Plekanec As The 2nd Line Centre

simonus

Discussion of Plekanec's ability to thrive on the 2nd line has been bubbling up in various threads tonight, so I thought I'd give it its own thread.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Here's some fodder from canadiens.com:

Samsonov also felt a good vibe with Plekanec by his side.

“We had plenty of great scoring chances and it nice to see our line to score a couple of goals,” said Samsonov, who notched his first goal since signing with the Canadiens in July. “It wasn’t tough to see that the three of us had some nice chemistry out there.”

AND

“Getting the chance to play on one of the top two lines is obviously a great feeling,” admitted the 23-year-old Plekanec. “But I know I’m not the No. 2 center. I’m sure the team will try different combinations, like on the power-play. I just hope that I get to play on this line as long as possible.”

Edited by simonus

Does anybody else notice that Sammy speaks english perfectly?

Anyways I think Plex will have his chance to prove that he can be the #2 Centre but he'll have to keep playing like tonight to stay there.

MAN IM PUMPED!!! But Friday is sooo far away... :(

:hlogo:

Plekanec is probably going to have alot of good and alot of not so good nights. He's a sophomore and prone to slumping. Totally normal part of his development. But he definitley has the speed, which Ribeiro didn't, to keep up with Kovalev and Samsonov.

Hopefully he continues to develop and plays well this year. Montreal could be the suprise in the east if Plekanec jells quickly and starts racking up points with Samsonov and Kovalev.

I remember watching the start of last season and having Plekanec and Perezhogin as the 2 "top of mind" youngsters on this team and thinking that Plekanec was not much more than a utility guy, but that Perezhogin had the real chance.

Well, let's just say that last season changed my tune completely! I think Tomas Plekanec is very skilled, but more importantly extremely smart with and without the puck. I watched him make great pass attempts or drop passes or blind passes to team-mates last year, only to see them unable to connect. I kept wondering when he would get the chance to play with some truly creative players who could better anticipate his creativity. Looks like he's got his chance.

Awesome! I for one am pumped for Tomas, hard worker, smart player, always fighting through. Just what Kovy and Samsonov needed, someone to create the energy and pace this line.

Awesome!

I am not convinced. I do think it is Pleks job to lose, but mainly because we have no one else (unless Bonk suddenly reverts to form, which I doubt).

The fact remains that Pleks has never been a high point guy at any point in his career. He has alwasy been slotted as a two way center for the third line from what I can see. Sure, he might break out this year, and having Kovy and Sammy is going to help. But, he is also going to learn that the performance by Kovy last night is a once a week thing at best.

As for Ribs not keeping up with Kovy, I think that is bunk. When is the last time Kovy "raced up ice"? Even when he skates fast, he does so much east-west, I could keep up with him. :) I really never saw that as a problem I think the only problem with Ribs and Kovy is that they both have the tendency to try to make too many plays. Both needed to shoot more last year in my opinion. It especially was annoying to see Kovy not shoot since he has such an amazing shot.

Like I said, I don't see anyone else on the team taking the number two spot from Pleks (unless Pleks tanks), but I do think the team still needs to trade for another top two center.

Oh yeah, interesting quote from Samy last night.. he said ribs being traded was a huge wakeup call for the team, that clearly they were not doing well in the preseason.

Surprise surprise, Kovy and Sammy show up for the first time in the preseason.....

Isn't Higgins a natural C? If so, that gives the Habs a bit of a sleeper option for 2nd line centreman, assuming that Higgins continues to develop. That would also create still more room on the wings for Kostityn et al. (And yes, I realize that Higgins has great chemistry with Koivu, but if he's the real deal, then surely he can do the job playing with Samsonov and Kovalev!)

Surprised more people aren't mentioning this.

Isn't Higgins a natural C? If so, that gives the Habs a bit of a sleeper option for 2nd line centreman, assuming that Higgins continues to develop. That would also create still more room on the wings for Kostityn et al. (And yes, I realize that Higgins has great chemistry with Koivu, but if he's the real deal, then surely he can do the job playing with Samsonov and Kovalev!)

Surprised more people aren't mentioning this.

