Subban files for arbitration

hab29RETIRED

Claude Giroux (3 year deal after his ELC)

Eric Staal (3 year deal after his ELC)

Shea Weber (3 year deal after his ELC)

Pavel Datsyuk (2 year deal after his ELC)

Jason Spezza (1 year deal after his ELC followed by a 2 year deal)

Matt Duchene (2 year deal after his ELC)

So... Philly, Carolina, Nashville, Detroit, Ottawa, and Colorado (and I gave up looking after finding six). Those are all or were perceived to be franchise-type players.

Other than Weber who else went to arbitration?

The RFA match nashville ended up with was worse than it would have costed to lock up Weber before the first arbitration award.

Stall's 3 year deal was for an AVG hit of $4.5M and than he got the $8.25M

Giroux got 3.75M than 8.25M. after his ELC he was only a 37 point forward.

datysuk $3.9M and than $6.7M (with Lidstrom cap in place)

Duchsance got $3.5M and than $6M. Had only 28 points last year of his ELC

Spezza got 1.1M, 4.5M and than $7M. During the third year of his ELC he was playing for the baby sens after the lockout lost season when everyone took a huge pay cut.

Everyone other than Duchene got a much better 2nd year deal than Subban. None of them got a major MVP type award like a Norris.

The arbitrator can only award a one year deal, not two (the Habs had the choice and elected one year).

My guess is that an arbitration award will be a minimum of the $7.5M and likely closer to the $8.5M that Subban asked for. so even with a one year award, Subban's qualifying offer next year will probably be over $8M. MB is playing with fire.

The RFA match nashville ended up with was worse than it would have costed to lock up Weber before the first arbitration award.

Stall's 3 year deal was for an AVG hit of $4.5M and than he got the $8.25M

Giroux got 3.75M than 8.25M. after his ELC he was only a 37 point forward.

datysuk $3.9M and than $6.7M (with Lidstrom cap in place)

Duchsance got $3.5M and than $6M. Had only 28 points last year of his ELC

Spezza got 1.1M, 4.5M and than $7M. During the third year of his ELC he was playing for the baby sens after the lockout lost season when everyone took a huge pay cut.

Everyone other than Duchene got a much better 2nd year deal than Subban. None of them got a major MVP type award like a Norris.

Okay. Your question was name a team that didn't lock a guy like Subban (ie, a franchise-type player) long-term at the first opportunity. These guys were all either established already and/or perceived to be big time guys in the future. They all got shorter-term deals first. For the record, keep in mind the heavy backloading for Subban which enabled him to get $3.75 M last year which isn't that far off of some of these guys. (His first year was heavily pro-rated due to the lockout and early-season dispute.)

My guess is that an arbitration award will be a minimum of the $7.5M and likely closer to the $8.5M that Subban asked for. so even with a one year award, Subban's qualifying offer next year will probably be over $8M. MB is playing with fire.

It's a risk for sure if it gets to that point. It's not there yet though, Sunday is the final deadline.

Okay. Your question was name a team that didn't lock a guy like Subban (ie, a franchise-type player) long-term at the first opportunity. These guys were all either established already and/or perceived to be big time guys in the future. They all got shorter-term deals first. For the record, keep in mind the heavy backloading for Subban which enabled him to get $3.75 M last year which isn't that far off of some of these guys. (His first year was heavily pro-rated due to the lockout and early-season dispute.)

It's a risk for sure if it gets to that point. It's not there yet though, Sunday is the final deadline.

it should never have gotten this far. They better get a LT deal done before than!!!

It doesn't matter when the deal gets done, just that it does. Everything else is wasted energy.

for some reason that doesn't seem like a foregone conclusion anymore.

Everyone in my office is glued to their computers following this. It feels like an Olympic hockey game, "any news?" "Did Subban sign?!" "WTF are the Canadiens doing?!!"

At least 3 guys have walked by my office wearing Subban jerseys. This is hilarious!

Everyone in my office is glued to their computers following this. It feels like an Olympic hockey game, "any news?" "Did Subban sign?!" "WTF are the Canadiens doing?!!"

At least 3 guys have walked by my office wearing Subban jerseys. This is hilarious!

The Habs are serious business man.

Very, very, VERY disappointed in Bergevin on this front.

