Are They Ever Going To Retire Roy's Number?

they need to deal with the robinson retirement before Roy's

maybe they'll wait 2009 before doing so

Regardless of Roy's contributions there are still some players that have to come before his turn will, if it ever does......

Whether we liked the Houle era or not, Roy's selfish display will not quickly be forgotten by management.

His behaviour and protocol regarding the legends of this franchise will determine the time that he sees his jersey hanging from the rafters. It took roughly 3 decades and more to see Dickie Moore, Bernie Geoffrion and Yvon Cournoyer honoured - and Patrick will have to wait a while too!

Robinson should be next.......

they need to deal with the robinson retirement before Roy's

maybe they'll wait 2009 before doing so

Earlier in the season, the Habs announced that they will be retiring numbers every year until 2009, the year of their 100th anniversary. The Habs are not saying who will be retired, but rumors are that Robinson should be in 2008 and Roy in 2009.

As for him showing up or not, I'm 100% sure that he will show up. Thinking otherwise is pure non-sense.

I guess if they do they will wait for Colorado to retire his first.

I think they should retire his number. eventually. He was our big star for 8 years. I still blame Mario for his departure! I think he would show up at the retirement ceremony, he has said he never regreted a moment he played with us. I wish that January game against the wings in '95 never happened but alas....

Lets not forget #29 (the Right Honorable Ken Dryden). He was a rock between the pipes in the 70's and his credentials speak for themselves:

Year Team GP Min W L GA GAA Shots Sv% ShO

70-71 Montreal Voyageurs AHL 33 1899 16 7 8 84 2.68 3

Montreal Canadiens NHL 6 327 6 0 0 9 1.65 0

71-72 Montreal Canadiens NHL 64 3800 39 8 15 142 2.24 8

72-73 Canada SUMMIT SERIES 4 240 2 2 0 19 4.75 0

Montreal Canadiens NHL 54 3165 33 7 13 119 2.26 6

74-75 Montreal Canadiens NHL 56 3320 30 9 16 149 2.69 4

75-76 Montreal Canadiens NHL 62 3580 42 10 8 121 2.03 8

76-77 Montreal Canadiens NHL 56 3275 41 6 8 117 2.14 10

77-78 Montreal Canadiens NHL 52 3071 37 7 7 105 2.05 5

78-79 Montreal Canadiens NHL 47 2814 30 10 7 108 2.30 5

NHL All-Stars CHALLENGE CUP 2 120 1 1 0 7 3.50 0

EIGHT (8) NHL SEASONS 397 23352 258 57 74 870 2.24 46

70-71 Montreal Canadiens NHL 20 1221 12 8 61 3.00 0

71-72 Montreal Canadiens NHL 6 360 2 4 17 2.83 0

72-73 Montreal Canadiens NHL 17 1039 12 5 50 2.89 1

74-75 Montreal Canadiens NHL 11 688 6 5 29 2.53 2

75-76 Montreal Canadiens NHL 13 780 12 1 25 1.92 1

76-77 Montreal Canadiens NHL 14 849 12 2 22 1.55 4

77-78 Montreal Canadiens NHL 15 919 12 3 29 1.89 2

78-79 Montreal Canadiens NHL 16 990 12 4 41 2.48 0

EIGHT (8) NHL POSTSEASONS 112 6846 80 32 274 2.40 10

Lets not forget #29 (the Right Honorable Ken Dryden). He was a rock between the pipes in the 70's and his credentials speak for themselves:

Maybe the Canadiens will retire Dryden's number the same day he bget sworn in as Prime Minister of Canada :P

All kiding aside, Dryden only played 7 full seasons with the Montreal Canadiens; as great as he was during those few seasons, I don't think it classifies as "retired number" material. However, if Pat Lafontaine derseved to see his number retired in Buffalo (which was ridiculous in my opinion), then Dryden sure does as well.

Even for Patrick Roy. What did he do for the Canadiens organization that was so great that nobody ever derserves to wear "his" number 33? He was a great goalie, there's no dount about that, but did he imprint himself into the image of the Canadiens to the point where he comes to your mind every time you think of this team? To me, Guy Lafleur does, even though I really only remember him play briefly for the Nordiques at the end of his career. The Rocket Richard does, even though I never saw him play. But Roy? To me, he was just a great goalie, arguably the best back then (although Belfour was doing just as well, if not better with Chicago), but nothing more.

The Avs are so excited to retire numbers, Karlis Skrastins will be up there the day after he retires. :wacko:

Roy #33 and Bourque #77 are the only two numbers in the rafters. One of the best defensemen ever and THE best goaltender ever warrant number retirements. Jari Kurri and Dale Hunter both retired as Avs and nobody so much as thought to retire 17 or 32 (And those numbers shouldn't be retired). 19 will be retired when Sakic retires, but I doubt Forsberg's 21 or Foote's 52 will get much consideration. The next guy who MIGHT warrant consideration would be Hejduk or Tanguay if they play 7-12 more seasons at a very high level of excellence. Blake will be debated if he plays for a few more years with the footprint on his shoulder as well as he has this season. He would need another cup to really add him to the list of "maybe" number retirements.

