Potential Ufa's For 2006-07

MCeh

Given BG's inaction to acquire another player (besides Todd Simpson) with the freed cap space, here's a list of potential UFA's for the speculators of the '06-'07 season.

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/article5580.html

Some of the players are evidently off the list now, namely the popular Jokinen.

Edited by MCeh

This guy made me laugh hard with this comment:

"Every f***ing one of them is going to the Leafs, did you not know that?"

I'm pretty sure there's more players available, that site gave like a quick overview.

Holy crap...

Brett Clark, (III)

Jim Dowd, (III)

Dan Hinote, (III)

Antti Laaksonen, (III)

Joe Sakic, (III)

Karlis Skrastins, (III)

Peter Budaj, (II)

Vitaly Kolesnik, (II)

John-Michael Liles, (II)

Cody McCormick, (II)

Brett McLean, (II)

Marek Svatos, (II)

Alex Tanguay, (II)

Ossi Vaananen, (II)

They all need to be re-signed. o_O

Well, Dowd is a maybe. Assisted on the game winner tonight though.

Gainey should really look into signing Daniel Briere and Denis Gauthier; Briere would finally give us a great second center while Gauthier would solidify the defense as a 5th/6th guy. Although I couldn't care less even if the Habs had zero francophones on the team, it would also please the close minded fans who cannot appreciate non-francophone Quebec players.

According to the list, JP Dumont is also a Group III free agent, which means that Montreal could sign him; he could especially help if we were to also sign Briere as they are playing well together in Buffalo.

Montreal could perhaps take a gamble on Eric Daze; he's a good goal scorer, and he definitely needs a change of scenery.

Signing Derrek Morris would be great, but I can't think of one single reason why he would want to come to Montreal; he'll get plenty of offers from other teams.

Also, other minor deals that could be interesting:

Ramzi Abid: local kid who would provide depth as a reserve player, or boost the Bulldogs roster to help the many young kids that are coming (like Chipchura).

Simon Gamache: For the same reasons as Abid; depth or minor league boost.

Jarko Ruutu: He'll probably resign with the Canucks, but he would be a great forth liner for us. He'll at least protect Koivu.

Don't they both have options for next season?

Lacroix announced back in....November I think that they wouldn't pick up either option. We'll re-sign them for less instead of paying them a combined 12 mil. Although I doubt we re-sign Blake anymore now that we have Theo's contract.

And I thought Morris re-signed with Phoenix yesterday?

Signing Derrek Morris would be great, but I can't think of one single reason why he would want to come to Montreal; he'll get plenty of offers from other teams.

Morris signed a 3 year extension with the Yotes yesterday (or Wednesday) so he's off the market.

Morris signed a 3 year extension with the Yotes yesterday (or Wednesday) so he's off the market.

That's true, I forgot about that. Ah well, he hasn't progressed too well over the last couple seasons anyway. We'll go after Lidstrom and Chara instead :P (like we have a chance)!

Still, Denis Gauthier has apparently mentionned in recent past that he would love to play here, and I'm sure that Daniel Briere could be interested as well. We should try to sign them both; they would fit in nicely on this roster.

Go after Jovanovski or Kubina and Briere.. I'd think Jovo-cop's asking price could be lowered because of injuries. But this is all hypothetical.

Looking at this, no real big names jump out as ones Montreal could be making cap room for. Chara or Redden seem a bit too perfect; it's plausible Ottawa dumps salaries like Bryan Smolinski and manages to re-sign em.

There's always the trade market, mind you. But the pressure will be on Gainey (when is it not) to make good use of it in the offseason.

Go after Jovanovski or Kubina and Briere.. I'd think Jovo-cop's asking price could be lowered because of injuries. But this is all hypothetical.

There are indeed better players than the ones I mentionned, but I'm trying to be realistic as of who would be willing to sign with Montreal. I would love to see Jovanovski, but what are the chances he signs with Montreal? He'll weither want to play close to home, of for an established contender.

That's true, I forgot about that. Ah well, he hasn't progressed too well over the last couple seasons anyway. We'll go after Lidstrom and Chara instead :P (like we have a chance)!