Thats a good point, but I think the jury is still out on Higgins as a center too. He has really found his mojo playing with Koivu, but I am not sure he can be the pivot man. I would prefer they leave him be and let him keep going on the wing with Koivu.

That said, I think that if Pleks stuggles, Higgins will probably get a shot at it. Bonk might as well, if he is playing hard.

'' I kept wondering when he would get the chance to play with some truly creative players

who could better anticipate his creativity ''.

THE SAINT

Done,....his line oozed creativity on a different level last night....and delivered superlatively well.

Sam, Plek and Kovy where all big smile while sitting on the bench in the last few seconds of

the game while Carbo couldn't quite conceilled the rush of satisfaction taking a hold of him as he

was leaving the amphiteatre,... the Bell crowd on the other hand was simply extatic.

Was it the late goal clincher or the three un-answer goals delivered at even-strenth by this new born

Plek line that had the attendance bursting to no end ? Samsenov said it best later '' it wasn't tought to see that

the three of us had some nice chimistry out there ''......and this was for me the most satisfying point of the evening.

'' he is a sophomore but could hopefully continues to develop and play well this year.

Montreal could be the surprise in the east if Plekanec gells quickly and start racking up points

with Samsonov and Kovalev ''

KAOS

I concur, surprise in the East wouldn't be far-feched to consider if Plek keeps on growing this year.

''Plekanec has Kovu's work ethic ''

P.M.KOIVU

Keeping that in mind, Plek's sophomore year is bound to be a successfull one.

Keeping that in mind, Plek's sophomore year is bound to be a successfull one.

I think he will be given a chance to be the #2 center but this is not cast in stone. Bonk may play the #2 as well and I dont think Gainey is totally done with the team. So many guys with expiring contracts that may be attractive to teams willing to trade players with longer term contracts.

I think Plecanek on the third line will be great.

Everyone underestimates his offensive talents. He was one of the leading scorers when he was in Hamilton and i think he did pretty good for a rookie on a third line without any offensive linemates.

I was at the game last night and i can tell you that i think hw did really well.

He meshed pretty well with Kovy and Smasonov. He made sure Kovalev skated faster thats's for sure.

Plekanec will do great on the second line, Who will they put...Bonk.. I don't think so, if that line stays how it is and is very competative then more then half the time Plek will be playing between Sammy abd Kovy.

He has the speed, the moves, the shot, the passing, the brain..Theres no reason not to give him the chance.

And theres CHEMESTRY Somthing massivly missing last season.

Only way to know for sure if Plekanec belongs on the second line is to give him more playing and practice time with these guys.

They sounded like they had great chemistry last night but what game doesn't determine anything yet. This needs to be a constant thing if Plekanec will snag the second like center spot.

putting bonk isn't a great idea

he's really good defensively and has good chemistry with johnson

it would break up the third line

putting bonk isn't a great idea

he's really good defensively and has good chemistry with johnson

it would break up the third line

I agree that plek is the man for the 2nd line right now, but bonk has played all of one game on a line with johnson by my count...

Bonk has good chemistry with Latendresse. The problem here is if Bonk, Johnson and Latendresse get placed on the same line, this leaves Perezhogin no spot to play in aside the fourth. I think Perezhogin has to be slapped into the third line. Putting him on the fourth doesn't sound like a good idea with the grinder.

I proposed this when I thought Koivu was going to be out. Still a good idea, unless we get Gomez........noit with our current cap space, unless NJ agreed to eat some salary in the trade or something. Can you still do that?

I proposed this when I thought Koivu was going to be out. Still a good idea, unless we get Gomez........noit with our current cap space, unless NJ agreed to eat some salary in the trade or something. Can you still do that?

nope. no money can be exchanged in trades under the new CBA

Only way to know for sure if Plekanec belongs on the second line is to give him more playing and practice time with these guys.

They sounded like they had great chemistry last night but what game doesn't determine anything yet. This needs to be a constant thing if Plekanec will snag the second like center spot.

Agreed. I have a feeling that Plex will continue to have great chemistry with the Russians.

:hlogo: