Your Opinion On Each Habs Player

KoZed

I thought about this because of the Souray thread and other threads that turned into arguements about polarized opinions on certain players. I've devised a little rating system.

* : worthless, not trying hard enough, not enough talent

** : can be helpful, but not much impact, easily replaceable

*** : necessary, but limited upside/needs to step up.

**** : important, team depends on him, could hardly give more, shows up all the time.

***** : vital, team could not live without him.

Now if you want to, here's the game: rate every player based on your opinion, with comments if you want. I'm just ranking players with enough NHL experience to be fairly evaluated.

FORWARDS

Steve Begin: ***** The true heart of the team, all the players rallies around him.

Radek Bonk: *** Could give more and be more consistent but does his job most of the time

Aaron Downey: ** Not sure Habs need him 82 games a year.

Christopher Higgins: *** Has to prove he can still make an impact regardless of linemates

Mike Johnson: *** Haven't seen him with the Habs yet, but projects as a reliable 3rd-liner

Saku Koivu: **** Needs to go back to his creative, relentless, inspirational-self to be effective.

Alexei Kovalev: ***** His occasionnal nights off are offset by his talent and he stepping up when it counts.

Garth Murray: ** Nice player to have, but limited talent makes his spare parts.

Alexander Perezhogin: *** Needs to round out his game and find his niche.

Tomas Plekanec: **** Might already be the Habs most complete & reliable C.

Mike Ribeiro: *** Shows improvements but must meet expectations once and for all.

Michael Ryder: *** Needs to improve rest of his game or be labeled one-trick pony

Sergei Samsonov: **** Still too early to judge, but is expected to provide lot of offense.

DEFENSEMEN

Francis Bouillon: **** Never takes a game off and is growing ever more confident.

Mathieu Dandenault: *** Has the experience and speed to be more of a factor.

Mike Komisarek: *** Growing nicely, but upside is high enough to have more room for improvement

Andrei Markov: ***** Habs can barely win without him, as simple as that.

Craig Rivet: **** Hated him for a long time, but has reach a level of experience and consistency

Sheldon Souray: *** Is capable of the best and the worst, needs to be more reliable.

Mark Streit: ** Needs to generate much more offense to be relevant on this team.

GOALTENDERS

David Aebischer: *** Needs to be more reliable and more of a threat for the starter job.

Cristobal Huet: **** Would be 5-stars if he can repeat last year's exploits.

Your turn now.

I think last season's playoff collapse shows that Koivu deserves 5 stars. He's not a legit #1 center and not an elite player in the league, but he is vital to the team's success. The healthier Saku stays, the better the team does.

You had to complicate things, and insert colours, eh? :P

FORWARDS

Steve Begin: ****

Radek Bonk: ***

Aaron Downey:**

Christopher Higgins:****

Mike Johnson: ??

Saku Koivu: *****

Alexei Kovalev:****

Garth Murray: ***

Alexander Perezhogin: ***

Tomas Plekanec: ***

Mike Ribeiro: **

Michael Ryder: ****

Sergei Samsonov: ??

DEFENSEMEN

Francis Bouillon:*****

Mathieu Dandenault:***

Mike Komisarek: ***

Andrei Markov: *****

Craig Rivet:***

Sheldon Souray: ***

Mark Streit: **

GOALTENDERS

David Aebischer:***

Cristobal Huet:*****

GOALTENDERS

David Aebischer: *** Needs to be more reliable and more of a threat for the starter job.

Your turn now.

everybody forgets that aebischer was the best goalie since jan 1st when he got traded to montreal.

I agree he was horrible in his first games but he played like a real number 1 against ottawa.

he will be a great number 1b goalie while huet is 1a

everybody forgets that aebischer was the best goalie since jan 1st when he got traded to montreal.

I agree he was horrible in his first games but he played like a real number 1 against ottawa.

he will be a great number 1b goalie while huet is 1a

Until some other teams #1 goes down with an injury, then Bob will trade him at his highest value.