Roy #33 and Bourque #77 are the only two numbers in the rafters. One of the best defensemen ever and THE best goaltender ever warrant number retirements. Jari Kurri and Dale Hunter both retired as Avs and nobody so much as thought to retire 17 or 32 (And those numbers shouldn't be retired). 19 will be retired when Sakic retires, but I doubt Forsberg's 21 or Foote's 52 will get much consideration. The next guy who MIGHT warrant consideration would be Hejduk or Tanguay if they play 7-12 more seasons at a very high level of excellence. Blake will be debated if he plays for a few more years with the footprint on his shoulder as well as he has this season. He would need another cup to really add him to the list of "maybe" number retirements.

The only guy that deserves to see his number retired in Colorado is Joe Sakic. He's had a truly great and very long career with the Nordiques/Avalanche, and has been the face of those organizations for a very long time. It will be a great honor for a remarkable player.

Bourque and Roy haven't played nearly long enough in Colorado to deserve this, while Hejduk and Tanguay aren't nearly good enough.

Bourque and Roy haven't played nearly long enough in Colorado to deserve this...

And this was exactly my point. What the Avs did with those two guys would be the equivalent of Montreal retiring Denis Savard's number.

Yes but the best defenceman ever was Harvey, his number is retired, and the best ever goalie, Plante was also retired. I know you maybe too young to remember, but the guys you mentioned were arguably the best of the 80's, not the best ever. Give this guy a few years and he will want Theos number in the rafters. Geese..

As for Roys number in Montreal I still say give it 10 years or so, when he is old and grey, maybe...

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Maybe I'm too young to have SEEN Sawchuk, Plante, Hall etc... in person, but I'm very aware of hockey history. I said Bourque was AMONG the best and Roy was the best. (Read carefully if you're going to be sarcastic) There's no argument that if you gathered the best 10 defensemen in hockey history, Bourque, Robinson, Orr, Harvey, and Shore would all be there. (What a surprise you think the two best of all time are habs.... can you say bias?) Roy won the most of any of them. Wins are what matters for goalies. This is why Dominik "Who knows how many Vezinas and Harts" Hasek isn't in the discussion. Roy was better than Plante.

If playing time with the team and contributions to the team are the only considerations, then retiring Gretzky's #99 in the entire NHL makes no sense at all. I think being the best gets your number retired with a tram you only played with for a little while (this applies to Roy for sure). Being an integral part of a cup winning team contributes to the decision as well. Different teams also have different approaches to number retirement. It even varies from sport to sport.

P.S. - I wouldn't complain if they took Bourque's #77 out of the rafters in Denver, that one seems odd to me. Sakic's 19 and Roy's 33 would look nice as the only two numbers up there for a while.

Edited by Mils

Colorado not being able to retire Roy's number is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Bourque, I thought, was silly but Roy? Give me a break. Colorado has just as much right to retire his number as the Habs.

And yes johnny, he IS one of the best ever. Stop being bitter about his departure.

And Mils, I can't see how Footer wouldn't get consideration. Foppa might not but Foote was the rock of our teams defense for 10 years. I think we'll eventually see #52 in the rafters.

Colorado not being able to retire Roy's number is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Bourque, I thought, was silly but Roy? Give me a break. Colorado has just as much right to retire his number as the Habs.

And yes johnny, he IS one of the best ever. Stop being bitter about his departure.

And Mils, I can't see how Footer wouldn't get consideration. Foppa might not but Foote was the rock of our teams defense for 10 years. I think we'll eventually see #52 in the rafters.

I haven't lost my mind..... this is encouraging. :D

Wins are what matters for goalies. This is why Dominik "Who knows how many Vezinas and Harts" Hasek isn't in the discussion. Roy was better than Plante.

That I disagree with. Dominik Hasek is simply the most dominating goaltender in NHL history. He's madfe bad teams look good, good teams look great, and great teams look nearly flawless (Stanley Cup in Detroit, and a near perfect record with Ottawa). However, Hasek didn't have a very long career, therefore I would agree that career-wise, he might never get the same level of recognition that Roy will.

No matter how great Patrick Roy was, I don't think he deserved to see his number retired in Colorado, and perhaps not even in Montreal. However, that's according to my very high standards, and based on the players who have seen their number retired recently, he will get the same honor sometime before 2010.

I'm sorry, but if Adam Foote sees his number retired, it will be just plain ridiculous, and probably disrespectful to some of the great players who have seen their number retired, and to some of the other great players throughout history to never get that recognition. Foote was a very good and very reliable defenseman, but never retired-number material... I mean who's next after that? Craig Rivet?

Reply to Mils

Sorry but by your wins only matters it proves Plante was the better of the 2. More names on cup, 5 in a row..... No further discussion needed. I admit Bourque was way up there and his number should hang in Boston where he played most of his games. You don't see Guy's number in MSG.

Harvey though, in all my years watching hockey, could control a games pace like no other defenceman. Looked lazy at it sometimes but then would pick it up and leave the other team sleeping. Real artist.

As for my point on waiting until Roy is older, there will be no posssible objection to it then by the media so it would be a nicer ceremony all around. he desearves it, but he ain't dropping dead yet.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen