Game Thread | Calgary Vs. Montreal | 10/17/06

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! Congrats Habs! Not an easy game. Great to get the win! Streit played a good 1st game. Even Kovalev was more "present" tonight. Great to see the 3rd line able to create some offense! Yeay!!

Great game, some good saves by Huet at the end, and good job by the team on the peanalty kill

How did you get fireworks?

Edited by Shu

Firepower resulted in a win. Terribly sloppy in our own end (Huet left alone with a man cross-crease on two of the goals), jobbed by the referee to an extent, but still got a win. Good character-building game.

Oh, and another thing: watching Phaneuf and Iginla behaving like jackasses out there at times, I couldn't help but finding myself lamenting that we don't have a scrapper. Both deserved to get tuned.

Firepower resulted in a win. Terribly sloppy in our own end (Huet left alone with a man cross-crease on two of the goals), jobbed by the referee to an extent, but still got a win. Good character-building game.

Oh, and another thing: watching Phaneuf and Iginla behaving like jackasses out there at times, I couldn't help but finding myself lamenting that we don't have a scrapper. Both deserved to get tuned.

we dont have room for a scrapper, what happend to Simpson? did he get dropped

I just realized that BONK backwards is KNOB. He was anything but that tonight.

haha I realized that like 5 minutes ago. They showed Bonk's jersey on the screen and it said his name in those big stitched letters. And it just occurred to me. And then I tried thinking of puns with the word knob but I couldn't think of anything. :P

After 20 minutes of play:

Shots: 13-8 Habs

Hits: 9-7 Habs

Takeaways: 7-1 Habs

Giveaways: 6-2 Habs

Blocked shots: 5-2 Habs

Missed shots: 3-2 Flames

Faceoffs: 11-5 Habs

After 40 minutes of play:

Shots: 29-18 Habs

Hits: 14-12 Habs

Takeaways: 10-6 Habs

Giveaways: 10-5 Habs

Blocked shots: 10-7 Habs

Missed shots: 14-8 Flames

Faceoffs: 23-14 Habs :blink:

After 60 minutes of play:

Shots: 36-24 Habs

Hits: 19-16 Habs

Takeaways: 15-8 Habs

Giveaways: 18-6 Habs

Blocked shots: 21-13 Habs

Missed shots: 18-11 Flames

Faceoffs: 33-21 Habs

ana1.png

anaC.png

CANADIENS 5 - 4 FLAMES

1.Bégin | A+ | What a period for Bégin. He was all over the place.. forechecking, backchecking, coming up with short-handed rushes and 3 seconds later he clears the puck and then gets a hit, etc. Good show Steve.

2.Huet | B+ | The Cristowall goes up in the third. 'nuff said.

3.Souray/Rivet | B | I give the duo a solid B for their third period effort. A lot of people have been hating on Souray/Rivet lately, but they play with passion, they stick up for one another, they've got "A"s on their jerseys for a reason. Solid effort.

4.Kovalev | B- | After his dynamite 2nd period, the Russian Rifle put it on cruise control, and although he had a few good plays, nothing extraordinary like in the second.

5.Niinimaa | C+ | That period wasn't so hot for Niims. He looked sloppy one a couple of plays and accidently shot the puck over the boards for a 2 minute penalty, though i can't fault him too much for that. It happens. C+ for the period, but a B for the game overall. I'm starting to like this guy a lot.

6.Carbonneau | A | Great coaching moves this round. A lot of subtle decisions may have had a large overall impact. Such as when Guy put the third line on for the last 45 seconds of the power play in the 3rd. Use the time to rest up the 1st and 2nd lines for the last couple of minutes of the game, ensure the win. Little details matter.

PK Unit | A | Another well-deserved A for the short-handed squad.

anaD.png

Overall a good game by the Habs tonight. 4 goals against will hurt Huet's stats, but i still think he played okay and the goalie race is definitely still on. It's still too close to call. Against some of Calgary's shots tonight, i don't think Aebischer would have faired much better.

Great effort by the Habs tonight. It's great to see them motivated. Bon travail les gars!

8 points out of a possible 10. Great start to the season.

Cataclaw's game puck: Steve Bégin

Bégin really impressed me tonight. I like his play every night, but tonight.. wow. Hitting left and right (how many hits that game? i lost count), backchecking, forechecking, pokechecking, everythingchecking, rushing short-handed, etc.