Habs Sign Brisebois

InsaneHABSfan

Streit's a LD and nowhere near 1st pair material. Emelin isnt even signed. Brisebois is a RD, Bouillon a LD.

Whose really been hitting the crack pipe?

I think you're taking his pairings too literally as to who plays on the L-R side, also as to determing the minutes distributed amongst the group.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should nominate this thread as the trasher of the year. Many are not happy with the Brisebois signing. I know alot of this has to do with concern over spots being taken from rooks, notably: O'Byrne.

The organization has nothing to judge O'Byrne's ability on other than the Calder cup run. When that ended, so did the Habs' permission to evaluate him. They have no way of evaluting the situation until training camp. If any team is caught with players on the ice in practice sessions (for the exception of the rookie camp - that's different) before training camp, the penalty is harsh in fines and I do believe future picks can be lost as well in penalties. The rule goes so far as to penalize a team if Carbonneau was to step on to a practice facilities ice surface while Ryan is on it. Even if O'Byrne rented the ice himself or even if O'Byrne volunteered and said it was OK, under the CBA and according to the NHLPA and NHL rules on this, that's still a no no.

So, what happens if O'Byrne comes into camp and doesn't make the cut? What if he is (I doubt this highly) not in shape?

Gainey: "Whoops, we should have signed Patrice back in August after all, it's too bad we put our faith in the rookie".

I think it's safe to say that these evaluations will occur and we shall be happy when camp closes. I still see Ryan making the team. And then to top it all off, there is also the belief that this Brisebois signing is setting up for a trade. That's been speculated on as well.

There is really no way that this move can be truly evaluated as a good or bad signing until November IMO.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

We should nominate this thread as the trasher of the year. Many are not happy with the Brisebois signing. I know alot of this has to do with concern over spots being taken from rooks, notably: O'Byrne.

The organization has nothing to judge O'Byrne's ability on other than the Calder cup run. When that ended, so did the Habs' permission to evaluate him. They have no way of evaluting the situation until training camp. If any team is caught with players on the ice in practice sessions (for the exception of the rookie camp - that's different) before training camp, the penalty is harsh in fines and I do believe future picks can be lost as well in penalties. The rule goes so far as to penalize a team if Carbonneau was to step on to a practice facilities ice surface while Ryan is on it. Even if O'Byrne rented the ice himself or even if O'Byrne volunteered and said it was OK, under the CBA and according to the NHLPA and NHL rules on this, that's still a no no.

So, what happens if O'Byrne comes into camp and doesn't make the cut? What if he is (I doubt this highly) not in shape?

Gainey: "Whoops, we should have signed Patrice back in August after all, it's too bad we put our faith in the rookie".

I think it's safe to say that these evaluations will occur and we shall be happy when camp closes. I still see Ryan making the team. And then to top it all off, there is also the belief that this Brisebois signing is setting up for a trade. That's been speculated on as well.

There is really no way that this move can be truly evaluated as a good or bad signing until November IMO. :clap:

Very well thought out and written, I did not know about the rules limiting the observation of players by the team during the off season.

Were not only talking about O'Bryne, we had plenty of other Rookie defense men that could of taken the job. Especially that Patrice is a horrible player. He's a coward, I'm not a fan of Koivu, but I like the way he reacts on the ice and how he doesn't let people push him around, but don't expect Brisebois to go help Koivu, don't expect to see Brisebois on the ice when things start to get rough. Brisebois is basically an idiot with a big mouth.

What about Streit? He could of stayed defense and let Gainey get an other forward from Hamilton.

Edited by Nesquik

Were not only talking about O'Bryne, we had plenty of other Rookie defense men that could of taken the job.

What about Streit? He could of stayed defense and let Gainey get an other forward from Hamilton.

What other defensemen in Hamilton are so ready to take an NHL job? None of them are! In terms of near NHL ready defensemen, the Habs are pretty bare, it's why they've drafted so many of them the last two years. The Habs are 2-3 years from being deep on defense.

And who says Streit won't be on defense this year? They now have 8 NHL ready D-men, including Streit. That's hardly a glutton on NHL ready defenders. O'Byrne possibly makes that number 9.

I think you're taking his pairings too literally as to who plays on the L-R side, also as to determing the minutes distributed amongst the group.

L-R side is a huge deal. It's the difference between the 2000-01 Brisebois and the 2001-02 Brisebois.

Horrible signing...hope I don't ban in here too for saying that.

welcome to the forums, I guess. I think you'll find that there are a lot of people who voiced this same opinion and nobody has been banned for it.

I honestly cannot remember anybody in my tenure as a mod being banned for simply disagreeing with a front office move. I really hope you haven't gotten the impression that this board is the sort of place where that happens.

Edited by simonus
spelling

L-R side is a huge deal. It's the difference between the 2000-01 Brisebois and the 2001-02 Brisebois.

I agree, I just don't see the point in ripping someone who doesn't right out pairings in a certain order. All he was saying is that he sees Streit playing with Hamrlik, and Bouillon and Brisebois playing together. Which is a possibility. Some people right out the lines different ways, not from left to right.

OK everyone, deep breaths now.

welcome to the forums, I guess. I think you'll find that there are a lot of people who voiced this same opinion and nobody has been banned for it.

I honestly cannot remember anybody in my tenure as a mod being banned for simply disagreeing with a front office move. I really hope you haven't gotten the impression that this board is the sort of place where that happens.

Trust me, we don't get banned here for much, I have tried! Warnings yes, bans, no.

As for the signing, good move Bob.

Hopefully the detractors of Brisebois hope they're wrong. I love to be wrong when pondering the negative aspects of the Canadiens. I'd rather be wrong and have my ego bruised and be happy with the erred prediction if that player or situation delivers the exact opposite of the negative I expect.

So, once again to all the detractors - hope you are wrong :lol:

I honestly cannot remember anybody in my tenure as a mod being banned for simply disagreeing with a front office move.

Probably because it's never happened. Heck, nobody has ever been banned for any opinion. As long as you express opinions respectfully and follow the conduct rules, there's no issue.

Yes because it would impossible to find another d-man to fill that vital 7th defenceman position! :lol:

We would have to pack in the season. Aren't you tired of being wrong yet? ^_^

But seriously if this doesnt turn into a bigger trade Gainey just sat on his @$$ this offseason and did next to nothing to improve this team. He will and should be held entirely to blame for alot of things that have gone wrong.

this is what will happen if breezieboissss do decide to try and stand up to anyone on the opposing team...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT6LMhuWyac ... pathetic... ^_^ his best years are so far behind him... patty should have signed with the habs for the least amount he could(or for nothing-if that even is possible) if he just wanted to retire as a habs... nice 700k wastage there... every little bit counts... although the way Gillette is spending elsewhere lately..im sure its jus a drop in the bucket.

its very unfortunate gainey has had a tough year personally... but i feel he has dropped the ball so far this summer.. i hope his moves proves me wrong but if not i think it might be best he step aside... im just not going to blindly "trust" every single move he makes as if he's some extraordinary genius... its also going to bite the habs and a handful of other teams as well when cheraponov do come over to north america... the habs were already loaded with young d-men... big mistake missing out on alexei... :( .. but that's just how i feel about it... only time will tell.

Seems to me that he almost got Smyth. There were attempts for Briere.

Now, I've said this before, but if someone had said to me 5 years ago that Smitty would consider the Habs in 2007-08, I would have rolled my eyes and said, "yeah right". Seems to me that Gainey's sleeves were rolled up this summer. Everyone has been inked prior to arbitration. As a matter of fact, Gainey had the Canadiens fully signed last year at the exact same time (6 days earlier to be exact) in mid-August.

So, here we are back to blame BOB or even maybe suggestions we should fire him. I guess we should start a thread on this. I guess Pierre Gauthier should be the man. Muckler? Any other suggestions?

Everyone says Gainey should do better...please explain how...he backed up a dump truck of money to both Smyth and Briere and they refused to come here. Maybe this should be an eye opening for us fans, if maybe we are the cause of the problems with free agents not wanting to come here.

The Hockey News players' poll had the Habs as the 6th overall choice among players, tied with Colorado.

Kovalev, Hamrlik, Smolinski, Markov, Koivu....all chose to come here/stay here.

It's (mostly) a myth that UFAs 'don't want to play in Montreal.'

