It Took Me A While To Figure The Sens Out But...

Don Cherry always said they lacked toughness. That's not the case anymore. So, what is really wrong in Ottawa?

Is it Bryan Murray?

IMO: No way. Other coaches might have done a better job, but with that lineup? Does it really matter?

Not Murray's problem!

Is it Ray Emery?

No way. As questionable as Emery might have been, where was his goal support from the offensive Sens nightmare? Period, IMO!

Ottawa's regular season west road swing was a joke. They weren't able to win their way out of a paper bag. It's true that may teams in the east had a rotton west trip, but for "the ordained Stanley cup winning Sens" it was a clear sign of failure IMO. To win the cup, you have to beat the opposing conference. And, Ottawa was totally healthy at the time!

And there is what STINKS: "the ordained Stanley cup winning Sens". Couldn't the players see past that?

Many of the Ottawa players in pregame, postgame and locker room interviews seemed to be way too overconfident . You can't really blame them. After all. They were "the ordained Stanley cup winning Sens".

Never take the cup for granted - NEVER!

No humility. That's the story.

It seems to me that Buffalo aren't taking the cup for granted.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Hasek is problem #1, nothing to do with his work between the pipes but the effect he has mentally on the team is devastating - ask Detroit.

Crusty the clown is problem #2 - the guy talks as if he is the greatest player of all time. That attitude rubs off on everyone else and now the team thinks they are better than everyone else.

Thanks Buffalo

Taking the cup for granted.

Thats something Flames fans need to learn. I'm glad Anaheim took them out.

Interesting comment......

I love the city of Calgary - but it's almost as if their fans have become the western version of the much hated legions of Leaf Nation?

Hate to have to say it, but that loss looked good on them!

p.s. as for Ottawa - they seem to lack a killer instinct at crucial times?

Edited by beliveau1

The Senators are a great team, but you must give credit to Buffalo. The Sabres are doing exactly what I was hoping Montreal would do, which is to play 4 well balanced offensive lines. Of course the Briere line gets more ice-time, but their 3rd and 4th lines can also hurt anytime; you don't ever really get a break agaisnt this team. Maybe we should spend more time giving credit to Buffalo, and less trying to figure out what's wrong with Ottawa.

Besides, the series could very well be in favor of the Senators. Buffalo scored a dramatic goal in the last moments of the first game to force overtime, Miller was dominant in the second, and last night the game enededo once again in overtime.

Crusty the clown is problem #2 - the guy talks as if he is the greatest player of all time. That attitude rubs off on everyone else and now the team thinks they are better than everyone else.

Who?

Interesting comment......

I love the city of Calgary - but it's almost as if their fans have become the western version of the much hated legions of Leaf Nation?

Hate to have to say it, but that loss looked good on them!

p.s. as for Ottawa - they seem to lack a killer instinct at crucial times?

Haha, especially since I'm born and raised in Calgary, eh? Yeah, their fans annoy me, especially living here. You have to deal with the 04 Bandwagon fans on a day to day basis. The regular season isn't too bad but going anywhere in April sucks.

Who?

Daniel Alfredsson.

Actually, I would say Alfredsson is a big reason why the Sens are falling. He's a great player, but a choker. As captain, he shuld be leading his team but he has trouble in the playoffs. The only goal I remember him scoring of these playoffs is an empty-netter vs Tampa Bay. If you take away Alfy and Hasek, then Ottawa becomes a much more beatable team.

by the way - I detest the Flames and all their stupid fans. @kerplunk: you suck.

Alfie is definitely a choker come playoff time.

Something like 2 goals in 21 playoff games... and one was the before mentioned empty-netter.

