Koivu Re-Signed

zumpano21

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn! Beat me to it!

Seems like too much money, but I'm glad he's here.

How much is he getting? I haven't seen any dollar amount anywhere

Great news to keep him around, now hopefully with that out of the way and the Olympics to revitalize him, let's hope he gets healthy and gets back to leading this team the way we know he can

I got this from sportsnet forum:

Finnish link

http://www.iltalehti.fi

Edit. A short translation to those who for some reason don't understand Finnish.

"Hockey player Saku Koivu's career continues with the Motreal Canadiens. Koivu signed a deal with the Canadian club for three years. The contract brings Koivu 4,75 million USD a season. Total value of the deal is 14,25 M$.

I'm very satisfied that the deal was made in good time. The negotiations went very well. I believe that Montreal can build a succesful team during next two years, Koivu commented.

We thought about all options in the family. There really was no reason to leave Montreal. We like it in here and my position in the tem and in the organisation is good. This was the best option."

I don't know if it is correct or not.

I got this from sportsnet forum:

Finnish link

http://www.iltalehti.fi

Edit. A short translation to those who for some reason don't understand Finnish.

"Hockey player Saku Koivu's career continues with the Motreal Canadiens. Koivu signed a deal with the Canadian club for three years. The contract brings Koivu 4,75 million USD a season. Total value of the deal is 14,25 M$.

I'm very satisfied that the deal was made in good time. The negotiations went very well. I believe that Montreal can build a succesful team during next two years, Koivu commented.

We thought about all options in the family. There really was no reason to leave Montreal. We like it in here and my position in the tem and in the organisation is good. This was the best option."

I don't know if it is correct or not.

Wow, if that is the amount it does seem a bit high...

But he is our captain and really didn't get a raise for like 5 years, but along with money comes expectations, and he's going to have to get back on track. (if that amount is true, it is easily made up by the dumping of Sunny in the offseason).

as much as I like him, he's not worth that much money.

now we need to find him a solid winger who'll get the puck in the corners for him

Yes!!! I am very glad to have Koivu signed.

BG sees his Captain for what he brings in ways that none of us out here will ever see. I trust Bob's eye for leadership, and with the tutelage of Gainey,Carbo and Jarvis this team will flourish over time.

I also think the price might be a bit high, but offering a higher salary seems to be something certain Canadian teams need to do to compete. If that's what it takes and we stilll have cap room, so be it.

In the end I hope Saku retires as a habs and has a future with the team, like we used to have in the grand ole days of this Franchise.

Lastly, and above all else I want to see tangible results. Wins, wins, wins!!!

Go Habs Go!!

Peace

he has played for less than market value for a number of years due to cancer and injuries. He is getting it all back now. He is a good guy but 4+mill in the new nhl seems high. I would have figured 3-3.5 but we need him for now. he will be injured and it will end his career in the next 2 years. All in all a good signing.

On TSN, they say that it's 4.75M$/year for 3 years.

Glad that he's staying, but that's a lot of money for a guy is qualiber :angry:

Another long-term hit on our cap :angry:

Honestly, I have mixed fillings about this contract. BG won't be too active on the UFA market this summer....unless Theo gets traded...

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

The cap may very well increase as well.

On HNIC they were saying around 42-45 million.

It is a tad high for Koivu, especially when you consider that between him, Kovalev and Theodore, 14.75 million in cap space has been spent. Perhaps something has to give, or perhaps the cap will indeed go up.

Edited by Talon

The cap may very well increase as well.

On HNIC they were saying around 42-45 million.

It is a tad high for Koivu, especially when you consider that between him, Kovalev and Theodore, 14.75 million in cap space has been spent. Perhaps something has to give, or perhaps the cap will indeed go up.

The cap will go up...and I wouldn't be surprised if Theo is dealt at some point, now or in the offseason, he just doesn't seem to jive with BOB.

BG and especially Carbo know what Saku brings and this is part of restoring the franchise to what it was.

Seems a bit high, but what would he have recieved as a UFA on the open market? probably something close if not the same or even slightly higher. He deserves it for what he's done.

He's got to earn it now, since he is no longer officially a bargain but is getting paid at a good level

Dropping Bonk and Sundstrom will give us some room to sign another big $ player.

Sunny makes under 1 million and Bonk is signed for another 2 years I believe.

For what Sunny makes and for what his role is on the team I feel as though he will stay. As for Bonk, although he may not be earning his salary, I do think he has earned his spot on the team lately.

he has played for less than market value for a number of years due to cancer and injuries. He is getting it all back now. He is a good guy but 4+mill in the new nhl seems high. I would have figured 3-3.5 but we need him for now. he will be injured and it will end his career in the next 2 years. All in all a good signing.

nobody else listens to me. So I will reply to myself he makes 3.4 mill now so 4+ is reasonable on the dollar terms but he is very injury prone and therefore should be signed for less than market value because he has never played 80+ games in the nhl to my knoledge

Sunny makes under 1 million and Bonk is signed for another 2 years I believe.

For what Sunny makes and for what his role is on the team I feel as though he will stay. As for Bonk, although he may not be earning his salary, I do think he has earned his spot on the team lately.

There is no way Sunny is re-signed for what he is making, or for anything more that 500K there is no room for him on this team....he's been a healthy scratch for a reason and the only reason he is playing again is because of injury

Edited by gohabsgo252006