#8 Mike Komisarek 3+ (the + is for how he toyed with Tucker)

#11 Saku Koivu 4 (If there were no injuries he would be a 5)

#14 Radek Bonk ? (dont see many games so cant rate all)

#15 Sergei Samsonov 3 (was kinda invisible in the finals I saw)

#20 Mike Johnson ? (know what he has done in stats but no more)

#21 Chris Higgins 4 (Hope he will improve even more)

#22 Steve Begin 5 (Best 3rd/4th line in the league? I think so)

#25 Mathieu Dandenault 2 (was really bad in the games I saw)

#27 Alex Kovalev 4 (Invisible to much to get a 5)

#30 David Aebischer 3 (Superb backup, decent no.1)

#32 Mark Streit 3 (what Ive seen I like this guy more than #25)

#35 Tomas Plekanec 4 (if he continues to develope he will be great)

#39 Cristobal Huet 5 (play like last season and he will stay a 5)

#42 Alex Perezhogin 3 (If he can stay consistent he will rise)

#44 Sheldon Souray 4 (He will be better and better I think)

#47 Aaron Downey ? (the fights ive seen werent good)

#51 Francis Bouillon 4+ (if he was bigger he would be a 5)

#52 Craig Rivet 4+ (Continue like last season pls.)

#57 Garth Murray 3 (played well the games Ive seen)

#71 Mike Ribeiro 4 (what ive seen is good but cjad says no)

#73 Michael Ryder 3 (Hoping for more)

#79 Andrei Markov 5 (keep him forever pls... )

remember that this is from what ive seen and heard on CJAD.. and a little what Ive seen of the players in europe and stuff.

FORWARDS

Steve Begin: ***** Heart and soul of the bottom 6. Does everything he can to put the Habs ahead.

Radek Bonk: *** Needs to do what he did in Ottawa.

Aaron Downey: ** Good for a scrap but would rather have a youngin in the lineup instead.

Christopher Higgins: **** If he can replicate what he did last year since the Olympics then the Habs wouldnt have to worry about alot of the one goal losses.

Mike Johnson: Im going to give him a **** just because he seemed to be and important part of the Yotes last season. Hope he puts up those kinda numbers for the Habs.

Saku Koivu: ***** Heart and soul of the top 6. Its easy to see where the Habs are without him. (Late November-Early January.. on a terrible downward spiral and games 3-6 of the playoffs without him)

Alexei Kovalev: ***** When he steps up and gives it his all, he can decide whether the Habs win or lose on any given night.

Garth Murray: ** Great 4th liner... nothing more.

Alexander Perezhogin: *** Needs to play up to his potential and do it early.

Tomas Plekanec: **** I hope he continues to play like he did last year and eventually take the #2 C job from Mike. I know he can too.

Mike Ribeiro: *** Right now hes the only #2 C we have... but another year of whining and underachieving I hope BG gives him a one way ticket out.

Michael Ryder: **** Teams highest goal scorer, but needs to play the other parts of the game well too.

Sergei Samsonov: Going to have to give him *****, he should and hopefully will give the Habs that little extra offensive push to make them a force in the East this year.

Andrei Kostitsyn: *** If he shows up like he SHOULD then he'll get another *. He will be an important offensive player of the Habs for years to come.

DEFENSEMEN

Francis Bouillon: **** Great work ethic and heart.

Mathieu Dandenault: *** Hes Fast! But then again so is Markov, he does however have a bit of a scoring touch, goes into the corners when needed and is experienced when it counts.

Mike Komisarek: **** Like Higgins, with improved play since the Oylmpics he should keep getting better and better... Id like to see him return to the Crush-Tucker form that he showed in late 03-04.

Andrei Markov: *****, Kozed said it best.. they just cant seem to win without him. Heart and sould of the D.

Craig Rivet: **** One of the Leaders but needs to be more asertive on the ice. Could polish his game a little more and use his bigger body more.

Sheldon Souray: **** Great on and off ice leader, and booming shot that just seems to find mesh everytime. I hope he replicates his 03-04 preformance. That'll put all naysayers to rest.

Mark Streit: ** Looked good towards the end of the season. Keeps it up and he earns himself another *.

GOALTENDERS

David Aebischer: **** He will keep Huet in top form and he will stay in top form himself if he wants to play. Could be part of a great 1a 1b tandem.

