2023 Habs Rookie Camp

GHT120

24 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Thanks for the update. I forgot this game was on. 

Sounds like Mailloux is growing each game and maybe he just had a terrible first game. 

I can’t wait for training camp to really begin. 

Reinbacher didn't really have a good 1st game either; and he was just drafted this year.  Mailloux has waited years for his debut so I'm sure he was more nervous than Reinbacher was.  However, no one said that Reinbacher needs to play in the AHL for years.  It seems like people are being hyper critical of Mailloux. 

Sure Logan made some mistakes in the 1st game, but he also did good things.  ex:  when the other team is breaking out of their zone and Mailloux is backing up over center towards the Habs blue line, his skating is impeccable.  I don't recall ever seeing a young player of his size be able to skate backwards as well as he does.  

In fact I wouldn't say that any of the Habs had a great 1st game really.  A lot of people seemed to knock Dobes but I'd say he played well in the 1st period of that 1st game.  It was the rest of them that didn't do him many favours in the other 2 periods.  

Although all the games are officially over they can actually start whenever someone presses the Play button.  i.e. they can all be watched after the fact.  

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I can’t wait for training camp to really begin. 

I watched a bit of the Boston game but there are no systems, and no one knows his linemates, so it ends up being just random (high-skill) pickup hockey. So I turned it off. 😀

Looking forward to the training camp and seeing some of these kids in a more structured environment.

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

However, no one said that Reinbacher needs to play in the AHL for years.  It seems like people are being hyper critical of Mailloux. 

Reinbacher doesn't have an essentially 2-year "hole" in his development (Covid, suspension, injuries) ... there seems to be consensus that Mailloux is good at the "fun stuff", but (hopefully) thanks to the previously referenced "hole" the defensive side of his game is in need of further development ... also, Reinbacher is almost certain to return to the Swiss-A league this season, which is a much better league than the one in which Mailloux briefly (19 games) played during Covid.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Slafkovsky - Newhook - Anderson 

This was what the Habs rolled with today. 

I wonder how they did?

If Slaf starts to use his size effectively, that could be a great second line.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

If Slaf starts to use his size effectively, that could be a great second line.

Stuff I saw on twitter about that line today was that Slafkovsky couldn’t keep up to the speed of Newhook and Anderson. 

Lots of positive comments about Newhook and Anderson chemistry. Two very fast players…Slafkovsky might work well with Monahan, Dach line. 

Who would be a good fit for the speed line? 🤔

? - Newhook - Anderson 

15 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Stuff I saw on twitter about that line today was that Slafkovsky couldn’t keep up to the speed of Newhook and Anderson. 

Lots of positive comments about Newhook and Anderson chemistry. Two very fast players…Slafkovsky might work well with Monahan, Dach line. 

Who would be a good fit for the speed line? 🤔

? - Newhook - Anderson 

Having that 2 pronged attack with speed wouldn't take away from Slaf being on the line as long as Slaf knew his job was to come in behind and park near the crease.  Also at Slaf's age, making him the slower piece of that line would give him motivation to work more on his skating.  I really believe Dach(most likely) or Slaf would be with Suzuki and Caufield, either way they wouldn't be on the same line.