Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

It's gone the way of the proper use of the semi-colon and the apostrophe, and now burns in whatever hell awaits a goodly portion of basic English grammar. :angry:

I once had a semi colon and using it was a catastrophe! :P

http://sports.sympatico.ca/NHL/ContentPost...c&date=True

Recent reports suggest the Flyers could target Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price, who appears to have lost the starter's job to Jaroslav Halak. Both are restricted free agents this summer, but there's talk Price might be available.

The Delaware County Times believes the Canadiens might accept one of the Flyers' expensive forwards or a young, affordable talent like Claude Giroux or James van Riemsdyk.

With the Canadiens pressed for cap space next season (just like the Flyers) and key players still to re-sign, they would probably prefer Giroux or van Riemsdyk over, say, Simon Gagne or Daniel Briere, provided either veteran would even be willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to Montreal.

However, for now it's uncertain what the Canadiens will do with their two young goalies, or for that matter, if the Flyers will go the trade route to bolster their depth between the pipes.

Recent reports suggest the Flyers could target Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price, who appears to have lost the starter's job to Jaroslav Halak. Both are restricted free agents this summer, but there's talk Price might be available.

The Delaware County Times believes the Canadiens might accept one of the Flyers' expensive forwards or a young, affordable talent like Claude Giroux or James van Riemsdyk.

With the Canadiens pressed for cap space next season (just like the Flyers) and key players still to re-sign, they would probably prefer Giroux or van Riemsdyk over, say, Simon Gagne or Daniel Briere, provided either veteran would even be willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to Montreal.

However, for now it's uncertain what the Canadiens will do with their two young goalies, or for that matter, if the Flyers will go the trade route to bolster their depth between the pipes.

Here we go again. All the same, the rumours are understandable under the circumstances.

It may be reaching a point where trading Price is a good idea simply because he is unlikely to want to stay in Montreal over the longer term. You're talking about a young man who has basically had to endure two years of very public failure and humiliation, punctuated by intermittent fan jeering. And then you've got Jaro, who - with all due respect to Wamsley and his wise counsel that we have to wait for Halak to cycle through the league for at least one more season before coming to some final determination on his longer-term potential - just seems to meet every challenge with aplomb, and has done so consistently since he was first interred as an emergency replacement for Huet way back when,

If Gauthier were to trade Price for a cheap young impact position player, I'd certainly be nervous about it; but I'd probably defer to his expertise as a player evaluator and to the increasing vibe of inevitable doom radiating from Price's relationship to Montreal.

This playoffs will dictate a lot of the future of Price and Halak. Lets see if the Halak fans still clamour for his resigning if he bombs out in four games (not that I believe it), there's plenty of evidence to suggest Halak does not play well against the tough opponents, so we shall see. I hope we keep both because I do not believe the return will be anywheres near enough for either. Another thing to consider is RFA offer sheet...how much is too much to keep either Price or Halak.

What ever happened to should have instead of should of?

Oh ghastly, my mistake... To be honest I've never stopped and asked myself if its would, should, could've, could of, coulda or Could have....(English i know is from TV) I am guilty of phonetic laziness.... What's worse... Ive been reading that it seems; should, could and would OF will be accepted as modern alternatives due to its massive use in written English.... This would be horrible!!!

What are you basing this assumption on? So far all signs point to Pleks resigning before free agency.

I'm basing my assupmtion based on last years agreement which needed to go to arbitration. Besides my nose tells me that Plekanec doesn't enjoy playing here and would easily move. Time will tell! :blink:

This playoffs will dictate a lot of the future of Price and Halak. Lets see if the Halak fans still clamour for his resigning if he bombs out in four games (not that I believe it), there's plenty of evidence to suggest Halak does not play well against the tough opponents, so we shall see. I hope we keep both because I do not believe the return will be anywheres near enough for either. Another thing to consider is RFA offer sheet...how much is too much to keep either Price or Halak.

He played very well against some tough oponents in the olympics so i think that question has been solved.

He played very well against some tough oponents in the olympics so i think that question has been solved.

Bronze medal game says no. If Price has not proved anything to the pundits out there one partial season against below average opponents and a olympic run does for Halak?

Until Halak does it against good opponents he hasn't proven anything.

Bronze medal game says no. If Price has not proved anything to the pundits out there one partial season against below average opponents and a olympic run does for Halak?

Until Halak does it against good opponents he hasn't proven anything.

2 SO's in a row against Flyers and Sabres?

I believe in Halak at the moment, but I must remind you that Huet has 2 SO's in a row when he played for Montreal, and Brian Boucher(!) had 5 consecutive shutouts when he played for Phoenix in 2003.

What if Halak bombs in 4 straight games...what will these 2 SOs matter? Will you still have the same attitude? What's wrong with a wait and see attitude?

What if Halak bombs in 4 straight games...what will these 2 SOs matter? Will you still have the same attitude? What's wrong with a wait and see attitude?

