Habs Not Among Suitors For Dumont

brboo

Glad to hear it. He certainly is not worth what he was given by the arbitor, although we might have signed him for less.

In any case, I didn't think he would have been the difference for the Habs.

Dumont says he wants to play in Montreal and for that reason we should sign him? No way. If he wanted to come here, why not before this? In the "OLD NHL" free agents could take a paycut to go somewhere they liked. Last August he signed a 1 year with Buffalo. I didn't hear any Dumont rumours then! And, we could have used Dumont then too.

So, go play somewhere else. Fine. The only reason Gainey didn't contact him is he knew the paycut offer was not in the books of logic considering the dividends his play would pay. Especially given the current roster.

Latendresse!

Chipchura!

Andrei Kostitsyn!

HABS! :hlogo:

I would not want JP here. As I said in a thread sometime ago, people would expect a lot more from him that he can deliver. Just my opinion, but it seems everyone expects hometown boys to take paycuts and become superstars.

Dumont says he wants to play in Montreal and for that reason we should sign him? No way. If he wanted to come here, why not before this? In the "OLD NHL" free agents could take a paycut to go somewhere they liked. Last August he signed a 1 year with Buffalo. I didn't hear any Dumont rumours then! And, we could have used Dumont then too.

So, go play somewhere else. Fine. The only reason Gainey didn't contact him is he knew the paycut offer was not in the books of logic considering the dividends his play would pay. Especially given the current roster.

RFA's cant chose where they end up.

Last August he signed a 1 year with Buffalo. I didn't hear any Dumont rumours then! And, we could have used Dumont then too.

He was a RFA not a UFA last August. He was a RFA this year until Buffalo decided not to accept the arbitrators ruling. So this was his first chance to join the habs.

Dumont is however simply a role player (granted he played his role very well in Bufalo).

I'm guess that Dumont is looking for a long term deal and BG won't commit to more that a year or 2 for this type of player. The demand for these type of guys will go down over the next few years as teams pay their top players (the guys that sell tickets) huge salaries and don't have the budget for $2-3M role players. I'm sure Gainey sees this trend and is unwilling to commit to a guy like this.

-tmd

Latendresse!

Chipchura!

Andrei Kostitsyn!

HABS! :hlogo:

You bet !!

Bob the Builder knows what he's doing.

If there's one player I hope makes camp, it's Latendresse.

RFA's cant chose where they end up.

I know, but not even a whisper of a desire? He must have been a UFA at sometime.

Anyway, he picked a wonderful time to make a noise, just when the Habs are rising from the ashes of despair into a perrenial killing machine.

How convienient!

You guys are crazy, he would have been an excellent addition to our team. Especially when you think about replacing Bonk with him. And role players are the heart and soul's of all Stanley Cup winning teams. He would have been there biggest pick-up all year. Especially since he wanted to play here.

It just breaks my heart that BG didn't/couldn't/wouldn't sign him and trade Bonk for a couple of sticks and a bag of pucks. Frustrating........

You guys are crazy, he would have been an excellent addition to our team. Especially when you think about replacing Bonk with him. And role players are the heart and soul's of all Stanley Cup winning teams. He would have been there biggest pick-up all year. Especially since he wanted to play here.

It just breaks my heart that BG didn't/couldn't/wouldn't sign him and trade Bonk for a couple of sticks and a bag of pucks. Frustrating........

Um, the same reason Gainey can't trade Bonk (who says he was even trying) is probably the same reason teams won't trade for him. Not only that, but Dumont is a winger, Bonk a center. The Habs are not deep down the middle and have much greater depth on the wings. Dumont is not going to displace any of the top 4 wingers, and he becomes redundant with the addition of Johnson and the elevated play of Perezhogin or another young player that the Habs have slated for third line duty. Just as much as $2M+ is expensive for Bonk on the 4th line, it would be the same price the Habs would be paying to more than likely place Dumont on the 4th line, with random playing time on the 3rd.

The Habs have a solid core, and all you hear is people wanting a turnover of half of the forwards on the roster...trade Ribeiro, Bonk, Zednik, Bulis, Sundstrom, Ryder, and replace the bums! Perezhogin is listed in half of the trade rumours as a throw in. At the rate people want fantasy trades and signings to happen, the Habs would be a completely different team every year. Let the Habs start the season with the strong line up of forwards they currently have, with rookies pushing some of the vets, and reevaluate once the season has started.

I know, but not even a whisper of a desire? He must have been a UFA at sometime.

Anyway, he picked a wonderful time to make a noise, just when the Habs are rising from the ashes of despair into a perrenial killing machine.