Gainey had a very busy summer and, in addition to the signings he did make, was 2nd in the competition for Souray, Briere, and Smyth. Rumours also had him deliberately bowing out of the Arnott sweepstakes two summers ago because he didn't want to pay what Nashville paid. People also forget that, when we signed Kovalev, he was one of the really big UFAs out there. (You may not like Kovy NOW, but that should be a cautionary tale about going too ga-ga over Big Name UFAs as the saviours of the franchise). It's well to remember that there are 29 other cities out there and that every player is an individual with their own peculiar priorities, and also that, if Bob HAD signed Briere or Smyth, people like Red Fisher, who attacked him for not signing a heavy-duty UFA, would be attacking him for inking those ridiculous contracts.

No, Gainey doesn't work miracles. No, he isn't a genius. He's just a thorough, thoughtful (if somewhat boring) GM, universally respected and a proven winner at every level and in every capacity. I have yet to see Bob make a move that was not well thought-out and justifiable - which is not to say that they always work out.

Gainey has not netted the *big fish*, the star everybody wants. He has done every OTHER thing, though: he's created a team with excellent depth at all positions, admirably pursued and developed young talent, and put excellent people everywhere in the organization. Bob is a builder. He's not here for the quick fix. So chill.

Having said all that, some tangible progress this season would be nice. It has to come from the young guns, though. As I keep saying - one breakout season by one young player, and it'll be like we added a UFA.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Everyone says Gainey should do better...please explain how

Some people are never satisfied. No matter what. It's that simple.

We won the cup in '93, BUT..

sigh..

Go Breezer go!

:hlogo:

So, here we are back to blame BOB or even maybe suggestions we should fire him. I guess we should start a thread on this. I guess Pierre Gauthier should be the man. Muckler? Any other suggestions?

If you consider anyone the 1st name on the list should be Scotty Bowman.

Honestly, I didn't think this was a great off-season for UFA forwards. They were overpriced and there haven't been a lot of guys worth backing up the dump truck of money on their porch...

I thought we could have really solidified the defence and acquired another top 4 d-man(not Souray either)...instead we've signed a lot of depth.

My gut feeling is that this team would have been better served making trades to find a marquee forward and/or forwards who better fit what this teams style of play. Having said that, we have LOTS of talent on the farm so waiting it out a little, to see which ones they really want, doesn't hurt.

I wouldn't say it's been a greatly successful off-season but I don't think it's been terrible. You just can't have HUGE off-seasons every year. When you consider the prospect depth and figure they won't slump for such an extended period as they did in the middle of last year...you have to think this team is primed to leap forward and could be a major player at the deadline.

I've been banned 3 times from the Habs message board for saying that Aebischer sucked (that's an understatement), because I said the front office was incompetent, and for being sarcastic....

If we can't criticize the organization once in a while, what are these boards made for then ? Are we suppose to kiss ass 24/7 ?

That's why I joined this board in hope of being able to say what's on my mind (without getting personnal or swearing)

Edited by Jaysix

I've been banned 3 times from the Habs message board for saying that Aebischer sucked (that's an understatement), because I said the front office was incompetent, and for being sarcastic....

If we can't criticize the organization once in a while, what are these boards made for then ? Are we suppose to kiss ass 24/7 ?

That's why I joined this board in hope of being able to say what's on my mind (without getting personnal or swearing)

without knowing the specific details of whatever happened on another board, I hesitate to criticize the mods, but I can say that simply voicing the opinion that a given player is not good or that the front office made a mistake will not get you banned. I happen to like most of the players on the team and respect the habs organization in general, but not every poster need be like minded.

This is no way an invitation for this board to degenerate into a morass of negativity. Constant contrarianism is not a virtue.

without knowing the specific details of whatever happened on another board, I hesitate to criticize the mods, but I can say that simply voicing the opinion that a given player is not good or that the front office made a mistake will not get you banned. I happen to like most of the players on the team and respect the habs organization in general, but not every poster need be like minded.

This is no way an invitation for this board to degenerate into a morass of negativity. Constant contrarianism is not a virtue.

There are some on this board with a negative attitude to what Bob Gainey has done to this team, and then there are others that balance it out with Bob Gainey rules. Personally when I see downright swearing anywhere I move on. Now creative use of swear words sometimes interesting, but mostly lame. (Yup, I have done it, I have sinned ^_^ ) I am still neutral as the drafting decisions have been OK to good, but the signings are just INTERESTING to me, nothing exciting.

I really hope people do not join this board just to criticize the Habs or to Boo our newest "D" Mr. Brisebois. That is what happened to my favorite photography site and now it is just a complaint forum. :angry: And I left......