Cristobal Huet: ***** Threw the team on his back and said "Ill get you to the playoffs boys." Hopefully this year he wont have to do it alone this year but hes still and integral part of the Habs. Great heart.

Yann Danis: *** Hes a great goalie and should Aebi be traded this year, Id take him over any backup in the league. (well maybe Budaj but thats it)

:hlogo:

FORWARDS

Steve Begin: **** Great 4th liner, great grit. Still kinda wonder about his salary, but what a great waiver draft steal!

Radek Bonk: *** I like Bonk. I expect more from him this year, since he hopefully will not start out the year with a groin injury. Played great after Olympic break and in the playoffs.

Aaron Downey: *Nice to have around, but primarily a press box player.

Christopher Higgins: *** paid great after Olympic break (16g, 26 games), can he start out the season as strong?

Mike Johnson: *** Liked him in Phoenix, a more complete player that is comfortable in his 3rd line role.

Saku Koivu: **** The true leader of the team. Eye injury concerns are still there. Playoff injury demonstrated lack of C depth for Habs. Ideally a #2 center.

Alexei Kovalev: ***** Most skilled/talented habs. Period. Superstar player the Habs have lacked for years.

Garth Murray: ** Marcel who? Provides grit and energy on the 4th line when needed. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

Alexander Perezhogin: **Not noticeable most nights, and that's not good for an expected sniper-type player.

Tomas Plekanec: **** Strong rookie campaign. Hopefully he continues to improve and impress.

Mike Ribeiro: **Don't disappear, don't flop, and when Saku inevitably gets hurt, can he pick it up? Not in the playoffs, he proved that. I don't think he can in the regular season either. Maybe the breakup of the 3 playmates will keep him focused this year.

Michael Ryder: *** A better Dagenais? When will he bring more to the game?

Sergei Samsonov: **** One of the top 3 forwards, skill wise, for the Habs.

DEFENSEMEN

Francis Bouillon: ***Spark plug defender with great mobility. However, I don't rate him as high as most.

Mathieu Dandenault: *** Did what I expected of him. Others had higher expectations. Have enough forwards now where I don't expect him to put in any icetime on the wing.

Mike Komisarek: *** With more ice time, he can only get better. I'm excited to watch him develop into the top flight defenseman he can be. And he was just so damn nice in Vail! Ha!

Andrei Markov: ***** Stalwart on defense, and offensively. Ovechkin praises him, and he leads the Habs with D pts and +/-.

Craig Rivet: **** Last season was his best as a player, IMO.

Sheldon Souray: *** Inconsistant. The more responsibility thrust on him, the worse he does. About 18-20 minutes max, and I think it will benefit the Habs a lot more.

Mark Streit: * I give him an "incomplete". I need to see more before evaluating. At least he didn't stand out on a "bad" level.

GOALTENDERS

David Aebischer: *** Can push Huet, I think the competition in nets will be very beneficial to the team. I do expect him to be moved to make room for Danis once Huet has (hopefully) established himself as a bonafide #1.

Cristobal Huet: *** He's the number 1, but has a very solid option pushing him. Knows he can't take a game off. Positionally excellent, so he doesn't have to rely on being lighting fast. That should help he durability wise, since he isn't a scrambling/flopping style goalie. 36 games in Montreal as a starter? I'll wait before I annoint him the next savior. 7 SO in 36 GP is quite the accomplishment, though. Team has great confidence in him, as do I.

In closing, I was more generous than usual with most rankings. Fans of the team tend to overrate most of their players. I tried to be objective. But if the Habs players were as good as most people think, they'd be planning the parade down the usual route every year.

Edited by huzer

**** : important, team depends on him, could hardly give more, shows up all the time.

Now if you want to, here's the game: rate every player based on your opinion, with comments if you want. I'm just ranking players with enough NHL experience to be fairly evaluated.

FORWARDS

Steve Begin: ***** The true heart of the team, all the players rallies around him.

Radek Bonk: *** Could give more and be more consistent but does his job most of the time

Aaron Downey: ** Not sure Habs need him 82 games a year.

