Buffalos undefeated streak to end tomorrow.

johnnyhasbeen

Don't you guys remember last year? The Habs were one of the hottest teams in the NHL and had already beaten Buffalo twice. Then Dumont says that Buffalo's gonna spank Montreal next game. Everyone started laughing, saying what a silly thing to say, Buffalo has not shot, Montreal's gonna be all fired up, yada yada. Well guess what, they did smoke us.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thread says: Niinima Predicts Victory

Well boy aren't the Sabre tooth buffaloes are having a laugh now. A what 6th or 7th defencemen on the depth chart predicts victory? LOL! Thats like saying a stick boy garunteeing a win. LOL!

Like I said, Buffalo did the EXACT same thing last year. Mind you, it was Dumont compared to Niinimaa, but essentially the same situation.

I love his comments.

Everyone (see: Media, fans) are acting like the habs have a losing record, when in fact we've lost only one regulation game.

I think people are giving the sabres way too much credit, way too much. People are saying "well the sabres weren't hitting their stride when they played the habs last", well either were the habs. Our goaltending has been less than brilliant so far, save a few games by Abby.

Personally, it'd make me play harder (not like you'd need motivation to play against a divisional opponet) if someone had the guts to say what Ninny said.

For years people have been saying the habs are too small, not tough enough, and now that someone steps up with a little swagger, everyone knocks him? Doesn't make sense.

I posted this topic before Janne made his comment, don't know who editted my topic. But for the record, I promised the win before him, so when we win tonight, remember, he was only quoting me to the press....

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

My god! I would feel better if it was Souray (7pts) or Higgs (pt leader) who said that. But this is friggin Niinima! This guy has done NOTHING on this team. Granted it is still early, but this is one of the reasons he got dealt from Dallas, he can't keep his trap shut. personally I'm not worried about the comment firing up Buffalo, I'm just worried about the Habs looking stupid if they lose big tonight. Lesson learned, put Ninny on an 8 second delay like the Don.

I prefer to hear honesty than the "<enter team name> is a great team and we'll have to work hard tonight", why bothering interviewing players if they're going to give the same old crap.

Of course there is a line where you can be too honest in a situation.

To be honest, who cares?

If Janne or anybody else on the team doesn't think they'll win against Buffalo, then they don't deserve to play on the 2006-07 Montreal Canadiens. This team is good enough where they should expect to win every game, and be pissed off if they don't.

And if any Buffalo players require extra motivation to beat what appears to be their closest division rival, then I'm guessing Lindy Ruff doesn't want them on his team either.

I think people are giving the sabres way too much credit, way too much. People are saying "well the sabres weren't hitting their stride when they played the habs last", well either were the habs. Our goaltending has been less than brilliant so far, save a few games by Abby.

Our goaltending has been less than brilliant because our goaltenders are less than brilliant. Get used to it, you will be stating that quite a bit this season. We are not as good as the Sabers offensively as well as defensively and we don't have the goaltending they have. If Miller goes down with an injury we may be able to beat them, otherwise you better get used to the Sabers beating us, cause we still have to play them 6 more times.

My god! I would feel better if it was Souray (7pts) or Higgs (pt leader) who said that. But this is friggin Niinima! This guy has done NOTHING on this team. Granted it is still early, but this is one of the reasons he got dealt from Dallas, he can't keep his trap shut. personally I'm not worried about the comment firing up Buffalo, I'm just worried about the Habs looking stupid if they lose big tonight. Lesson learned, put Ninny on an 8 second delay like the Don.

That's exactly it. Ninimma doesn't have the power to guarantee a win, if your starting goalie or leading scorer says it, then hopefully they can back it up. But when a no-talent defenseman says it...who literally has contributed nothing to the team this year makes a statement like that, he must be looking around the room afterwards and saying, "Okay I said it so you guys better make good because you all know I have nothing to contribute." Wanker!!!!!

So you're saying that a couple of bad games out weigh all the good Huet did last year? If the sabres goaltending with suspect this early on in the year, would be claiming they didn't have good goaltending?

I disagree that the habs goaltending is less than brilliant overall, just so far it has been.

I love when people say certain players in the NHL have no talent, with ALL the leagues around the world, the NHL is the best, and he's in the NHL, he must have some talent..somewheres don't you think? You do not have to be the best player to have confidence in your own team, he never claimed HE was single handley going to win the game, he said he had confidence in his OWN team and they were going to win. I respect him a whole lot for saying this.

Meh everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it's very negative.

Yep, i agree bar, everyone always blames the goaltending. Which strangely has not been the problem with this team for many years. I think it's funny that someone said it was ok for Souray (9pts) or Higgins to say they'll win but not Niinimaa.

So you're saying that a couple of bad games out weigh all the good Huet did last year? If the sabres goaltending with suspect this early on in the year, would be claiming they didn't have good goaltending?

I disagree that the habs goaltending is less than brilliant overall, just so far it has been.

I love when people say certain players in the NHL have no talent, with ALL the leagues around the world, the NHL is the best, and he's in the NHL, he must have some talent..somewheres don't you think? You do not have to be the best player to have confidence in your own team, he never claimed HE was single handley going to win the game, he said he had confidence in his OWN team and they were going to win. I respect him a whole lot for saying this.