Still, Denis Gauthier has apparently mentionned in recent past that he would love to play here, and I'm sure that Daniel Briere could be interested as well. We should try to sign them both; they would fit in nicely on this roster.

I would love to see Denis Gauthier here

Well, never underestimate the power of the almighty dollar. Chicago did indeed convince Adrian Aucoin (the most sought after UFA defenseman last summer) to ink with them. Now whether signing him was a mistake is a different story..

I would definitely offer Daze a contract. Sure the guys been terribly unhealthy, but look at this production, any season where he played at least 30 games, he's scored 20 goals, 9 seasons of 20 plus goals! Since he's been gone all year, you can sign him to a bonus contract (less guaranteed money but bonuses based on performance, ala Lindros/Allison). If his back therapy works out, he can be the power forward we've been looking for.

Also, I'd look at the players that could be enticed by Gainey/Carbo.

I'd thin of Arnott, two-way center with size.

A list of players who I would have interest in (Don't want them all, but this is the group I'd like BG to pick from). Strictly from the group of UFAs. HOwever I wouldn't rule out a trade at the draft from BG.

D

Kim Johnson

Ruslan Salei

Niklas Lidstrom (obviously)

Joe Corvo??

Fillip Kuba

Danny Markov

Brendan Witt

Marek Zidlicky

Zdeno Chara

Wade Redden

Pavel Kubina

Willie Mitchell

Forwards

Teemu Selanne

P.J. Axelsson

Maxim Afinogenov

Daniel Briere

David Vyborny

Jason Arnott

Brendan Shanahan

Patrick Elias

Jarko Ruutu

These guys would all command very different salaries and would all play very different roles, but from the list of UFAs these are teh guys that stand out to me that I would want on my team. Let me know your opinions.

Edited by gohabsgo252006

I would definitely offer Daze a contract. Sure the guys been terribly unhealthy, but look at this production, any season where he played at least 30 games, he's scored 20 goals, 9 seasons of 20 plus goals! Since he's been gone all year, you can sign him to a bonus contract (less guaranteed money but bonuses based on performance, ala Lindros/Allison). If his back therapy works out, he can be the power forward we've been looking for.

Sorry GoHabs2002 I would be surprised if Daze did not retire after this season. He had all last year to work out and rehab is back. He was injured again and is pretty sure his pro career is over. If it is not over I do not see a reason to not offer him the minimum salary but nothing more than that his health is not worth it to the organization.

Arnott is a pipe dream as well as he had an interview earlier in the season saying how he has finally found a home in Dallas that he is happy with and he hopes to retire as a Star.

Sorry GoHabs2002 I would be surprised if Daze did not retire after this season. He had all last year to work out and rehab is back. He was injured again and is pretty sure his pro career is over. If it is not over I do not see a reason to not offer him the minimum salary but nothing more than that his health is not worth it to the organization.

Arnott is a pipe dream as well as he had an interview earlier in the season saying how he has finally found a home in Dallas that he is happy with and he hopes to retire as a Star.

THat's too bad for Daze...his goal stats were impressive

Maybe Carbo can convice Arnott otherwise...

So to accomodate one or two of these UFA we need to make room...

Under what basis would we be inclined not to keep or re-hire someone whos is currently in our roster

Lets assume each an every player plays to their top potential and we get as far as Semi-final!

Who would you let go come summer time!

and can someone explain if in case of Ribs for example (or any other restricted Free agent) ....If we dont renew his contract he's free to go right? or do the Habs get something if a team picks them up?

He was out for a long time rehabbing his back and then was injured again. The rumour that I heard was that he was going to retire. A healthy Daze sure, but that's almost as unrealistic as a healthy Lindros

If I were Gainey I'd take a look at Briere, Kubina, Redden, Samsonov, Carney, Savard, Mitchell and Jovanovski. McCauley could help if we replaced Sundstrom with him.

your pal bulis is a UFA....will he be in bob's plans for next year...I hope so

otherwise, I don't think BG will be too agressive this summer. huet will take a nice raise since he's gonna be UFA..so look at around 2.5 at least.

if he does anything, he'll go for depth players.

I'd love to see him sign and #1 D but that seems unlikely to happen