2023-24 Laval Rocket discussion thread

tomh009

and they are not 3rd in their division although Marlies heve two games in hand.

They played well, started strong and dominated the play until they got a bunch of unlucky penalties. High sticking penalties for being careless and delay of game. Utica tied the game 1-1 with 0.9 seconds to play in the 1st.

Laval looked deflated for most of the second and ended that period trailing. If I remember correctly, it was after a PP mid-way in the 2nd that they got their momentum back. Bourque has a nice goal mid-way through the 3rd after he fought for the puck on a face off and got a quick shot. then they got two quick goals to seal the deal 3/4 of the way through  the period.

Dobes was great, Mailloux is so good at creating scoring chances! Paquette-Bisson and Mailloux needed a bit of time to adjust to playing together, they looked more at ease with each other as the game went on. Trudeau had a good game and I think Norlinder was better/noticeable in this game.

lineup for game tonight:

I line the Roy- Gignac-Heineman trio.

Cederquist-Stephens-Bourque should create lots of havoc.

Trudeau has been playing well lately, I am curious to see how well he plays with Barron: if the sum of these two improves each other.

Paquette-Bisson-Mailoux looked ok last game. I hope they do better this game.

Go Rocket Go!

2-1 after one period.

two errors in defensive coverage gave the 2-0 lead to Syracuse. Different Rocket players on the ice for the goals. Rocket had a few sequences where they wer creting chances early, but could not convert. after the two goals, they seemed a bit hesitant but then took it to the Crunch and scored after a great board battle sequence.

Dobes seemed to be fighting the puck , sometimes too aggressive in challenging the puck carrier. CLose game, they may still come back.

image.png

Logan Mailloux attacks the offensive zone and attracts 3 or 4 players, some how he gets the puck past them and they score late in the 3rd.

The play by play announcer said earlier in the 2nd that he feels like Roy-Gignac-Heineman are not clicking together and that they look as if they are about to create a turn over.

To me, it seems like the players are not passing to a team mate but moving the puck to where they expect a player to be. They seem to be standing still and waiting too. Play seems chopped up, not fluid like they looked against Belleville.

game still close despite the shaky play

4 minutes to go and I need to go out, will watch the end of the game later. Rocket seems to be close to tying the game, we'll see

Mailloux seems to be developing well and showing off his offensive prowess. A full year in the AHL is exactly what he needed after missing so much time for various reasons. I definitely see him quarterbacking the Habs power play at some point in the future. 

23 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Mailloux seems to be developing well and showing off his offensive prowess. A full year in the AHL is exactly what he needed after missing so much time for various reasons. I definitely see him quarterbacking the Habs power play at some point in the future. 

The question will be can he do anything else well enough to be kept around to fill that role?  Don't know that his offence was EVER at issue.

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The question will be can he do anything else well enough to be kept around to fill that role?  Don't know that his offence was EVER at issue.

That is the question, he certainly has the physical strength and mobility to be good defensively but it takes more than good tools (ie. good judgement, anticipation, smarts). I see Mailloux as a bigger tougher version of Justin Barron with a better shot. 

just finished watching the end of the game. They cam close, but too little to late. Syracuse got the empty net goal.

image.png

I didn't like Barron's game; while Mailloux, Paquette and Trudeau were the better Ds. The Maillet line was the better one. 

Not the best game from Dobes. overall a "Meh" game. It seemed, to my untrained eye, that they were trying plays that they had practiced but not yet executing correctly: lots of passes behind, to no-man's-lane or in traffic.

Let see if they can pick it up in the next game.

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is the question, he certainly has the physical strength and mobility to be good defensively but it takes more than good tools (ie. good judgement, anticipation, smarts). I see Mailloux as a bigger tougher version of Justin Barron with a better shot. 

As an o-l-l-d-d-d guy who remembers players who played both forward and defence in their careers (e.g., Jim Roberts, Rick Chartraw, more recently Mark Streit early-on), ***if*** Mailloux can't develop his blueline game sufficiently to merit TOI, I could see him as a possible winger (big, strong, good skater, good shot) and PP-QB ... come to think of it, WiFi could be used up front as well ***if*** necessary.

N.B. - discussing possibilities, not making predictions or what I hope for.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

As an o-l-l-d-d-d guy who remembers players who played both forward and defence in their careers (e.g., Jim Roberts, Rick Chartraw, more recently Mark Streit early-on), ***if*** Mailloux can't develop his blueline game sufficiently to merit TOI, I could see him as a possible winger (big, strong, good skater, good shot) and PP-QB ... come to think of it, WiFi could be used up front as well ***if*** necessary.

N.B. - discussing possibilities, not making predictions or what I hope for.

As another o-I-I-d-d-d guy, I remember those players. 

Rocekt's game is free on AHL TV today at 5:00PM.

Kaskisuo in nets, if you want to see him in action. It should be a good game

5-3 Rochester late in the 2nd.  Kaskisuo had a rough one, four goals allowed on ten shots in just over 15 minutes of action before getting the hook for a rare Strauss Mann appearance.  Heineman (2) and Cederqvist have the goals for Laval so far.

GE4Xon0XgAAMsRt?format=jpg

On 1/27/2024 at 6:33 PM, dlbalr said:

5-3 Rochester late in the 2nd.  Kaskisuo had a rough one, four goals allowed on ten shots in just over 15 minutes of action before getting the hook for a rare Strauss Mann appearance.  Heineman (2) and Cederqvist have the goals for Laval so far.

GE4Xon0XgAAMsRt?format=jpg

it was a rough game for Kaskisuo, the first goal was weal and after that he was never square to the puck, looked small in his net and he was not challenging the shooter. Second game in a row where the Rocket does not pay well to start the game.

I lost chance to solidify their playoff spot. Lost weekend.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

it was a rough game for Kaskisuo, the first goal was weal and after that he was never square to the puck, looked small in his net and he was not challenging the shooter. Second game in a row where the Rocket does not pay well to start the game.

I lost chance to solidify their playoff spot. Lost weekend.

There was, after all, a reason he was available to sign.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

There was, after all, a reason he was available to sign.

Four excellent games, one very bad one. If he can bounce back, he is still a very good signing. Let's see what happens in his next few starts.

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Four excellent games, one very bad one. If he can bounce back, he is still a very good signing. Let's see what happens in his next few starts.

Didn't mean to suggest he wasn't ... just that when players are available to sign AHL contracts mid-season the occasional bad game is not unexpected.

• Upvote 1