Justin Williams

huzer

Another errant high stick last night, where he got his stick into Paul Gaustad's eye. Luckily, it hit just below his eye, so he was cut and had a nice shiner. I'm not one to hold a grudge against his player, but man...the league or someone has to do something to control his stick. Once again, he didn't get a penalty.

Sticks aren't the problems, the instigator rule and people whinning and trying to take violence out of the game is the problem. It's simple, Downey plays the first game against Carolina and drops the gloves and pounds him. Nothing cheap or attempt to injure just fight him. A little more of that action and players would stop all the high stick infractions.

Give him a "nerf" blade stick or something

better yet put a device on him that anytime the blade goes up a certain height it triggers a High Voltage zap to his nadds!

better yet put a device on him that anytime the blade goes up a certain height it triggers a High Voltage zap to his nadds!

now your talking!!

Sticks aren't the problems, the instigator rule and people whinning and trying to take violence out of the game is the problem. It's simple, Downey plays the first game against Carolina and drops the gloves and pounds him. Nothing cheap or attempt to injure just fight him. A little more of that action and players would stop all the high stick infractions.

Riiiight...

And if the cops were allowed to beat the crap out of anyone, there wouldn't be any crime anymore.

Pleeeaase. Quit it with the caveman Don-Cherryism already. As if there was no high-sticking in the old days... there was just few of them because the game wasnt as fast and players didnt had these shitty feather-weight modern stick. The instigator rule crap is just a cope out for people who get a hard-on watching two guys punch each other in the face.

If you don't like fighting that's fine, but i will bet you if the instigator rule quietly went away there would be less high sticking. In the old days you never saw the rash of highj sticking going on. Do you think Gretzky wasn't high sticked because they had wood sticks? Give me a break, he just had to be hit and Mcsorely would pound the other player. It's all the PC stuff going on that's ruining the game. Let me say it was a pleasure watching 40 minutes of power play action last night. Alot of those were simple clean hard hits.

If you take the violence and aggression out of hockey you'll have male figure skating.

Accidents happen

in my game last week a guy took a slapper from the point and it hit the corner post and flew out and hit my defensive partner in the face ... should I beat the crap out of the crossbar for injuring my friend ? :lol:

The instigator rule has nothing to do with high sticking - and it has been going on for a long time(ask Ted Green?)

Problem is that players have a lot less respect for players today than in the old days thanks to the armour they currently wear, and to a certain degree to the lightweight sticks.

However if you want a classic example of a guy that roamed wild and free with his stick, then you need look no further than Glenn Anderson.....

Man that guy was a stick waving bonanza, and far more often than not he went unpenalized for it.

It's not new - it just seems to be far more noticeable thanks to the transfer from masks at junior to no masks, heavy protection for players, a definite lack of respect and the feather toothpicks they call sticks today!

Head infractions and careless use of the stick should warrant an automatic penalty - pay the price for your stupidity?

Edited by beliveau1

As soon as i saw that, I wanted to run to Carolina get on the ice and beat the s!@t out of williams

The instigator rule has nothing to do with high sticking - and it has been going on for a long time(ask Ted Green?)

Problem is that players have a lot less respect for players today than in the old days thanks to the armour they currently wear, and to a certain degree to the lightweight sticks.

However if you want a classic example of a guy that roamed wild and free with his stick, then you need look no further than Glenn Anderson.....

Man that guy was a stick waving bonanza, and far more often than not he went unpenalized for it.

It's not new - it just seems to be far more noticeable thanks to the transfer from masks at junior to no masks, heavy protection for players, a definite lack of respect and the feather toothpicks they call sticks today!

Head infractions and careless use of the stick should warrant an automatic penalty - pay the price for your stupidity?

I couldn't agree more. Players now are conditioned to not having to worry about their stick thanks to the masks in junior and the kevlar they call pads.

Multiple incidents of this type of thing should be reviewed by the league...even if it didn't get a penalty in the games.

Just to clarify last night's situation, Williams was skating with his stick shoulder high in one direction behind the net, Gaustad came in the other direction, and that's when it hit him. Just completely careless on Williams' part. Gaustad went down in a heap, nobody saw it, so there's no penalty. Grrr. After so many infractions with a high stick, I think a player needs to be suspended.

Beating the crap out of him might fix it, but it might be more civilized to give this guy some penalties. No call on Koivu, then again on Markov next game, and now this. It seems the league is turning a "blind eye".

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

:D :hlogo:

Tooth for a tooth, eye for an eye... poke him with a highstick so he feels how it is and he might start thinking twice. Lets have an ol' time shapshot stickfight. Tim "Dr. Hook" McKracken vs. The Killer (dont remember his full name)

Beating the crap out of Williams probably won't stop his high-sticking.

Ripping his arms off will -- where's Ivanov when we need him?

I'll just dispell this crazy instigator rhetoric with one nice example:

Petr Stastny was from the old Euro school that knew how to use their sticks as weapons. Stastny was a master at using his stick to leave marks in his opponents' faces. He'd make a long pass or fall or turn around and slash other players. He made it look so innocent and often did it behind the refs' back, it was infuriating. He never seriously injured someone, but he came close very often.

