Edited by Spider-Man NL

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gazette | Price will face Senators [Habs Inside/Out]

Price will face Senators

by Kevin Mio

Carey Price will get the start on Thursday against the Ottawa Senators, The Gazette's Pat Hickey reports after Wednesday's practice.

Garth Murray, who played his first game of the season on Tuesday night, missed practice after blocking a shot against the Panthers. After practice, Steve Bégin didn't know if he would face the Sens, but was hopeful he would get that chance.

Head coach Guy Carbonneau juggled his lines again. Here's what they looked like today:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Kostitsyn-Grabovski-Kovalev

Latendresse-Plekanec-Kostopoulos

Bégin/Chipchura-Smolisnski-Dandenault

There were no changes on defence.

canada.com || Story

Carbo still has trouble with players

By PAT HICKEY

If Guy Carbonneau had one major problem last season, it was communicating with his players. He admitted as much during the offseason, but there was an indication yesterday that the problem still exists.

Carbonneau benched veteran Steve Bégin for last night's game against the Panthers and, while I was surprised by the move, I'll defer to Carbonneau and accept he felt it was something he had to do to help his team.

What is hard to fathom is that Bégin learned he was benched when he walked into the Canadiens' dressing room yesterday and saw he wasn't on any of the lines for the Florida game.

Bégin appeared stunned as he talked to the media after the morning skate. He said he hadn't received any negative feedback from the coach and that Carbonneau hadn't talked to him about the decision.

If Carbo wasn't discussing the decision with Bégin, he certainly wasn't in a mood to share his thoughts with the media.

"I want to talk about the 20 players who are going to be on the ice," Carbonneau said in his opening remarks after the morning skate.

When Andie Bennett of the Team 990 raised the subject of communication five minutes later, Carbonneau was downright testy: "I don't have to talk to the two players on the ice. I'm going to meet with them and tell them what I think. I don't like to talk on the ice in front of the cameras, so you guys can speculate and have fun on TV."

Carbonneau might not feel he has an obligation to explain every move he makes to the folks wielding notebooks and microphones, although the argument could be made the media serves as a surrogate for the fans who ultimately pay his salary.

But it would be to everyone's benefit if he shared his thoughts with his players, particularly those who are directly involved in his decisions.

We saw the fallout last season when Carbonneau made a healthy scratch of Craig Rivet and later benched Saku Koivu during the third period of a game. The coach's failure to explain his decisions led to unnecessary controversy.

Any controversy that arises out of Bégin's tenure on the bench could have been avoided if the coach had taken a few moments to communicate. Coaches are constantly stressing the importance of communication on the ice, but there has to be some in the dressing room as well.

Koivu hung out to dry: Speaking of controversies that could have been avoided, the Canadiens

didn't do captain Saku Koivu any favours when they had him introduce his teammates before the home opener with the tagline: "This is my team."

Given that Koivu has been criticized in the past for not speaking French, you would think someone in the organization would have suggested, nay insisted, that Koivu open his remarks with a "Bonsoir" or close by saying "C'est mon équipe."

That would have forced La Presse columnist Réjean Tremblay, the closet monarchist who is the defender of all things Québécois, to actually work to get a column idea out of the game rather than have a controversy handed to him on a plate.

The Canadiens like to think of themselves as a classy organization and there's no doubt they have a knack for grand gestures.

But on this opening night, they left a very classy guy in an uncomfortable situation. And once again, it could have been avoided with a little thought.

phickey@thegazette.canwest.com

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2007

1001135xf1.jpg

Price will can say that he didn't get the easiest start of history...

Seriously Spidey, you might have to think to copy/paste Kostopoulos in the "who's not" section for the rest of the season. This guy will never get hot.

Ottawa gets a couple quick goals, we chase them the rest of the game and ultimatly lose. Everyone is still happy because we didn't get blown out and we all go back to enjoying our mediocrity. :clap:

Price will play strong but will be hung out to dry.

4-2 Ottawa

Positivity...I am impressed

I say we play hard and/yet wind up with one point.

Some people will complain how we suck because we lost again even though we played well.

Others will say that we were lucky to even get a point out of the Sens.

GO HABS GO! I HAVE FAITH! They played great on Tuesday night (I was there, loved to see fans chanting Huet after the PP goal) and hopefully they'll be able to stifle Ottawa at least half as effectively as they did Florida. No penalties please!

Hey if I am wrong you can quote my post and make fun of me post game :D

Well, I imagine it won't be the only time you predict a loss, they can't lose them all right.

So I will get my chance I guess.

I will watch, I will hope, I will cheer. Price Price baby

Hey if I am wrong you can quote my post and make fun of me post game :D
Cheer up man. Last year before the Sens faced us their club admitted it would be a real test on their abilities. Mostly on account of our speed and skill. Between the two teams, what has changed roster wise between us? No Priessing or Souray etc etc. We did OK against them last year. The Habs should play well. Over the last 3 years we have always showed up for these Sens games.

Go Habs. Go Hamrlik :clap:

:hlogo:

This is a BIG test for Price. Talk about trials by fire. I hope he comes up in spades!

Also, I hope that the offense gets kick started. I think the whole team is now in an official funk ... they need a big break out game to get everyone feeling looser. Higgins, Ryder, Kostistin, Pleks, Koivu ... none of our guys are scoring.

We have a great chance of winning this game. Last year the Ottawa games were not only fun to watch but the Habs played great against them (for most games).

Higgins is so close to busting out I really hope this is his night.

So do I.

A little less talk a little more action please.

I know he is working hard but I WANT RESULTS

6-2 Habs

Plexs gets 3

Wife goes to bed saying "yeah,yeah, it's only one game"

Price has little to no chance on there 2 goals by there 1 big line, otherwise plays steller.

Ryder hits the board.

GO HABS GO !!

Bring it!!