Chemistry and Center Solution

cfposi

Hey all, I was wondering if trading Kovalev for a GREAT center would be a wise choice this year. Reasons:

1) Kovalev seems to be losing patience with this team and it is coming out in his effort.

2) Having a leader who thinks his Sh*t doesn't stink. (regardless of what people think, he is a leader).

3) Not really a team player to begin with, better suited for a team like Boston and Peonix who rely on individual talent.

4) We have the depth on the wings, what we really need to a strong playmaking center who can help Sammy and the 2nd line explode.

Just a thought, I actually like Kovalev, but am trying to think of the overall team benefit. What do you think?

Who would your first choice be for a Kovalev Trade?

Well I really like that Kovalev got angry when he got kneed and there was no call, he did take it to far but as he said he does not to protect himself.

If Kovalev could land the habs an amazing Centre it could possibly be worth it but do not forget the clutch points that Kovalev scored for the habs.

It is only 9 games into the season and the Habs are doing pretty well, I don;t believe Kovalev is going anywhere but what do I know.

I really have no idea who I would want but what team is willing to trade a #1 Centre right now? My guess would be no one, not yet anyway.

I would be happy to move Kovalev for a quality centre, and I think BG would be too, however I don't think a trade would present itself that would give us what we need. Kovalev is on his way down because of age and therefore doesn't make him that appealing to other teams considering his $4+ million salary. I think Kovy will be with us for the year, only because he does bring upside to the team when he actually comes to play.

I like Kovalev as much as the nexy guy, but these are the facts: he is 33 years old, and makes $4 mil+ per year; he has a reputation for loafing/being lazy/not playing hard every night; he hasn't scored 30 goals since 2002-03.

Kovalev would be an important and useful player for any team that trades for him, but I simply don't think he would net very much. Remember, the last time he was traded, it was for Josef Balej and a 2nd round pick.

I like Kovalev as much as the nexy guy, but these are the facts: he is 33 years old, and makes $4 mil+ per year; he has a reputation for loafing/being lazy/not playing hard every night; he hasn't scored 30 goals since 2002-03.

Kovalev would be an important and useful player for any team that trades for him, but I simply don't think he would net very much. Remember, the last time he was traded, it was for Josef Balej and a 2nd round pick.

Keep in mind that the last time he was traded he was an UFA at the end of a year. It was Balej for a rental. He is now under contract and worth more.

There are teams out there that would make this move. I am not sure what we could get straight up, but we have an extra goalie and plenty of crappy defensemen to ah.. sweeten the pot. :)

I wouldn't mind if we got either a good center today, or at least a top notch prospect center (not AHL prospect, but one who could play now with way more upside then Pleks).

All that said, I don't think it is going to happen. I do think that they need to do the Jagr thing. Remember how bad he was? Then the Rangers said to him.. who do you want to be your center and they built the team around him. He has been awesome!

Perhaps they should go to Kovy and say, who do you want us to go get to be your center (and Crosby doesn't count :) ). There might just be a decent guy out there that Kovy wants and we can afford.

There is a difference between passion and bitching IMO. The hit he dolled out to tucker last year was passion. Last night was just unsportsmanlike bullsh*t. I really appreciate this guy's talent, but if it is always on his terms, than he should be dealt. The Habs need a team player more than an individual talent. Look at Saku, he is not the biggest talent on the ice, but his personality and team attitude makes him a priceless asset. Just a thought...

I really doubt Kovalev gets traded. Even with the Habs having good depth at wing, I'm sure the Habs would want to give a guy in the system a chance before resorting into a trade. What does that mean? Bring back Higgins to center or call up Grabovski.

There is a difference between passion and bitching IMO. The hit he dolled out to tucker last year was passion. Last night was just unsportsmanlike bullsh*t. I really appreciate this guy's talent, but if it is always on his terms, than he should be dealt. The Habs need a team player more than an individual talent. Look at Saku, he is not the biggest talent on the ice, but his personality and team attitude makes him a priceless asset. Just a thought...

Unsportmanlike, yes... Passionate, yes...

Hopefully in the future, Kovy will express himself in a more appropriate manner.

This isn't directed at you, cfposi, but everyone in general. Everyone has a bad day, let's not blow it out of proportion.

Unsportmanlike, yes... Passionate, yes...

Hopefully in the future, Kovy will express himself in a more appropriate manner.

This isn't directed at you, cfposi, but everyone in general. Everyone has a bad day, let's not blow it out of proportion.

Maybe they should replace the introductory team song "Fix You - Coldplay" with "Bad Day - Daniel Powter".

alright, just kidding. I heard that song -Bad day- all summer ( :puke: ) on the radio. Coldplay rocks

Kovalev is a good player.

But he wouldn't net that "great centre" in return. He has talent, but is 33 years old and seemingly on the downside of his career. And part of the reason the Habs need a good centre is to get one that can complement Kovalev.

Last night he had a bad day, so far he's been having a iffy start - but I have faith that Kovalev can get it into gear. At some point he'll get it going. So relax and have faith.

