Koivu Re-Signed

zumpano21

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way Sunny is re-signed for what he is making, or for anything more that 500K there is no room for him on this team....he's been a healthy scratch for a reason and the only reason he is playing again is because of injury

I think Sundstrom still brings something to the team, whether it be his knowledge of the game or what have you. Perhaps he will sign for the league min, I would be happy if he did. He is a smart player who understands the defensive aspects of the game very well, he is well-liked by the coaching staff and can probably teach the young kids a thing or two about the PK. He can also fill in for injured players without being a liability on the ice. This is solely my personal opinion, but I "hope" he is back.

I think under this year's salary cap, Koivu's new salary might seem a bit high, BUT they're saying the cap will increase by $3-4 million, and in that case, it's really not that bad.

That being said, I'm happy Saks isn't going anywhere! And we'll have a cup by 2009!

Well, it's a lot of money, and the no-trade clause means it's a serious commitment (I thought those weren't allowed under the new CBA?)... but if there's a player that Montreal should make a commitment to, it's Koivu. We all know he'll be giving his all, every game, regardless of the money. Maybe it's too much when evaluated strictly from a statistical point of view, but Gainey recognizes he brings a lot more than goals and assists. His leadership on the team is probably underestimated. Nobody knows what goes on in the dressing room, but in my opinion his on-ice leadership is the most important kind, and it's top quality.

I'm happy to have him on my team. I hope he'll retire as a habs, hopefully with a couple of Stanley Cup rings. Wouldn't that be nice? :hockey:

:hlogo:

I am dissappointed as that is first center money. I just don't see Koivu being our number one center if this team is going to become a cup contender. I could see him as a key member of the team and a number two center, but our hands will be tied.

If Koivu wanted that much money I would have let him go and signed a better number one center as a free agent. Worse, he got a no trade clause.

In other words we just tied up about 10 percent of the team's salary for a guy who will probably average less then 60 points a season. If you are dissapointed in Theo's salary and how it handicaps the team, wait a year and see what you think if Koivu's decline continues.

I hope I am wrong about him. Maybe he will get better, but I doubt it. He is a small, frisky center with pretty good skills, but has never really broken out of that average "number one center" level.

Saku is going to have to play much better then he has this year to warrent that contract, imo. People complain about ribs who makes peanuts compared with Saku and is only a few points behind....

Ah well, i wish the best for Koivu, but from a team perspective i think this was a mistake that will ensure we stay at the level we are now for another few years. :(

Edited by brobin

I like the signing, but agree with those who believe it is a bit too much money. $4 million per year would have been easier to swallow. I had also hoped Kovalev could have been had for the same rate. Oh well. Koivu is the type of player who will want to prove he is worth all that money. We should expect some outstanding efforts from him in the coming weeks.

In other words we just tied up about 10 percent of the team's salary for a guy who will probably average less then 60 points a season. If you are dissapointed in Theo's salary and how it handicaps the team, wait a year and see what you think if Koivu's decline continues.

Decline? I agree that he got to much money but his point production hasnt declined. Injuryfree Koivu is good for 80 points and Im sure of it. But since he hasnt played many injuryfree seasons he cant claim to be worth that kinda cash. The games Ive seen with the habs this year when kovalev and koivu were on the ice they didnt let go of the puck. They had great scoring chances almost every shift. If they could find a way to be motivated to play that way all season they would be in the top 20s in points both of them.

We'll have to see how FA signings play out over the summer, but my initial reaction is that we paid way, way too much for a guy who is basically a terrific second line centreman, who has sustained very serious injuries that may well limit his shelf-life, and who, incidentally, is having a garbage season by his standards. I remember asking how much we should pay for Saku on another thread, and the consensus answer was around 3.5 million. To me, this will only make sense if Bob expects substantial cap increases and, perhaps, forsees a salary dump (e.g., Theodore). Time will tell, but between Kovy and Koivu Bob has NOT shown tremendously shrewd salary management skills...worrisome under a cap system. Oh well.

This is stupid, Theo contract number two here we go. Koivu has not been that great this year, he take stupid penalties, doesn't look that fast and he's not getting any younger. Why increase his salary? Why make it so long?

If they couldn't have signed him for what he was making before for only two years then let him go. I think most habs fans have enough money sense to realize when they are being taken advantage of. We don't have to worry about his no trade clause because his price tag would have been seen as the same thing. No one would want him at this price and frankly neither do I.

Forget the cap, look at how the Habs traditionally spend on the team. Were done, don't look for any great free agency signings now.

koivu would've gotten that kind of money else where.. it's was the price to pay...even if I think it,s to expensive

Edited by marky_and_komi

We have a proven point per game guy in Koivu, he would get this kind of contract on many teams.

There is alot of comments about his ability to be a true #1 center. I think he is a 1.5, better than second line but not top tier first line.

All we need to do is sign another #1 or 2 center and a #2 defenceman and I think we are rolling.

I am happy as shit we have Koivu back and I pray captain K will hoist the cup over his head soon.

I too think the Habs overpaid...any chance of getting a real #1 like Jokinen are out the window now it would seem.

Zednik, Bonk and Theo = around 10 million

All three of them could leave right now and the Habs would not even feel it. We have existing players able to fill their roles.

What could we get for 10 milion?

The biggest worry I have about this signing is that it indicates to me that Gainey thinks Koivu is our number one center for the next three years. Hence he doesn't plan to get a better center then Koivu.

