dandenault could be back next week

MAK

heard on the radio that Mathieu dandenault as started practicing and could be back by next week.

that said, who's going to get the boot ?? streit or niinima ??

I hope it's niinima, he asn't done anything thus far and I love the way streit is playing right now( except for that mistake yesterday).

I would scratch Niinimaa.. I thought he looked awful last night, especially on the PP. He just can't keep the puck in and he makes dumb plays. I game on the bench might wake him up.

That said, i fully expect that it will be Streit who sits. :(

I think we will be dressing 7 Dmen when Dandenault comes back. Streit is playing too well to be a regular scratch. He is coming along quite nicely now and I think he needs to keep playing to keep improving.

Niinimaa has cut down on his errors over the past 3 or 4 games.

Given Higgins' injury, I think Carbo will go with 7 defencemen.

Edited by Peter Puck

dandenault allows niinimaa to move back to his natural side, correct?

In the short time niinimaa and dandenault played together I felt they looked very good.

Yup. That's right.

Good news. That pair was probably our most reliable one before Dandy got injured. They were also getting better and better with each game. Hope they pick up where they left off.

I think Carbo might want to keep dressing Streit for situations like last night when Souray is in the box for 17 mins and he needs someone else to take the point on the PP. I remember a stretch last season when Julien was dressing 7 d, not giving Streit a regular shift but putting him on only for the PP. If Carbo isn't going to roll four lines without Higgins (see last night - Plekanec got ice time but Murray and Downey each only got 6 mins), then there's no real good reason to dress 12 forwards rather than 11.

If Carbo does sit one d, I hope it's Niinimaa. Nothing against the guy but Streit has earned his spot and it would be just plain unfair to take it away from him when he's playing well.

I doubt Dandenault moves back to forward before his injury he was the Canadiens most consistent defenseman to begin the season. He will get some PP time allowing Rivet to play more PK and 5 on 5. Dressing 7 defenceman is a great idea and double shift one the habe more talented forwards (Kovalev).

Forget Dandy at forward:

Left side: Markov, Souray, Niinimaa, Streit

Right side: Komisarek, Rivet, Dandeneault.

How about using Streit as a forward? He's supposed to be one of the best Habs on the shootouts, so maybe he has some untapped winger potential? :P

What are the consequences of dressing a 7th D-man? Does that mean we have to dress one less forward? Is it possible to rotate them as is done with downey/murray?

What are the consequences of dressing a 7th D-man? Does that mean we have to dress one less forward? Is it possible to rotate them as is done with downey/murray?

Yeah a team can dress 20 players which includes 2 goalies.

So if the habs dress 7 D would mean only 11 forwards.

Yeah a team can dress 20 players which includes 2 goalies.

So if the habs dress 7 D would mean only 11 forwards.

That would make sense to see 7 dman since Carbo is already using only 10 or 11 forwards

Dandenault is definitely in, and as far as I'm concerned (if the Habs only dress 6 dmen), Streit is out. Niinimaa is then back on his natural side, and order is restored. Niinimaa was +2, with and assist, through 4 games with Dandenault as his partner. That pairing was looking good early, and they had only played 4 games.

I'd say they'll go with 7 D.

By the way, is it just me or is Garth Murray really struggling to stick with the team this season? I thought he had locked up a grinder role by the stretch drive of last season, especially when he was playing fairly often on the SH crew during the playoffs, but I guess not.

I too am thinking we'll go with 7 D. Especially since some of our D might be coping with injuries, and could use reduced ice-time.

I think Murray will be back in the press box.

If Janne would use the shot he does in warm up a little more (its a bullet)...I would consider keeping him...but I would scratch him...Streit is playing much better and looks good on the second PP. An alternative is to scratch Streit...and if Ninnemma doesnt perform on his natural side, then give Streit the nod.

I for one thought the line with murray downey and plekanec had some pretty good shifts against edmonton... there was one shift where they were in there zone for like 90seconds and created a powerplay.

good game by murray and downey even if they only played 6 minutes!

I for one thought the line with murray downey and plekanec had some pretty good shifts against edmonton... there was one shift where they were in there zone for like 90seconds and created a powerplay.

good game by murray and downey even if they only played 6 minutes!

i find murray dosent belong on the team...the guy asent done much...downey at least drops the gloves

How about having all 7 d-men play for the next couple of games before deciding who will be out?

1. Dandenault has been out for a long period of time, so we don't need to pressure him right away with 20+ minutes of ice time. Carbo should be able to test different defense pairings. I heard Niinima has not been playing on his "natural" side so this could be a chance to prove himself. Streit has been playing much better lately, especially on the PP and shouldn't be cut.

2. The 4th line isn't being use a lot by Carbo. Pleky get his ice-time from the PK. We don't need to dress both Murray AND Downey. I can see Ryder, Samsonov, Latendresse, Kovalev or Perezhogins get some double shifts (or a rotation between them) since they don't get to play any PK time. Our 4th line will look much more dangerous...

Your thoughts?

Edited by hat trick