The thing is that Halak has been able to bail out our poor defensive play alot more than Price has this season and since this summer will most likely bring the departure of one of them Id take the one who played best most recent and that is Halak at this moment. Can I ask what you would do? You have two goalies at around the same age and one has been alot better than the other whole season and you have to pick one, would you pick the benchwarmer?

btw. I hope we somehow can keep both. Price shouldnt be very expensive after this season should he?

Edited by Dalhabs

The thing is that Halak has been able to bail out our poor defensive play alot more than Price has this season and since this summer will most likely bring the departure of one of them Id take the one who played best most recent and that is Halak at this moment. Can I ask what you would do? You have two goalies at around the same age and one has been alot better than the other whole season and you have to pick one, would you pick the benchwarmer?

btw. I hope we somehow can keep both. Price shouldnt be very expensive after this season should he?

Jim Carey, Tim Thomas. These are two examples of players that came out of nowheres as goalies, and their long term contracts don't seem very good right now. The concept of one being better than another I don't buy. There are tons of stats on this site about the opponents of each goalie, and really injuries have played a large part in the goalies success/failure. I prefer a longterm vision over short term. You can't define a career by one good/bad season, I would keep them both. If I had to choose I'd go with Price, because Halak will give you the most return on a trade, and I believe Halak is not as good as Price will be long term.

Jim Carey, Tim Thomas. These are two examples of players that came out of nowheres as goalies, and their long term contracts don't seem very good right now. The concept of one being better than another I don't buy. There are tons of stats on this site about the opponents of each goalie, and really injuries have played a large part in the goalies success/failure. I prefer a longterm vision over short term. You can't define a career by one good/bad season, I would keep them both. If I had to choose I'd go with Price, because Halak will give you the most return on a trade, and I believe Halak is not as good as Price will be long term.

Well said !

I'd also like to point out that Price and Halak are not "close to the same age" at 22 Halak was watching NHL games on tv for the most part.

Trade Halak at the draft for some nice young guys and lets see what Price can do in the next 2 years (then he will be the same age as Halak now)

No thank you!! Trading Carey to philadelphia solves the goaltending problems they've had since Ron Hextall. He'd be there 12 years, and probably win a cup or two. Not into helping that bumbling organization.

I believe in Halak at the moment, but I must remind you that Huet has 2 SO's in a row when he played for Montreal, and Brian Boucher(!) had 5 consecutive shutouts when he played for Phoenix in 2003.

^_^:clap:

I think we'd be crazy to move Price and keep Halak in pure hockey terms. Have a look at Halak's career stats - he has not done anything like this before. (Not to say that he isn't the real deal, just that it's way too soon to give him the crown on a permanent basis). Keep both, yes.

The issue is just that we may already have lost Price. If you were him, would you be planning to stick around once you're a UFA, given all the humiliation you've had to endure so far in Montreal? This doesn't mean we should move him right away, but it does suggest that longer-term thinking requires us to prepare for a possibly Price-less future, and that increases the importance of keeping Halak around.

Also, the scenario in question is not simply 'losing Price;' it's trading Price for, say, Jeff Carter, or Claude Giroulx, or whatever. If we could bag (say) a young top-6 forward or top-4 D-man in exchange, you need to factor that into the equation: Halak + top-6 forward vs. Price + nobody.

I think we'd be crazy to move Price and keep Halak in pure hockey terms. Have a look at Halak's career stats - he has not done anything like this before. (Not to say that he isn't the real deal, just that it's way too soon to give him the crown on a permanent basis). Keep both, yes.

The issue is just that we may already have lost Price. If you were him, would you be planning to stick around once you're a UFA, given all the humiliation you've had to endure so far in Montreal? This doesn't mean we should move him right away, but it does suggest that longer-term thinking requires us to prepare for a possibly Price-less future, and that increases the importance of keeping Halak around.

Also, the scenario in question is not simply 'losing Price;' it's trading Price for, say, Jeff Carter, or Claude Giroulx, or whatever. If we could bag (say) a young top-6 forward or top-4 D-man in exchange, you need to factor that into the equation: Halak + top-6 forward vs. Price + nobody.

Couldnt have said it better and about Price winning 2 cups in Philadelphia... Im cheering for the habs to win, not for the habs to see to it that other teams doesnt win.

There's no guarantee that Halak will stick around after he's a UFA either. The argument you posed is incorrect though CC, because if you kept price and traded Halak you would have the + somebody.

There's no guarantee that Halak will stick around after he's a UFA either. The argument you posed is incorrect though CC, because if you kept price and traded Halak you would have the + somebody.

Well, the assumption is that Price yields more in return.

Well...how can the worse player be worth more? I just trying to undertstand the argument.

Because many people in the league believe that Price is a potential franchise goalie. Fewer people believe this to be true of Halak, although Halak is the better goalie right now. In effect, teams are willing to pay for potential; or so runs the theory.

I have no idea if this is true, but somehow I think it is.

Because many people in the league believe that Price is a potential franchise goalie. Fewer people believe this to be true of Halak, although Halak is the better goalie right now. In effect, teams are willing to pay for potential; or so runs the theory.

I have no idea if this is true, but somehow I think it is.

Price's only flaw is "maturity".

And it happens so that you gain maturity with age.