Movies

habs_in_the_blood

There's a difference. Here we're talking about two good movies that actually have similar themese, were made in similar eras and were even directed by the same man. With Pirates, you're arguing that a 2 star movie is better than a 4 star movie.

Of course, people can like some movies better than other movies or appreciate some more than others, but it doesn't mean that no one is right or wrong. If someone says Baby Geniuses is the greatest movie they ever saw... well, they have bad taste in movies. That's it.

Which isn't a right or wrong thing. Saying someone has bad taste in movies is just an arrogant way of saying "I disagree with you".

Your age really shows in that argument BTH.

Well, I just got done watching the first Lord of the Rings, and it met my expectations. Granted, my expectations weren't that high. I didn't expect to like it a whole lot and I didn't. I found myself not really caring what was gonna happen to any of the characters. I definitely don't see how so many people rank it up there with the original Star Wars trilogy. Heck, I liked Phantom Menance better than I liked Fellowship of the Ring.

I'll still watch the other two, but only so people stop asking me why I haven't seen them yet.

Oh, yeah, I'm pulling a jetsniper here. I know I'm probably own my own on this one, so I won't feel the need to defend it.

You're not, actually, haha. I thought the first one was pretty bad too but I love the second and third ones.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a difference. Here we're talking about two good movies that actually have similar themese, were made in similar eras and were even directed by the same man. With Pirates, you're arguing that a 2 star movie is better than a 4 star movie.

Where is it universally stated that Pirates 1 is a 4 star movie? What if i thought it deserved 2 stars? Is that not allowed?

For example, I actually like Angels in the Outfield better than the Godfather. That definitely goes against the norm, so i guess i'm not allowed to have this opinion?

nope arts are what you make of it. Hello abstract art. The cynic would say that its just paint thrown up against the wall while the artist would say that its something completely different.

Art is sort of like that saying What's someone else's trash is another person's treasure.

LOTR's don't really become bad ass awesomery until the second movie.

nope arts are what you make of it. Hello abstract art. The cynic would say that its just paint thrown up against the wall while the artist would say that its something completely different.

Art is sort of like that saying What's someone else's trash is another person's treasure.

Someone mark it on the calendar.

June 17th, 2007: I agreed with an ENTIRE PTG post. ;)

By the way, if you thought they were considered 3 of the best movies of all time due to IMDB's rankings, those are off. There are ton of LOTR fanboys who troll around IMDB voting 10s for the LOTR movies over and over again and that's why their ratings are so inflated. I'm sure POTC and the Harry Potter movies also have a fair share of those though they're not rated that highly.

No, I don't even know what their IMDB ratings are. I just know that I never hear people say anything about LOTR except that they're so amazing.

But how can the second and third ones be better now that Sean Bean is dead! :lol: Seriously, though, has he ever played a good guy? Flightplan, The Island, National Treasure, and Patriot Games just off the top of my head. He wasn't exactly a bad guy in Fellowship, but he wasn't exactly good either.

IMDB ratings are a sham, just like any critic's review. The only way for me to determine how good a movie is, is for me to watch it. Period.

Fanpuck, I don't think he has been a good guy. Theres also his most recent movie The Hitcher where he's the killer and then of course Goldeneye where he plays Trevelyn.

IMDB ratings are a sham, just like any critic's review. The only way for me to determine how good a movie is, is for me to watch it. Period.

Fanpuck, I don't think he has been a good guy. Theres also his most recent movie The Hitcher where he's the killer and then of course Goldeneye where he plays Trevelyn.

Actually, I like critics. When critics hate something, chances are I'll love it. Vice versa is also true a lot of the time.

Of course, how could I forget Goldeneye?

On a sidenote, I love the movie Hitch.

You know I've only seen seen half of the film. I like it too. Although I like pretty much any movie Will Smith does.

Me too, I really like Will Smith. I actually thought Wild Wild West was a pretty decent flick.

As for current movies, I just bought Ghost Rider today to maintain my Marvel collection (have every Marvel movie made) and also bought the Iron Man gift set. You get The Avengers 1 and 2 plus The Incredible Iron Man and this little Iron Man figurine. All 3 movies are animated.

Also went to the theaters and saw Fantastic Four 2.

Of course, people can like some movies better than other movies or appreciate some more than others, but it doesn't mean that no one is right or wrong. If someone says Baby Geniuses is the greatest movie they ever saw... well, they have bad taste in movies. That's it.

I know the babies from Baby Geniuses. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm not a huge fan of Samuel L. Jackson but I think Jackie Brown is one of his better movies. I haven't seen it in quite a while. My brother gave me the DVD for Christmas or a birthday - that must've been at least three or four years ago now. It's still got the plastic on the cover, I haven't even opened it yet. Hmm. I've gotta watch it again sometime soon.

Jackie Brown is one of the nex tones on my list.

In my bag, right nex tto me I now have:

Ferris Bueller (which I've already watched)

2001: A Space Odyssey

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Blood Diamond

The Departed

The Prestige

The Guardian

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Johnny Depp version, not Gene Wilder)

I think I'm gonna go watch Blood Diamond in a cuople of minutes.

Where is it universally stated that Pirates 1 is a 4 star movie? What if i thought it deserved 2 stars? Is that not allowed?

Of course you're allowed to not like a movie even if most people think it's good. But if someone took a camera and filmed the action in the park for 15 minutes and then put it in theatres, it wouldn't exactly be acceptable. For it to even be considered art it has to have atleast some effort and time put into it. Anyways, wouldn't that mean that any essay you ever write in school should not be marked because it's unfair to grade "art" with a rigid number? We should start a petition.

Hahahaha...since when have essays ever been considered an artistic piece? Probably would've been better to use a short story.

I really wouldn't bother with the argument anymore BTH, it really does seem to escape you.

Hahahaha...since when have essays ever been considered an artistic piece? Probably would've been better to use a short story.

I really wouldn't bother with the argument anymore BTH, it really does seem to escape you.

Yepp, essays are not art because there is no creativity behind them. Poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction and feature writing however are all considered art.

Yepp, essays are not art because there is no creativity behind them. Poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction and feature writing however are all considered art.

Exactly, you use the "insert direction" side of your brain for essays while art would come from the opposite side.

What is it? Left is creative and right is scientific or is it the other way? I can never remember.

Yeah, watched there even though I have the DVD, hehe.

Yeah, I wanted to watch it on TBS too but I'd already planned to go see Fantastic 4 (which I was surprised to see won the weekend. It's still not great but definitely better then the first. Inclusion of the Fantasti-Car FTW.) I don't have the DVD =(

Exactly, you use the "insert direction" side of your brain for essays while art would come from the opposite side.

What is it? Left is creative and right is scientific or is it the other way? I can never remember.

Writing an essay is a technical skill and it's purpose is to argue, not create.