October 4 - Montreal vs Ottawa - 7:00 p.m.

GHT120

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But the question is whether a young goalie can develop properly behind this abomination of a defence. Maybe the guy we want back there is in fact the guy we’ve given up on - let him suffer the shell shock, and leave your young G in an environment where they actually have a chance to succeed.

Very true ... but bringing someone like Ingram would: (a) provide an upgrade over Montembeault to help support the development of the youngsters, especially on defence, (b) keep Primeau in Laval so he doesn't have to risk the very issue you raise, and (c) take a shot at ***MAYBE*** adding a legit prospect to the goalie pipeline.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It also works if they've given up on any hope of Montembeault being an NHL goalie.  Frankly, that's a conclusion that they should have already arrived at. 

Given the new two-year contract, I suspect they have not given up. Maybe.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But the question is whether a young goalie can develop properly behind this abomination of a defence. Maybe the guy we want back there is in fact the guy we’ve given up on - let him suffer the shell shock, and leave your young G in an environment where they actually have a chance to succeed.

Fair but if you're just claiming a guy on waivers, there's no long-term commitment.  With Montembeault, you know he's bad.  You know you want to keep Primeau in the minors.  So what's the risk?  If he's shell-shocked, he's Montembeault 2.0.  If this hypothetical goalie claim was to be better, then there's some upside to the idea.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree, Montembeault is the right goalie for this

I know what you mean but there is no scenario in my mind where Montembeault is the right goalie for any situation involving an NHL team.  He is that bad of a goaltender.

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Given the new two-year contract, I suspect they have not given up. Maybe.

Possibly but I'm hoping the second year was a poison pill to scare Arizona off and they'll be content with Montembeault in the #3 role next year as a highly-paid minor leaguer.

Regarding the goalie situation:

in preseason, all three of these goalies have let in soft goals, I believe those are the goals against that break a teams will to compete and can be most damaging to young player’s psyche.

The difference is Allen has only allowed 1-2 softies total in his appearances.

Monty more like 1 softie per appearance (often 2), while Phole Primeau has let in 2 per appearance.   That’s the difference b/w a 2-2 game going into the third versus being down and out every night before the third period.  I believe being competitive and having meaningful third periods is the realistic goal for season while also being optimal for development and draft order.

IMO: Monty will be backup, given a chance to prove himself as this appears to

Be the plan and unless an extremely appealing waiver option or easy trade presents itself, the team will follow their plan.

Monty will continue to play sub par levels and will be replaced by a more proven backup. I think this will happen b/c Allen will wear out/get injured by game 40 (having had to play 30 of 40)and being peppered with zone pressure and quality shots.  they’ll be forced to make a move rather than have Monty become starter.  They’ll find another vet (like Al Montoya for past example) to ride out season.

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I know what you mean but there is no scenario in my mind where Montembeault is the right goalie for any situation involving an NHL team.  He is that bad of a goaltender.

Possibly but I'm hoping the second year was a poison pill to scare Arizona off and they'll be content with Montembeault in the #3 role next year as a highly-paid minor leaguer.

Yes, I agree and hope management does as well.

I also believe Primeau is never going to become a solid starter so goaltending pipeline is a high priority.  As in a combo of developing current prospects, but also scouting at all levels for any opportunity.

Bu time Allen’s contract is up (assuming he isn’t traded) the team could be pushing for playoffs if they have a legit starter.