:hlogo:

no way!! we'll trade aebischer to toronto for

rheir 1st round pick this years with stajan and wellwood

JF jr the next milburry !?

no way!! we'll trade aebischer to toronto for

rheir 1st round pick this years with stajan and wellwood

JF jr the next milburry !?

wouldn't that be interesting.... technicolour dreaming but interesting...

as to ottawa's problems, it seems to be that they've consistently run up against hot goalies and/or had a goalie who didn't quite get it done. in their 'weak' strong years, the hot goalie was supplemented by players who pushed them around.

in their 'strong' strong years, it was always a goalie that seemed to kill them. belfour in toronto stood on his head, brodeur did the same, now it's that sabres upstart, miller - he ken drydened philadelphia and ottawa and will likely do the same to carolina and the team in the finals.

changing some of the players may help - likely will so as to 'renew the vision' like the oilers used to do in the 80's (also to maybe clean up some inner conflicts).

bottom line, it's not that the team hasn't got the players to do it nor is it the lack of heart, it's a combination of things, most not in their control that 'conspired' to stop them each year.

:king: :hockey: :king:

wouldn't that be interesting.... technicolour dreaming but interesting...

as to ottawa's problems, it seems to be that they've consistently run up against hot goalies and/or had a goalie who didn't quite get it done. in their 'weak' strong years, the hot goalie was supplemented by players who pushed them around.

in their 'strong' strong years, it was always a goalie that seemed to kill them. belfour in toronto stood on his head, brodeur did the same, now it's that sabres upstart, miller - he ken drydened philadelphia and ottawa and will likely do the same to carolina and the team in the finals.

changing some of the players may help - likely will so as to 'renew the vision' like the oilers used to do in the 80's (also to maybe clean up some inner conflicts).

bottom line, it's not that the team hasn't got the players to do it nor is it the lack of heart, it's a combination of things, most not in their control that 'conspired' to stop them each year.

I don't know if Miller will do it to the Hurricanes, Ward has the exact same thing going on and is, in my opinion, a better goalie. Should be an interesting series though, no clear-cut winner at all.

I don't know if Miller will do it to the Hurricanes, Ward has the exact same thing going on and is, in my opinion, a better goalie. Should be an interesting series though, no clear-cut winner at all.

it's possible that you're correct, of course, but now that my 1st two cup-winner picks are out (Canadiens, :puke: Senators :( )...

GO Oilers, GO!!! :)

Edited by shortcat1

Haha, especially since I'm born and raised in Calgary, eh? Yeah, their fans annoy me, especially living here. You have to deal with the 04 Bandwagon fans on a day to day basis. The regular season isn't too bad but going anywhere in April sucks.

Ya but the rest of us have have to put up with you. Your honestly the only Liberal in calgary that I know of. Honestly what do you expect when you walk around with an avs jersey on.. you dont want fish sauce poured on you like that oilers fan do you?

Your honestly the only Liberal in calgary that I know of. Honestly what do you expect when you walk around with an avs jersey on.

Eh? What's the link in beetween being a liberal and a Colorado fan?

I think he means I'm a crappy Calgarian or something.

Exactly, your like a leafs fan on the red mile.

Guys don't mix politics in this. Last thing we need is another damn political debate here.

Ottawa is missing character players. The team has too much finesse and not alot of character. Are Vermette, Alfredsson, Heatley, Spezza, Redden, Chara, Meszaros and Havlat character guys? No, they're all players with finesse. Neil and Smolinski are the only ones who might have some character. I might add Emery in there and Phillips too. They need guys who will play 110% on every shift and not crack under pressure.

Alfredsson is a skilled guy who I think is a good leader but that seems to be the only guy who might provide some leadership in the locker room. They do have a skilled team but maybe they need more of a team spirit atmosphere in the locker room since that's what they seemed to lack.

Losing the opener against Buffalo obviously shook they confidence and it went all down hill from there. Don't forget, the Sens flat out dominated the Sabres in regular season and this was one loss that not only set the tone for the series but it was something Ottawa obviously never recovered from.

We're not mixing in politics, kerp was just pointing out how unwelcome I am in my birth city. I have no firm political base anyway, I move around to whoever has the best leader (in my opinion, of course).

I appreciate the sentiments by the way. Always glad to know what a random stranger thinks of me. :)