Christopher Higgins: *** Has to prove he can still make an impact regardless of linemates

Mike Johnson: *** Haven't seen him with the Habs yet, but projects as a reliable 3rd-liner

Saku Koivu: **** Needs to go back to his creative, relentless, inspirational-self to be effective.

Alexei Kovalev: ***** His occasionnal nights off are offset by his talent and he stepping up when it counts.

Garth Murray: ** Nice player to have, but limited talent makes his spare parts.

Alexander Perezhogin: *** Needs to round out his game and find his niche.

Tomas Plekanec: **** Might already be the Habs most complete & reliable C.

Mike Ribeiro: *** Shows improvements but must meet expectations once and for all.

Michael Ryder: *** Needs to improve rest of his game or be labeled one-trick pony

Sergei Samsonov: **** Still too early to judge, but is expected to provide lot of offense.

DEFENSEMEN

Francis Bouillon: **** Never takes a game off and is growing ever more confident.

Mathieu Dandenault: *** Has the experience and speed to be more of a factor.

Mike Komisarek: *** Growing nicely, but upside is high enough to have more room for improvement

Andrei Markov: ***** Habs can barely win without him, as simple as that.

Craig Rivet: **** Hated him for a long time, but has reach a level of experience and consistency

Sheldon Souray: *** Is capable of the best and the worst, needs to be more reliable.

Mark Streit: ** Needs to generate much more offense to be relevant on this team.

GOALTENDERS

Your turn now.

I too mostly agree with you too, KoZed; However, here is where I disagree.

Now I did not see every game LIVE at the phone booth, but caught 90% of the games LIVE on RDS. I don't speak french but can understand it well enough to enjoy listening to the game in French as opposed to English, as those english speaking colour commentators, especially the american ones suck! but I digress. I'm sure there is another thread with a poll on colour commentators just waiting to be posted by one of you creative posters...

But more to the point of this thread. Here is my Opinion.

Garth Murray: 3+ *** : I've seen him been placed in a center position and take faceoffs, I can see his size, talent and skill level; his ability to be juggled in and out of the lineup become a real asset to the club. This will be his year to shine and surprise.

Saku: 5+++ ***** : Do you really need an explanation? He is our captain without him we are a different team. He may not be a superstar on every other team; but on our team he is!

Mark Streit: 3+ *** : After watching him now for a season and seeing him adjust to the north american game; I've noticed his offensive leadership on defense show up with glimmers of potential stardom! I think he will have a break out year as well. Another player who will step it up and shine in my opinion. Remember although he is an experienced captain and leader on his international team, he is a defenseman and they need time to adjust. Expect great things from him this year.

Edited by Chips

I agree with KoZed's rankings, so no need to repost. You know, when I first opened this thread...I said to myself: just watch the blindly devoted Koivu fans posting up a five-star ranking on a guy who coasted on far too many nights after the Olympics. Sure enough....

Saku: 5+++ ***** : Do you really need an explanation? He is our captain without him we are a different team. He may not be a superstar on every other team; but on our team he is!

By his own standard, Saku was underachieving last season. His main assets are speed, playmaking and determination to create scoring chances out of nothing and for the better part of the regular season he failed to bring that to the club. While the team was in its horrendous slump Saku was quiet, if not completely invisible, both as the #1 C and as captain. I thought he was still feeling the after-effects of his injury but then the Olympics came and he was outstanding, which only added to my dissapointment.

I also dont suscribe to the idea that the Habs loss their series vs Carolina only because they loss Saku. Those 4 losses were 1-goal games, and in 2 of those losses the Habs dominated. I peg the losses more on the game-robbing performances of Cam Ward and the rotation of C's between Higgins-Ryder than the simple loss of Koivu.

I expect more out of Saku.

FORWARDS

Steve Begin: *****

Radek Bonk: **

Aaron Downey: **

Christopher Higgins: ****

Mike Johnson: ***

Saku Koivu: *****

Alexei Kovalev: *****

Garth Murray: ***

Alexander Perezhogin: ***

Tomas Plekanec: ***

Mike Ribeiro: **

Michael Ryder: ****

Sergei Samsonov: ****

DEFENSEMEN

Francis Bouillon: ****

Mathieu Dandenault: ***

Mike Komisarek: *****

Andrei Markov: *****

Craig Rivet: ****

Sheldon Souray: ****

Mark Streit: *

GOALTENDERS

David Aebischer: ***

Cristobal Huet: ***

I expect more out of Saku.

