Ryder Arbitration Hearing Set For July 25th

Habitforming

I'm gonna go out on a limb (not really) and say Ryder gets whatever he is asking for.

Back 2 back 30 goal seasons ( close enough anyway) for his first 2 years will be enough to give him some security in the NHL and a fat raise.

Edited by Habitforming

One year 2.5mil is my guess; any higher and he could be included in a trade offer out of town. I really don't want to see that happen, but if his demands are too high Gainey won't hesitate, shipping him out in a trade.

The really difficult part of this is that in the last couple of seasons he's been a consistant scorer. Even in his year in europe, he put up the numbers. I wonder if an arbitrator must consider or will consider his time spent in europe?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Gainey and Ryder find some middle ground and resolve this before the arbitration.

arbitrator can only order a 1 yr contract afaik.

if we don't offer ryder whatever the arbitrator orders, Ryder becomes UFA.

The only way to trade ryder after arbitration would be to give ryder the arbitration award first.

I'm gonna guess 2.75mil... who the hell knows.

arbitrator can only order a 1 yr contract afaik.

It can be a 1 year or 2 year contract and I think the salary does not have to be the same each year. No more than 2 years.

Well his chief comparative is making $1.9 million on the same team, so it should be between that and $2.5 million. He's only got two NHL seasons under his belt, so that could keep him from getting above $3 million, and he's not a point-a-game player, and probably never will be.

Hey where my post go?

anyways more explicitly I said if it goes ryder's way Which I doubt it will be between 5.5 and 6 for two years

if it goes half and hald its around 4 Mil which he will agree but probably ask for a trade

Hope not though that kid should be jumping on one leg if he gets 4 Mil for 2 years Higgins is gonna blast by him this year! and with Samsonov in Ryder has got competition

2.25M sounds fair. Remember that Luongo only got 3.2M (even after rejecting much higher offers).

My prediction: Ryder never makes it to arbitration. He signs a 2-year, $5 million contract.

I don'T think ryder wants a multi year contract...he would become a UFA at the end of next year

I can't help but feel that Ryder will leave the Habs as a UFA when his first opportunity to leave comes up. He was a contract hold out last fall, and now he's the only habs to go to arbitration, unless they settle sooner but I doubt that will happen. He seems to not want to play for Montreal as much as the rest of his teammates.

Does anyone every remember reading or hearing Ryder say he was happy to get a chance to play in Montreal, or enjoys playing here, like some athletes do? I hope I'm wrong, as I'd like to see Ryder settle in long-term in Montreal. If he could just improve on his defence a little, he's round out as a decent two-way player. At the moment, he's still pretty much one-dimensional.

I can't help but feel that Ryder will leave the Habs as a UFA when his first opportunity to leave comes up. He was a contract hold out last fall, and now he's the only habs to go to arbitration, unless they settle sooner but I doubt that will happen. He seems to not want to play for Montreal as much as the rest of his teammates.

Does anyone every remember reading or hearing Ryder say he was happy to get a chance to play in Montreal, or enjoys playing here, like some athletes do? I hope I'm wrong, as I'd like to see Ryder settle in long-term in Montreal. If he could just improve on his defence a little, he's round out as a decent two-way player. At the moment, he's still pretty much one-dimensional.

maybe he's tired of having people rag on him despite being our best goal scorer over the last two years. if ribs is worth 1.9 (cough), then gainey should give ryder 2.5-7 with a smile.

Nope, the only thing I've heard is that he was a Maple Leafs fan when growing up.

I don'T think ryder wants a multi year contract...he would become a UFA at the end of next year

Are you sure? He'll be 27 this time next year. The CBA gives UFA status according to the following provision:

"in 2007-08, a player age 28 with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons"

Next year, he'll have the 4 accrued seasons (since they credit the lockout year), but will fall short of the age limit (which drops to 27 for 2008-09). His time in the ECHL and AHL don't count towards the 7 years... Unless I understand this wrong, he's not unrestricted for another two seasons (including the upcoming one)...