Meh everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it's very negative.

I don't take anything away from what Huet did last year, he was fantastic, but so was Steve Penny his first year in a Habs uniform. The point I was making was that he had absolutely nothing to lose, he came in when the Habs looked to be down and out anyway, noone expected anything of him and he stood on his head, that happens occasionally. The problem is now he is looked at under a microscope everyday with a big contract and he just can't live up to it. I just don't think people should expect him to play like he did for the last 30+ games of the year last year because it's not going to happen, he is in a whole new headspace now with more pressure on his shoulders than any goalie in the possibly the world right now. This from a guy that has had little to absolutely no pressure on him his entire professional career.

As for Niinimma, I don't think he has no talent, he does have talent, that obvious because like you said he is in the best league in the world,....however for this league he is below above par, sure if he was in the AHL I would say he is great, but he's not and the caliber of play is a lot higher and his talent level is just not there, I can respect BG for taking a chance on him because the potential for him to return to form was there I just don't think it's going to happen, a case of "you win some, you lose some."

The confidence he had in his team is fine but to say it to reporters who in turn gave it to Buffalo for ammo is foolish. After the game Brian Campbell stated that "we knew what he said and we were well aware of how we had to play". My point on this was simply, 'if you can't change the outcome of a game don't predict a win and put that on the players who are responsible for the outcome'. He is in no position to say anything publicly because he ....sucks. That just puts added pressure on Huet, Higgins, Souray and Koivu. The players that we expect to win us games. It was bonehead comment by a bonehead player.

I'm not going to make excuses for Huet, but I think he hasn't gotten enough action. Imagine how you'd play knowing one bad game, and you get replaced by the backup, its almost looks like he's trying too hard.

On the other hand, Abby looks terrible on rebounds, where as Huet has good rebound control. Abby seems to be beaten mostly (in my non-researched opinion) by the rebounds he gives up, where as Huets goals are up high.

It's been said by every expert out there that the key to beating Huet and Abby is going up high, do you think Molansen (spelling?) is trying to work on that? I've seen a greated percentage of shots go up high this year, or maybe I'm just paying attention to it more.

Any player on the ice be it 1st liner, 4th liner, 7th defenceman has the opportunity to change the outcome of the game, I still think Ninnys comments had no bearing on the outcome of the game.

Yup, it was a dumb thing to say, but I don't think the Sabres are too worried about other players commens. Just look at their record, PERFECT. The one guy that is going to have to bail out the Habs is Huet. He is DUE for a good game.

Too much is being made of this... seriously, reporters should come up with better stories, instead of over stating the obvious. Atheletes play to win not lose and thier intentions are to win... Niinimaa did nothing wrong but show courage and desire to win. He did not mock the sabres or predict a win over the last place team... He just felt this team is good enough to compete with the best.

Imagine what you guys would be saying if, I don't know say Jaroslav Spacek guaranteed a win against Montreal.

I'm sure that Ninimaa's comments motivated the Sabres - no team wants to hear their opponents trash talking

I don't see what the issue is. We need a little bit of swagger on this team, whomever it comes from. Kovy made a few of those types of comments (not necessarily predictions) last year and I loved it.

And incidentally, the jury's still out on both Huet and Niinimaa - 10 games is way too small of a sampling to start proclaiming one a one-season wonder and the other washed up.

I don't take anything away from what Huet did last year, he was fantastic, but so was Steve Penny his first year in a Habs uniform. The point I was making was that he had absolutely nothing to lose, he came in when the Habs looked to be down and out anyway, noone expected anything of him and he stood on his head, that happens occasionally. The problem is now he is looked at under a microscope everyday with a big contract and he just can't live up to it. I just don't think people should expect him to play like he did for the last 30+ games of the year last year because it's not going to happen, he is in a whole new headspace now with more pressure on his shoulders than any goalie in the possibly the world right now. This from a guy that has had little to absolutely no pressure on him his entire professional career.

As for Niinimma, I don't think he has no talent, he does have talent, that obvious because like you said he is in the best league in the world,....however for this league he is below above par, sure if he was in the AHL I would say he is great, but he's not and the caliber of play is a lot higher and his talent level is just not there, I can respect BG for taking a chance on him because the potential for him to return to form was there I just don't think it's going to happen, a case of "you win some, you lose some."

The confidence he had in his team is fine but to say it to reporters who in turn gave it to Buffalo for ammo is foolish. After the game Brian Campbell stated that "we knew what he said and we were well aware of how we had to play". My point on this was simply, 'if you can't change the outcome of a game don't predict a win and put that on the players who are responsible for the outcome'. He is in no position to say anything publicly because he ....sucks. That just puts added pressure on Huet, Higgins, Souray and Koivu. The players that we expect to win us games. It was bonehead comment by a bonehead player.

He's not a bonehead! His only mistake was saying it to a reporter in Montreal. Theres nothing wrong with having a bit of a cocky edge at all, it's just about the when and the where that you choose to strut it. Lesson learned I hope about doing it in a hockey hotbed like Montreal, as compared to down yonder in the state of Texas.....

Edited by beliveau1