I have waited for him to put together a start-to-finish season playing at his best for so many years that I'm pretty much convinced it's never going to happen. I'm hoping that having to compete for the ice time he's normally accustomed to with the Kovalev line will light a fire under his ass this season.

On the whole, I agree with your assessments, KoZed.

I might suggest a few changes (Higgins & Komisarek could be a 4 star, maybe Ryder too - who else scores 30 goals for the team?...)

But, on the whole, lots of work, KoZed and very good & well thought out work.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

FORWARDS

Steve Begin: **** Just great player good character player for this team.

Radek Bonk: *** Scorer or not hes here for defense and hes EFFING GREAT at it! could score here and there tho :)

Aaron Downey: ** just there for grit good thing mtl finaly has one i notice we play harder when he in the line up, IMO

Christopher Higgins: *** great player for the future and showed awesome things for the years to come not flashy but amazing :D

Mike Johnson: *** Boh but i here good things :D

Saku Koivu: ***** K fav player he gettin 5 stars and hes the best player on the team off and on the ice even when hes on a cold streak he gives his all every night i love watching him.

Alexei Kovalev: ***** Ok this russian can make or break a game, awesome skills but should be more alert in the game that he gets lazy often.

Garth Murray: ** im happy rather then hossa.

Alexander Perezhogin: *** This kid will be great give it time and we will get a great player in him. staal had 30 in first year perez had 19 or 20 not to bad

Tomas Plekanec: *** great two way player and can score about 20 goals.

Mike Ribeiro: *** bah suprise me u bum lol

Michael Ryder: *** good scorer but to one dimensional and same move lol he a lil bit repetative.

Sergei Samsonov: **** ok hes great russian fast and flashy everything i was looking for :D

DEFENSEMEN

Francis Bouillon: **** great player for his size.

Mathieu Dandenault:*** good for speed and great in big games.

Mike Komisarek: *** going to be great and defensmen i find are not as easy to get at there peek

Andrei Markov: ***** can we win with out him ? ask your self that

Craig Rivet:**** a good leader if koivu is out of the lineup, a lil to much money there...

Sheldon Souray:**** Just dont get ur ass deked in again lol.

Mark Streit: ** im still unsure but he can be good...

GOALTENDERS

David Aebischer:**** great goalie

Cristobal Huet:**** if he can do a repeat he will get star number 5

I might suggest a few changes (Higgins & Komisarek could be a 4 star, maybe Ryder too - who else scores 30 goals for the team?...)

But, on the whole, lots of work, KoZed and very good & well thought out work.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Its tough giving a rating while considering both actual output and potential output in mind. Higgins and Komisarek should develop into 4 or 5 stars guys down the line, the kinds that make or break your team's success. But right now in their development they're "helpers", which is completely normal for such young players.

As for Ryder: scoring 30 goals but not having much else to brag about doesnt make you a 4 stars. Maybe if he was a 40+ goals scorer, that'd be something else. But 30 goals isnt the end of the world in the league. To get 4 stars Ryder would have to develop a better overall game or significantly raise his goals output.

If you expect more from Saku, then you'd also have to expect much more from Kovalev. If Saku gets 4 points, then Kovalev should als get 4 - Kovi also underachieved last year, he could have put up much better numbers, he also was invisible for lots of games.

If you expect more from Saku, then you'd also have to expect much more from Kovalev. If Saku gets 4 points, then Kovalev should als get 4 - Kovi also underachieved last year, he could have put up much better numbers, he also was invisible for lots of games.

Kovalev played at nearly a point per game pace most of the season. (0.94) while Saku played at his usual pace of 0.86. The difference is that for years we've been hearing how Saku would put up better stats if he had better wingers. He gets flanked with the best winger of his career in Kovalev and yet pulls the same stats as usual; in a year where scoring was up. Yet when the Olympics came around, Saku had an instant burst of vitality, that somehow stopped once NHL resumed.

