Game Thread | Carolina Vs. Montreal | 03/16/06

Spider-Man NL

Apparently Gainey is confident that the Habs can find some offense within the organization. (The same organization that hasn't been able to score all year.)

It doesn't help to mention it....but may I once again iterate that I wish Gainey had brought in a capable scoring forward this year.

Ditto that...

For the time being i think some line shuffling is needed, we can hold the status quo until it's too late.

Once again I will also plead for the trading of Ryder in teh offseason while he still has value.

And Finally I would hope that we can bring in some proven scorers in the offseason whether by trade or UFA or both.

Let's show some hunger and win some games.....Pretty Please

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aebischer gets the third star for tonight game and allowed 5 goals. Did someone wanted to give him a good start despite the 5 goals or was he that good?

No more games versus the canes. Are they really that great or is it about chemistry? If you break down the Canes team the Habs could easily match them in talent. Difference is: They play like a team.

The team as a whole didn't play well tonight.

But two players really stood out, yet again, for being completely useless: Koivu and Ryder.

They should both be watching the game against the Pens from the press box as healthy scratches. Both of them need a wake-up-call.

Hm. we REALLY could've used the 2 points tonight, at least 1 point..

Well, Abby played well. The score does not show how well he played at all.

This game would've been alot closer, but that controversial goal really cost us.

And about Koivu - The guy is my childhood hero, my favorite player! I am always sticking up for him...But I am afraid some of the posters on here are right. The Vu is having some problems, he played poorly tonight. He should've at least had 1 goal when he recieved a beauty pass from Higs, had the open side of the net but let the puck roll of his stick. I hope he finds himself...and FAST because the way he is playing, wont lead us into the playoffs.

The good news: Thats the last game we play versus Carolina this season. They sweep the season series and end up outscoring us something like 25-9 over those 4 games. Ouch

The bad news: We might end up playing Carolina in the playoffs....

The worse news: ... if we even make the playoffs

Another shit game for Koivu, I hate to single him out (since the whole team was pretty much crap tonight, aside from the goalie) but he is the captain for the reason, he's supposed to be the leader, but how many straight bad games has Koivu played now? I lost track counting. Its unacceptable.

What are you talking about? Aebischer was fantastic tonight. He had no chance on basically any of the goals, in fact he held us in the game up until the 3rd period when the habs completely fell apart and started taking dumb penalties.

Actually, I thought the habs really started out well.....They kept up with the Hurricanes untill the middle of the 2nd period ,it's not like we were playing st.louis. Ya, your right....the leaders of this team should have got it going, but guess what. We just played a team that is a lot better then us.

Because of BG and his coaching and inspiration .....we put up a decent try. Good things to come. Other then that, it's plain and simple......we are not as good as them.....Our guys tried but they're not as good as their guys, by any means.

I think we can take any team in the play-offs, but not the Hurricanes.....They are going to win the cup.

With all that said, If we meet them in the 1st round I hope our guys show up and at least make it interesting. I want them to win more then you do, Puck.

On the Abby, Theo remark, it was light hearted but some what truthfull. It just felt like the old days......brilliant saves to keep the team in the game, then blows it and we blame the team.. Theo all over again.

You can say what you want, and yes I saw the amazing saves, but I also saw the shifty, insecure, way too excited side aswell....which reminded me of Theo....that's all.....

Re-bounds?

Seeing Abby tonight, made me realize how much control and calmness Huet has.......

Abby is great, but I don't think for a second he made Bob Gainey a believer tonight...hopefull but not a believer.

Kovalev was hot.......he's some what of a leader......I didn't see Bulis, Higgins, Ribs, Souray,Rivet, Ryder pick it up...........

Give credit where credit is due.....to the Hurricanes....They made us look bad.

Edited by HABBER-oooooKNOWS

I want them to win more then you do, Puck.

Whats that supposed to mean? Its not a competition? :P

Seeing Abby tonight, made me realize how much control and calmness Huet has.......

Actually I thought he was pretty calm, he just needs to work on some things with Melanson. Aebischer has been known to make alot of spectacular saves, but many have been because he was out of position in the first place. He's a good goalie, with lots of skill, hopefully Melanson can help him.

I think it's safe to say that Huet will get the start Saturday night and He should and will be the goalie that leads us to the playoffs.

I think you are probably right, but Abby played a very solid game tonight. He was abandoned. I am very excited with our 1-2 punch we have goin right now!

It is very serious when the man with th "C" on his jersey doesn't lead the way. It's terrible when he's one that doesn't even try.

What's wrong with Koivu? Or is this the player he always was? (He couldn't prove it earlier as he was always injuried or ill)

Well it was a rough loss tonight.

The habs played well Aebi was run over for that first Canes goal.

IMO that goal should not have counted but I am of course Bias and was 200 feet away from it when it happened.

After that the air seemed to have left the Canadiens sails.

Markov need's to come back injured or not he is way to valuable to this team. Hopefully he can be 70%-80% for Saturday and the Canadiens can put together a winning streak

All 10 of the Canadiens next 10 games are against teams below them in the standings. If the Habs can pick up 16-20 of those points Markov can take a rest during the April games.

