Any Raptors Fans Out There?

The-Habby2919

The Raptors landed the first overall draftpick tonight and along with Colangelo's great management skills.... we should really see some improvement in the team this summer!!

Being a Raptors fan I cant wait!!!

:D :hlogo:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

winning the lottery only strengthens the organization! this is great news! i haven't been this happy about a draft lottery win since i won the Crosby lottery in HWL!

The Raptors landed the first overall draftpick tonight and along with Colangelo's great management skills.... we should really see some improvement in the team this summer!!

Being a Raptors fan I cant wait!!!

:D :hlogo:

What's so good about Colangelo? I'm not being snotty here... I just don't know anything about this guy. Is he sort of like a basketball 'J P Ricciardi'?

Also, I've seen many 1st overalls go sour. Let's just hope that the kid picked will be a valuable impact player - even if not immediately.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Adam Morrison. The man is crazy. He'd be a good fit in Toronto.

I have to disagree.

First of all, you use the #1 pick for a guy who will step into the starting lineup right away and be a franchise player. For this reason alone, he is not a good fit. The Raps already have their frontline of the future with Bosh and Villanueva. I think the only way they would draft Morrison is if they want to change him to SF.

Second, he is overrated. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but he gets too much hype. Everyone compares him to Larry Bird. The only similarity is that they are tall white guys who can shoot. Morrison is not a great passer and is not a good rebounder. He is a pure scorer, not too much else.

Given that he is more of a gunner than a good passer and rebounder, perhaps a switch to the SF would be a good move for him. He wouldn't be counted on to rebound as much, but could provide another post presence when needed and could stretch the D some.

You can teach defense to somebody. Morrison is the next coming of Dirk Nowitzki. And Dallas taught him how to defend. I know Toronto has a billion big men but come on you can't pass this guy up. The Raptors need some attitude.

He'd also be good for the community and he's a lefty politically so he'd be a supporter of the NDP. Right wingers in this country have called him a communist.

That probly doesn't matter but Canada and Toronto would be a good fit for him. No he's no Jordan but the man has skills. He'd be a SF or SG.

Edited by Pierre the Great

I'm with Fanpuck, Morrison wouldn't be a good fit at all. Like he said, we've got Bosh and Villaneuva already. The last thing the Raptors need is a guy who can't play defense. If the Raptors are going to use the #1 pick, I say they take Lamarcus Aldridge or maybe Tyrun Thomas. An outside shot with Bargnani, maybe convert him to C since he's friggin huge.

Ideally though, and I think it was berge who said this, the pick for the 16th pick and Duhon or Hinrich. That'd be the best for the Raps.

Aldridge and Thomas are PF's Raptors already have that position filled. They are too small to be Centers. Morrison could be converted to SG.

If you want to go the center route Bargnani is fine but ESPN said his similair to Dirk Nowitzki.

Then if you want a PG you might want to go with Brandon Roy. He's really really good.

So I wouldn't be suprised if it came down to:

Roy

Bargnani

Morrison

Aldridge also played C for Texas and everyone is expecting him to convert to C. He'd work out just fine as the Raptors C. How is 6'11" too small for a C anyway?

Already have Joey Graham for SG and hopefully can keep Mike James for PG. Aldridge or Bargnani would make me happy with the #1 pick.

I'm actually interested to see where Redick goes.

Aldridge also played C for Texas and everyone is expecting him to convert to C. He'd work out just fine as the Raptors C. How is 6'11" too small for a C anyway?

Already have Joey Graham for SG and hopefully can keep Mike James for PG. Aldridge or Bargnani would make me happy with the #1 pick.

I'm actually interested to see where Redick goes.

I'm hope they look at Aldridge also.

There is just noone that can stand toe to toe with Shaq and everyone that want Magloire has to realize he wants around $10mill per year as a free agent Centre in 2007. It would be nice to have a big front court and Aldridge fits the bill. (Anything is better than Woods and Hoffa)

Personally, I'd like to see them trade down as well, to between 3-5, still get one of the better guys, and get a more proven player as well. Getting a PG (Duhon or Knight seem to be logical names) should be a priority if they go that way, then there's less of a rush to bring Ukic over, especially since he's a year away from having a contract opt-out.

No real need for Morrison, Villaneuva currently holds down the 3-spot, and Graham's plenty capable of playing that role as well.

I'm not sold Bargnani can play the 5, all the clips I've seen of him show him as a perimeter oriented player, which immediately makes him a prime choice based on the current team the Raptors have.

Aldridge...if I had to pick now, I'd take him, as his game is more suited to the North American game in the middle. If he were to bulk up to around 250, he could handle it I think.

Huge wildcard here is Tiago Splitter, if he enters this year, there's a real chance he could go #1, a true C.

I don't know much about nba bball and don't follow it that very much but, for the sake of this topic, I read a bunch of mock drafts via google and, as far as I can see, the best bet player (according to those 'experts') is LaMarcus Aldridge.

With comments like the following, how can one choose otherwise?

Scouting Report : Classic modern age NBA post player – long, athletic and versatile. Can score, rebound and block shots in the post.

Strengths : Very long body allows him to block/alter shots and grab plenty of boards. Very high release on his jumper allows him to get off shots in the post over large players. Can also step out and hit the mid-range jumper. Very smart player who knows how to use his body to get great post position and offensive rebounding position.

