Ribeiro Does It Again!

gohabsgo252006

For anyone that was doubting that Ribeiro was on his way out, This should help push Gainey in the right direction.

In an interview in a French Hockey Magazinge Planet Hockey, Ribeiro said this

Que pensez-vous de votre capitaine, Saku

Koivu?

Dommage de voir qu’il apporte plus de

leadership à l’équipe fi nlandaise qu’à celle du

Canadien… Faites-vous à l’idée que je ne

peux en dire plus. Donc à vous de juger…

To translate, the reporter asked him what he thought of his Captain Saku Koivu and he responded by saying; it's too bad he brings more leadership to the finnish team then to the Canadiens. Followed by, You get the idea, I'll leave it to you to judge.

Wonderful to see Mr. Ribeiro has learned a lesson here or there.

http://www.planetehockey.com/no20net.pdf

To you Bob, here's your cue, send him packing

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't how reliable Planete Hokey is as a source, but if Ribeiro really said that, there's the next big scandal for Montreal hockey fans. What I would like to know is where is HIS leadership, and where was HE during the last playoffs while Koivu was working his buff off against Boston and Tampa Bay (and again being one of the top playoff performers in the league). Ribeiro was so terrible and useless that Julien prefered using Perreault instead of him... and we all know that he's never had much confidence in Perreault!

Meh... There's been several users on this forum who questionned Koivu's leadership already, myself included. The Olympic Saku is the good old Saku we've seen in Montreal before this season... but where was that Saku this season before the Olympics? He has been invisible for most of the season. Its like day and night out.

If anything, reading that quote from Ribs only confirms my doubts about Saku's leadership. Problem is: Ribeiro is in no place to talk and should have kept his opinions to himself.

Meh... There's been several users on this forum who questionned Koivu's leadership already, myself included. The Olympic Saku is the good old Saku we've seen in Montreal before this season... but where was that Saku this season before the Olympics? He has been invisible for most of the season. Its like day and night out.

If anything, reading that quote from Ribs only confirms my doubts about Saku's leadership. Problem is: Ribeiro is in no place to talk and should have kept his opinions to himself.

Everyone is going to have ups and downs in a season, yes Saku too. What do you want him to do about Theo....I'm sure he's tried everything...or do you want Saku to put pads on himself and go in net.

No-one in this forum knows what happens behind the scenes, in the dressing room, on a day to day basis, or on the bench during a game. I'm sure Saku got the money he deserved with BG's blessing because he is a great leader..........

Just because Finland is winning doesn't make Saku a great leader. If they were losing it would still be the same guy.

Same goes for Montreal, only they are losing. Saku is still Saku only a little richer now.....probably for being exactly who he is, and not his goal scoring abilities.

Leadership does not always equal WINS. A team is as strong as it's weakest link. The habs have a lot of weak links....that is not Saku's fault.

Saku seems to be a natural born leader, he's lucky, and that should never be questioned.

As far as Ribeiro goes........If he really did say that......Geez....I want to like him, but he is a natural born sh**head.

It just shows how clueless that guy really is...

MORON!!!!

Koivu's leadership aside and Rib's dumb as shit comments aside, this confirms an even more troubling thing.

The lack of team attitude in Montreal.

The posts about the different cliques, the obvious inconsistancy on the ice. This team needs a serious trade. Not to upgrade talent but to change the atmosphere in Habland.

Koivu is BRINGING IT in Turin, he looks happy and excited to be playing. Celebration, hugs and kisses after each goal. TEAM Finland......

How about team Montreal? Koivu has no chance currently. Rivet has been accused of being a Koivu lapdog, perhaps he just loves the Habs.

The first step belongs to Gainey and he has already made it. Koivu signed to a long term contract.

The second step is coming and I don't think wanna be rock star Ribs is going to like it. Jose, you better be paying attention.

Gainey does not screw around and the French media has no affect on the greatest leader the Habs have ever known.