Atlanta is red hot and I believe they will make the playoffs.

Burke broke his finger for Tampa and that should cause the Bolts to falter.

Bright side: Now we know,

We really don't want to play

Canes in the first round.

Or Ottawa, Buffalo or Tampa for that matter cause we can't beat them either

Apparently Gainey is confident that the Habs can find some offense within the organization. (The same organization that hasn't been able to score all year.)

OR the last decade really.....

Aebischer gets the third star for tonight game and allowed 5 goals. Did someone wanted to give him a good start despite the 5 goals or was he that good?

No more games versus the canes. Are they really that great or is it about chemistry? If you break down the Canes team the Habs could easily match them in talent. Difference is: They play like a team.

I don't think Montreal has anybody that comes close in Talent to Eric Staal. Can't even touch him

Koivu was our worst player tonight. There were strong efforts from the bottom lines (Bonk included and especially Plekanec), Higgins and Kovalev. Ribeiro played well too as did Bouillon as usual. Streit was good but no Markov. Ryder had a lot of chances but made a lot of mistakes too. Dandy broke up a 2-on-1 and scored his 50th career goal. Aebischer was alright despite a couple of so-so goals. On most of them the team hung him out to dry though. The game was closer than the score but we still fell apart in the third period and it all started from bad discipline. If we can play 60 minutes like we played in the first period of this game than we would be a contender. But we only played 1 or 2 60 minute games all season.

Or Ottawa, Buffalo or Tampa for that matter cause we can't beat them either

OR the last decade really.....

I don't think Montreal has anybody that comes close in Talent to Eric Staal. Can't even touch him

We can definitely take Ottawa, Buffalo and Tampa. If you look at the season series we've done well against those 3 teams. And Tampa? Tampa is only a so-so team who will miss the playoffs.

Well, Kovalev and maybe even Ribeiro has more talent than Staal but Staal is definitely a much better player than both of those guys (especially Ribs). The Canes (like the Sabres) aren't that great on paper. It's their chemistry. The D jumps in, they're always moving around and they just make great, control passes. The fact is that when you count prospects and current talent together - the Canes are loaded. Johnson, Ladd, Ward and Babchuk are coming.

We can definitely take Ottawa, Buffalo and Tampa. If you look at the season series we've done well against those 3 teams. And Tampa? Tampa is only a so-so team who will miss the playoffs.

Well, Kovalev and maybe even Ribeiro has more talent than Staal but Staal is definitely a much better player than both of those guys (especially Ribs). The Canes (like the Sabres) aren't that great on paper. It's their chemistry. The D jumps in, they're always moving around and they just make great, control passes. The fact is that when you count prospects and current talent together - the Canes are loaded. Johnson, Ladd, Ward and Babchuk are coming.

You can't take those teams when your only scoring a goal a game. Ottawa would destroy Montreal in a playoff series, especially now with Arnason centering a deadly secondly line, that doesn't even include Havlat yet, and watch out when Hasek comes back. Montreal would be luck to score 4 goals in the series, which would be over in 4 games.

Buffalo has been great all year and 2 of the Habs wins came while Buffalo was struggling early on this season, and both were close games. The only hope is that Buffalo usually tanks in the playoffs, and quite often against Montreal.

Tampa doesn't really matter becasue they'll most likely play either Ottaw or Carolina as well and be tossed in the first round.

And if you think Kovalev and Ribeiro have more talent than Staal, your nuts. Kovalev may come close, but Ribeiro is a puke.

And just a bit of info for you, Montreal isn't that great on paper either....

Ok well first of all Stall drives the net with the puck, hence he scores truckloads of goals. There are few players with his talent level that do this Rick Nash, Alexander Ovechkin (but he is a different breed) Brendan Shanahan, Montreal does not have a talented player with size that will drive the net and score the garbage goals as well as the pretty ones.

The Sens for some reason do not really scare me for the playoffs; hopefully I will not have to eat my words if the Habs play them. I believe that they will for some reason choke, and I do not believe Hasek will be 100% ready come playoff time. The Habs have been in close games with the Sabres while they have been hot as well the season series is 3-3 and every game but one was a one goal game. That said the Sabres do scare me because they have lost only once in regulation in they’re past 18 games I believe.

And Bulis you must be kidding me, Ribero more talent then Stall that is hilarious, sure he Ribs has pretty great vision but over all talent not even the same ball park.

It's not going to matter how they match up with other playoff teams if the habs don't make the playoffs. They 4 games with Pitt and Wash and they haven't beaten them once this year. The Koivu line needs to give there heads a shake. A nice minus 6 last night. Combined with Rivet and Souray who were abused all night. Things aren't looking too good. The habs will need 12 out of the next 16 points and hope Tampa or Atlanta slows down. The offense 5 on 5 has been poor all year, that needs to change immediately.

What about that first goal, Aebi got hit by Williams and Whitney scores in the rebound. Can someone tell me why that goal counted, he got hit inside the (interference) blue area.

I'm Confused...

PS on that 3rd goal the defence sucks big time. My god does Aebi get any support?

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan