2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

• tomh009 changed the title to 2023-24 NHL discussion thread

Done with some pizzazz ... but the actual raising seems a bit drawn out ... we are left to assume it made it to the rafters.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Given Habs likely in bottom 10 next spring, will one of these kids be an impact player for the Habs in a couple years? 

2024 NHL Draft rankings: Macklin Celebrini, Cole Eiserman lead pre-season top 32 - Daily Faceoff

Reading stuff like this makes me want to tank already 🤔

Then I think about how great Dach (Chicago are idiots) and Slafkovsky and Newhook played and I want to win 🤔

1 hour ago, DON said:

Given Habs likely in bottom 10 next spring, will one of these kids be an impact player for the Habs in a couple years? 

2024 NHL Draft rankings: Macklin Celebrini, Cole Eiserman lead pre-season top 32 - Daily Faceoff

It is an interesting draft ... VERY likely no Connor Bedard ... but the consensus Top 3, Macklin Celebrini (C), Cole Eiserman (LW) and Ivan Demidov* (RW) all seem like potential gamebreakers ... #4 Artyom Levshunovis is a <GULP> RHD ("The 6-foot-2 <Michigan State University> defender has size, skill and speed, and there’s no question he’d be able to step into NHL action almost immediately") ... #5 Berkly Catton (C ... after 6 games, is on an early-season pace for 45g and 102 pts in 68 games) ...#6 Sam Dickinson, #7 Anton Silayev and #8 Aron Kiviharju are all LHD ... #9 Konsta Helenius (RW) ... #10 Adam Jiricek and #11 Henry Mews are both RHD ... #12 Trevor Connelly (C) ... #13 Ryder Ritchie (RW) ... #14 Cole Hutson (LHD) ... defence-heavy ... half of the Top 14 on that list are blueliners ... of course, all drafts sound great before the players get to the NHL.

* - There are no Michkov-ish "rumours" of character issues and, although a year younger, Demidov has outlasted Michkov with SKA St Petersburg

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Then I think about how great Dach (Chicago are idiots) and Slafkovsky and Newhook played and I want to win 🤔

image.png

This fits here as well as anywhere ... guess we don't get to see this on TV because I don't recall it

Top 10 Pregame Introductions in the NHL - The Hockey News

On 10/13/2023 at 10:58 AM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Thing is, they can still play well and be productive, but we will probably lose unless our goalies start stealing games. As long as Savard is on the first pairing - or even the second pairing, the D is not good enough for us to win.

best case scenario, we have 40+ goals from Caufield and 20+ goal seasons from Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Anderson, and 15+ from Slafkovsky and win the lottery finishing in the bottom 10. Next year Hutson and Reinbacher come in, and in 2025 we have a formidable team.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Thing is, they can still play well and be productive, but we will probably lose unless our goalies start stealing games. As long as Savard is on the first pairing - or even the second pairing, the D is not good enough for us to win.

Let's see how Montembeault plays now that the regular season has started--not only tonight, but for the first month or two.

How will 'Newy' do at centre?

“You always want to have a big role on the team and be part of a winning team,” Newhook said. “Any role I can be in early, now with the injury, no matter how long it’s going to be, it’s just next man mentality and if I’m going to be in a position where I get a bit more of a role and to be reliable and be a guy we can lean on here, it’s important for me to step up and help this team.”

Kirby Dach’s injury and the various ways in which his absence will impact the Canadiens - The Athletic

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

Newy?

They had every opportunity to nickname him Hooker and the went with Newy

I was just thinking the same thing ... or to be creative, from Hooker they could have gone to TJ ... but they are all too young to remember that.

image.png

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Newy?

They had every opportunity to nickname him Hooker and the went with Newy

Pretty standard these days...like 'Suzy'...ugg.

"A Boy named Sue" keeps popping in my mind on that one.

26 minutes ago, DON said:

Pretty standard these days...like 'Suzy'...ugg.

Agree ...  @Commandant and I were merely lamenting the depths to which "nicknaming" has sunk

Even Hooky would have been better. Or Hooks. There's no rule that all nicknames need to end on the "ee" sound.

Still. This group did come up with WiFi, so all is not lost.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Even Hooky would have been better. Or Hooks. There's no rule that all nicknames need to end on the "ee" sound.

Still. This group did come up with WiFi, so all is not lost.

Did they ... or did he bring that one with him?

For those so inclined:

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

For those so inclined:

So we have a  new Souray  (hopefully will be better and not be a pylon on defence like Souray was). Now we just need one our prospects to be the new Markov!

22 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So we have a  new Souray  (hopefully will be better and not be a pylon on defence like Souray was). Now we just need one our prospects to be the new Markov!

Can't believe people are still sleeping on him.

Considering his lack of experience in the league he seems very poised and confident.  

Supremely underrated imo.

5 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Can't believe people are still sleeping on him.

Considering his lack of experience in the league he seems very poised and confident.  

Supremely underrated imo.

Wifi impressed from the moment he came up, and has shown no sign of flagging, despite missing extensive time due to injury last season, and despite the league being more ready for him. 

He is confident, resilient, big, mobile enough, and tough as a boot sandwich. He takes dumb penalties, a tendency that hopefully will lessen with seasoning.

I compared him last season to Kevin Bieksa and continue to think that is not an unreasonable parallel. I see him as ideally a #5 but a guy who can probably become a reasonable #4 too.

The mystery is why he went undrafted. If he had draft pedigree, we'd probably be going out of our minds with excitement about him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wifi impressed from the moment he came up, and has shown no sign of flagging, despite missing extensive time due to injury last season, and despite the league being more ready for him. 

He is confident, resilient, big, mobile enough, and tough as a boot sandwich. He takes dumb penalties, a tendency that hopefully will lessen with seasoning.

I compared him last season to Kevin Bieksa and continue to think that is not an unreasonable parallel. I see him as ideally a #5 but a guy who can probably become a reasonable #4 too.

The mystery is why he went undrafted. If he had draft pedigree, we'd probably be going out of our minds with excitement about him.

That's a pretty good description of him, I have always liked his competitive nature and willingness to work hard to get better. His offense is also under rated. He is great at getting pucks to the next and I would be surprised if he doesn't score 30 points if he stays healthy (I seem to use that disclaimer a lot).   Boot sandwich - love it. 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think he can be a combination of Souray and Odelin - offensive/big shot and defensively responsible. He also seems to have the drive to develop into a dependable 2nd pairing dman on a GOOD, and not just because there are injuries and we have no one else. You can’t teach drive and resolve, and he has it in spades.