2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

With Sergachev on LTIR, TBL still has $5,927,083 in cap space ... more than enough for David Savard ... :devil:

Yes, you are correct, I looked that up after I posted the comment. A lot of trades happening, Hannifin to Vegas. 

23 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes, you are correct, I looked that up after I posted the comment. A lot of trades happening, Hannifin to Vegas. 

Considering they don't really need to move anyone off their roster, it wouldn't shock me if they do another third-party retention to add another pick.  (They have one left.)  I suspect they'll be making a buyer move which means they'll lose a pick or two so at least they can try to restock this way.

Sounds like there's a third-party retainer in the Hanifin trade as well.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Considering they don't really need to move anyone off their roster, it wouldn't shock me if they do another third-party retention to add another pick.  (They have one left.)  I suspect they'll be making a buyer move which means they'll lose a pick or two so at least they can try to restock this way.

Sounds like there's a third-party retainer in the Hanifin trade as well.

Good point, if you have some extra cap room then you might as well use it to restock and Tampa has traded away a lot of picks in the past. 

The Oilers-Avs game was about as good a game as I have seen this year.  The OT was phenomenal when you get 3 on 3 with McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon and Makar. Arturi scores with a second left.

I still say without a doubt that McDavid is the best player in the world but MacKinnon is certainly number 2, a phenomenal player. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Oilers-Avs game was about as good a game as I have seen this year.  The OT was phenomenal when you get 3 on 3 with McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon and Makar. Arturi scores with a second left.

I still say without a doubt that McDavid is the best player in the world but MacKinnon is certainly number 2, a phenomenal player. 

I was looking at MacKinnon’s stats yesterday and he is tops in offensive markers across the board but mediocre on defensive responsibilities. 

McDavid has better stats overall but MacKinnon has better offensive stats and that is quite the accomplishment 

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It'll be fun to watch them on the same team next year. We've been deprived of best on best international hockey for too long.

Sergachev has started skating again.

Just looked like such a painful injury, glad to hear he is doing OK.

• 2 weeks later...

College free agency has started up.  I've done a series of pieces for PHR with an overview of some of the better options by position.  Some goalies/defence have signed since posting while the forwards were just posted this weekend so they're all still available for now.  Gorton mentioned recently that they were doing some planning for college free agency so it appears they'll be trying to sign some players, likely some of the ones in these columns.

Goalies: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/2024-college-free-agency-preview-goaltenders.html

Defence: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/2024-college-free-agency-preview-defensemen.html

Centres: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/2024-college-free-agency-preview-centers.html

Wingers: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/2024-college-free-agency-preview-wingers.html

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Of course the Devils would not be able to take advantage of the NYR losing Miller and Trouba after 2 seconds of play.  What a shitty season for them.

3 hours ago, DON said:

68pts in 82games last year, 72 in 78games... baby steps.

I have this theory that it's going to be a trickle of small improvements that will suddenly burst the dam at some point - probably surprising 'expert' commentators when it does happen.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 6:05 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I saw this posted today and wow there were a surprising number of #1 overall draft failures since the year 2000. Poor Columbus!

IMG_0354.jpeg

What's interesting about that is Yakupov, Murray and Reinhart were all taken in the 2012 entry draft. Galchenyuk was 3rd that year.  I think without a doubt the worst top 4 taken in any draft in recent memory. 

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

What's interesting about that is Yakupov, Murray and Reinhart were all taken in the 2012 entry draft. Galchenyuk was 3rd that year.  I think without a doubt the worst top 4 taken in any draft in recent memory.

One of the worst for sure. Things get better outside the top four, especially for D (Rielly, Lindholm, Trouba--and Matheson) but none of the the shiny top four picks turned out to be gold.

Beyond the satisfaction of finally seeing an end to the running sore that is the story of this pathetic zombie franchise, I like the idea of a team in Salt Lake City. For some reason, that sounds to me like one of those expansion teams from the 1970s. The Cleveland Barons, the Kansas City Scouts, the California Golden Seals, the Salt Lake City ----.

As for a name, will they keep the cursed 'Coyotes' moniker? Utah is desert country after all. Personally, I would like them to be called the Utah Beauts. A pun on 'Buttes.' Get it? Ya, never happen. They'll probably be called the Salt Lake City Qualtrics.:angry:

Buttes of the Cross - Wikipedia

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As for a name, will they keep the cursed 'Coyotes' moniker? Utah is desert country after all. Personally, I would like them to be called the Utah Beauts. A pun on 'Buttes.' Get it? Ya, never happen. They'll probably be called the Salt Lake City Qualtrics.:angry:

Probably not.  It sounds like as part of the sale, the current Coyotes owner will retain the exclusive naming/branding rights for Coyotes as well as a multi-year agreement for exclusive ownership of the expansion franchise that is widely expected to be granted to Arizona once the arena situation is sorted out and built.  That way, the team moves now but they come back to the market in 2029 or so as an expansion team with a new arena in the TV market they don't want to lose.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Beyond the satisfaction of finally seeing an end to the running sore that is the story of this pathetic zombie franchise, I like the idea of a team in Salt Lake City. For some reason, that sounds to me like one of those expansion teams from the 1970s. The Cleveland Barons, the Kansas City Scouts, the California Golden Seals, the Salt Lake City ----.

Buttes of the Cross - Wikipedia

I-M-O ... the Coyotes move to SLC, rather than the previously rumoured Houston, because there is a deep-pockets owner who wants the team and the NHL is not "losing" a future franchise fee as the city is not high on the NHL's preferred expansion sites ... SLC is far smaller than Houston, Atlanta, "Pheonix" (if someone can figure out an arena), Portland, KC, Cincinnati, Columbus ...

Leaves them $1,464,183 under the projected cap for 18 players, for the 18 players currently on their NHL roster/cap ... although up to $6,464,183 as Lehner undoubtedly will be on LTIR again next season ... Marchessault, Mantha and Stephenson pending UFAs ... also Martinez, but I expect Hanifan is his direct replacement.

VGKs ownership is certainly committed to doing what it takes to "keep the team together" ... will they manage to (do they want to) keep Marchessault?  He could be of interest to HuGo on a short-term deal.

34 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Leaves them $1,464,183 under the projected cap for 18 players, for the 18 players currently on their NHL roster/cap ... although up to $6,464,183 as Lehner undoubtedly will be on LTIR again next season ... Marchessault, Mantha and Stephenson pending UFAs ... also Martinez, but I expect Hanifan is his direct replacement.

VGKs ownership is certainly committed to doing what it takes to "keep the team together" ... will they manage to (do they want to) keep Marchessault?  He could be of interest to HuGo on a short-term deal.

No surprise they got a Hannifin deal done. Marchessault is going on 34 so it would have to be a short term deal however he is coming off a 40+ goal season and is likely looking for at least 3 years. Unless he is dying to play for the Habs and willing to give a big hometown discount then I just don't see it happening.