Ribeiro Traded To Dallas

mathieu30

I believe that bg and guy think this guy can play or they would not have gotten such an expensive option. I don't think they are going to have a guy making 2.5 in the press box. He is not coming in as an intentional 7th defenceman imo.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another thing about this trade is that montreal takes on another $600,000 in salary cost.

Hmmmmmmmm........

:king: :hlogo: :king:

WOW!!!

I didn't see this comming at all. After Ribs got signed I expected him to get the chance as he had a decent last half.

But Janne Niinimaa... I don't think you people understand how good he is. The best defenceman from Finland.

READ THIS THREAD:

http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?show...amp;hl=niinimaa

WOW!!!

I didn't see this comming at all. After Ribs got signed I expected him to get the chance as he had a decent last half.

But Janne Niinimaa... I don't think you people understand how good he is. The best defenceman from Finland.

READ THIS THREAD:

http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?show...amp;hl=niinimaa

Yes at one time he was great. Hopefully a new team that likes to skate will re-energize him to stardom!

Get out the Champagne, Ribeiro is out the door finally!

And it doesnt seem to be affecting our offensive firepower....5-5 score in the 3rd right now with the Sens

Listening to CJAD 800! It sounds like Sammy, Pleks, and Kovy are kicking some ass!

Ninnema is a very solid defenceman...Defence is no longer a problem for the habs! Much needed addition! Good Move BG!!!!

GO :hlogo: GO....were going all the way this year! :D

Why not offer Ribeiro then?

Use one of the rookies as 2nd line center.

If that doesnt work... use Bonk and Bulis with Ryder as a 2nd line. Begin can center the 3rd line if the younger c doesnt play consistent.

from http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?show...amp;hl=niinimaa

that post was from Oct 17, 2005.

DALHAB FOR HW NOSTRADAMUS!!!

I think we sure needed some D, Gainey reacted good on that. But still there is a little thing inside me that doesnt know if we will come away with this trade. If it will pay out, gotta see first. But i think Gainey is reall thinking good, but if Niinimaa is the right fitt, dunno? We could have offered ribeiro and a D for a real good D player i think.

Well gotta see first. But i also think that Pleky is a good fit in the 2nd line!

I think we sure needed some D, Gainey reacted good on that. But still there is a little thing inside me that doesnt know if we will come away with this trade. If it will pay out, gotta see first. But i think Gainey is reall thinking good, but if Niinimaa is the right fitt, dunno? We could have offered ribeiro and a D for a real good D player i think.

Well gotta see first. But i also think that Pleky is a good fit in the 2nd line!

Mike Ribeiro does not have a good reputation around the league. Most non-hab fan hockey fans I know think he is pretty much full of it (probably a lot of that is from the Bruins series). Considering his 'off year' in 2005, this is a pretty decent return.

This clears up room for Plek and that is definitely worth something and you have to think this makes the atmosphere in the locker room better.

I dont know enough about niinimaa to say where he fits in our D-corps, but it definitely gives Gainey options.

Anyone know what is left on Niinimaa's contract?

Niinimaa is in his last year of his contract. This gives BG space to perhaps move up a graduating D man (e.g. Cote, O'Byrne) or resign him for less.

BTW - the Habs cap hit is now at $42,829,900. Not too bad considering

1) that includes mr. traverse who is probably about to get waived.

2) by next yr, our total goalie cost should be much lower.

Edited by simonus

Why does everyone think Pleks is going to be a more offensive center then Ribs?

There is nothing in Pleks past hockey history that indicates that he is anything more then a strong two way center. He has never put up big numbers in the past and I see no reason why he would now. Playing with kovy and Sammy he might get 50 to 60 points, but I figured Ribs would do better then that if Sammy and Kovy actually show up for all the games and don't get injured.

In the end, I believe the team is going to need to get a more offensively gifted center to replace Ribs.

Why does everyone think Pleks is going to be a more offensive center then Ribs?

There is nothing in Pleks past hockey history that indicates that he is anything more then a strong two way center. He has never put up big numbers in the past and I see no reason why he would now. Playing with kovy and Sammy he might get 50 to 60 points, but I figured Ribs would do better then that if Sammy and Kovy actually show up for all the games and don't get injured.

In the end, I believe the team is going to need to get a more offensively gifted center to replace Ribs.

He might not be as offensively gifted, but he brings a lot to the second line that ribs did not. Most importantly he is a hard worker and he is defensibly responsible (important when on a line with samsonov and kovalev).