The whole thing about "cliques" really started last season when Ribeiro finally went from mediocre to still-useless-but-at-least-a-bit-more-productive. If Koivu and Rivet are a "clique", then fine, bring more of them. These 2 players work hard every game, and bring something positive to the organization. Actually, they seem to care more about the Montreal Canadiens than most Quebec-born players throughout the league. We need more players like that.

But then there was the whining clique of Ribeiro and Dagenais who seem to think that the whole world is conspiring against them, and who seem to care more about their image (and stats) then to help the team win hockey games. They score a goal, and they automatically assume they contributed positively to a game, even though they played terribly, and were dominated practically every shift by the other team's line.

Ribeiro needs to go... actually, he should have never been resigned this summer. Gainey could have signed a better center, and traded away Ribeiro who might have attracted the attention of some dumb GM looking only at Ribeiro's season stats (the Kings were dumb enough to give up Rick Tocchet for overrated Kevin Stevens, even though he was already a huge disappointment in Boston).

As for Koivu's leadership, there isn't a single player in the history of hockey who could have lead the Habs to a Cup over the last 10 years. I believe Koivu is a leader, and that he can lead a team all the way, however, he's never had the chance. After him, the best players were Marc Recchi, Andrei Markov, and a a few gutless wonders like Malakhov, Rucinsky, Zednik, and Kovalev. After that, it was very limited players like Brian Savage, Oleg Petrov, Yannick Perreault, ... even Chad Kilger got to play on the fisrt line for a while (and Koivu managed to make HIM produce a few points).

I don't care if we had had Gretzky or Lemieux instead of Koivu, this team would still have been mediocre over the last 10 years. Even Lemieux didn't win a Cup until he had the support of guys like Francis, Murphy, Coffey, Jagr, Recchi, Mullen, Tocchet, etc.

Koivu's leadership abilities are irrelevant to this story. Ribeiro publicly bashing a teammate is the issue. I have to believe that Bob will recognize this guy is keeping the Habs divided instead of being part of bringing them together, and will make the appropriate change.

Where the F*^$%@ are some of you equating results from a scoreboard to the degree of Koivu's leadership? No sense whatsoever in that?

Do you guys have audio and translation from inside the Finnish team that we dont? Koivu is respected from his fans and teamates in finland Much more than he gets in Montreal! And Plus! Koivu points are mostly assists and I havent seen him do anything different than what he has done in Habs Playoffs!

So in other words You guys would be agreeing that had Zednik or Kovalev or Higgins or any other lame winger scored on his passes like Selanne and the Fins then that would mean Koivu was a great leader??

NO sense whatsoever!

Come on Guys I know were getting bored of No NHL but keep it real!!

As for Ribeiro ... if whats reported is true !!!! Then Bob has only one thing to do!!!

In respect to my wishes before the Olympics!! I gonna get ready so as not to be surprised if Selanne convinces Koivu to come to Anaheim!

Selänne and Koivu are from the same nation so they HAVE to be best friends... thats the thought I hear all the time from here. Id say its a MUCH BIGGER chance for Saku to be traded to his brother Mikko than to Teemu Selänne. Koivu and Selänne didnt even play together before they made it to the NHL. Koivu and Selänne is like Gagne and Joe Thornton are to eachothers. They have played together a few times in the national team and know eachothers alittle.

(I dont know anything about Gagnes and Thorntons relationship so it might be a sucky comparision :P )

Edited by Dalhabs

THIS SEASON...

THIS CURRENT SEASON...

THE PRESENT...

This is the time of reference to say Koivu is lacking leadership. He has not rallied the troups when he should have been, when the Habs were slumping badly.

If Saku would have shown leadership, he would have stepped up his game when the team needed him. Koivu has always been excused for his low-key personnality with the "leader by example" cliché. Well he didnt give the example when he had to.

And he didnt even looked like he was trying to step up. He didnt even looked like he cared. Saku has a halo over his head, so he really had to be looking flat for fans to start questionning his leadership.

