Preseason Game Thread | Montreal Vs. Toronto | 09/22/06

Spider-Man NL

Everything you say is true, for both teams. the fact remains that the rookies are not showing anything, the commentators have continually commented that the effort is not really there, and the offense is completely gone.

The Leaf vets seem to be scoring. The leaf rookies are scoring. And the Leaf goalie is playing very well. We can't say that about that habs in any game yet.

How the team responds is exactly what I am worried about, they are not responding.

Unfortunately I'm at work so no access to the radio stream - download restrictions?!?

So I can't comment on their actual play.

The coaches job is to differentiate between the actual level of effort and the reality of the lineup in an exhibition game. Can be a fine line at times - it makes the last 2-3 cuts tough at any level?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could go back to 2002-03 when killer Czerkawski led the Canadiens to an 8-2 record in presesaon.

We missed the playoffs that year.

Its not about winning, its about seeing some young players show promise. Its about seeing the team have some pride.

As I said, i don't care if the win, but they can't score, have no PK, and the team effort seems lousy. Our defense are constantly taking penalties too. Poor discipline and a lack of skating.

The only bright spots I have seen is that Pleks is playing well and Lats is trying (he is still not going to make it).

I would also say that Price was good the other night.

Carbo has some work to do and it doesn't sound like any of the rookies are fighting too hard for a spot so far. As the commentators said, there are a lot of guys heading to Hamilton tomorrow. :)

Well... that sucked no other way to say it.

But at the same time, our lineup is pretty much set as Carbo leaked before the pre-season. I don't know much about the Leafs but I imagine there are a lot of spots open on the roster. In that light, there would be a clear difference in motivation between the two clubs, clearly in the Leafs favour.

Let the regular (read: real) season begin.

Even though it is only preseason the LEafs did look better with the passing and chances to score. Montreal on the other hand had moments of good pressure and lots of speed that totally confused some Leaf players.

Penalties, Penalties, Penalties...to sum up, Montreal just sucked with all the penalties. There could have been more as the Leaf Ref from the first period started to ignore the Montreal guys holding and taking LEafs down. Kromwell was tripped and went skates first into the boards. An accidental trip but should have been a panalty. Goal for next game, STAY OUT OF THE BOX!

Overall I do not think Montreal has any plays which I hope is due to trying out the young guys to see what they have. Hopefully by game 5 or 6 Montreal will ice a more complete team to get ready for the real season. No sure I am going to watch any more pre season games as they just are not attractive, but that is just me.

I did not hear or see the game. Having said that, all those penalties suggest a team that's dragging its feet, playing lazy - or else rookies who are trying TOO hard. In the regular season this would be disastrous, and Carbo should certainly make sure it doesn't carry over; but it really just shows that good chunks of the Habs aren't motivated at this time of year. Think about it, too - both Boston and TO are desperate to be half-decent this season, they're going to take any wins they can get because they need the confidence. The Habs, fortunately, are in a better position. Talk to me a month into the season, THEN I might give a poop.

I had the displaisure to watch the game in a bar with a satellite dish......this was not good hockey being played by our club......dysfonctionnal, slow....a game that never took off.

Leaf's fans had something to sheered about,....from their veterans and from their rookis,....they where faster and at time they could keep the offensive pressure going on and on,.....they showed more skills and more imagination during power plays.....they played good hockey,..we didn't.

Our back-end was desorganised and inneficient and seems to affect everything ahead.....it was painfull to watch.

The lack of team cohesion was evident and made individual players look at their worst.....in respect to that

any rookis involved in that game didn't look NHL ready....althought Lock (?) at time loocked imaginative and skillfull.

The best offensive display of the evening was acheived when Ribeiro threaded it's way in and around many leafs players behing the net and ended-up in front of the net getting a shot that almost went throught.

The best hits of the evening came from Latendresse, specially the one against Tucker while this one was on the move against the board at the red line.

In this mess it was hard to see anything of value,....but Plek had jump and seems ready to take off where he left us and so did Ryder, which seems along with Ribeiro faster than they where.........halak did look pretty good in net too.

I have watch quite a few pre-saison games before, alot of them where boring...but this one was bad.

After checking TSN twice through the night to see if there were any NHL updates, I saw that the title of the Leaf habs recap was changed from Toronto Cruises by Habs to Toronto Crushes Habs. I thought I should speak up.

"As the night goes on, will the title continue its move from 'cruses past' to 'crushes' and thence on to something even more... accurate?

Perhaps...

Leafs Utterly Annihilate Habs; No Hope for Montreal, May As Well Leave NHL

Or...

Toronto Maple Leafs (must be said in a loud, reverberating baritone voice) Humiliate That Other Team That Was Once Famous, But Whose Name We've Now Forgotten

Or...

Welcome To the Leaf Love In

;) Seriously, I don't think you have enough Leaf lovers at TSN. I'm wondering if you could hire more.

Hugs and Kisses

- Sucker who keeps coming back (I know you were all saying it anyhow)

:D

PS I can't wait for the first Sundin hangnail story which supplants Ottawa's 25-game win streak or the retiring of Ken Dryden or the Oilers Stanley Cup parade... :P"

I somehow think it won't be published.

:king:

I will be very concerned if they bring the same lack of effort tomorrow night on home ice.

ditto

but tonight we should see better goaltending. I don't know who but I guess we'll see carey price before he's cut tomorrow.

Plekanec, Komisarek, Latendresse and even Halak all played quite well. Plek is so good defensively it amazes me sometimes. Latendresse wants to make this team and see no reason why he should not be on the team. Komi is just a crushing influence that like to pummel Tucker. Halak made some very good saves and I think he will do well in Hamilton. Even though I would love to see Montreal kick Leaf butt, it does not matter right now as much as young guys proving their worth.

Go Habs!