How convienient!

J.P. has never been a UFA before this.

It is pretty bad form for an RFA to talk about other teams he'd prefer to play for.

Nah, I still disagree. I'll bet money that Gainey makes you forget about JP by the deadline due to a move that's better. I hope I'm right. We'll see.

Nah, I still disagree. I'll bet money that Gainey makes you forget about JP by the deadline due to a move that's better. I hope I'm right. We'll see.

next move will be via a trade..we are to close to the cap..we need to free up some cash in order to sign ufa next summer

How convienient!

Why trying debilitate Dumont even when member have pointed out to you the irrelevances of connecting

this player with a priviledge (UFA status) he never had once before now ?

Anyway, against all odds Gainey did re-open the books for the circumstance and had a

couple of meetings with Dumont's agent as reported earlier by TSN/RDS.

Realisticaly speaking, BG as done extremelly well during this off-season.....he brought

the needed scoring potential of his team up,.....and even did it with some '' gusto '' with Samsonov....

all of this with undue risks or innapropriate long term contracts.

In the overall context the table happen to be nicely set......yet I applaud Gainey for taking the time about re-appraising the situation when something of particuliar interest shows-up.

Why the rollercoaster with everyone. We want JP, we want JP, ohhhhhhhhhhow we want JP. Then an article comes out saying he's not a suitor to the Habs and you all change your song to screw him, why didn't he want to be a habs before.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the simple things in this Hockey world these days.

Media STUNT.

I didn't read anything in that article that said Bob Gainey said we don't want him. It also didn't say that Dumont was signed to anyone either.

I read this.

I'm going to make a statement on behalf of my client JP DUMONT. We have 3 or 4 offers from other teams and are thinking about signing soon. There is still time before training camp starts. I'm making this a public statement so Bob Gainey knows we are waiting. We understand you have no cap space. We also know you are trying to create it via trade, but the clock is ticking, please hurry........or we will have to go to Detroit because they are interested.

I Say.............. sign with the other 3 or 4 teams and shut-up. Whats with the gay article or press release. Do your thing.

Am I making sense?

My point is. The Habs NEED a guy like Dumont on the roster. Problem is we have no room under the cap and Gainey has no bites on the trade front. None that would clear enough cash anyway.

So to all those starting to bash Dumont .....STOP. He may still become a habs. Only if Gainey decides to sweeten the Bonk deal with a prospect, which he just might do.

I would throw Perezoghin in the deal. With all the prospects coming up that I feel are better will make him disappear quickly. I like him a lot but I think he is too sensitive and that will always keep him from becoming the player you all want him to be. Get a young up and coming mobile defenceman with a shot, sign Dumont and call it a DAY.

It ain't over till the Fat lady sings!

next move will be via a trade..we are to close to the cap..we need to free up some cash in order to sign ufa next summer

Our own UFAs. Souray and Rivet are both UFA next year so they're goes our margin of manoeuver. Not to mention Markov than will be RFA and will obviously look for a neat salary rise. Add to that salary rise for Higgins, Perezhogin, Ryder , Ribiero...

Ok, here's my take. First of all I love Dumont, and I think he would've been big for us. Real big. But even assuming we could've gotten him under the cap I still think it's a bad idea....

The reason why Gainey wants to have the cap flexibility going into the season is because you can't predict what happens. (God forbid) something happens to Markov mid-season and we're in deep shit, our depth-chart on D being paper-thin as it is. Or Rivet for that matter, who people love to bash but I happen to think has been really steady for us for a while now. Or Koivu gets injured again. And if Huet was a one-year wonder (which I don't expect, but it's possible), then all of a sudden you can't really afford to trade Aebischer, who's supposed to be our biggest trade asset. You get the picture....

Imagine how we'd feel come playoffs when we gotta face Ottawa or Buffalo and we got to have J.P. Cote, Archer, or some career AHL stiff on D because we've already blown our load with Dumont before the season even starts, and don't have the chips, or can't absorb any salary come trade deadline. We'll get MURDERED.

But this JP Dumont thing was always unlikely. Not even his own moms would trade for Bonk at his current salary, and Bob knows better then to trade a player like Perezhogin and watch him become a MONSTER elsewhere just to make room for Dumont.

I think at this point we roll with what we got, and it's a pretty decent team IMO. Gonna be a fun season!

Would have been nice but who do you trade?

I think the Canadien's organization is going to do the painful build a team through the draft and give guys a chance. Many young forwards itching to play and I think this at least will be a fun team to watch this year.

I have a feeling Detroit will sign Dumont as they are looking for a point producing forward to replace Shanahan.