2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

In the long-term, even filling their building may not be enough ... it has the lowest capacity in the NHL (ignoring the joke in Arizona obviously) ... especially as "regular fans" can't pay the premium "corporate" prices that most teams depend upon, and the corporate market is likely the weakest in the NHL.

That could well be…but if you’re going down, at least go down swinging. Fill the place to the rafters. Make sure that, if the team isn’t viable, it’s because of a wider economic issue, NOT due to lukewarm fan interest. At this point, if the team folds, the fans will have no one to blame but themselves.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

In the long-term, even filling their building may not be enough ... it has the lowest capacity in the NHL (ignoring the joke in Arizona obviously) ... especially as "regular fans" can't pay the premium "corporate" prices that most teams depend upon, and the corporate market is likely the weakest in the NHL.

Maybe yes. But tickets are far from the only income source. I expect the TV contract will bring the Jets much more revenue than Arizona, Anaheim or Caroline etc will get. Merchandising is another facet, don't know how well that works for the Jets. But, for sure, ticket revenue is not the only determining factor.

Just now, tomh009 said:

Maybe yes. But tickets are far from the only income source. I expect the TV contract will bring the Jets much more revenue than Arizona, Anaheim or Caroline etc will get. Merchandising is another facet, don't know how well that works for the Jets. But, for sure, ticket revenue is not the only determining factor.

It may somewhat offset, but the Jets' franchise value is 5th lowest in the NHL ... they are not in a fiscally strong situation.

Jerseys and merch sold in a team owned store (for montreal the store and kiosks at the bell centre, at the laval arena, and at the brossard practice rink) go directly to the team.

However stuff sold in other stores not owned directly by the team goes into a pool and the pool is split 1/32 to each NHL team.  So if you buy a jersey at like the local sporting goods store... it doesnt matter what team, everyone gets a piece 

48 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It may somewhat offset, but the Jets' franchise value is 5th lowest in the NHL ... they are not in a fiscally strong situation.

Franchise value doesn't directly affect the team, that's like the stock price. It's the perceived value of the team, but having a higher (estimated!) value doesn't bring any additional revenue to the team. And while 5th-lowest is not high on the NHL scale, it does not necessarily mean that it's not a viable team. We really don't have enough data to determine that.

13 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Franchise value doesn't directly affect the team, that's like the stock price. It's the perceived value of the team, but having a higher (estimated!) value doesn't bring any additional revenue to the team. And while 5th-lowest is not high on the NHL scale, it does not necessarily mean that it's not a viable team. We really don't have enough data to determine that.

What I said was that it reflected the fiscal situation of the franchise.

DIDN'T say they are either not viable, or moving, but neither are they a financial success.

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

What I said was that it reflected the fiscal situation of the franchise.

DIDN'T say they are either not viable, or moving, but neither are they a financial success.

Not directly the fiscal situation (ie how is the cash flow of the team, or the balance sheet). It's just an estimate of what someone might be willing to pay for the team. It's more to do with the financial potential of the team rather than the current state--and the prestige level of owning said team. That prestige will entice billionaires to buy, but a team in Winnipeg will generally be less desirable than one in Toronto, NYC or LA, for example. Whether they sell 2000 more season tickets or not really won't make much of a difference in that perceived value.

Which is why I really wouldn't use the estimated franchise value as a proxy for the team's financial performance, any more than I would use the estimated brand value to judge whether TikTok does better financially than BMW.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Not directly the fiscal situation (ie how is the cash flow of the team, or the balance sheet). It's just an estimate of what someone might be willing to pay for the team. It's more to do with the financial potential of the team rather than the current state--and the prestige level of owning said team. That prestige will entice billionaires to buy, but a team in Winnipeg will generally be less desirable than one in Toronto, NYC or LA, for example. Whether they sell 2000 more season tickets or not really won't make much of a difference in that perceived value.

Which is why I really wouldn't use the estimated franchise value as a proxy for the team's financial performance, any more than I would use the estimated brand value to judge whether TikTok does better financially than BMW.

Also from the Forbes list, Winipeg has the 5th lowest operating income (i.e., after expenses) ... which is reflected in the estimated value ... but we can agree to disagree I guess about whether Winnipeg is in great/poor financial straits.

15 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Quite the race for the last wild card spot in the west, 5 teams within 3 points of each other. Harder to be a seller when you are that close. 

Good news for actual sellers

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Quite the race for the last wild card spot in the west, 5 teams within 3 points of each other. Harder to be a seller when you are that close. 

Time for:

bottom finish for Celebrini! All the way, baby!

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Thats a horrible phrase.

Bottom finish for Celebrini?

We should be able to workshop something better than that.

How about   "lose some for Lindstrom"  

The Habs aren't finishing at the bottom anyway and Lindstrom is more realistic. 

33 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Playing for Cellarini?

But where is the internal rhyming, alliteration, or assonance, my friend? "Lose-a-rini for Celebrini" would be the Ned Flanders version...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But where is the internal rhyming, alliteration, or assonance, my friend? "Lose-a-rini for Celebrini" would be the Ned Flanders version...

Maybe this is why I struggled in English class!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

:rolleyes:

“Take a pill for Celebrini” may become à propos!

:ph34r:

I realize this is kind of a fun thing thinking of a phrase to go with Celebrini even though we need to win the lottery to get him so losing games doesn't help much, just improves our lottery odds slightly. However any phrase should have some sort of rhyming or alitteration as CC suggested.  I realize Celebrini is not the easiest name to work with. 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

“Cellar for Celebrini?”

“Play obscenely for Celebrini?”

After a loss, you “Celebrate for Celebrini?”

It’s not “Fail for Nail,” I’ll grant ya 🤷‍♂️

Play like a weenie for Celebrini 

Is the best i got.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

“Cellar for Celebrini?”

“Play obscenely for Celebrini?”

After a loss, you “Celebrate for Celebrini?”

It’s not “Fail for Nail,” I’ll grant ya 🤷‍♂️

Nail was his first name.

Anything we can workshop with Macklin?

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I realize this is kind of a fun thing thinking of a phrase to go with Celebrini even though we need to win the lottery to get him so losing games doesn't help much, just improves our lottery odds slightly. However any phrase should have some sort of rhyming or alitteration as CC suggested.  I realize Celebrini is not the easiest name to work with. 

I know , the reality of getting 1st overall is what it is, but I want some insanity and ungrounded fun in my fandom. At least today.