2023 Draft, Pick 69: Jacob Fowler

dlbalr

I'm a bit surprised that they went with a smaller goalie but Fowler has certainly done well at the USHL level (about as well as a goalie can realistically do).  He's going to Boston College next year and with their starter graduating, he could start right away like Dobes did at Ohio State a couple of years ago.

Seems like he was outstanding in the USHL playoffs, voted series MVP

#GoodPick

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I'm a bit surprised that they went with a smaller goalie but Fowler has certainly done well at the USHL level (about as well as a goalie can realistically do).  He's going to Boston College next year and with their starter graduating, he could start right away like Dobes did at Ohio State a couple of years ago.

Crazy where we've gotten with goalie size when 6'2" is small.

5 minutes ago, huzer said:

Crazy where we've gotten with goalie size when 6'2" is small.

I see more 6'1 listings than 6'2 for him.  But yeah, it does seem odd that this is now 'small' for the position.

from this article, quoting a radio interview with Martin Lapointe:

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/2023-06-30/rondelle-libre/le-ch-et-sa-culture-d-entreprise.php?sharing=true

"Jacob Fowler was the first on the CH's goalie list, ahead of Adam Gajan, Michael Hrabal, Trey Augustine, Carson Bjarnason and Damian Clara"

I am really happy about this pick

On 6/29/2023 at 1:52 PM, dlbalr said:

I see more 6'1 listings than 6'2 for him.  But yeah, it does seem odd that this is now 'small' for the position.

i feel they took a page out of basketball player recruiting sometimes with goalies too ... they look at wing span see it cover the net maybe? looooooll :)

• 2 months later...

Another Gazette article on Fowler, very positive on him, but it's really, really early to anoint an 18yo who has yet to play anywhere higher than USHL as the future #1 goalie.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-video-shows-why-canadiens-are-high-on-goalie-jacob-fowler

What I did like in the article was his attitude, and his drive to win and prove himself. Passed over in both USHL and OHL drafts, he really wants to show that he has what it takes. Shades of Xhekaj, maybe, although Fowler certainly didn't need to work at Costco as both his parents are lawyers.

A promising prospect to watch over the next few years,  but far too early to say that the Habs have found their future #1 now.

Intriguing prospect maybe, but is a goalie, so who the hell knows.

And conditioning being issue like was with Joshua Roy, not a great sign.

But, obviously hope he stands on head at Boston College and is great this year.

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That said, goalies are voodoo, so having three drafted, plus the other prospects in our system.... we have to hope one develops. 

And, in the meantime, we hope that Montembeault will perform at last year's level or better, to hold the fort until at least one of the prospects is ready. Unless, of course, Hughes decides to keep DeSmith and trade Montembeault, but that doesn't seem (to me) as a likely scenario.

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And, in the meantime, we hope that Montembeault will perform at last year's level or better, to hold the fort until at least one of the prospects is ready. Unless, of course, Hughes decides to keep DeSmith and trade Montembeault, but that doesn't seem (to me) as a likely scenario.

I also don't think it's likely that Montembault is the one traded.  Either of DeSmith or Allen could go depending on the offers though.  Allen should cost more.