Weaknesses : Experience. Due to a hip injury only played 16 games his freshman year. Still needs to get stronger physically to dominate in the NBA.

Projected 2006 Draft Range : Top 5.

Consensus : Should be a dynamite NBA player. Being compared to Chris Bosh, but Aldridge is a lot bigger and stronger than Bosh was coming out of college. Should have a long NBA career due to his versatility, length and smarts on the court.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/Draft/2006/...cusaldridge.htm

I tend to go with the idea of taking the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE, no matter the situation.

Hey Jet... Im withya on the Pistons and Raps being the best. Anyway.. on Sportsnet News tonight they were talking about the Raps best choice would be to trade up to about 4 or 5, get a quality player from that trade and use the pick to take Bargnani which would be great, because I think most teams will leave him until then since he said that if an American team drafted him he would stay in Italy.

:hlogo:

Hey Jet... Im withya on the Pistons and Raps being the best. Anyway.. on Sportsnet News tonight they were talking about the Raps best choice would be to trade up to about 4 or 5, get a quality player from that trade and use the pick to take Bargnani which would be great, because I think most teams will leave him until then since he said that if an American team drafted him he would stay in Italy.

What would the Raptors get for such a trade down to fourth or fifth? Another draft choice? Another prospect? Future considerations? A first rounder next year or the year after? What....?

This is the most likely plan from the Raptors as they really need help at Centre and Point Guard. Jose played very well for his first year and Mike James is only mediocre as point guard. Mike would be a fabulous Shooting Guard but he considers himself to be a combo guard which is just not right.

Passing point guards are rare. Obtaining someone young who sort of has this ability is key. If trading down and obtaining Bargnani can be had than I believe the above scenario to be the most accurate.

Any of you Piston fans remember the Isiah years? My uncle is a huge Detroit fan and I used to watch Isiah and the bad boys play when I was much younger. Lots of respect for that franchise. Go Pistons and Suns!

If they need help on PG they need to draft Roy. The kid is awesome.

And anyway foxsports.com says the Raptors will draft Morrison but they also said Mike James wants to return to Houston. So the PG spot is open.

Here's what ESPN scouts say about Roy: (He's D. Wade to the T coming out of college)

A slasher ... Has a great feel for the game ... Can move opponents around in traffic with his lower body strength ... Finishes around the rim very well ... Understands how to collect shot opportunities from mid-range and below with his off the ball movement ... Is a fantastic ball-handler and passer ... Anticipates the game ... An impressive rebounder because of this, as well as his lower body strength ... Improve outside shooting is key ... Has trouble sticking jumpers from beyond 17 feet ... Will never become a star unless he develops a perimeter game that can keep a defense honest, but has star potential.

Here's what ESPN Scouts say about LaMarcus Aldridge

A long and skilled forward ... Possesses excellent touch, athleticism, coordination ... Has fundamentals that players his size normally lack, such as ball-handling ... Can face the basket and score from mid-range ... Able to score over the top of traffic, his length and maneuverability allow him to collect clean looks ... Impressive offensive rebounder, gets a lot of putbacks and tips ... Blocks shots ... Can defend all three positions on the frontline ... Entered the NBA Draft out of high school before withdrawing his name from consideration ... A high caliber recruit who was a McDonald's All-American and Second-Team Parade All-American ... One of 10 finalists for the Naismith Prep Basketball Player of the Year award ... Averaged 28.9 points and 13.4 rebounds per game as a senior in Dallas ... Led the city in scoring and rebounding ... Played for Team USA at the Junior World Championships in Douai, France ... As a sophomore, averaged 23 points and 13 rebounds in two head-to-head matchups with then Lincoln High senior Chris Bosh, now of the Toronto Raptors.

So I like Brandon Roy when I was in Seattle I watched some of the huskies ncaa games on tv. This kid is good.

Edited by Pierre the Great

Raptors are usually a surprise in their draftchoices. For example the selection of Villanueva last year was a suprise for most of tne analysts

I think Toronto is going to pick Andrea Bargnani and I think that is the right pick, Andrea has a terrible talent, believe me.

Raptors are usually a surprise in their draftchoices. For example the selection of Villanueva last year was a suprise for most of tne analysts

I think Toronto is going to pick Andrea Bargnani and I think that is the right pick, Andrea has a terrible talent, believe me.

You're looking at Babcock's picks though. It's not like Villanueva turned out to be bad choice anyway.

But now we've got Colangelo. :D

Chris Bosh said that the Raptors do not need another Big Scorer, they need a big Rebounder. He is right. Rebounding and a little scoring is good from the next big man. I think there is smoke screens all set up and the Raptors will trade down, just a feeling. It seems sensible if they can get another team into thinking their guy won't be there at their selection spot. Crafty man that new GM.

Chris Bosh said that the Raptors do not need another Big Scorer, they need a big Rebounder. He is right. Rebounding and a little scoring is good from the next big man. I think there is smoke screens all set up and the Raptors will trade down, just a feeling. It seems sensible if they can get another team into thinking their guy won't be there at their selection spot. Crafty man that new GM.

Hmmm.... I wonder who's in charge of the team here. Some young guy who may be good or the ones who are responsible for the total package of the team?

It'd be good to take Bosh's ideas in consideration but I don't believe that his ideas should be THE guidelines to follow.