Yet during all those years, and at the height of the Habs-Nords rivalry, never did Chris Nilan go straight at Statsny to "teach him a lesson" or whatever.

Why?

Because if there's any unwritten rule about fights, its that goons dont jump skilled players. Because what comes around goes around and next thing you know their goon is running after our skilled players.

Goons fight goons. If anyone has to jump Williams, it should be Koivu himself. And that's never gonna happen, instigator rule or not. The time for someone else to to jump Williams was right then when the play happened. If doesn't happen right there and then -- instigator rule or not -- then it'll never happen and should never happen.

I'll just dispell this crazy instigator rhetoric with one nice example:

Petr Stastny was from the old Euro school that knew how to use their sticks as weapons. Stastny was a master at using his stick to leave marks in his opponents' faces. He'd make a long pass or fall or turn around and slash other players. He made it look so innocent and often did it behind the refs' back, it was infuriating. He never seriously injured someone, but he came close very often.

Yet during all those years, and at the height of the Habs-Nords rivalry, never did Chris Nilan go straight at Statsny to "teach him a lesson" or whatever.

Why?

Because if there's any unwritten rule about fights, its that goons dont jump skilled players. Because what comes around goes around and next thing you know their goon is running after our skilled players.

Goons fight goons. If anyone has to jump Williams, it should be Koivu himself. And that's never gonna happen, instigator rule or not. The time for someone else to to jump Williams was right then when the play happened. If doesn't happen right there and then -- instigator rule or not -- then it'll never happen and should never happen.

I have to agree with KoZed here! Although I am not a fan of the instigator rule, because it is called when two tough guys drop the gloves and no one gets hurt. But honestly when was the last instigator penalty you can remember being called, I can not remember the Habs taking even one last year!

I have to agree with KoZed here! Although I am not a fan of the instigator rule, because it is called when two tough guys drop the gloves and no one gets hurt. But honestly when was the last instigator penalty you can remember being called, I can not remember the Habs taking even one last year!

last night in the Ottawa toronto game I believe was the last instigators penalty.

I am old school and believe that it is important to the moral of a team to know somebody is going to step in and defend your key players if they are the victim of a cheap shot, be it a knee to knee, high stick or hit from behind. If you don't have this teams will continue to take liberties with your stars.

As for the shot off the post hitting your defenceman in the face, the is a clear accident, beat the post up if you must. On the other hand, if the guy had sucker punched your buddy in the face, dropping him so he couldn't fight for himself, man up and drop the gloves to defend him.

Why is it okay to shoot people in Afganastan to protect your fellow soldier and your beliefs but not okay to punch an agressor in the face? Those who have never played tend to feel this is a violent sport, those who played understand, wether they admit it or not.

It would have been a different outcome last playoff if we had someone who was willing to straighten out this guy. My opinion. Nobody did and the heart of the team was gone.

Did any of you see Philly/Pitts last night? Crosby stood up to Foresburg and got a stick in the face for it. No penalty for the high stick. If the league is going to continue to allow such idiodic play to go unpunished, I for one hope we see a rash of fighting break out to make a point that the players wont stand for it. How else will it ever end?

my take -- three times means Williams can't get away with the "accidental" excuse, this guy is a menace with his stick and the league has failed to address it.

The time for someone else to to jump Williams was right then when the play happened. If doesn't happen right there and then -- instigator rule or not -- then it'll never happen and should never happen.

There wasn't a clear understanding of what had happened at the time though, no penalty etc, I agree with your sentiments but can't fault the Habs on the ice at the time as it was fast and required replays to see what Williams had actually done. Strongly believe that now, whenever Williams is in town, he should be the default target for every self-respecting goon in the league.

Why is it okay to shoot people in Afganastan to protect your fellow soldier and your beliefs but not okay to punch an agressor in the face? Those who have never played tend to feel this is a violent sport, those who played understand, wether they admit it or not.

because, despite advertizing slogans to the contrary, hockey is not war.

because, despite advertizing slogans to the contrary, hockey is not war.

Well, I beg to differ. Hockey is war on ice. The difference is you can't shoot someone, but you can repeatedly punch him in the face. The rules say you can, or even hit him in the face with your stick. There are penelties for it, but it is legal and happens every night. My point is simply that the only way to deter the opposition from doing the dirty stuff to you is for them to know they will be hurt in return. The threat of a penalty is not a deterent when you relize that an avg player like Williams can end the carreer of a star player and face a 4 minute penalty "IF" the ref see fit to call it. Now, if the same avg player knows in the back of his mind that if he gets his stick up on that same star there is a very large man on the bench that is going to hurt him real bad I promise he thinks twice before raising his stick.

If the league was to change the rules so that all injuries due to contact went to a board for review, and a punishment that fit the injury and crime was levied, I would agree that no physical retaliation was called for. Sort of like if Afganastan had said, our bad, here is Bin Laden and his followers, do with them as the courts see fit. Then we wouldn't have Canadians fighting over there. Thus my point of drawing a comparison.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen