Will Habs Make Playoffs

Naslund

Just reading a couple of blogs this morning, one by Leaf Lover Howard Berger (for all Habs fans NOT living in T.O., this guy is a Leaf idiot). He says that he expects Montreal to take a drop this year, and that the Leafs will catapult into the playoff picture.

Another blogger says that the Habs lack of offense will hurt them, and if Huet does not stand on his head, they will not be in the Top 8.

Reading this kind of stuff makes me wonder if my bias is at work, because I believe the team is on the right track. I don't consider them heavy contenders, not yet anyway, but they are definitely making the playoffs, how far they go, well, that's hard to judge in mid-July.

Anyone else get a read on this roster? I know, the season hasn't started yet, but give it a whirl. And try to put your Habs bias aside....

we had the #5 PP in the NHL and we got samsonov.

We had the #13 Ga/G in the NHL last year while running a broken theodore for ~ half the season. Now we have Huet and the Aebi insurance policy. We also have an older and wiser Komisarek and Markov. We have a better adjusted Souray.

We had the #20 G/g in the NHL last year. This is the real problem. We got samsonov which should help. Johnson > 2006 vintage Zednik. Not to mention that we have increased depth with Kost and Chip available. Zhog, Plek, and Higgins are all 1 yr older (and hopefully better). Hell, Streit might be getting used to small ice by now...

Buffalo's roster is in tatters.

Savard + Chara does not fix the Bruins.

TO still doesnt have a coherent roster and Raycroft lost the starter's job to Tim Thomas. What is more likely - that Ray was a flash in the pan or that he had an off year? I dunno... but it seems like a risky gamble. Peca had his worst offensive season last year and is only getting slower.

I see no reason to be pessimistic.

I believe we can be legitimate contenders this year if everything works out on paper. If Huet can play up to the standard that he did at the end of the season last year, we should be in great shape. That however is a big IF. He has yet to prove to me that he is a legitimate number 1 man, but if he is, our team is certainly better on paper than we were last year, and every year that goes by is another year that our young guys could have their breakout season.

We have been grooming a young team for the last 6-8 years and we are really starting to mature. I think we could most defintely surprise some teams this year. As for the leaf fan that thinks they are going to bump up the standing this year, I wouldn't put too much stock in that because they have been optimistic for the last 30 years without any satisfaction. Regarding that however, if Raycroft can return to form they may actually be a little scary this year, this is the first year in awhile (Potvin) that they are beginning the year with a potential all-star in nets. But if I was a Leaf fan I wouldn't hold my breath. Something is bound to go wrong....after all they are the Leafs.

Without a doubt. We are miles better than we were last year (even if it's in a subtle way). Leafs have had a good off-season but some of you are saying Habs are in trouble because Huet isn't proven and that the Leafs are scary because they Raycroft. Newsflash: they both only had 1 good year. They're pretty similar except that Huet's good year was last year and not 3 years ago. Raycroft is barely a legit starter, if that. He was a bad team's 3rd string goalie and he played behind a rookie and another one-year wonder (we'll see how Thomas does this season). The Leafs had a good offseason (aside for trading away their top prospect for a bum) bringing in Kubina and Peca (Gill's complete junk). They have an outside shot at the playoffs. They've improved from last season but not enough to match some other teams. I see them coming 8th seed at best but I don't see how they'll sneak by Atlanta.

As to us, I say we have a terrific team this year that can finish anywhere from 6th seed to division-winner, as Ottawa and Buffalo are both question marks. simonus pretty much gave the story why we're a way better team than last year. Only way I can possibly see us being in the race, or missing them is if Samsonov, Koivu et al get injured as usual. If Huet sucks, well then we have Aebischer who's a great goalie and we do just as well, if not better.

Higgins didn't do much the firts half of last year but in the 2nd half he scored a big portion of those 20-something goals. Now we have Second-Half Higgins for the entire season (and an even more confident one) so I think 30 goals isn't out of the question.

Plekanec is still a #2 center playing on the #3 line. Amazing player - if only he weren't trapped in a checking role.

Perezhogin has potential to do way better than he did last season. Same with Streit.

'Nough said.

Barring serious injuries to key players, I believe we have a playoff team. We're better than last year, and have the young guys coming up fighting for spots... that kind of competition can only make the team better as everyone will have to play their best, because if they don't, there will be another guy ready to take their spot.

Plus, who said Gainey was done? :D, It doesn't mean he'll make a move tomorrow, but he'll likely make one sometime, even if it's on deadline day, to better the club.

Habs bias aside....

Flashback to 2005-2006, Habs are 1st in the league (in november I think), BEST start since god knows when, Kovalev and Koivu are burning the league, Markov is the second coming of Bobby Orr (oops, I have to put my bias aside... hmmm. well Markov is playing really well then)

HABS ARE THE HOTEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE ?

NOPE

A Shabby goalie is making them look shaky, game in game out, he lets 3-4 goals in, he might have the occasional 1 or 2 goal game, but right next game, he lets 5-6 goals in.

Although the team is top of the league (we're still in November or so... so, after hmm... what? 20 games?) Theo ranks 30ish among the goalies, 20ish among the starters.

THEN...

BAM (the crest ads bam... not Jackass' bam)

Kovalev falls, Koivu falls, Markov is suspended, then falls.

Meanwhile and for the whole time (first half) Dandy is wondering where the heck Scotty Bowman is, can't seem to find his game under Julien. Bonk has a bad groin Injury. CJ insists on playing Zednik, Sundstrom, etc over Higgins and Plekanec. Before firing CJ, we sucked for a long stretch...

For the whole season, Zednik regrets not being allowed to hold and grab.

Bulis pretends he's a superstar LW (from his time in Czech spent with Hejduk...)

etc...

And with all these negative facts, we still got 93 pts

Now, if I was overly optimistic, I'd say that EVERYONE would be better, etc... That's not true however... but we know the following for sure:

-Carbo-Muller >>>>> Cj and the boring guys.

-Huet from the start of the season is an improvment over Theo (don't doubt my words, go check Theo's stats at the beginning of last season, although we were winning, he sucked terribly) even if he doesn't stand on his head... he just needs to be steady and tell the team how many they gotta score to win the game (my guess is 3.5 goals)

-Bonk CAN'T do worse (in fact, he showed how solid he could be in the last stretch)

-Dandy can't do worse

-Perez Can't do worse

-Higgins can only improve. he was given 4th line ice time in the first 40 games or so. same for plek. now with confirmed roster spot, they can only continue the good work.

-Samsonov, particularly in the new NHL is a TERRIFIC improvment over Zednik

-Johnson's willingness to play on a checking line is an improvment over Bulis (who wanted so much to play offense that he was forgetting to backcheck... the little strecth he played at enter was terrible +/- wise)

-It is also my opinion that Ribeiro can't do worse... in fact we kinda saw a new improved ribeiro under carbo... maybe it can only continue to improve under carbo... not sure though

-Ryder was badly injured and could do better.

-The 4th line is a real 4th line (albeit 3rd line?) and not constituted with rookies playing 4 minutes (garth murray and steve begin will kill penalties and can play around 8-10 mins 5 on 5, as opposed to that fake 4th line with plek, higgins and perez on it which CJ was using only not to sit the youngsters :puke: )

So IMO, 93 pts is the MINIMUM we can get. prove me wrong.

Newsflash: they both only had 1 good year. They're pretty similar except that Huet's good year was last year and not 3 years ago. Raycroft is barely a legit starter, if that. He was a bad team's 3rd string goalie and he played behind a rookie and another one-year wonder (we'll see how Thomas does this

This is a great point.

People who talk about the Habs as a team that somehow 'fluked' into the playoffs last year and then 'fluked' into nearly eliminating Carolina because of Huet's incredible play just don't know what they're talking about. Huet played very well indeed - something he's now done for one and a half seasons, BTW - but the Habs also LOST several points due to Theodore.

Anyway, the real issue is that the Habs have a roster of players unknown to fans in other cities, except for Souray, Koivu, Kovalev, and now Huet. And Samsonov. The don't know that Markov is a borderline all-star, for instance, or that Rivet and Bouillon are among the best 4th and 5th defencemen in hockey; they don't know how GOOD Koivu is, just that he had cancer; they don't grasp that the Habs have piles of young players that can kill you on any given night, etc..

Free agent signings in Montreal also don't seem to register outside Quebec. Kovalev ceased to be considered a *star* the minute he signed in Montreal, it seems to me. And now we have people blithely ignoring the addition of Samsonov. Imagine if he signed in Toronto - everyone and their dog would be talking about how much more dangerous he'd make the Leafs' attack.

A lot of it has to do with the Habs playing in a francophone market. If the very same roster were playing in Toronto, they'd be considered an EXCITING AND DANGEROUS UP AND COMING TEAM, practically national heroes. And nobody would be talking about them missing the playoffs.

Don't worry about it. We're not a LOCK to make the dance but we have a better chance than we did last year, which is good enough for me.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Flashback to 2005-2006, Habs are 1st in the league (in november I think), BEST start since god knows when, Kovalev and Koivu are burning the league, Markov is the second coming of Bobby Orr (oops, I have to put my bias aside... hmmm. well Markov is playing really well then)

HABS ARE THE HOTEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE ?

NOPE

A Shabby goalie is making them look shaky, game in game out, he lets 3-4 goals in, he might have the occasional 1 or 2 goal game, but right next game, he lets 5-6 goals in.

Although the team is top of the league (we're still in November or so... so, after hmm... what? 20 games?) Theo ranks 30ish among the goalies, 20ish among the starters.

THEN...

BAM (the crest ads bam... not Jackass' bam)

Kovalev falls, Koivu falls, Markov is suspended, then falls.

Meanwhile and for the whole time (first half) Dandy is wondering where the heck Scotty Bowman is, can't seem to find his game under Julien. Bonk has a bad groin Injury. CJ insists on playing Zednik, Sundstrom, etc over Higgins and Plekanec. Before firing CJ, we sucked for a long stretch...

For the whole season, Zednik regrets not being allowed to hold and grab.

Bulis pretends he's a superstar LW (from his time in Czech spent with Hejduk...)

etc...

And with all these negative facts, we still got 93 pts

Now, if I was overly optimistic, I'd say that EVERYONE would be better, etc... That's not true however... but we know the following for sure:

-Carbo-Muller >>>>> Cj and the boring guys.

-Huet from the start of the season is an improvment over Theo (don't doubt my words, go check Theo's stats at the beginning of last season, although we were winning, he sucked terribly) even if he doesn't stand on his head... he just needs to be steady and tell the team how many they gotta score to win the game (my guess is 3.5 goals)

-Bonk CAN'T do worse (in fact, he showed how solid he could be in the last stretch)

-Dandy can't do worse

-Perez Can't do worse

-Higgins can only improve. he was given 4th line ice time in the first 40 games or so. same for plek. now with confirmed roster spot, they can only continue the good work.

-Samsonov, particularly in the new NHL is a TERRIFIC improvment over Zednik

-Johnson's willingness to play on a checking line is an improvment over Bulis (who wanted so much to play offense that he was forgetting to backcheck... the little strecth he played at enter was terrible +/- wise)

-It is also my opinion that Ribeiro can't do worse... in fact we kinda saw a new improved ribeiro under carbo... maybe it can only continue to improve under carbo... not sure though

-The 4th line is a real 4th line (albeit 3rd line?) and not constituted with rookies playing 4 minutes (garth murray and steve begin will kill penalties and can play around 8-10 mins 5 on 5, as opposed to that fake 4th line with plek, higgins and perez on it which CJ was using only not to sit the youngsters :puke: )

So IMO, 93 pts is the MINIMUM we can get. prove me wrong.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :hlogo:

I couldn't have put it into better words then some of the posts in this thread.

I believe that within the habs division we are the only ones to improve without losing a major piece of the team. So I guess the Div title is not out of reach with the right bounces.

Either way, this team that will start the 06/07 season is much closer to the 25th Stanley Cup championship team then any in the previous 10 years or more.

-Dandy can't do worse

-Perez Can't do worse

- I agree 100%. I think Bonk will bounce back nicely now that he is so far removed from his hammy injury. Even when healtyh enough to play, those things tend to linger.

- I admit I didn't see him play in the regular season but 3 times, however, I loved what I saw from him in the playoffs. Maybe he turned up his play or maybe people expected too much out of a guy like him. I can't say either way.

- Trade him before his value dips more! I can't explain it, but I just have a feeling in my gut that says he's not gonna reach his potential.

- I'd love to agree, but we also have to live with the possibility that his 2nd half offensive production was simply him playing above himself and that it was a fluke. I am confident this is not the case, but I am prepared if it is.

-We can onyl hope.

- Ryder was injured?

Well Said Everyone!

I wouldn't put too much into that article; The weather in Toronto has been killer, I"m sure this is just a result of too much sun!

We will have a team to beat this year. Injuries can hurt any team; you just can't predict the fallout.

Nevertheless we have a brilliant coaching staff, wonderful competitive fan base. Gainey has numerous options to trade and bring in talent if we are hurt really bad. ie. maybe we find out in the new year that Koivu's eye injury has cause more damage than first assumed. (just a senario) Well, Gainey is not going to sit back and watch our dear habs play without a #1 center; he will pull a rabbit out of the hat and put us on firm ground.

All I'm adding to this discussion is that; of all the teams in our division or conference, we have the best options for trading or call ups from the minors. And there is no one better at the helm than Gainey to make brilliant moves.

In Bob we Trust! and everyone else will go bust!

- I agree 100%. I think Bonk will bounce back nicely now that he is so far removed from his hammy injury. Even when healtyh enough to play, those things tend to linger.

the worst injury he suffered his the bégin injury. when they're not playing together, bonk is a shadow of i'm self..I don't see him bounce back from anything. mind you he did show some brilliance on the 4th line. if he gives us a regular effort, i'll be more than happy.

now, I don't know where we'll end up in pur conference, but I think we'll finish 3rd or higher in our division. It could be something like:

-buffalo( still the most talented team in our division and they have the cap room to pay all those RFAs

-ottawa( although they're the team that have lost the most talent without adding some up)

-montreal( steady shes goe...this team as more and more the gainey look..will be competitive)

-toronto( they only have one legit scoring line..but defense and goaltending better)

-boston( not close enough but will give better resistance this time)

that being said, we'll make the playoffs but maybe not as easily as we would've liked.

- Trade [Perezhogin] before his value dips more! I can't explain it, but I just have a feeling in my gut that says he's not gonna reach his potential.

I gotta say I agree with you on this one. Something doesn't feel quite right about him. Although I would love to be wrong...

I love the HABS chances and believe they will be even better than just a " making the playoffs " team ... but they're are still some ifs ... will last years rookies get better ? with they suffer the shopmore jinx ? will Huet be the same as he was last season ? will any new rookies have any impact on the roster ? injuries ? etc ... we don't really know.

ah Fudge it ... Habs all the way ! :ghg:

Edited by CaliHabsFan

While I agree that are team finished very well last season after Bob and co. took over, and the off season moves improve the club on paper, there are critical issues that some people are ignoring.

1) Samsonov and Koivu are injury prone. We do not have the depth at centre to replace Koivu for an extended period of time. As well, if Samsanov gets injured, the team needs another one of their young guys to play and produce like a top six forward. This brings me to my next point.

2) Another critical factor in determining the team's succes will be the play of the sophmores. The Habs chance of repeating last year's performace hinges upon the ability of Higgins to produce similar stats, and Perezhogin and Plekanics continuing to improve while taking on more minutes. Furthermore, Komisarek played exceptional by the end of last season, and if he continues to learn and excel (which he looked like he was doing from one game to the next) the defence will be the second best in the division.

3) The most critical factor in determining this team's success will be the play of the other teams. If you take a quick look at last years standings and the acquisitions of each team this year, you will notice the following:

a) Seeds 1 and 2 both lost valuable pieces, but each made significant additions to stop the bleeding and still remain contenders.

B) Seeds 4 and 5 still have pretty much the same team, except have added more depth.

c) Like Montreal, seeds 6 and 8 have made moves that have upgraded their rosters, as well as their chances of moving up.

d) Seeds 10, 11 and 13 have also made significant acquisitions or moves (or non moves in TO's case). Boston and Florida now have a more balanced team with better offence and defence. Goaltending will be the question in those cities. With TO, the same goes as the defence is immensely better with loss of Belak and Berg and additions of Kubina and Gill (as well the offence improves with the addition through subtraction equation). Not to be forgotten is that the Leafs added an exceptional coach who should motivate their team. In other words, these teams will be harder to beat and rack up more wins.

e) Seeds 14 and 15 also upgraded their rosters and the develpoment of the two best young hockey players in the game will continue to soar.

The Islanders will continue to flounder with all thats going on there. And the Thrashers chances depends on the play of Lehtonen, considering their offence will decline somewhat with the loss of Savard. It is still too early to comment on New Jersey, as their roster seems to be waiting a major move with the salary cap constraints they face.

With all that being said, the Habs have a better team, but so do most of the teams in the Eastern conference. Therefore, their fate will lie in the performace of the youngsters. I think this year will demonstrate the new parity in the NHL, and making the playoffs will be a difficult task for any team in the league.

Howard Berger had predicted last year that TO could never made the play-offs with the roster they had then......so he might be right again this year in proposing that the Leafs will make it this time around.

Let's not forget that they where only 2 or 3 points short of making it........his prediction is highly probable.

But what about us ?

Well we made it last year but more important is how our team locked-in during the post-olympique stretch and the play-offs......they simply where one of the better team out there.

That late but substantial 05-06 season stretch showned a marketly improved team over what they where during the earliest part of that season............those improvements turned out to be in large part the result of the CH switching-over to Huet and the new chimistry obtain from the Koivu line..........two elements that

where absents at the start of our season last year......but two elements that we can now count on being with us right from the start in this upcoming season.

As BtheHabbys said, subtil improvements where made in this off-season and I believe that it's all that was required for our team to be able to securely move further up in the standing.

Our excellent PP efficiency of last year ( thanks to Kovalev ) will be secured even further with the addition of Samsonov to our PP specialists..........a crucial element in my book.

Johnson will increase the scoring depth of our team while giving some more of the speed that Carbo is counting on to institute an overall team approach or style based on it.

Candidates for individual improvements within our club are also manys,...Komisarek, Plekanec, Perezhogin,

Higgins are the obvious but not the only ones.......Ribeiro, Ryder, Bouillon among others could still surprised

us with substantiel leaps over what we saw from them.

I am confortable with that team......more so than I have been for the l-o-n-g-e-s-t of time........but I will be

enjoying watching them,....that part is 100% guarantied.

The thing about last years team is that they showed a lot of heart. They battled injuries a poor goalie a bad coach (for this team) and never gave up. They scored when the chips were down remember how many games they won by 1? Heart is what it is all about they have improved talent and we can look forward to a hard working team that never gives up (unless koivu takes another dirty stick tio the eye)

They have the best coaching staff they've had since I can't remember when, A smart GM who has won with another team, and the best group of young players they've had in years. (Ryder, Higgins, Pleks, Perez, Kosty).

A few people have talked about how Higgins lit it up late last season and wondered if he can keep it up goal-scoring wise. The great thing about Higgins is that even when he's not scoring goals he doesn't hurt you because he does so much else on the ice. Some of his most impressive games last year were games where he didn't end up on the score sheet.

We've two very good scoring lines with the addition of Samsonov, and a solid goalie who doesn't ever seem to get rattled (unlike a certain goalie we used to have).

No question we should definitely be better than last year.

I predict ~ 100 to 105 pts.

1) Samsonov and Koivu are injury prone. We do not have the depth at centre to replace Koivu for an extended period of time. As well, if Samsanov gets injured, the team needs another one of their young guys to play and produce like a top six forward. This brings me to my next point.

You can't talk about what if's on the injury front, if Alfreddson/Spezza/Emery get hurt they too will not be competing for a playoff spot.

YOu can't look at previous injuries and try and guess how they will do this year. On paper we look real good to compete for the division, of course if we get hit with a bunch of injuries then we probably won't but that goes for every team in the league.

Sportsbook.com gives odds for winning the cup in 06-07.

Detriot 6-1

Ottawa 7-1

Montreal 30-1

Toronto 40-1

Islanders 50-1

Chicago 100-1

So according to Sportsbook they think the east will look like this...

Eastern Conference

1. Ottawa

2. Carolina

3. Buffalo

3. Philadelphia

3. New Jersey

6. New York Rangers

7. Tampa Bay

8. Montreal

8. Atlanta

8. Florida

11. Toronto

12. Boston

13. New York Islanders

14. Pittsburgh

15. Washington

Sportsbook.com, full article.

http://205.134.167.60/lines/lines.cgi?devi...2&sport=523

YES! Just make the playoffs.... My prediction for 2006/2007 below:

NorthEast Division

Ottawa - 103pts

Buffalo - 101pts (Only because it is hard for the Habs to beat them, grrr....)

Montreal - 98pts

Boston - 87pts

Toronto - 83Pts (Howard Berger just SUCKS)

Atlantic Division (I expect the top three teams in this division to be REALLY TOUGH)

NJ Devils - 100pts

Philadelphia - 100pts

NY Rangers - 98pts

Pittsburg - 68pts (Sydney will make a 20 point difference this year in the standings)

Islanders - 65pts (This is one Milbury messed up franchise)

SouthEast Division

Carolina - 105pts (Stanley Cup Champions, Montreal's turn soon)

Tampa - 99pts

Atlanta - 95pts (Going to just miss the playoffs again)

Florida - 77pts

Washington - 70pts (One more year of Pain)

Habs are going to have to work hard and NOT TAKE DUMB PENALTIES. So many times the Habs were shorthanded by two men and it just killed them. Even though they will have a better year, they will still be near the bottom of the playoff pool. No problem though as look at what Edmonton did this year.

Go :hlogo: Go

Edited by InsaneAVSfan