I refer to schools, I don't just mean individual buildings.

"If schools were preparing students better for college, then there wouldn't be as big a need for remedial classes, which some studies show are used by 40% of incoming college freshmen."

preparing who? People need remedial classes because the schools are being forced keep kids getting through the system. Its the system that you've created here that's the fault.

Schools are not equal

the students are not equal

our cities are not equal

A kid from the worst secondary school in Nanaimo has the same shot at getting into UBC/UVic/SFU as a kid in the "well off" school.

a kid growing up in the ghetto of st. louis is barely going to graduate high school.

only reason I'm not in a UBC/Concordia/McGill is because I've got the weirdest high school record ever and its hard to explain why it took me 7 years to finish high school. Now, did I get a ton of breaks? of course. A big politics driven school in the northwest didn't even care about that whole 7 years thing. They saw my parents and my "background" and I was going to get accepted.

if I was black/latino and came from a poor background I would have gotten laughed at. But no I come from a family that has a masters in orchestra conducting/child musical prodigy that turned down Cambridge because family couldn't afford it, and a teacher with masters +30. Oh my life is easy street, I don't even have to try.

Edited by Pierre the Great

then when it becomes being a trouble maker again family history and background win out. When I'd purposely get in fights in school, get arrested by the local cops. I never got the full extent of the law everything was reduced. I'd get off because "i'm a super good kid, who just did something stupid." I knew it. I figured out if you were a good standing citizen and were a kid anything less then a felony you'd get off. Felonies you'd have to be rich, I'm not rich.

then when i came to school here, the prof's continue to give me "breaks" that should not happen. For example I got two grades on a mid term. If I "showed improvement" I'd get the higher grade. seriously wtf is with that. teacher selection going on and this conflict theorist doesn't want to see that.

Does anyone else have a cat?

My cat started doing that bloodcurdling howl at around 3 AM last night and was growling and hissing at something outside, had his face shoved out the window. I'm just curious if something was bothering him or if he's actually sick or something. After seeing all that crap (and pissing my pants when I heard that sound, I hate cats solely based on that sound), I'm really worried about him.

If it's a girl (even though you call it a he) it could be in heat. My kitty was doing that when she was.

If it's a girl (even though you call it a he) it could be in heat. My kitty was doing that when she was.

No, it's a guy. He's gonna be 4 this summer.

I talked to a bunch of family at Easter dinner last night who, for some reason, know a lot about cats and they all said there was probably a stray outside and he just got all territorial about it.

I swear to god, that is the worst sound in the world though.

Is it an inside joke or something?

You don't even know any inside jokes around here anyways. When your old enough to understand, we'll let you in on some. ;)

its the crazy penguins attack you bth. They'll get you when you sleep.

god my life is boring/sad. Only event I look forward to each week is now going to church. eyeye

:unsure:

"If schools were preparing students better for college, then there wouldn't be as big a need for remedial classes, which some studies show are used by 40% of incoming college freshmen."

When I refer to schools, I don't just mean individual buildings.

If you would actually read what I write then you would know that your quote from me doesn't mean what you assume it means. As always, you just look at something and assume its wrong because you're not the one who said it. Schools = school systems, do I have to freaking spell it out for you? No wonder you think you're such a masterful debater, you misinterpret everything the other person says because you hear what you want to hear and ignore everything else. Of course you think you never lose, since you're not even debating what the other person is actually saying.

this girl wants me to go to these parties. Don't know if I want to go, I need to work on papers etc.

Why do kids always have parties or big events at the end of terms? That's when I'm actually trying to be a student. Come on people have your shin digs in February.

So get your work done and then go out. It's the end of the term, it's time to celebrate!

she's begging me to go along, lol. I'm the ultimate procastinator though, I never do anything until the last minute. I've got an english paper on monday, an anthropology presentation on thursday. Then on top of that two papers due in two weeks plus journals.

so I'll pass these events up, again.

If you would actually read what I write then you would know that your quote from me doesn't mean what you assume it means. As always, you just look at something and assume its wrong because you're not the one who said it. Schools = school systems, do I have to freaking spell it out for you? No wonder you think you're such a masterful debater, you misinterpret everything the other person says because you hear what you want to hear and ignore everything else. Of course you think you never lose, since you're not even debating what the other person is actually saying.

So get your work done and then go out. It's the end of the term, it's time to celebrate!

of course I pick out what I want to hear, ignore the stuff that's true, find the things that are false or are perceived. Then attack. Watch any political debate, they do this. Its rather obvious. I'm not going to lie to you on that lol.

I figured out how to do that (which I know annoys and angers people) during the iraq war debates in school. Just taking a page from Bush when he'd have his dominions shout traitor and crap at you when you were trying to speak. Debating is only "professional" at universities between debate teams. If you get two polarizing experts on something, they're just going to go for personal attacks and what not.

Got accepted to Cin/Com, the most sought after program in the school, at Dawson. :clap:

What's it for? To understand where babies come from?

What's it for? To understand where babies come from?

Cinema, Video and Communications. In the Creative Arts branch.

Cinema, Video and Communications. In the Creative Arts branch.

Kool.

she's begging me to go along, lol. I'm the ultimate procastinator though, I never do anything until the last minute. I've got an english paper on monday, an anthropology presentation on thursday. Then on top of that two papers due in two weeks plus journals.

so I'll pass these events up, again.

That makes no sense at all. If you're a procrastinator, then obviously you go to the party. Which is better - procrastining by partying with a girl, or procrastinating by posting on HW?

of course I pick out what I want to hear, ignore the stuff that's true, find the things that are false or are perceived. Then attack. Watch any political debate, they do this. Its rather obvious. I'm not going to lie to you on that lol.

Nonono, I didn't say you pick out what you want to hear, I said you misinterpret it and hear it the way you want to hear it. Picking out flaws in an argument is legitimate. What you're doing is taking what someone says and skewing it because you are assuming they are saying something you disagree with. This is exactly what you did hear. I wrote "schools" and you assumed I meant I was blaming teachers and actual schools. The first time I could understand confusion, so I cleared it up. But then you continued to argue as if I hadn't cleared up that point. You ignored that I actually agreed with you to some extent and continued to argue against something that wasn't even there to begin with.