I love Kovalev and I'm happy to agree he would only get us a now a proven early 30's second line centreman or a unproven top prosepct centerman still in the AHL. not more than that... so unless he is summed in a package with Sammy and draft picks he can't get us that Centreman we need ... but then we lack the wingers!

Well I was glad to see ribs go :hlogo: were never going to win with that skinny/slow /lazy punk. That leaves us with a problem I don't think we can go past the second round with KOIVU/PLEKANEC/BONK/BEGIN.Mind you I like all 4 of them but unless PLEKANEC or BONK can step it up and become an offensive centre we will not score enough goals to win. Putting HIGGINS as the second line centre I think would be a bad move, I wouldn't break up KOIVU HIGGINS RYDER.I don't see anyone in the minors that can help us LOCKE is a RIBS clone,CHIPCHURA is going to be a great third line centre and MAXIM is going to be a good energy player. That leaves free agents and there are only 2 centres out there ALLISON, he is a good passer and would help on the second pp unit , but i think he is too slow to play 16 - 18 minutes a game in the new NHL, PERREAULT I liked him when he was in MONTREAL we all know what he brings to the table great at faceoffs and has a good scoring touch, we all know his weakness as well small not phyiscal,not good defensive. I really don't see any of the guys on the team stepping up or anyone in the minors or any free agents. That leaves BOB GAINEY with only 1 thing he can do make a TRADE. Here are 10 centres that might fit and or might be on the move later in the season.

1 DOAN = He would be the perfect fit for the second line in MONTREAL. He is big 6'2 220 and scored 30 goals plus he is a phyiscal player. He is also the type of centre that would go to the net and this could let KOVALEV and SAMSONOV carry the puck alot. makes 3.2 million and is a free agent at the end of the year and it looks like phoenix isn't going to make the playoffs

2 COMRIE= He would be a fit mostly cause he will be on the move this year if he isn't signed before the trade deadline. He is small so he wouldn't help MONTREAL in the phyiscal department, but he is an offensive upgrade from what we have on the second line. he makes 3 million and is a free agent at the end of the year and it looks like phoenix isn't going to make the playoffs.

3 CONROY= HE has been a good player for years but has got off to a bad start in LA. He would be good between KOVALEV & SAMSONOV because he is a great defensive centre and is a good offensive centre. MONTREAL could get him fairly cheap because it looks like LA will be out of the playoffs and they have some young players at centre that they want to give the minutes to. It could be risky because CONROY has this year and next year left on his contract and he makes 2.4 million a year. I think MONTREAL could get him for a draft pick.

4 MORRISON= He isn't playing well in VAN and could be had for the right deal. MORRISON is a good 2 way centre and he knows how to play between to offensive wingers. He is making 3.2 million and will be a free agent after the 07/08 season.

5 FORSBERG= He would be the best centre we could get but he might cost to much. I think the flyers will trade him if they are not in the playoff race and whoever gets this guy could go all the way. We would have 2 great lines with this guy in the lineup. He is a free ageant at the end of the season and he makes 5.8 million a year.

6 LANG= He played with KOVALEV before and might be the guy that lights a fire under him. Not sure if detroit wants to trade him but if so he might work in MONTREAL.He is a free agent at the end of the season and makes 3.8 million a year.

7 SMOLINSKI= He might be an upgrade and worth getting cause it wouldn't costs us alot i am sure. He is a free agent at the end of the year and makes 1.5 million a year.

8 NIEUWENDYK= He is old but might have 1 good playoff left in him. He makes2.2 million a year and is a free agent at the end of the year.

9 STUMPEL= He is big and has offensive upside andmakes 1.7 million a year and is a free agent at the end of the year.

10 ZUBRUS= HE is big and has offensive tools but he floats alot and might not be a good fit in MONTREAL but he could be better than what we have.

What do you guys think, can GAINEY pull off a block buster and get FORSBERG, or does he go for the type of player we need in DOAN, or does he get CONROY for a cheap price or does he get 1 of the other guys that might be hit or miss or does he get someone i have not mentioned????????

Kovalev can throw all the fits he wants during the regular season, Bob would never do away with him because he shows up in the PLAYOFFS consistently.

We do need a centre though. I don't know why Bob doesn't put Bonk between Samsonov and Kovalev.

Follow the case of Legwand closely. Also, don't be surprised, when our defensive corps gets healthy, to see Souray and one of our youngsters (Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Plekanec) dangled in a Marleau-type deal. If only Dandy and Franky would get healthy now while Souray's worth is at a huge high...

Follow the case of Legwand closely. Also, don't be surprised, when our defensive corps gets healthy, to see Souray and one of our youngsters (Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Plekanec) dangled in a Marleau-type deal. If only Dandy and Franky would get healthy now while Souray's worth is at a huge high...

As much as I would love to see Marleau come to Montreal I really doubt that could happen, he is pretty cheap for what he brings at a 4.25 cap hit.

And do you honestly see Bob trading Kostitsyn or Perezhogin before they get an honest shot at a top line role with the big club.

Legwand is often compared to Mike Ribeiro in the sense of under-achieving players with loads of potentiel.

One thing about Legwand is he does have the size but I don't see this as a possible option.