But whatever rightful reason might explain why Saku would be slumping -- contract worries or injuries--, its all void now because he's great in the Olympics so far. All I can hope is that after the Olympics, Koivu plays with the same jump as he's doing right now for Finland.

Edited by KoZed

THIS SEASON...

THIS CURRENT SEASON...

THE PRESENT...

This is the time of reference to say Koivu is lacking leadership. He has not rallied the troups when he should have been, when the Habs were slumping badly.

If Saku would have shown leadership, he would have stepped up his game when the team needed him. Koivu has always been excused for his low-key personnality with the "leader by example" cliché. Well he didnt give the example when he had to.

And he didnt even looked like he was trying to step up. He didnt even looked like he cared. Saku has a halo over his head, so he really had to be looking flat for fans to start questionning his leadership.

But whatever rightful reason might explain why Saku would be slumping -- contract worries or injuries--, its all void now because he's great in the Olympics so far. All I can hope is that after the Olympics, Koivu plays with the same jump as he's doing right now for Finland.

This isn't jack and the bean stalk!

Nobody can turn a bag of shit into gold. It takes atleast coal......

Ribs is far from coal but he sure resembles shit.

I pray this isn't turning into a French thing?!

How about Kovalev? The guy is hitting, passing and playing excellent hockey. Is there something wrong with him?

Koivu wins gold and when Gainey makes some changes, then Koivu will win the Stanley cup too.

Fing Ribs

LMFAO

THIS SEASON...

THIS CURRENT SEASON...

THE PRESENT...

Koivu has played well this season. It's true he could've played better at times, but it's also true at various times he was coming off being injured, or the flu... and those are the ailments we know about - maybe there was more. He seems to have also come up with a gritty overtime goal to win a game against Toronto, too.

I'm not generally interested in making excuses for a player, but questioning a player's leadership after a few lacklustre outings among 10 years of great effort (which IS leadership, and not a cliche) doesn't make sense.

Koivu has played well this season. It's true he could've played better at times, but it's also true at various times he was coming off being injured, or the flu... and those are the ailments we know about - maybe there was more. He seems to have also come up with a gritty overtime goal to win a game against Toronto, too.

I remember that game vs Toronto. It was'nt a "gritty" goal. The puck happened to hit him as he was off balance. He was almost invisible for the entire game and got two lucky points. Go back read the game thread for that game, you'll see how people described it.

Since Kovalev went down early in the season, Koivu has had about 1 good game for every 3 bad games and look uninspired and uninspiring most of the time.

I'm not generally interested in making excuses for a player, but questioning a player's leadership after a few lacklustre outings among 10 years of great effort (which IS leadership, and not a cliche) doesn't make sense.

... and I'm not generally one to rush a player to the hanging pole as soon as they show some weaknesses. But so far this season, as far as leadership and inspiration is concerned, I feel that Saku has choked on the team. Want to give him a free pass because of his 10 years of dedication? Fine, its understandable and I could agree with that. But that's a whole new issue I wont get into.

Edited by KoZed

Anyone with an ounce of brain respects Koivu as a player and as a human being - a guy who's overcome immense adversity and has given his all for a decade for the Canadiens. I agree that he's struggled at times this season; so he's not superman. Meanwhile, in a clash between Saks and Ribs, whose side do you take? Well, how about the guy who HASN'T proven himself to be a loud-mouthed, soft, unreliable, whiny piece of shit who has systematically failed to raise his game whenever the Habs really need him to?

Assuming this story to be true, Ribeiro is parroting what has become one of the hobby-horses of the French press, namely Koivu's supposed 'manque de leadership.' They said the same thing about Mark Recchi (!) when he struggled one year, and also about Mike Keane. These are also the same morons who blamed Jeff Hackett when Theodore struggled a few years back ('comment est-ce-que Theo peut avoir de la confiance avec 'ackett sur son dos?' Etc.); now they carry on the tradition of blaming other players when a francophone hero stinks out the joint, blaming KOIVU, the heart and soul of the team, for the simple fact that Ribs has been execrable all season long.

Mitch Melnick pointed out in his blog that this is the first time in over a decade that the French press has ZERO influence over what goes on with the Habs, and that this helps to explain their ridiculous attacks on Koivu. I think a big part of the problem with 'cliques' on the Canadiens is that certain players - bottom-of-the-barrel expansion-team garabage like Dags and Ribeiro, as well as Theodore - read this stuff and find excuses there and scapegoats for their crappy play. Then, obviously, we have a team divided.

Bad news.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Anyone with an ounce of brain respects Koivu as a player and as a human being - a guy who's overcome immense adversity and has given his all for a decade for the Canadiens. I agree that he's struggled at times this season; so he's not superman. Meanwhile, in a clash between Saks and Ribs, whose side do you take? Well, how about the guy who HASN'T proven himself to be a loud-mouthed, soft, unreliable, whiny piece of shit who has systematically failed to raise his game whenever the Habs really need him to?

Assuming this story to be true, Ribeiro is parroting what has become one of the hobby-horses of the French press, namely Koivu's supposed 'manque de leadership.' They said the same thing about Mark Recchi (!) when he struggled one year, and also about Mike Keane. These are also the same morons who argued that we blamed Jeff Hackett when Theodore struggled a few years back ('comment est-ce-que Theo peut avoir de la confiance avec 'ackett sur son dos?' Etc.); now they carry on the tradition of blaming other players when a francophone hero stinks out the joint, blaming KOIVU, the heart and soul of the team, for the simple fact that Ribs has been execrable all season long.

Mitch Melnick pointed out in his blog that this is the first time in over a decade that the French press has ZERO influence over what goes on with the Habs, and that this helps to explain their ridiculous attacks on Koivu. I think a big part of the problem with 'cliques' on the Canadiens is that certain players - bottom-of-the-barrel expansion-team garabage like Dags and Ribeiro, as well as Theodore - read this stuff and find excuses there and scapegoats for their crappy play. Then, obviously, we have a team divided.

Bad news.

Why is every freakin' issue with the Habs somehow related to something about language?

Uggggh.

:wacko:

THIS SEASON...

THIS CURRENT SEASON...

THE PRESENT...

now there's a load of crap... you trying to spread some of that Ribiero crappaganda.

who are you to say Koivu is lacking leadership. Give me concrete evidence of this. I don't see how you could unless you were Ribiero himself. A slumping team is a reflection of the way the team is captained on the ice. Messier and the Rangers had some pretty ugly seasons. Give me a break.

Enough of this nonsense.

1) The 2004 playoff seizure? :wall:

2) Fighting with Koivu in practice - Regular season 2004? :angry:

3) The "Ryder finished more of Ribeiro's good passes" garbage? :puke:

4) His not glorieux performance? <_<

This guy is so unprofessional. Why is he trying to destroy the team?

I guarantee that Gainey is furious. He has to be. Ribeiro is a locker room nightmare. It's just getting to be too much.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Why is every freakin' issue with the Habs somehow related to something about language?

Uggggh.

:wacko:

Kozed,

I usually enjoy reading your posts. The doubt you are showing now makes me feel like your little brother got into your account and is posting these crazy questions, of Koivu's ability to lead this team.

Come on.........really.......it's not even worth arguing. Koivu has led on and off the ice too long to be bashed or questioned as you have.

There is no free pass.....

You know what ahhhhhahahahahahahahahahah F%$$K ...forget it

Who cares what Ribeiro says? ITs not like this will make Gazette Headlines or anything.

Besides, it seems somewhat truthfull. Saku seems to have all the right words when things are going well, but where was he when Montreal was in the shitter? We should be hearing reports of him ripping players heads off, and yelling and screaming and leading by example.

The fact that Ribeiro is a puke, who pulls stupid stunts and says stupid things is no great suprise to anyone. As for trading him, well thats probably not going tohappen either. Maybe an outside chance of him being delt to say Washinton to play with Ovechkin, but whats the return? I think he'll stay put.