No doubt, there are sincere arguments over how much the cap is expected to increase. But like Habs29 says, it's playing with fire, exposing the entire organization - and this generation's chance of winning a Cup - to needless risk. It doesn't matter what Bergevin thinks, the simple, unalterable fact is that PK Subban is going to get a massive payday, either from us or from some other organization. This guy likes to overpay turds like Lars Eller because someday they might get reliably good, but suddenly treats nickels like manhole covers when it comes to this absolute stud franchise player.

Bizarre. And Zoot Suit's strategy had BETTER work. If we lose Subban I'm not sure I will ever forgive the organization. Trading Patrick Roy for Mario Tremblay was enough.

for some reason that doesn't seem like a foregone conclusion anymore.

I'm honestly not worried at all. Even if the arbitrator rules and he gets a one year deal. I still think a deal will get done and Subban will be a Hab on the long term once they negotiate again, if that does come up.

I'll worry when Subban is an unrestricted free agent. Until then it's just smoke.

• Upvote 1

I hope he is right cause that would be very good news, you don't jerk the arb around unless you are real close to a deal. Is PK there? or just his agent? And a about 100 lawyers probably :)

I'm honestly not worried at all. Even if the arbitrator rules and he gets a one year deal. I still think a deal will get done and Subban will be a Hab on the long term once they negotiate again, if that does come up.

I'll worry when Subban is an unrestricted free agent. Until then it's just smoke.

I have to agree with MOLG

This is all just a part of the process. Subban's ego and joie de vivre will not be affected in any way because of the hard line that MB has taken.

Everyone seems to be upset over Bergevin's handling of the negotiation process, yet no one has mentioned the obvious; that all of this is clearly endorsed by Molson himself. He and MB are both on the same page and will never do something as stupid as risk losing the most valuable Hab since Roy.

They are using whatever means they have on their side to get the best possible deal for the well being of the franchise; and that makes me hopeful. The end

I have to agree with MOLG

This is all just a part of the process. Subban's ego and joie de vivre will not be affected in any way because of the hard line that MB has taken.

Everyone seems to be upset over Bergevin's handling of the negotiation process, yet no one has mentioned the obvious; that all of this is clearly endorsed by Molson himself. He and MB are both on the same page and will never do something as stupid as risk losing the most valuable Hab since Roy.

They are using whatever means they have on their side to get the best possible deal for the well being of the franchise; and that makes me hopeful. The end

We don't know that. I know that Molson might have to approve the final numbers, but he doesn't have a hand in the day to day operations of the team.

We don't know that. I know that Molson might have to approve the final numbers, but he doesn't have a hand in the day to day operations of the team.

If Molson was upset about this he'd tell Bergevin to take what is on the table and end it. And Bergevin would. And if Bergevin didn't like it, he could ask to resign.

listening to TSN. Sounds like Subban just walked out of the session, looking pretty unhappy/upset.

The problem is that every stage where we fail to lock him up brings Subban closer to UFA status. At some point, a threshold is crossed where the player thinks, "well, I'm only X months away from free agency...why not test the waters?"

This is especially true when the organization has repeatedly failed to offer the kind of deal he's looking for. If they can't come to terms now, why would they suddenly do so three months from now?

Like I say, if they lose Subban, I seriously re-consider my allegiance to this organization.

If Molson was upset about this he'd tell Bergevin to take what is on the table and end it. And Bergevin would. And if Bergevin didn't like it, he could ask to resign.

Then Bergevin tells him "ok, when I'm done doing that can you call up Ramage with his travel schedule?"

Molson: "What do you mean?"

MB: "You don't have Rammer's number?"

Molson: "No."

MB: "That's right. I'll do the management around here, and you can do the ownership."

The problem is that every stage where we fail to lock him up brings Subban closer to UFA status. At some point, a threshold is crossed where the player thinks, "well, I'm only X months away from free agency...why not test the waters?"

This is especially true when the organization has repeatedly failed to offer the kind of deal he's looking for. If they can't come to terms now, why would they suddenly do so three months from now?

Like I say, if they lose Subban, I seriously re-consider my allegiance to this organization.

I am with you, this is a watershed moment for me.

I really wish the damn molson's didn't repurchase the habs! This is the same friggin family that oversaw the shit show that lost us Roy for peanuts!

I really wish the damn molson's didn't repurchase the habs! This is the same friggin family that oversaw the shit show that lost us Roy for peanuts!

Molson is a puppy dog. I was always surprised about the turnaround with the Roy trade. Seemed like it happened overnight. They should have waited him out.