As to Plekanec's defensive capabilities, during his second season in the AHL he scored 64pts in 80 games and more importantly in montreal, he got 32pts in 67 games (with a +4) playing a checking role on lower lines. He has speed, grit, and an as-yet-undetermined amount of offense.

Anyways, if he can't cut it, you still have Grabovski :)

Edited by simonus

I'm not sure anyone thinks pleks will be offensive then Ribiero. he skates better then Ribiero, better defensively all around probably a better fit on that line. This move adds Murray into the mix and makes the habs bigger and faster.

I also smell another move by BG coming soon.

I saw a couple of Stars pre season games against the Avs and Niinimaa was a right D in all those games. I'm assuming he can play both sides.

He might not be as offensively gifted, but he brings a lot to the second line that ribs did not. Most importantly he is a hard worker and he is defensibly responsible (important when on a line with samsonov and kovalev).

As to Plekanec's defensive capabilities, during his second season in the AHL he scored 64pts in 80 games and more importantly in montreal, he got 32pts in 67 games (with a +4) playing a checking role on lower lines. He has speed, grit, and an as-yet-undetermined amount of offense.

Anyways, if he can't cut it, you still have Grabovski :)

People were upset that Ribs was only a .75 man last year (and he played some time on 4th line as well). Pleks was a .3 guy and had several shots at the first and second lines due to injuries and did nothing. Higgins really stepped up, but all I saw from Pleks was a guy who could be a solid 3rd line center.

Its not that I don't like Pleks, but I see him replacing Bonk, not Ribs. IMO, we will be shopping for a number 2 center at some point.

Grabovski might have the potential to replace Ribs, but he probably needs a year or two of seasoning first. :)

I'm not sure anyone thinks pleks will be offensive then Ribiero. he skates better then Ribiero, better defensively all around probably a better fit on that line. This move adds Murray into the mix and makes the habs bigger and faster.

I also smell another move by BG coming soon.

I saw a couple of Stars pre season games against the Avs and Niinimaa was a right D in all those games. I'm assuming he can play both sides.

Pleks is a better fit on the third line, imo. :)

Seconded!

(maybe DalHab is Gainey...

Oct 16 2005, 09:18 PM

"This would be a nice asset to our team but we don't have much to offer besides Mike Ribeiro."

By BTH

He gets my vote!

Any numbers you'd like to share for the 649 draw? :D

Another possibility is that the Habs are open to moving Higgins to 2nd line C if Pleks doesn't work out.

Think about it - that would open up a spot on the wing, where we're crowded with young talent (Kostityn, Perezhogin, Latendresse, etc.). If so, then Bob is doing what I hoped he'd do, show some real faith in our young guys and give them space to develop at the NHL level.

So, this move was all about 1) opening up roster space at the forward positions for other, more promising younger guys than Ribs, such as Pleks or the others 2) adding another bona fide NHL defenceman to our roster 3) rolling the dice that Niinima can recover some of the not-quite-an-all-star form he had back in the day (maybe playing under Finnish national captain Koivu will help?) 4) if the latter happens, then *possibly* having some wiggle room if Souray can't be resigned.

I doubt that Ribs had much more value than this on the market. But I do worry that in Niinima we've picked up another Bonk - a player who seems past his prime and a bit lost at sea in the new NHL. I doubt we'll miss Ribs much, though.

Interesting times, boys.

We all knew this type of trade would happen, just maybe not this soon. But the timing is telling (end of preseason).

Personnaly I'm guessing that Carbo was either very impressed by our prospects forwards and/or very unimpressed by our defensemen prospects during the camp and it ultimately got this deal done. It was clear that the Habs have lots of young forwards very near ready for the NHL caliber but none at the blueline.

Habs dealt a top 6 forward to get a top 3 defenseman because they could afford it and were dealing from a position of strenght.

Habs have many options to replace Ribs in the lineup. Very little downside to that deal in the middle to long run.

I think I've started something.... The last time I took a long nap in the afternoon I woke up to the news that we had acquired Johnson and signed Samsonov.... now its Niinimaa. So tomorrow Ill take another one and we'll have ourselves Gomez or Marleau. :rolleyes:

I like this move.. if Janne gets back to his old ways then we have a steal.

:hlogo:

In Bob we Trust.

I like this move.. if Janne gets back to his old ways then we have a steal.

Yep, if he can get back to his old Oilers form, then I'd be happy too.

As it seems, Pleky already had a great game with the Russians, much better than all of Ribs pre-season games with them. :P