Game 47 Ottawa at Montreal 7pm Tuesday Jan 23

Do you think the Habs can fight for a wildcard spot next season?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Habs make the playoffs in 2024/2025?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Thats a stupid penalty from Xhekaj 

At least he was putting that goon Giroux in his place ... 😉  😜

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I expected montreal to beat Ottawa badly tonight. 

This is crap 💩 

I've felt for a long-time that MSL needs a veteran coach on the bench or at least as a consultant to support him ... he may be (or become) a good NHL coach but he needs grooming as much as the players.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I've felt for a long-time that MSL needs a veteran coach on the bench or at least as a consultant to support him ... he may be (or become) a good NHL coach but he needs grooming as much as the players.

I agree with you. 

Marty seems to an exceptional teacher and talent developer but today‘s lines and game plan didn’t make much sense to me. 

Perhaps it’s as @Commandant suggests, that this team is not very good. Maybe we are headed for a hard slide down the standings. We haven’t had a serious losing streak this year yet. 

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree with you. 

Marty seems to an exceptional teacher and talent developer but today‘s lines and game plan didn’t make much sense to me. 

Perhaps it’s as @Commandant suggests, that this team is not very good. Maybe we are headed for a hard slide down the standings. We haven’t had a serious losing streak this year yet. 

I said somewhere recently that (too?) many fans have believed/hoped that the Habs best games this season reflected the "real" team ... ignoring that as much as they "play up" to better teams they may be "playing down" to the Canadiens level, allowing Montreal to look better than they are.

I remember being surprised that MSL was not given a seasoned veteran assistant along the lines of Jacques Martin. That being said, Letowski has a lot of coaching experience…just not at this level.

Personally, I am willing to endure MSL growth pains in the “game management” part of things if he is doing a strong job developmentally. But at some point, wins will matter more, and MSL had better be ready.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree with this 100%.

Sens are creeping up the standings and may finish ahead of us yet.

I'll wait till we have a roster actually capable of competing at the NHL level before judging Marty. For now, he seems to be doing a good job at development. Hopefully we come out of another lost year with some more forward talent in the system.

3 minutes ago, Neech said:

I'll wait till we have a roster actually capable of competing at the NHL level before judging Marty. For now, he seems to be doing a good job at development. Hopefully

Hopefully St-Louis will be as keen on his own personal development as he was when he was a player. If he is, I could see him succeeding for the longer term, as he certainly has the smarts for that. But if he feels that the development is all on the players, he will not last nearly as long--at least as head coach.

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I still think we need better coaching on PP and PK.

Could be the same person/people.

6 minutes ago, Neech said:

Sens are creeping up the standings and may finish ahead of us yet.

Wouldn't surprise me ... and I certainly don't want the Sens drafting before us in June.

31 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I said somewhere recently that (too?) many fans have believed/hoped that the Habs best games this season reflected the "real" team ... ignoring that as much as they "play up" to better teams they may be "playing down" to the Canadiens level, allowing Montreal to look better than they are.

I don't think fans believed those games reflected the "real" team, I think those games showed what the Habs can be capable of if they play will some emotion. Young teams tend to be inconsistent and that's what we are seeing now. Of course there are certainly some flaws with this team as well. Growing pains. 

When Jacques was hired as a consultant for DJ Smith, reporters said that MSL was offered an experienced coach like JM and that he refused.

The report clearly said that unless MSL accepts, the Habs cannot imposé a seasoned coach.

—-

I do not think this games was lost due to coaching. The team is depleted and HughGort has not helped his coach by making some trades to plug some holes.

Seems like HughGort is still trying to time his trades or max value for the future. I agree with that approach, but it sucks 

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Anyone got a source that MSL refused an experienced coach?  Ive certainly not heard that.

i posted that on another thread months ago. I think it was on RDS or on French radio. 
I will not look it up, but it was reported at the time.

If am not mistaken, and this I am not clear about, JM was considered to be a consultant for MSL.

Struble had a great game :

Something that may show that the Habs have over achieved a little based on their record this season. 

They have the worst goal differential in the Eastern conference and only the sharks, Blackhawks and ducks are worse in the whole league.

16 minutes ago, sim.on said:

Something that may show that the Habs have over achieved a little based on their record this season. 

They have the worst goal differential in the Eastern conference and only the sharks, Blackhawks and ducks are worse in the whole league.

if you sort the standings by points% or using the Hockey-Reference "Simple Rating System" like here, they are in the bottom 8 of the league. But we expected that, right?

I like how the young core (Slaf, Ghule, Caufileld, RHP, Roy) is progressing. I hope they get higher-level scoring talent up-front

image.png

Yes, absolutely. No one expected this team to contend for the playoffs and that was assuming Dach and Newhook were going to play the majority the games.

Good news is they're going to pick up another good player at he draft this year 

39 minutes ago, sim.on said:

A fair point of discussion. 

You definitely see some anomalies when you look at goal differential, for example Washington is -26 and is 5 games above 5, Ottawa is only -8 and is 6 games below 5?? Obviously an indication of an ability or being fortunate to win the close ones but then have a few stinkers. The Islanders are -21 but 4 games above 500. Likely not sustainable to be able to keep winning the close ones so I expect Washington and the Islanders to slip down unless they can play better. Same with the Habs.  It suggests that Ottawa may catch the Habs as the Sens have lost a lot of close ones and if they can turn that around they may have a much better 2nd half. Goaltending likely is a factor as well. Washington is not scoring much but Lindgren has had a terrific year (.926 save %) and kept them in a lot of games. Can he keep it up? 

19 minutes ago, sim.on said:

Yes, absolutely. No one expected this team to contend for the playoffs and that was assuming Dach and Newhook were going to play the majority the games.

Good news is they're going to pick up another good player at he draft this year 

I agree, I don't think anyone was expecting a playoff team especially after Dach went down for the year. We need to get a top notch forward at the draft, just stating the obvious I know.