I just don't get it. He is getting less then a point a game, but even if he did get a point a game his max is about 80 points. Factor in injuries and he typically gets 60. He looks like he is slowing down as well.

My concern is that he is not a top ten first line center now, and i don't see why he would suddenly become one at his age.

Too much for too long if you ask me.

Does anybody think that this would work?

Both trades before deadline.

To Wild: Jose Theodore / Richard Zednik / Francis Bouillon / 2nd Round Draft Pick

To Habs: Manny Fernandez / Pierre-Marc Bouchard

To Hawks: Mike Ribeiro / Craig Rivet / Radek Bonk / 3rd Round Draft Pick

To Habs: Mark Bell / Adrian Aucoin / 2nd Round Draft Pick

Free Agency: Jason Arnott or Olli Jokinen/ Teemu Selanne / Danny Markov

That would give us for the 06-07 Season....

Alexander Perezhogin(1.2) / Jason Arnott(4) or Olli Jokinen(4) / Alexei Kovalev(4.5)

Teemu Selanne(2.5) / Saku Koivu(4.75) / Michael Ryder(1.85)

Mark Bell(1) / Tomas Plekanec(.75) / Pierre-Marc Bouchard(1.5)

Jan Bulis(1.5) / Steve Begin(.65) / Chris Higgins(.85)

Adrian Aucoin(4) / Andrei Markov(2)

Sheldon Souray(2.35) / Danny Markov(2.5)

Mathieu Dandenault(1.7) / Mike Komisarek(0.85)

Manny Fernandez(2.5) / Christobal Huet(1.25)

JP Cote, Andrei Kastitsyn, Guillame Latendress(probably start in Hamilton), Garth Murray etc. in reserve.

With the cap going up to 42-45 million and the added salaries above being 42.2 million.. I think its doable.

But like with every other way to improve the team i suggest itll probably be shot down.

To the guy talking about 10mil: Theo isn't going to go anywhere. Nonetheless, Bonk and Zednik is roughly 5 mil.

Koivu's still on pace for a pretty decent year, 22 goals w. 40 assists for 62pts in 71 games.

I'm glad he got a no-trade clause. He is the heart and soul of the Habs and this proves it.

About these trades you're talking about, I'm sure that the Chicago one wouldn't work because of the salaries involved and the fact that Aucoin's injured. Bell's a real quality player, I really doubt that even dumping Aucoin's salary would be enough..Rivet's a real solid player, I'm sure if they were offered him and a 2nd round pick for Aucoin, they'd do it..but I doubt that would really make sense for Montreal.

The Wild one doesn't make too much sense unless Fernandez is not going to be re-signed. Chances are they might keep him since he's the big reason they're in the playoff picture and trade Roloson.

Edited by smon

Does anybody think that this would work?

Both trades before deadline.

To Wild: Jose Theodore / Richard Zednik / Francis Bouillon / 2nd Round Draft Pick

To Habs: Manny Fernandez / Pierre-Marc Bouchard

To Hawks: Mike Ribeiro / Craig Rivet / Radek Bonk / 3rd Round Draft Pick

To Habs: Mark Bell / Adrian Aucoin / 2nd Round Draft Pick

Free Agency: Jason Arnott or Olli Jokinen/ Teemu Selanne / Danny Markov

That would give us for the 06-07 Season....

Alexander Perezhogin(1.2) / Jason Arnott(4) or Olli Jokinen(4) / Alexei Kovalev(4.5)

Teemu Selanne(2.5) / Saku Koivu(4.75) / Michael Ryder(1.85)

Mark Bell(1) / Tomas Plekanec(.75) / Pierre-Marc Bouchard(1.5)

Jan Bulis(1.5) / Steve Begin(.65) / Chris Higgins(.85)

Adrian Aucoin(4) / Andrei Markov(2)

Sheldon Souray(2.35) / Danny Markov(2.5)

Mathieu Dandenault(1.7) / Mike Komisarek(0.85)

Manny Fernandez(2.5) / Christobal Huet(1.25)

JP Cote, Andrei Kastitsyn, Guillame Latendress(probably start in Hamilton), Garth Murray etc. in reserve.

With the cap going up to 42-45 million and the added salaries above being 42.2 million.. I think its doable.

But like with every other way to improve the team i suggest itll probably be shot down.

I forgot about Aucoin being injured, hold that trade off til the offseason.

I think the salaries you had suggested for JOkinen and Fernandez are below what they will recieve on the open market

Manny I figure will require at least 3 yr. 9 Million, probably closer to 10

WHile Jokinen will go for 5 million a year probably somewhere other than Florida

Obviously just my opinion, definitely 2 guys i would like to have or Arnott instead of Jokinen. I think Kosty will be ready to step in next year though.

Also, i think Bulis and Higgins are at least 3rd liners.

I do think it's just a matter of time before BG dumps Theo's salary and will go after a FA in teh offseason to replace him. Could be waiting to see who's availabe in the summer before he commits to dumping him, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

That said, Koivu belongs here and i'm glad he's staying, this is a step for the franchise committing to the captain and showing other players who might ocme here that they will be supported

I do think it's just a matter of time before BG dumps Theo's salary and will go after a FA in teh offseason to replace him. Could be waiting to see who's availabe in the summer before he commits to dumping him, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I agree, BG will dump theo the second he gets the chance.