Coupled with the fact that Saku has a "C" letter on his jersey, signed a 3-years contract with a no-trade clause that will earn him more than Kovalev for the next seasons; I think its reasonable to think he needs to raise his game more than Kovalev does.

We all know that Saku hadn't his best season and has to step up again next season (I'm sure he'll do that).

But if you rank both on last seasons performance, Kovalev doesn't deserve 5 points too. He can do much more , as he was not very consistent too.

As for the salary - as far as I know Koivu only earns 250k more than Kovi and both have 3 years left on their contract ...

We all know that Saku hadn't his best season and has to step up again next season (I'm sure he'll do that).

But if you rank both on last seasons performance, Kovalev doesn't deserve 5 points too. He can do much more , as he was not very consistent too.

As for the salary - as far as I know Koivu only earns 250k more than Kovi and both have 3 years left on their contract ...

But that's how Kovalev always been. Inconsistent, takes nights off but shoots the lights out when he wants to. We knew that's what we had when we traded Balej for him. So I dont see how more should be expected out of him now.

The difference is that, for the first time in his career, Saku looked completly lifeless out there. I could live with Saku's subpar stats when he was playing like a talented version of Begin and being all over the ice. But not getting the stats AND not even looking interested, its scary. Its scary because the guy is locked for 3 years, with a big contract, no way to trade him and getting up there in age.

At least with Kovy, if he looks uninterested at times you know he has that pure-bred ego that'll make him want to show off and produce in spurts. Its a given based on the past. But an uninterested Saku? Never happened before last season and its worrying me. I'm afraid he had suffered so many injuries and set backs in the past he has decided to tone it down for the rest of his time in the NHL. I pray to God I'm wrong.

But that's how Kovalev always been. Inconsistent, takes nights off but shoots the lights out when he wants to. We knew that's what we had when we traded Balej for him. So I dont see how more should be expected out of him now.

The difference is that, for the first time in his career, Saku looked completly lifeless out there. I could live with Saku's subpar stats when he was playing like a talented version of Begin and being all over the ice. But not getting the stats AND not even looking interested, its scary. Its scary because the guy is locked for 3 years, with a big contract, no way to trade him and getting up there in age.

At least with Kovy, if he looks uninterested at times you know he has that pure-bred ego that'll make him want to show off and produce in spurts. Its a given based on the past. But an uninterested Saku? Never happened before last season and its worrying me. I'm afraid he had suffered so many injuries and set backs in the past he has decided to tone it down for the rest of his time in the NHL. I pray to God I'm wrong.

Saku is a warrior and I'm sure he'll fight back again (I pray for it ... *fg*).

Just want to add something to your list ... *fg*

5 points - vital, team could not live without him - Kovi is inconsistent, yes we knew that. He isn't "there" on some nights and so the team has to live without him ... :P

I simply don't see a forward with the team who's that important. They play as a team up front, it seems like they can also win without their superstars aka Koivu, Kovalev & Co.

It's something different on defence as we all could see when Markov was out of the line-up. Of course they also play as a team their, try to compensate the loss of Markov as good as they can. But you see a much bigger difference on defence when Markov is injured, then when a guy like Koivu or Kovi is injured.

Kovalev played at nearly a point per game pace most of the season. (0.94) while Saku played at his usual pace of 0.86. The difference is that for years we've been hearing how Saku would put up better stats if he had better wingers. He gets flanked with the best winger of his career in Kovalev and yet pulls the same stats as usual; in a year where scoring was up. Yet when the Olympics came around, Saku had an instant burst of vitality, that somehow stopped once NHL resumed.

Coupled with the fact that Saku has a "C" letter on his jersey, signed a 3-years contract with a no-trade clause that will earn him more than Kovalev for the next seasons; I think its reasonable to think he needs to raise his game more than Kovalev does.

Saku i say can play a little better, but thinking of it how much weight is put on his back he should score more he should be a better leader, help the rookies in there development, ect...as where kovalev can put up so much more numbers when he didn't, ok he was with Ribiero but still Kovalev should play on his game more often then half the time.