Game 47 Ottawa at Montreal 7pm Tuesday Jan 23

Do you think the Habs can fight for a wildcard spot next season?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Habs make the playoffs in 2024/2025?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

It really depends. If the #5 BPA is 5% better, for example, (however that's defined!) than the #6 player, and the #6 is a forward, then the forward make sense. But if the gap is big, then I do agree.

That's the way I look at it, if it's close you take the forward but if you have a chance to get the next Quinn Hughes then you take the defenseman. 

8 hours ago, Viking said:

😐why can we never play a full three periods? always running out of gas.

That's a good question.  On 1 hand, they are young so they should have a ton of energy.  However, on the other hand they play a grueling 82 game schedule that none of the young players are used to yet.  Moreover, all of those stupid back to back games - which they have won one - are slaying them.  How many of those 2nd games in those back to back games have been their 3rd game in 4 nights?  I'm not sure of the exact answer, but its quite a few and its way too many.  

Good on Caufield for speaking out about the back to back games.  The Habs should be talking to all their buddies on other teams trying to get them to complain about it too.  The players do belong to a union so they should campaign for a new rule in the next CBA to limit the amount of back to back games that the NHL can force them to endure.  

Do the Habs have a fitness coordinator?  If not, they should hire 1 so when everyone goes home during the summer they are all on a similar conditioning and training program that will help them get through an 82 game schedule.  i.e. they way some of the train (like WiFi) they are building muscle but they're not working on endurance.  

20 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

i posted that on another thread months ago. I think it was on RDS or on French radio. 
I will not look it up, but it was reported at the time.

If am not mistaken, and this I am not clear about, JM was considered to be a consultant for MSL.

Fair enough.  I googled Jacques Martin and Martin St. Louis and couldn't find anything on this.

Without the actual source i have no idea how much weight to put on this.  Seems weird a rookie coach would reject an experienced assistant though.

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Is Struble the real deal? I mean, he kinda came out of nowhere, little pedigree and no hype. And although he’s had a few less-than-stellar games in recent tilts, by and large he seems to do is bring a strong game on the nightly. By contrast, a fairly hyped prospect like Barron has been in and out, hit and miss. What do we make of this?

Struble was taken 46th overall in 2019.  Barron 25th in 2020.

I wouldnt say there is as much difference in pedigree as you say.  The difference is Barron got more attention being in the Q instead of USHL/NCAA, had more offensive stats, and was part of a high profile trade.

But thats all just hype.  The pedigree of a late first rounder and middle of the second round isnt that much different 

I mean struble was drafted 3 spots lower than PK subban, amd considerably higher than Lane Hutson.  Two.guys with hype.

Points is hype.

image.png

EVERYONE's favourite (😉) Pierre McGuire, on TSN 690, suggested that the recent stretch in particular is because the team has come to realize that they are not in the wildcard race and that disappointment has sapped their energy/focus ... I think that their "success" to date is the result their working at a higher percentage of their "best" (e.g., 90% as opposed to the 75-80% that most teams can usually muster in the long regular season) but it isn't sustainable

On 1/23/2024 at 10:14 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

When Jacques was hired as a consultant for DJ Smith, reporters said that MSL was offered an experienced coach like JM and that he refused.

The report clearly said that unless MSL accepts, the Habs cannot imposé a seasoned coach.

—-

I do not think this games was lost due to coaching. The team is depleted and HughGort has not helped his coach by making some trades to plug some holes.

Seems like HughGort is still trying to time his trades or max value for the future. I agree with that approach, but it sucks 

@Commandant Here is an article that appeared around that time:

https://hockey30.com/nouvelles/martin-st-louis-aurait-eu-besoin-de-jacques-martin/

And here is my post quoting François Gagnon on RDS:

On 12/8/2023 at 9:48 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

Agreed 

Francois Gagnon said that the Habs asked MSL if he would want a coach consultant (like Jaques Martin) and MSL said no.

DJ Smith did the opposite ( that was Gagnon’s point: the coach has to accept)

I don’t know if MSL will even be a “tactical master” , but it is certain he can relate to players and communicate clearly. 

I mention this because MSL seems confident on his abilities as coach; that is endearing but may be his downfall

I appreciate you sourcing that.

Hockey30 is a shit rag though.  Im not blaming you, Im just saying they arent the type of site where I believe any of their rumours.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

I appreciate you sourcing that.

Hockey30 is a shit rag though.  Im not blaming you, Im just saying they arent the type of site where I believe any of their rumours.

François Gagnon is with RDS, and he is very credible. He is the one I quoted. I used the article/link to to HOckey30 to find the date to my post.

François said that on TV

12 hours ago, GHT120 said:

image.png

EVERYONE's favourite (😉) Pierre McGuire, on TSN 690, suggested that the recent stretch in particular is because the team has come to realize that they are not in the wildcard race and that disappointment has sapped their energy/focus ... I think that their "success" to date is the result their working at a higher percentage of their "best" (e.g., 90% as opposed to the 75-80% that most teams can usually muster in the long regular season) but it isn't sustainable

Yup, as much as I think McGuire is a Bozo, I can accept this. I remember Saku Koivu having a couple of seasons where he would go pointless for five or six games after the Habs were removed from playoff contention - clearly demoralized. If a committed warrior like Koivu can suffer such dips, surely young players can.

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

Struble was taken 46th overall in 2019.  Barron 25th in 2020.

I wouldnt say there is as much difference in pedigree as you say.  The difference is Barron got more attention being in the Q instead of USHL/NCAA, had more offensive stats, and was part of a high profile trade.

But thats all just hype.  The pedigree of a late first rounder and middle of the second round isnt that much different 

I mean struble was drafted 3 spots lower than PK subban, amd considerably higher than Lane Hutson.  Two.guys with hype.

Points is hype.

Points, yep. Also the fact that we traded to acquire Barron - that probably raised his cache. Struble is not a very flashy player, and that probably also allows him to stay under the radar.

As was also noted, Struble went from university almost immediately into the NHL (!). Maybe if he’d had more time in Laval, he’d have been a higher profile prospect with the fanbase and media. It reminds me a little bit - although it was another time - of John LeClair, who as I recall seemed to come out of nowhere when they brought him up. Guys who marinade in university sometimes seem to be a little more mature and therefore better positioned to make the jump. 

I agree that Hockey30 is clickbait rag ... I suspect that they took Gagnon's comment about a veteran coach LIKE Jacques Martin and set it in concrete ... I also suspect that Gagnon was using Martin as an example of a possible veteran coach to support MSL's development, not as a specific rumour of who was being considered ... I do recall a rumour that MSL had reached out to Torts to join him but unfortunately, he was in the process of chasing/being-hired-for the Flyers job.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree that Hockey30 is clickbait rag ... I suspect that they took Gagnon's comment about a veteran coach LIKE Jacques Martin and set it in concrete ... I also suspect that Gagnon was using Martin as an example of a possible veteran coach to support MSL's development, not as a specific rumour of who was being considered ... I do recall a rumour that MSL had reached out to Torts to join him but unfortunately, he was in the process of chasing/being-hired-for the Flyers job.

Yup, the point is without a transcription or video of exactly what Gagnon said, I have no idea how to evaluate this.  Is he credible? of course.... but his words can only be parsed through knowing exactly what they were otherwise its just a game of telephone. 

• Like 1