Canadiens Claim Traverse Off Waivers

kenadian

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I"m the only one who feels this was a good backup plan by Gainey and company. He's Cheap, expendable at any time, could fill in the gaps either with the big club or the dogs if he's cleared.

Give him a chance to make mends! He could surprise us an start playing D for a change.

I for one... Trust in Gainey. And support this more 100%

I guess I"m the only one who feels this was a good backup plan by Gainey and company. He's Cheap, expendable at any time, could fill in the gaps either with the big club or the dogs if he's cleared.

Give him a chance to make mends! He could surprise us an start playing D for a change.

I for one... Trust in Gainey. And support this more 100%

Holy cow! Someone here IS rational!!

I'm not worried about Traverse but I am about Souray.

Look at the D - Komisarek, Markov, Rivet, Dandenault, Streit and Jancevski. I figure Traverse is the 7th for insurance. O'Byrne being brought in might stunt his growth so I can live with this move.

If O'Byrne were to make it then Traverse is a Bulldog, no worries.

Cross fingers for Sheldon

your not alone! most of us here trust in Gainey the guys here are just outbursting with first impressions... its so logical that having a shortage of D why wouldnt we go for him at 500k perhaps? and then waiver him back into the league... of course Traverse will be wanting to make that desicion a difficult one so we get a D working his ass off for peanuts!

I guess this means than the direction think our rookies like O'Bryne and Benoit cant handle the job yet at the NHL level.

I'm not worried about Traverse but I am about Souray.

Look at the D - Komisarek, Markov, Rivet, Dandenault, Streit and Jancevski. I figure Traverse is the 7th for insurance. O'Byrne being brought in might stunt his growth so I can live with this move.

If O'Byrne were to make it then Traverse is a Bulldog, no worries.

Cross fingers for Sheldon

I think people are thinking too much of Jancevski. 2 NHL games, I think if Sheldon is out to start the year, Traverse is probably one of our 3rd pairing dman.

Traverse didn't do so well the first time around. The Habs paid him Millions to play in Hamilton for a few years ago....remember him and Dykhuis.

THis move is really curious. I'm sure its a small cap hit and he'll be released or waived after the Habs defense gets healthy...(if)!!!

I can't believe there wasn't somebody else out there though?

Habs lost 3 left-side defensemen to injuries (Bouillon, Souray and Cote). As it is right now Markov is the only reliable left-side D left. Habs couldnt go in with Streit, Jancevski and Benoit as the only 3 other options remaining. As bad as Traverse could be, he's still a safer solution for the left-side shortage than anything else Carbo had under his hands.

I can't believe there wasn't somebody else out there though?

Amen to that kaos! Montreal should have traded a young'n for defenceman from somebody that could help the team. I am confused with this move and not going to jump on the Gainey we trust bandwagon as he really has not done anything GREAT yet. For the second time I question Gainey (First was calling up Hainsey just to lose him) for lackluster moves that do nothing for the team when in need. Whats next, Larry Robinson out of retirement as there is nobody available to play "D" for the HAbs?

:angry2: NOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, it's almost out of my system. Now, acquiring Traverse shows how potentially bad Souray's shoulder is. I would much rather have seen Jancevski, Benoit and/or O'Byrne been given some icetime. Unless Traverse has *really* improved as a defenceman, then I cannot stand the thought of having to watch him cough up the puck in the worst possible moment while wearing a Habs uniform, again.

IMHO, Traverse was one of the 5 worst defenceman ever to have donned a Habs jersey. In no particular order, my list also includes Murray Baron, Darryl Shannon, Christian Laflamme and Patrice Brisebois.

Guys, this is a minor depth move. Our D prospects, like O'Byrne, are not ready for the NHL. We have numerous injuries on the blueline. Better to have a veteran in the pressbox than a youngster who could be learning in Hamilton.

Such reaction over such a minor move. Good God!

Why's everyone getting so worked up about this? He'll be our 6th/7th d-man until our D get healthy and then he'll probably be waived again or even sent for a late pick. I'd rather have him then Jancevski, I think. I'm sure that if Gainey was offered a better solution via trade then he would have taken it.

Why's everyone getting so worked up about this? He'll be our 6th/7th d-man until our D get healthy and then he'll probably be waived again or even sent for a late pick. I'd rather have him then Jancevski, I think. I'm sure that if Gainey was offered a better solution via trade then he would have taken it.

The reason some may be overreacting is that he sucks! Personally I would have hoped that BG would have made some move to help the defence but he has made none. Time will tell if this move is anything to be worked up about....