Habs acquire Nicolas Beaudin for Cam Hillis

JoeLassister

• JoeLassister changed the title to Habs acquire Nicolas Beaudin for Cam Hillis

He could go straight to Laval ... or join the Habs in Buffalo ... since he was with Rockford (AHL) he must have cleared waivers so, I believe, he has 30 days in the NHL before he has to be placed on waivers to go to Laval ... so he could practice for a bit and either get sent down when Edmundson returns or stay up for a bit longer for an up-close look-see before either winning a roster spot (seems VERY unlikley) or joining the Rocket before his waiver exemption expires.

Hillis did not seem to have any future with the Habs, maybe not even The Rocket (given he was with Trois Rivieres, and 14 of his 15 games played last year were in TR as well) ... so good trade.

A first-round pick for a third-round one (both in 2018) is conceptually good. But Beaudin is younger than Kovacevic, and presumable has less upside than Guhle or Harris, so I don't really see how it would make sense to fit him into the Habs' lineup. Defensive depth in Laval?

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

A first-round pick for a third-round one (both in 2018) is conceptually good. But Beaudin is younger than Kovacevic, and presumable has less upside than Guhle or Harris, so I don't really see how it would make sense to fit him into the Habs' lineup. Defensive depth in Laval?

Think it is just asset management ... a player with no future for a player with likely low-future prospects, but at least some ... and ***IF*** he ends up in Trois Rivieres, he played his 4 seasons of junior hockey less than an hour away in Drummondville.

24 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Probably, with Fairbrother injured

A comment from the Blackhawks HF board:

I assume Hillis stinks since there would be no reason to give up anything of value for Beaudin.

But maybe Hugo still see potential in Beaudin -- at least at the AHL level, if not in the NHL.

36 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

A comment from the Blackhawks HF board:

But maybe Hugo still see potential in Beaudin -- at least at the AHL level, if not in the NHL.

I don't know that Beaudin will be anything, and I kind of doubt he will at this point, but he's still a better gamble than Hillis IMO.

I'm glad I went with Hillis commentary early in the Rocket Weekly post from last week:

Lost in the original cuts from Laval’s roster early in their camp was Cam Hillis.  With that cut, that might very well have been the final nail in the coffin with regards to his status as a prospect with the Habs.  Considering the Rocket are carrying four extra forwards right now, it’s not as if he’s on the verge of a recall either.  With some of the others that went down with him, he might not be first among the forwards in Trois-Rivieres either. 

If I was assigning trade odds at this point, I’d have Hillis pretty much at the top of the list as a result.  There’s no value in the Habs just burying him with the Lions for the season and non-tendering him in June.  That’s where this is clearly heading.  One thing former GM Marc Bergevin was good at early in his tenure was identifying the prospects that needed a change of scenery, flipping them either for a prospect in a similar situation or an older player that cleared waivers and can be stashed in the minors.  It’s time for one of those moves to happen with Hillis.  It’s pretty clear he’s not in the plans for this season let alone the future so if they can find a way to give him a chance elsewhere, it’d be good of them to do.  At this point, there’s nothing to lose.

I wouldn't be shocked if there is another move or two like that at some point this season.  Every GM wants to bring in 'their' guys so the prospects they're not as high on become options for change of scenery trades.  In this one, the Habs get the better player though, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1